Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What does beholder meat taste like?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mastermustard Posted - 26 Jul 2015 : 05:58:33
...is it even edible?

Weird question, I know. :P

Has this ever been discussed? Say an adventurer gets trapped in a cave with a dead beholder, and has run out of food. That beholder is one ugly son of a gun, but he's starting to look more appetizing as the adventurer's hunger progresses.

Does it taste like chicken?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Artemas Entreri Posted - 27 Jul 2015 : 13:58:00
Beholder meat is tasty when cooked extra rare and seasoned with nightshade and wolfsbane.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Jul 2015 : 22:19:22
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

Somewhere in-between raw squid and sheep brains.

Yuck, really. "And I thought they smelled bad on the outside," IMO.

I had pork brains, once. It was the single most revolting thing I have ever tasted.

I spit out the mouthful I had, dumped the rest of my serving down the drain, got a clean plate and fork and moved the rest of my food to it, and literally wiped off my tongue with a paper towel.
Eltheron Posted - 26 Jul 2015 : 18:52:02
Just something to consider: "meat" isn't always muscle tissue.

Beholders might have some internal smooth muscle for moving food through their internal organs and such, but they aren't going to have any tasty muscle tissue like leg or thigh meat - since they don't have legs and the like. They use magic to float around rather than having muscles to push against gravity or even the fluid dynamics of water.

I'd imagine beholders as having a leather-like external skin, thick and rough, with their tentacles being like squid or octopus tentacle arms (minus the tentacle suckers). Thin sheaths of smooth muscle over something cartilaginous to support the neural stalks, so a high concentration of gristle and fat. The eyes themselves would taste like, well, eyeballs.

Internally, a highly fatty large brain mass bathed in plasma-like circulatory fluid (rather like ventricular fluid), high in electrolytes and proteins, and various fatty internal organs surrounded by sheaths of smooth muscle.

So overall, a highly fatty and lightly muscled "meat" that is rather blubbery and sloshy-wet. Somewhere in-between raw squid and sheep brains.

Yuck, really. "And I thought they smelled bad on the outside," IMO.
Saxmilian Posted - 26 Jul 2015 : 18:15:13
Chicken!
Sorry i couldnt help it. LOL
Hoondatha Posted - 26 Jul 2015 : 15:33:44
I'm just impressed someone wants to look into the subject.
Markustay Posted - 26 Jul 2015 : 15:06:51
If you look in Realmspace, under the the Skull of the Void in the 'additional astronomicals' section, you will find that illithids love beholder brains - the entire structure is a giant ranch where they raise them as a food source!

I can just picture Bruenor's mouth watering...
Jeremy Grenemyer Posted - 26 Jul 2015 : 15:06:02
In the Realms I would wager that there are cults who believe consuming Beholder meat brings one closer to what it is to be a Beholder.

Lesser Beholders and Beholder-kin probably have a different taste altogether and are likely easier to capture and consume.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Jul 2015 : 15:05:40
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

Hahaha, that's what the Monster Manual misses. Each entry should have a 'Edible:Y/N/ and Taste' section :) Just in case...

That's what I miss from 2E -- monster write-ups that treated monsters as something other than bundles of hit points waiting for combat. Their ecology, social grouping, reproduction -- all those things were discussed, along with a line or two on what their body parts could be used for.

Since 2E, the only books that have taken that approach are the Monsternomicon books of the 3.x Iron Kingdoms RPG, and the Pathfinder books that devote an entire book to a dozen monsters.
Caladan Brood Posted - 26 Jul 2015 : 10:20:01
Wow there is actually beholder meat lol
BenN Posted - 26 Jul 2015 : 07:27:30
I would say the texture of beholder meat is mostly like eyeball (i.e. gelatinous, squishy, with a softer semi-liquid filling), with a touch of snake (tough, lean meat) and tentacle (tough & chewy).

Tastes of old pork soaked in brine.
hashimashadoo Posted - 26 Jul 2015 : 07:11:19
I, Tyrant says that beholders are edible.

They taste of extremely bad, very greasy pork. The meat spoils quickly as well - it will be completely inedible after a couple of days.
mastermustard Posted - 26 Jul 2015 : 07:06:50
Ey, thanks. That was just what I needed.
Caladan Brood Posted - 26 Jul 2015 : 06:38:54
Hahaha, that's what the Monster Manual misses. Each entry should have a 'Edible:Y/N/ and Taste' section :) Just in case...
...if I ran a game where a PC tried to eat a nice slice of beholder, I'd have the character make a saving throw versus being poisoned if eaten raw (with failed throw = character loses 1d4 hit points max a day intil death); if cooked or roasted, perhaps 1d2 hp pr day; and if the character goes for the most tasty part - an eye stalk (mmmm!) I'd go with "fulfilling for a while followed by a torrent of diarrhoea". :p Not saying that I think of beholders as poisonous but that you get awfully sick.

As for taste, I imagine that the meat is very...what's the word, the opposite of tender - with a "dry" taste, and a slightly acidic aftertaste...but that's just me, beholder meat might be the greatest thing since burgers.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000