Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2590 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2015 :  20:26:01  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the Duergar preview http://www.enworld.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=71411&d=1445801276

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2015 :  21:31:44  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the book in front of me, you guys ask me anything you want, lore or crunch.
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Learned Scribe

Japan
335 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2015 :  21:58:20  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gambit

I have the book in front of me, you guys ask me anything you want, lore or crunch.

Any updates about the Moonshaes & Evermeet?
Go to Top of Page

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2015 :  22:03:14  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Its not just Sharess that's left out, but most of the demigods. That's very disappointing, they were supposed to bring the Pantheons back, not dump the demigods.

I'm looking at both the 3E FRCS and SCAG right now, here is a breakdown of the Faerunian pantheon demigod deities (those who had a "D" next to their name in the FRCS) who both made the new book and those who were left out.

Included:
Gwaeron Windstrom
Hoar
Jergal
Red Knight
Sarvas
Valkur

Not included:
Finder Wyvernspur
Garagos
Gargauth
Lurue (though she is mentioned in the Mielikki section)
Nobanion
Sharess
Shiallia
Siamorphe
Ulutiu
Velsharoon

Edited by - Gambit on 25 Oct 2015 22:56:48
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2590 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2015 :  22:03:41  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Since I want to finish updating this page: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Eilistraee,

does the book say if Eilistraee is considered a demipower or a lesser power post-Sundering, what her divine realm and portfolio are?

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2015 :  22:18:05  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

quote:

Any updates about the Moonshaes & Evermeet?

Both receive about a page and a half breakdown.

I honestly dont know much about the Moonshaes, it has never been a particular draw for myself within the setting, so I am therefore unaware of its status during 4E and what would have changed. It talks about the Fflok and the Northlanders, and the individual islands.

For Evermeet, basically it's back. It is whispered that it now straddles the 3 realms of Faerun, the Feywild, and Avandor, that it touches them all, but exists fully in none of them. To find it you must follow a pattern of stars until the stars change and then follow new stars.

Edited by - Gambit on 25 Oct 2015 23:20:04
Go to Top of Page

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2015 :  22:24:20  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

Since I want to finish updating this page: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Eilistraee,

does the book say if Eilistraee is considered a demipower or a lesser power post-Sundering, what her divine realm and portfolio are?

Gods aren't given official rank classifications. Here everything for her listing.

Eilistraee, CG goddess of song and moonlight.
Light and nature domains.
Symbol: Sword-wielding dancing drow female silhouetted against the full moon.

It seems only main "portfolios" are given in the list. For example, on the table it lists Lathander as the god of dawn and renewal, but under his multi paragraph description entry, it says he is "The god of spring, birth, and renewal, a deity of conception, vitality, youth, renewal, and self-perfection. He is not a god of the sun but of the dawn".

Overall things aren't super hard codified with regards to small details.

Edited by - Gambit on 25 Oct 2015 22:35:12
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2590 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2015 :  22:30:47  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Gods aren't given official rank classifications. Here everything for her listing.

Eilistraee, CG goddess of song and moonlight.
Light and nature domains.
Symbol: Sword-wielding dancing drow female silhouetted against the full moon.

So her portfolio has been reduced to song and moonlight? Or does it list more in her description under the race section re. the drow? Thanks for looking.

Go to Top of Page

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2015 :  22:33:47  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I edited my previous post because I thought you might ask that, you just beat me to a follow up question. :P
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2590 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2015 :  22:38:44  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I edited my previous post because I thought you might ask that, you just beat me to a follow up question. :P

Yes, I saw. But I don't get what you mean with super hard codified. Does it mean that no other portfolio beyond those two is mentioned in the other description (which I've been told should be in chapter 3).

Go to Top of Page

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2015 :  22:51:48  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just looked, and here is her small blurb in the elven religion section.

"Some drow exiles have heard the song of Eilistraee, urging them out onto the surface to behold the moon as it rises. The drow goddess of song, beauty, swordwork, hunting, and moonlight, she is the patron of drow who reject the evils of their society, offering them light and hope."

That's all there is on her in the entire book.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2590 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2015 :  22:53:50  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just looked, and here is her small blurb in the elven religion section.

"Some drow exiles have heard the song of Eilistraee, urging them out onto the surface to behold the moon as it rises. The drow goddess of song, beauty, swordwork, hunting, and moonlight, she is the patron of drow who reject the evils of their society, offering them light and hope."

That's all there is on her in the entire book.

