Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Backstory assistance
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2015 :  18:36:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've recently -- and somewhat randomly -- decided to work on a magical item's backstory.

The item is one that provides some serious disguise capabilities. I've got the capabilities worked out to my satisfaction, as well as the fact that there are some lesser versions of the device, and one or two greater versions.

The entire point of the device is to aid a particular NPC; him having it is important to his backstory.

None of these details are overly important to the device's backstory, though. That's what I'm looking for assistance on.

Here's what I've got, thus far. This is obviously a very rough draft; it needs tightening up and some names added in. I'm just looking for general feedback on the backstory, and whether or not any existing Realmslore invalidates what I've come up with.

Around 1339 DR, the Fire Knives had a rather audacious plan for offing House Obarskyr: multiple assassins in magical disguises would infiltrate the Palace in Suzail, get close to the royal family and convenient high-ranking nobles, and then kill them all in one coordinated strike.

The Fire Knives hired a Sembian wizard to provide the disguises. It took the wizard two years to perfect the devices. The devices she came up with would alter the appearance of the wearers and would foil some of the more common means of magical detection. In 1341, half a dozen magically-disguised Fire Knives infiltrated the Palace, assuming various guises.

The plan might have worked, except for the mistake made by one of the assassins. She slew a scullery maid, and assumed that maid's appearance. Unknown to anyone, the maid -- an attractive young lass from a poor family -- was in a relationship with a newly-recruited War Wizard. The maid, who needed the money to aid her family, was fearful that her superiors would disapprove of her relationship, so she made her War Wizard lover keep it secret. The two of them would meet as frequently as they could in unused rooms of the Palace, spending as much time alone as they could without anyone knowing.

After replacing the scullery maid, the assassin unknowingly missed some planned secret trysts with the young War Wizard. This worried the young man. He sought out the scullery maid, and was taken aback when she passed him by without any apparent recognition. This made him suspicious, and he took his fears to Vangey.

Vangey investigated, and found some magics that would get around the protections of the magical disguises. He kept hunting, and found the rest of the Fire Knives that were in the Palace. He planned his own operation, intending to capture all of them at once. He was nearly successful.

One of the assassins managed to escape his would-be captors. Fleeing, he encountered Lord Belgard Huntsilver, slew him, and assumed the late lord's appearance long enough to throw off his pursuers and make his way out of the Palace. By the time the deception was revealed, the assassin had vanished into the crowd, wearing a new face.

The assassin carried word of the plot's failure to the Fire Knives, but they had little time to react before Azoun's vengeance nearly wiped out the group.

The wizard, in the meantime, seeing what happened to the Fire Knives, fled before she could be connected with them. She settled in Raven's Bluff, living there for a few years while working on an improved version of the magical disguises she had crafted. She and all of her belongings disappeared in 1345. Her body was found nearly 3 years later, in the presence of the corpse of a known Zhentarim agent. Their slayer was unknown.

Nearly a year later, in Hillsfar, a recently-arrived and prominent courtesan was slain by a jealous lover. The angry man was horrified to see the courtesan's previously exotic looks fade away, melting into the rather homely form of an aged half-orc. The courtesan's possessions were quickly stolen, and it is assumed that the magical disguise crafted by that Sembian wizard was among her belongings.

Several similar tales have been told in the years since then; at least some of them are likely to have involved that same magical disguise. Its current wearer and whereabouts are unknown, and the protections the device has against magical divination are likely to ensure that it remains hidden.

The devices worn by the captured Fire Knives were studied by Vangey; he added a couple of tweaks to them (particularly, one that allowed him to track them), and they have since been employed by Highknights and War Wizards needing to operate in secrecy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2015 :  20:30:58  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds nicely devious. The way the palace investigation is worded, it sounds like all the agents were in place for quite a while before acting... why? Vangerdahast had time to (1) investigate the newbie wizard's report, (2) find spells that would penetrate the item's illusion (how was this done if he didn't have one of the devices in order to study it?), (3) find all of the Fire Knives in the palace, and (4) plan and place a trap.

Wouldn't the device include some means of communicating with the other wearers of the devices? It seems remarkably shortsighted to design a set of devices to be used together in a coordinated strike, and not put in some kind of sending spell to let them communicate with each other. But if this capability is present in the devices then it would be difficult/impossible for Vangerdahast to capture/kill the "maid" without being discovered... this just strengthens the suggestion that he didn't have one of the devices in order to determine which divinations would penetrate the disguise generated by the devices.

