Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2015 :  20:54:11  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was speaking more to people who are on the fence because there isn't enough lore, rather than those people who don't like the book at all. I still think if the book sells well it is the best way to get a 5edition FRCS which we all want here (well I assume we do at Candlekeep!).
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2015 :  21:39:42  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone know when where likely to see WOTC 2016 release scheduele?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2015 :  22:46:30  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

They don't do schedules anymore. They announce their stuff a couple months before their release.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2015 :  23:12:48  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hear that the book also contains updates (and not just a paragraph) on Lantan and Nimbral, which is a pleasant surprise to me. The interesting thing is that people are saying that the part of the book detailing the various regions, reads as a volo guide, with the various places described from the viewpoint of a different traveler/explorer for each region, and I think that this is a really nice touch.

Btw, is there anything on Skullport and the Promenade?

Edited by - Irennan on 26 Oct 2015 23:41:03
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  00:20:53  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

They don't do schedules anymore. They announce their stuff a couple months before their release.

Do they normally announce the next FR product when they release an already announced one?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  00:26:06  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

Do they normally announce the next FR product when they release an already announced one?

I don't think they do. As far as I've seen, they just announce a product a few months before its release.

They say to want the attention focused on the current release, rather than on what will come in the future.

Edited by - Irennan on 27 Oct 2015 00:27:00
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  01:00:45  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As promised: Mike Schley's Sword Coast Map is linked here. It's hard to zoom in, but the download is worth the ten bucks. You get a map without labels, a map with labels, and a high res PDF. I'm thinking of printing each region into a booklet and having a coffee table atlas.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  01:32:22  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

As promised: Mike Schley's Sword Coast Map is linked here. It's hard to zoom in, but the download is worth the ten bucks. You get a map without labels, a map with labels, and a high res PDF. I'm thinking of printing each region into a booklet and having a coffee table atlas.

I thought I saw somewhere that it was 32 pages which made me thing it would be as big as the Fr-1-14 maps from 1st edition

But the map only covers about a quarter of the realms

Edit: which begs the question are there another 3 Sword Coast Adventures style books coming for the SW, SE and NE of the world....

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 27 Oct 2015 01:34:07
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  01:35:36  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I thought I saw somewhere that it was 32 pages which made me thing it would be as big as the Fr-1-14 maps from 1st edition

Aye. It is 32 pages according to the description Schley gave. I'm still waiting on my file to download (Charter is being slow tonight. ) I'll be able to give more specific details in about... somewhere between an hour and 16 hours according to the fluctuating estimate in my browser.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  01:43:19  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Aye. It is 32 pages according to the description Schley gave. I'm still waiting on my file to download (Charter is being slow tonight. ) I'll be able to give more specific details in about... somewhere between an hour and 16 hours according to the fluctuating estimate in my browser.

How bigs the download

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  01:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How bigs the download

222MB. It's a zip file.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  01:45:25  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How bigs the download

222MB. It's a zip file.

lol

hope youve got plenty of RAM for when you open that PDF :-p

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  01:55:32  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gambit

There is a paragraph on Rhymanthiin: Hidden City of Hope, I am guessing this is what you are referring to (I never read the Blackstaff novel).

Can you give me the jist of the paragraph?

Do people still live there?

Did it get blown away in the Spellpague?

Who lives there?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  01:56:45  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How bigs the download

222MB. It's a zip file.

lol

hope youve got plenty of RAM for when you open that PDF :-p

I'm praying 4gb will be enough?

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  01:59:55  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol Delwa you might want to shut every other program your running before you open that PDF. You may also want to build your self a alter to Deneir and sacrifice a Goat or a Sharran priest just to be sure :-p

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  02:04:51  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

lol Delwa you might want to shut every other program your running before you open that PDF. You may also want to build your self a alter to Deneir and sacrifice a Goat or a Sharran priest just to be sure :-p

Thanks for the warning. Maybe I'll find a nice, unblemished roathe to offer up.
And to try and get myself back on topic, is the map in the SCAG a page or pages in the book, or does the book come with a tear-out poster map?

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  02:54:27  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im guessing the map will be 4 pages North/South by 8 pages east/west

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  03:38:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The dimensions of the map are 10200 x 6600.

The pdf is the map, but with more options. You can do the entire map, with no labels, you can see it divided up into 32 tiles, and then the remaining 64 pages are those tiles, with and without labels.

The big map, with labels, is 52.2 MBs by itself. It's honkin' large.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  03:52:06  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

The pdf is the map, but with more options. You can do the entire map, with no labels, you can see it divided up into 32 tiles, and then the remaining 64 pages are those tiles, with and without labels.

you bought it wooly?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  04:23:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

you bought it wooly?

Indeed.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  04:47:56  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

you bought it wooly?

