Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shining South Campaign Map
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2015 :  00:38:36  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Geez, you surely have the creative and productive version of ADD.

- Ideas desordenadas sin RPG en específico www.juegoconamnesia.blogspot.com (Spanish)
- Des idées en vrac pour n'importe quel JdR www.jeudeloubli.blogspot.com (French)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2015 :  18:39:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Latest update.

You'll note that Nentir Vale is now gone. I can easily paste that back into the finished map if anyone wants that. I had to tweak the heck out of several regions (Vilhon, Luiren, etc) to get the terrain closer to how it was in 1e/2e, and because this map is giving birth to another (and things weren't lining-up so nicely). I also backwards-engineered the stuff from Brian James' excellent 4e article on Chessenta. Two sites didn't make the cut simply because they are new to 4e AND fall out IN the bay (where the water receded). Others I simply made smaller, depending on the lore. I also slightly modified some names in Sespech from Mapolq's campaign, to make them more 'Realmsish'.

I only just began to add the river names, so there are only a few done so far. Then onto the road names... if I can keep myself from any further tweaking. If you see something, say something. One fan already caught a misspelling, which is great.

Oh... and I forgot to turn on the 'country names' layer. {sigh)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Aug 2015 18:40:26
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2015 :  20:30:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasn't very happy with the font I am using for the Rivers. If I use a new one I found - which looks amazing for the bodies of water - it looks too faded for the rivers, and if I use the same one as the settlements it looks bland (thats the one I had been going with).

I think I'll lean toward 'artsy' with this one, and I may just separate the two types of 'water tags' so I don't loose the river names completely when I fade them down.

EXAMPLE

Note the River Alamber in the upper left - thats the old style. Much more legible, but not as pretty. Keep in mind I haven't 'faded' any of this text yet - it will get lighter (maybe not in the case of the new font - its light enough already).

Anyhow, thats whats causing the delay to finish* - my deep-rooted desire to always achieve perfection. I need to just stop and finish the damn thing.

*That, and the fact that I am working on five maps at once.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Aug 2015 20:33:55
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2015 :  19:34:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Gleambridge:

In -5032 DR, the armies of Mir and Jhaamdath clashed for the first time north of the small fishing village of Ankport, and Mir was dealt a crushing blow. Fleeing across the Serpent's Claw River (modern day Thornwash), the armies of Mir and their Coramshan allies felt secure, having burned their crossing barges behind them. Seeing their enemies escaping on the far side of the wide waterway, General Khath Selthaen formed a mindweb with a dozen of his psion lieutenants and together they crafted a solid psychic construct - The Gleambridge. Their soldiers quickly made use of the arching roadway and chased their foes all the way to the Coramshan border. But the strain was too much for the brave folk holding the mind-bridge in place for so long, and one by one they collapsed, their life-energy spent. General Selthaen was the last to fall, holding it aloft until the last of his men had crossed. When he fell, the bridge flashed brilliant for a few moments, and then - to the amazement of all - stabilized into the seamless, shining silvery monument that still stands 'till this day.

Some say it was "by the will of Auppenser". Others say it is the solidified remains of the minds of the men and women who died to create it. The tribes of the Lions (Shadíar) consider it an accursed thing and avoid it, using boats to cross the river when the need arises. It stands a few miles north of Ankhapur; a gleaming testament to the willpower of the Jhaamdathan people, gone but not forgotten.

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Aug 2015 21:17:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2015 :  20:40:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The Gleambridge:

In -5032 DR, the armies of Mir and Jhaamdath clashed for the first time north of the small fishing village of Ankport, and Mir was dealt a crushing blow. Fleeing across the Serpent's Claw River (modern day Thorwash), the armies of Mir and their Coramshan allies felt secure, having burned their crossing barges behind them. Seeing their enemies escaping on the far side of the wide waterway, General Khath Selthaen formed a mindweb with a dozen of his psion lieutenants and together they crafted a solid psychic construct - The Gleambridge. Their soldiers quickly made use of the arching roadway and chased their foes all the way to the Coramshan border. But the strain was too much for the brave folk holding the mind-bridge in place for so long, and one by one they collapsed, their life-energy spent. General Selthaen was the last to fall, holding it aloft until the last of his men had crossed. When he fell, the bridge flashed brilliant for a few moments, and then - to the amazement of all - stabilized into the seamless, shining silvery monument that still stands 'till this day.

Some say it was "by the will of Auppenser". Others say it is the solidified remains of the minds of the men and women who died to create it. The tribes of the Lions (Shadíar) consider it an accursed thing and avoid it, using boats to cross the river when the need arises. It stands a few miles north of Ankhapur; a gleaming testament to the willpower of the Jhaamdathan people, gone but not forgotten.

I really like this. Is it canon, or home-brew?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2015 :  21:12:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its homebrew - after studying the maps, and some of the history for the region, I figure there just had to be a bridge over that waterway, but considering how wide that river in its southern half (where such a bridge should exist), it had to be something... SPECIAL.

That entry will be part of the 'Shaareach Campaign Sourcebook' I have planned. It will either point people in the direction of canon for an item, provide a 'fix' for the blended lore (after adding in the Elsir Vale material), or be an entirely new (fanon) entry, like that above.

And just like canon lore, people can use it, abuse it, or just chuck it out in favor of their own stuff. Thats the beauty of The Forgotten Realms.

EDIT: In that entry, the first sentence is entirely canon, right out of the GHotR, except for one slightly modified word.

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Aug 2015 21:18:26
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2016 :  23:19:42  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay I don't want to step on any toes and will apologize to Markustay in advance if this is a sore spot. Having said that, does anyone know of a site or fellow sage that has done work on combining various settings into a single world (similar to MT's Misbegotten Realms)? I hate that the project has fallen to the wayside but maybe there's someone else out there who has done some work in this area?

Also, sorry that this is straying from the original topic. I'll post a new one if the mods feel I should. Thanks.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000