In any case, I like the story and the devices.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2015 :  00:17:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xaeyruudh notes the two most important points - there should be a way for other wearers to identify each other and the assassination attempt in terms of just getting to Azoun sounds pretty random. Now if they were planning to kill him at a meeting or event in the palace, that would make much more sense. Perhaps the Fire Knives became aware that Azoun was meeting with a group of 'somebodies' for 'something' in a nice intimate meeting setting, and hoping to take him there. The issue I have is that any attempt in the Palace with all the built in wards and protections would be almost impossible to pull off. The attempt would be better if it occurred in one of the minor cities (pick a non-standard one like Dhedluk) during a 'visit the troops' tour or celebration of the victory over Magrath the Minotaur. The rest is good and just needs some names. If you can dig up any, only-mentioned names or references to put in then all the better. A cool name for the masks is essential.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2015 :  00:25:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Sounds nicely devious. The way the palace investigation is worded, it sounds like all the agents were in place for quite a while before acting... why? Vangerdahast had time to (1) investigate the newbie wizard's report, (2) find spells that would penetrate the item's illusion (how was this done if he didn't have one of the devices in order to study it?), (3) find all of the Fire Knives in the palace, and (4) plan and place a trap.

I figure, the plan was to get everyone in, let them get themselves in place, and then they would coordinate when they would attack (which would likely be something like "tomorrow, at the third bell after moonrise". A coordinated attack was preferred because it would maximize both the damage and the chaos -- one person gets popped, everyone's on their guard and scrutiny is high on everyone. Several people get popped at once, now everyone is running around like the proverbial headless chicken.

Vangey only found out because the young War Wizard was suspicious of his lover's activities. Once Vangey knew to focus on her and try different things, he found ways around the disguise's magic. It's like there was an unseen barrier -- he didn't know it was there to try to look past it. Once he suspected there might be a barrier, then he got creative until he found how to get around it.

And once he knew how to get past it, he knew what to look for -- thus being able to find the others.

If it hadn't been for that young War Wizard, though, Vangey never would have had a reason to pay attention to the scullery maid or any of the others. That was the core aspect of the plot: infiltration by those who would go unnoticed.

quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Wouldn't the device include some means of communicating with the other wearers of the devices? It seems remarkably shortsighted to design a set of devices to be used together in a coordinated strike, and not put in some kind of sending spell to let them communicate with each other. But if this capability is present in the devices then it would be difficult/impossible for Vangerdahast to capture/kill the "maid" without being discovered... this just strengthens the suggestion that he didn't have one of the devices in order to determine which divinations would penetrate the disguise generated by the devices.

In any case, I like the story and the devices.

I expect that using magical communication directly under the noses of Vangey and the War Wizards is not the best way to remain unnoticed.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 May 2015 00:27:24
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2015 :  06:41:14  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But if they can't communicate with each other via the devices, then how do they identify each other? The Fire Knives have to be flexible... if discovered they have to replace someone else. If several of them do this, then they can no longer identify each other by recognition alone. So-and-so isn't this particular page anymore; he's someone else, and he has to let the others know... even if for no other reason than not wanting to be killed by a fellow Fire Knife needing a new face to hide behind. But the key reason for needing communication is that they are all going to be in different places when the appointed time comes. They probably won't be in the same rooms of the palace. They need to know that everyone is in position before they strike, or else the advantage of making a coordinated strike is lost.

And yea, using magical communication within the palace is probably risky... but no more so than murdering and infiltrating the staff. Five or six people using a low-level communication spell once or twice a day, out of the hundreds of maids and jacks running around the Palace and Court talking and employing minor magics for various tasks, won't draw any attention at all. In my opinion, anyway; I'm far from an expert on the palace or the War Wizards.

I like George's idea of doing it outside the palace, but if I'm understanding this right the idea wasn't just to kill Azoun; it was to eliminate the legitimate Obarskyr heirs too right? So that probably means it has to be in the palace, because the heirs don't all ride around the realm attending all the same banquets.

Plus the palace offers the chaos of hundreds of people milling about at all hours of the day and night. Much easier to go unnoticed in the shuffle, and to change faces when necessary. But I think that makes some form of telepathic projection necessary. A 1st-level spell would be sufficient and ideal.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2015 :  16:06:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some good points to consider... I think I'll add two tweaks: a secondary device, allowing for communication/coordination, and planning the strike during some sort of major event.