Indeed.

thoughts?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  04:57:59  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotta love those Mike Schley maps! Gonna buy this tonight. I just peeked at his website, and it seems that the single "Large Map" covers NW Faerun from the glaciers of Iceland Dale in the North down to Tethyr in the South (but does not cover as far south as Calimshan). And from the Moonshae Isles (and the huge ocean) in the West to the coasts of Sembia, Cormanthor and Turmish to the East! This seems like the most comprehensive "official map" for 5th Edition yet. A must-have.

Can't wait for my pre-order of SCAG to arrive!
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  06:59:36  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking at the map (the tiny image, I haven't decided I want to throw money at it yet) it surprises me how little forest there is, and how similar it looks to the 2E map in terms of layout (where the various land points are). It would be nice to know if this map is worth it if you already own approximately every map released for 2nd Ed (and quite a few for 3rd)?
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  07:14:43  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, won't have time to purchase-download this Map until later this week. But I did follow Mike Schley's Twitter feed discussing this map. And I noted that Mike embedded some relevant Map graphics as his Twitter background image. Right away I noted two things:

#1. It's an image of the detailed region of the Moonshae Isles

#2. There is a location called a Sunken Acadamy. What the heck is an Acadamy? (look at the area below Norland, it says Sunken Acadamy)

OK ok , it's one minor spelling typo in an otherwise immense map. That would not be Schley's fault, by the way, since he probably just took location names based on what WotC gave him. But I really hope the spelling errors are very few.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  10:06:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

you bought it wooly?

Indeed.

thoughts?

It's huge and it's pretty.

And I like that it's also broken up into the smaller tiles.

Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  10:10:25  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought it, because I wager I won't be seeing the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide for possibly a gazillion years (I prefer buying PDFs over hardcovers personally, and unlike Paizo, WotC hates selling PDFs evidently). Looking at it now, and it looks great. Possibly one of the best FR maps (definitely is for my use!). And as far as I can see, the political landscape looks pretty similar to how it was in 2nd. Can't see any sign of the Spellplague. Hurray for that.

Particular things I've noted
1: Moonshae Isles seem to have gone back to a similar political layout as in 2nd. Gwynneth, Moray and Oman's Isle seem to be human dominated now, since it has it's old cities populated now instead of in ruins.
2: Down below Turmish, the coast is marked as the Vilhon Reach, instead of Vilhon Wilds. Woohoo. Particular plus from me, as I always quite liked this region especially.
3: Glad to see the Northlander isles (specifically the ones outside the Moonshae Isles) packed in nicely here as well. Haven't seen these isles again since 2nd edition. Hope the Sword Coast Adventure Guide will have some info on these places.
4: Netheril is now completely buried beneath by the magical desert of the Anauroch. Guess Evereska can relax a little now.
5: Even Hartsvale (little known country not seen any detail since 2nd Giantcraft) is on this map. Didn't expect that. Wonder what they'll do with this place

Edited by - deserk on 27 Oct 2015 10:15:38
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  20:12:49  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly/Delwa

What payment system does Mike use his site? Credit card/Paypal etc?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  20:24:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wooly/Delwa

What payment system does Mike use his site? Credit card/Paypal etc?

Both. I did it thru PayPal, which is my preferred thing for online transactions.

Go to Top of Page

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  21:48:28  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

There is a paragraph on Rhymanthiin: Hidden City of Hope, I am guessing this is what you are referring to (I never read the Blackstaff novel).

Who lives there?

Stories persist that Faer'tel'miir, an ancient city of Miyeritar, was restored by High Magic sometime in the past century, perhaps even before the Spellplague, up on the High Moor. The restored city of dark, smooth stone, called Rhymanthiin or "The Hidden City of Hope", appears on no maps, and is reputedly concealed by magic or some other artifice. Supposedly only those who are worthy, without malice in their hearts, may reach it, while others (as the tales have it) "shall not find their way there." Such tale-tellers must be few and far between, as I know of no one who can rightly claim to have seen it, but still the stories seem to have a life of their own.

Thats the whole paragraph.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2015 :  22:56:41  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Who lives there?

Stories persist that Faer'tel'miir, an ancient city of Miyeritar, was restored by High Magic sometime in the past century, perhaps even before the Spellplague, up on the High Moor. The restored city of dark, smooth stone, called Rhymanthiin or "The Hidden City of Hope", appears on no maps, and is reputedly concealed by magic or some other artifice. Supposedly only those who are worthy, without malice in their hearts, may reach it, while others (as the tales have it) "shall not find their way there." Such tale-tellers must be few and far between, as I know of no one who can rightly claim to have seen it, but still the stories seem to have a life of their own.

Thats the whole paragraph.

thanks

"The restored city of dark, smooth stone, called Rhymanthiin or "The Hidden City of Hope", appears on no maps, and is reputedly concealed by magic or some other artifice."

Does it appear on the Sword Coast Adventures map that comes with the book?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page