Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 the multi-platform approach
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2015 :  00:23:33  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
There has been a lot of negativity towards WotC these days (and yes, I am guilty of it too) about how they are handling things, what content they are releasing, unfulfilled promises, etc. So, I will say in advance that this thread is not meant to bring more negativity, but this is something I have been thinking about.

To an extent, DnD products have always been a multi-platform based setting, from games (computer and tabletop), to novels, and others. But with the arrival of 5e, Wizards seemed to be increasing their platform level. The Sundering was going to be a multimedia event, for example. In some ways, this is a good move, because it has the potential to reach more people who prefer certain media, but at the same time, I feel it is limiting. I consider myself a dedicated Realms fan, but the novels, and sometimes the sourcebooks, are my main source of FR knowledge. Likewise, there are those who don't read many of the novels, but are active players or computer/video gamers. Because of the multimedia approach, there is more exposure, but it is limited exposure. Unless you have unlimited time and money, all these platforms make it hard (for me at least), to be a dedicated fan. I really wish there were more FR novels being released, like there used to be.

So, my fellow scribes, what are your thoughts on this? What do you like, and don't like, about this approach, and what do you do to stay "in the loop"? I would love it if every story (RSE or not) was released in various platforms. That way gamers and readers a like would know what was going on, but I realize that isn't possible.

Sweet water and light laughter

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2015 :  02:24:12  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I would love to have more novels too, I don't fault the lack of novels on the DnD games, as it was the BG games for PC that brought me here in the first place.

Additionally, I doubt that its the videogames that are preventing the release of more Realms novels.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2015 :  02:29:31  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh I didn't mean to imply the multimedia approach was the cause of less novels. I was just lamenting the lessening amount of novels in general. My point was that with all the different platforms now available, it makes storylines both more widespread, but conversely, also makes it harder (and more expensive and time-consuming) to keep up.

Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2015 :  03:15:42  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see your point, CorellonsDevout. And I also certainly see WotC making a concerned effort not to overlap their multi-platforming strategies in any similar form to Paizo's modus operandi. The most striking thing to me is the emphasis on relegating paper products (novels, hardcover/softcover RPG supplements) to a very minor role in their marketing push of the D&D brand name.

The 2nd most striking thing is the reshuffling of the Forgotten Realms brand name from being a showcased product line that carries premiere marketing emphasis ... to being just a lesser-emphasized "campaign flavor" descriptor that doesn't really factor into anything important from a bottom-end perspective. The Forgotten Realms seems to now be primarily a budget-friendly, pre-packaged bundle of convenient game-world descriptors that has significant RPG street cred. Which is kind of a way of saying that new lore-heavy (the kind that we adore here at CK) F.R. products are probably not going to see the light of day. They are too niche for this very corporate, lean-&-mean, budget-emphasized multi-platformed D&D 5E initiative. Sorry if that sounds like a rant. It really isn't. I'm okay with the new reality of things. :-)

As for your assessment that staying on top of all these various platforms issuing out tidbits of F.R. lore and info and what-not ... I agree. But I don't really think that's important to WotC. Lore-collectors (like us) are probably very demographically insignificant to their current product line strategy. The D&D RPG brand name and its cheap-to-operate electronic footprint delivery vehicle are supremely paramount.

Edited by - Snow on 08 Jun 2015 03:16:54
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2015 :  14:37:12  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I despise the approach they've taken. I don't begrudge them for doing so, it's their IP to do with as they see fit (or will bring them the most money), but I see it as a complete and total failure to recognize what their IP is and is not.

D&D is a niche interest. One that can generate a modest profit. WotC seems to think the D&D brand is worth far more than it is. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I dunno really. I like the tabletop RPG game of D&D (except 4e). I'd like to see the focus there. Novels, video games, movies and so on...sure, why not? Not at the expense of the tabletop game though. THAT is D&D (to me). As it is, I see only a focus on adventures for the tabletop game...of which I have little use. D&D used to be all about giving it's fans tools to create their own adventures and story lines....which seems to be remarkably secondary now.

Meh, I could go on and on with this, but I'll simply reiterate my above statement, I despise WotC's current approach. I've moved 100% to Pathfinder/Golarion at this point. I'm open to a return to D&D and the Realms, but they'll need to offer the same level of support for the tabletop game Paizo offers Pathfinder for that to occur.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2015 :  15:46:48  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being primarily a reader, I can't say I'm happy about Wizards' current multi-platform, sourcebook- and novel-light approach. I understand it (especially that their limited staff might well make them unable to handle the additional workload of more FR sourcebooks and novels even if they wanted it), and I hope it will result in the D&D line in general and the FR line in particular being profitable enough to make Hasbro happy and allow the two lines to go on.

However, when it comes to my hobbies and limited disposable income, I'm unashamedly selfish in that I want what's best for me, not what's best for a franchise or a company's shareholders. Therefore, I'm currently cherry-picking what I buy from the FR line whereas in the 2e and 3e days I tended to buy novels and sourcebooks if they looked even slightly interesting. So far that means that my novel buying is limited to Kindle copies of Salvatore's novels (once they go down to mmpb prices), and possibly the Out of the Abyss adventure once it's published (if it gets good reviews) since I love fiends. I have no interest in MMO games, so Neverwinter is out. Sword Coast Legends looks interesting, but there too I'll wait for reviews to come in before committing time or money to it.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2015 :  17:09:55  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am primarily a novel reader, too. I realize the novels have, and likely always will, come second to the game, but I miss the days when there were more novels.

Go to Top of Page

Mr Dark
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2015 :  18:30:22  Show Profile Send Mr Dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am primarily a gamer so novels and such rate about second tier to me. Where my interest lays is in gaming material. So the idea of supplements, board games and even CRPGs interests me more. That said, I am slightly disappointed in the fact that The Sundering wasn't followed up well and no one really knows how it affected Toril as a whole. However, I was not a fan of what transpired in 4e and had hoped the whole setting would have been rebooted. This has left me with a definite cut-off in what I am going to be buying in the future.

With this you can add in that I also have interests in worlds like Greyhawk and Eberron and would possibly pick up something for them before a Realms product since there is going to possibly be little that interests me due to the changes. Where I am at now is being content with 5e as a system and collecting material from past Realms versions and material for other settings.

As far as the approach goes I am not sure how I feel about it. As long as we don't see D&D cross stitching kits and pencil holders I am pretty neutral on how things are going. What I am wanting to see avoided (Supplement of the month) has been so far and it is something I am glad to see come out of WOTC.

Canon stops where the table begins.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2015 :  20:11:37  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With the lack of novels FR has sadly fallen out of my life. However, there are plenty more worlds out there to read about. Wizards loss I guess.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000