Thanks. So she has indeed lost the portfolio of Dance. Well, that's weird

Go to Top of Page

BenN
Learned Scribe

Japan
335 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2015 :  23:29:13  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I honestly dont know much about the Moonshaes, it has never been a particular draw for myself within the setting, so I am therefore unaware of its status during 4E and what would have changed. It talks about the Fflok and the Northlanders, and the individual islands.

Thanks for your quick reply. Anything specifically about the realm of Sarifal on the island of Gwynneth?
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1771 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2015 :  23:54:08  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sucks that that is all we get for Eilistraee? What about Vhaeraun? And what does it say about Myth Drannor since Shade fell on it?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2590 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2015 :  23:58:42  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Sucks that that is all we get for Eilistraee? What about Vhaeraun? And what does it say about Myth Drannor since Shade fell on it?

If you look at the Dwarven gods in the preview that I linked, they get even less. Even Moradin seem to get about as much as Eilistraee, or less. Seems like that non human deities have just been included/restored in the current pantheon and then *briefly* described.

Human deities get something like 3-4 small pragraphs each, as far as I understand.

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Senior Scribe

Canada
787 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2015 :  00:04:10  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any update on Sembia? post Shade?
Go to Top of Page

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2015 :  00:57:51  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It says the isle of Gwynneth has become even more fey and mysterious, home to the elven realm of Sarifal, under the rule of High Lady Ordalf. In the north of the island the High Lady's son, Prince Araithe, leads the struggle against the darker fey of the forest of Winterglen. The Prince is a pragmatist willing to accept aid in fending off his peoples foes and will allow adventuring groups to land on Gwynneth if they pledge to aid the cause. It also briefly mentions Synnoria and the Myrloch Vale.

Vhaeraun, CE God of Thieves. Trickery Domain. Black mask with blue grass lenses inset over eyes. "Selvetarm is god of warriors, and therefore patron of male drow, although perhaps not so much as Vhaeraun, the rogue god of thievery and of drow males who rebel against the matriarchy." (thats all of it)

Myth Drannor, the book goes over most of the recent events towards the front, up to the year 1489. It just says Netheril was brought crashing down on Myth Drannor, resulting in the cataclysmic destruction of both. The Evereska section does mention that its seen its largest influx of new citizens in many centuries in the form of their Cormanthan brethren.

Sembia is trying to play nice after its defeat, focusing on becoming an economic power again. It "allowed" Featherdale and Taassledale to regain their independence. Relations with Cormyr and the Dales are cool, but Sembian merchants are quick to dismiss previous conflicts as the work of the Netherese.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1771 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2015 :  01:00:45  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Vhaeraun seems to have kept his portfolio, at least.

Go to Top of Page

BenN
Learned Scribe

Japan
335 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2015 :  01:03:10  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Looking forward to getting the book myself.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1771 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2015 :  01:04:51  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a little disappointed so far, and I actually debated canceling my pre-order, but I decided to still get it. At least it has some updates

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2590 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2015 :  01:43:09  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah. At the end it is just a matter of little importance, but for a deity called ''The Lady of the Dance'', or ''The Dark Dancer'', losing the portfolio of Dance is quite ironic...

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1771 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2015 :  01:44:12  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is weird. Hmmm

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1771 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2015 :  02:19:08  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It'd be nice if they explained *how* the gods returned, especially ones like V and E. If Ao decided to rewrite the Tablets, okay, but I would like some detail.

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2015 :  02:21:43  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yeah. At the end it is just a matter of little importance, but for a deity called ''The Lady of the Dance'', or ''The Dark Dancer'', losing the portfolio of Dance is quite ironic...
I think folks might be reading a little more into the portfolio listings than is appropriate. In the end, we're talking about a couple of words in a chart.

Does anyone really think that Eilistraee isn't still the drow goddess of dance because of that chart? Do folks think that omission implies a substantive change? I doubt very much that including "song, beauty, dance, swordwork, hunting, [and] moonlight" (the 2E list from [I]Demihuman Deities[I]) would have fit. Lolth had evil, darkness, chaos, assassins, and the drow race as part of her portfolio in 2E, too, and I don't think anyone is interpreting the SCAG listing to mean that she somehow lost any of those areas of influence.

I usually try to keep as quiet as I can on these things, and let people form their own opinions, but for the deity listings, I wouldn't assume that something that could be subsumed in another portfolio element being missing indicates a deity has lost that portfolio item. Certain gods with certain portfolios, sure, but "dance" can very easily fall under "song," especially on a summary chart with very little room to expand.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1771 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2015 :  02:23:37  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then they should have done more than a simple summary chart. But I get your point.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000