Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What does beholder meat taste like?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mastermustard
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  05:58:33  Show Profile Send mastermustard a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
...is it even edible?

Weird question, I know. :P

Has this ever been discussed? Say an adventurer gets trapped in a cave with a dead beholder, and has run out of food. That beholder is one ugly son of a gun, but he's starting to look more appetizing as the adventurer's hunger progresses.

Does it taste like chicken?

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  06:38:54  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hahaha, that's what the Monster Manual misses. Each entry should have a 'Edible:Y/N/ and Taste' section :) Just in case...
...if I ran a game where a PC tried to eat a nice slice of beholder, I'd have the character make a saving throw versus being poisoned if eaten raw (with failed throw = character loses 1d4 hit points max a day intil death); if cooked or roasted, perhaps 1d2 hp pr day; and if the character goes for the most tasty part - an eye stalk (mmmm!) I'd go with "fulfilling for a while followed by a torrent of diarrhoea". :p Not saying that I think of beholders as poisonous but that you get awfully sick.

As for taste, I imagine that the meat is very...what's the word, the opposite of tender - with a "dry" taste, and a slightly acidic aftertaste...but that's just me, beholder meat might be the greatest thing since burgers.
Go to Top of Page

mastermustard
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  07:06:50  Show Profile Send mastermustard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ey, thanks. That was just what I needed.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  07:11:19  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, Tyrant says that beholders are edible.

They taste of extremely bad, very greasy pork. The meat spoils quickly as well - it will be completely inedible after a couple of days.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  07:27:30  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say the texture of beholder meat is mostly like eyeball (i.e. gelatinous, squishy, with a softer semi-liquid filling), with a touch of snake (tough, lean meat) and tentacle (tough & chewy).

Tastes of old pork soaked in brine.

Edited by - BenN on 26 Jul 2015 07:28:20
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  10:20:01  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow there is actually beholder meat lol
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  15:05:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

Hahaha, that's what the Monster Manual misses. Each entry should have a 'Edible:Y/N/ and Taste' section :) Just in case...

That's what I miss from 2E -- monster write-ups that treated monsters as something other than bundles of hit points waiting for combat. Their ecology, social grouping, reproduction -- all those things were discussed, along with a line or two on what their body parts could be used for.

Since 2E, the only books that have taken that approach are the Monsternomicon books of the 3.x Iron Kingdoms RPG, and the Pathfinder books that devote an entire book to a dozen monsters.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  15:06:02  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Realms I would wager that there are cults who believe consuming Beholder meat brings one closer to what it is to be a Beholder.

Lesser Beholders and Beholder-kin probably have a different taste altogether and are likely easier to capture and consume.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  15:06:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you look in Realmspace, under the the Skull of the Void in the 'additional astronomicals' section, you will find that illithids love beholder brains - the entire structure is a giant ranch where they raise them as a food source!

I can just picture Bruenor's mouth watering...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  15:33:44  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just impressed someone wants to look into the subject.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  18:15:13  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chicken!
Sorry i couldnt help it. LOL
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  18:52:02  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just something to consider: "meat" isn't always muscle tissue.

Beholders might have some internal smooth muscle for moving food through their internal organs and such, but they aren't going to have any tasty muscle tissue like leg or thigh meat - since they don't have legs and the like. They use magic to float around rather than having muscles to push against gravity or even the fluid dynamics of water.

I'd imagine beholders as having a leather-like external skin, thick and rough, with their tentacles being like squid or octopus tentacle arms (minus the tentacle suckers). Thin sheaths of smooth muscle over something cartilaginous to support the neural stalks, so a high concentration of gristle and fat. The eyes themselves would taste like, well, eyeballs.

Internally, a highly fatty large brain mass bathed in plasma-like circulatory fluid (rather like ventricular fluid), high in electrolytes and proteins, and various fatty internal organs surrounded by sheaths of smooth muscle.

So overall, a highly fatty and lightly muscled "meat" that is rather blubbery and sloshy-wet. Somewhere in-between raw squid and sheep brains.

Yuck, really. "And I thought they smelled bad on the outside," IMO.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  22:19:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

Somewhere in-between raw squid and sheep brains.

Yuck, really. "And I thought they smelled bad on the outside," IMO.

I had pork brains, once. It was the single most revolting thing I have ever tasted.

I spit out the mouthful I had, dumped the rest of my serving down the drain, got a clean plate and fork and moved the rest of my food to it, and literally wiped off my tongue with a paper towel.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2015 :  13:58:00  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beholder meat is tasty when cooked extra rare and seasoned with nightshade and wolfsbane.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000