Of course, bundling in the communication could provide a necessary weakness in the devices, and it would provide an easier way for Vangey to find them. And then this weakness could be omitted from the greater device -- the end goal is purely getting the more powerful device into the hands of an NPC of mine.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2015 :  16:21:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Xaeyruudh notes the two most important points - there should be a way for other wearers to identify each other and the assassination attempt in terms of just getting to Azoun sounds pretty random. Now if they were planning to kill him at a meeting or event in the palace, that would make much more sense. Perhaps the Fire Knives became aware that Azoun was meeting with a group of 'somebodies' for 'something' in a nice intimate meeting setting, and hoping to take him there. The issue I have is that any attempt in the Palace with all the built in wards and protections would be almost impossible to pull off. The attempt would be better if it occurred in one of the minor cities (pick a non-standard one like Dhedluk) during a 'visit the troops' tour or celebration of the victory over Magrath the Minotaur. The rest is good and just needs some names. If you can dig up any, only-mentioned names or references to put in then all the better. A cool name for the masks is essential.

-- George Krashos

I missed this post, earlier...

So far as I know, there are only a couple of references to specific individuals killed by the Fire Knives... And one of those was that the deaths of a scullery maid and Azoun's friend Lord Belgard Huntsilver was what pushed him to move against them in 1341. I was originally going to make the replaced woman be a scribe or something similar (to avoid the trope of impersonating a maid), but I was trying to stick with the printed lore on the Fire Knives.

To me, the death of a scullery maid is relatively insignificant, especially compared to the death of a noble that the king grew up with... That's part of why I connected the two.

And the Fire Knives angle was just to use an established group, rather than making up my own and dropping them in some random place. It's always better to use an existing tool, rather than making your own...

As for the magical devices themselves, I'm still trying to come up with a good name for the wizard that made them. I'm currently using Jhessaryn, but I'm not 100% satisfied with that name. (Especially after reading the write-up on the Fire Knives in Lords of Darkness; the flavor text includes an assassination by a "Lady Jhessa.")

Before I even came up with the backstory, I decided that the devices are amulets. I'd prefer to use a ring, but the NPC that these are ultimately being designed for can't use one if it's a ring. (long story, there)

So the names for the devices that I'm currently look at are Jhessaryn's Amulet of Mimicry and Jhessaryn's Amulet of Many Faces. I favor the former name, though the latter works for me, as well.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 May 2015 16:22:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2015 :  04:55:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For a major event... Would the anniversary of Azoun IV's coronation be something celebrated? And if not him, any other celebrations of coronations or something? Do they celebrate like a founding day, like when Faerlthann was crowned?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2015 :  06:45:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's an obscure reference, but I seem to remember something a supporting character said in the novel Crusade warning the main character about the actions of a pick-pocket in a street crowd celebrating the anniversary of Azoun's rise to the throne.

I'll see if I can track it down.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2015 :  15:51:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just had another thought, for how this plot could be discovered...

So the amulets did include some method of farspeaking to other amulet wearers. However, there's a nearly forgotten chamber somewhere in the Palace where an ancient magical ward "catches" any farspeaking magics used within a certain radius, and causes the voices to be heard aloud.

Someone -- maybe even a junior War Wizard assigned to sit and listen in this room -- hears the assassins speaking about getting into position, and immediately gets word to Vangey.

At this particular moment*, I quite like this approach -- it plays with the theme of forgotten and ancient secrets of the Palace, and works better than the War Wizard whose girlfriend suddenly gave him the cold shoulder.

*(I specify "at this particular moment" because I've had more than one idea that I momentarily thought was awesome, and then later realized wasn't all that -- or was even unworkable crap)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2015 :  16:17:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Searching my files, I found this... Stormguard might work, assuming that a) it was widely celebrated enough by 1339, when the plan was hatched, to be viable, and b) that the public feasts would be attended by royals, or that there was a similar celebration in the Palace.

quote:
Hi, Damian! I hope this isn’t entirely too late for Liz. My notes on the church of Helm are (like those of most of the clergies, because events in the published Realms keep changing the priesthoods, and I’ve been just too busy with other lorework to completely keep up) incomplete, but in addition to the holy day and ceremonies noted on page 28 of FAITHS AND PANTHEONS, there are more than seven annual “Laudays” (festivals).
I say “more than seven” because some local temples celebrate an additional Lauday or two, to commemorate local guardians and protectors of note (almost always individuals who gave their lives to protect others). None of these additional festivals are observed in Cormyr.
Laudays are open to all, not just devout followers of Helm.
The seven widely-celebrated ones are:

THREEAN (Tarsakh 4): Durendar Threean was a long-ago blacksmith of Secomber. He learned of the existence of a fell mage-led army (not a horde, but an organized warband) of orcs and hobgoblins moving down the western verge of the High Forest with the intention of storming Daggerford just as caravans were gathering there for a trade-fair. Seeking to have the army stopped before it could destroy Daggerford or harm Secomber, he walked and rode day and night through deep snow and howling blizzards, on a succession of mounts hastily purchased along the way, to Waterdeep, and forced his way into the Palace to be heard, being wounded by guards there and then slain by a Watchful Order magist on duty to defend the Palace.
When Khelben learned what had befallen, he farscried the army, teleported his apprentices to nearby vantage-points with battle-spells, and the force was routed before it could reach any settlements.
The day of Threean’s death is now marked with feasting (platters of food delivered by hard-riding or running priests, in remembrance of Threean’s wild ride), at which stirring sermons are preached about always spreading warnings of fell deeds and suspicious occurrences one may have witnessed, even if others disbelieve.

JORRIST (Mirtul 9): Althan Jorrist was malformed from birth, and much mocked. His bandy, uneven-length legs could never support him to walk, and his head was far too large for his body and had one large eye set lower than his smaller, higher other eye. Yet despite folk shunning or hurling stones at him, he chose to serve his neighbours in his home city of Elturel by spending his days magically standing watch over the lands around, making it easy for Elturel’s riders of the time (sone seventy years ago, now) to track down brigands, fleeing fugitives from justice, and prowling monsters).
Once Jorrist’s aptitude for arcane magic was evident, he was taken in by the sorceress Tartella Wyndsar of Elturel (a plain, dumpy, no-nonsense woman who served a succession of city rulers as advisor, eyes and ears, and magical muscle), but taught only detection and scrying spells, for fear he’d try to take vengeance on all who’d mistreated him. He did nothing of the kind, and in the end perished at Wyndsar’s side, on the night of Mirtul 9th in 1304 DR, when the Calishite mage Arash Ildroun teleported into her tower to remove her from the local scene (she’d been thwarting attempts to menace and so control local merchants by a cabal of Calishite wizards, of whom Ildroun was a member).
Jorrist’s lauday is marked by a musical processional (which interested passersby and members of the community can join or follow) of Helmite clergy to a chosen place (often their temple, but where possible a local hilltop or other vantage point, natural or man-made), where clerics (and sorcerers and wizards friendly to Helm or to this observance) will for free farscry, either by spell or item (usually crystal balls), persons and places chosen by folk who joined in the processional. The intent is to give members of the general public (with preference to devout Helmites, and secondly to those who joined in the processional) direct view of what is seen in the scrying, so they can “see for themselves” and even direct movement of the scrying.
If demand and resources permit, this process will continue until dusk, when persons who make monetary offerings to Helm (however small) by throwing them into upturned helms placed on stands and guarded by priests, are feasted in a generous meal (with wine and ale) at the priests’ expense. (In small villages, Jorrist may consist only of one priest with a crystal ball, and the feast a meal at the local inn or tavern for which he pays for the wine and ale, and the diners contribute food (what we modern real-world folk usually call “potluck”).

STORMGUARD (Kythorn 6): Kulthan Stormguard was a Purple Dragon knight who was killed on this day in 1322 DR while single-handedly fighting outlaws in the King’s Forest, to defend woodcutters the outlaws had been terrorizing, robbing, and murdering. He had spent the last three years of his life riding hard from forest camp to cutters’ glade to hunting lodge to steading, trying to be everywhere at once in his attempts to make the King’s Forest safer. His death spurred the Dragons of the day to “scour out” the forest, markedly lessening brigand and monster attacks for more than a decade.
Today, the lauday of Stormguard is celebrated by martial demonstrations, contests, and tournaments throughout Cormyr, hosted, administered, and largely participated in by Purple Dragons (though anyone is welcome to participate, so long as they wear or use nothing magical, relying entirely on “prowess of arms”). It is a day when “all ranks are equal” in etiquette (and repercussions afterwards!) and policing, both overt and farscrying, is performed by the War Wizards.
The events of Stormguard, from endurance races in full armor to naked wrestling to swordfighting atop logs to lance-jousting in full armor on horseback, are performed in marketplaces and other venues where the public can gather to watch, cheer, and wager, and are accompanied by recruiting drives conducted by retired ex-Dragon veterans (who are handsomely paid for the day).
Drinking is forbidden and frowned-upon by Dragons taking part in Stormguard, but the Crown sponsors HUGE public feasts that begin at dusk. These are often enlivened locally by dancers on tables (sometimes local coinlasses looking to attract business for the wee hours) or by hedge-wizards performing spell-spectacles.

MAELRA (Flamerule 4): Maelra Hallowhand was a tall, strong farmer’s daughter who rose to fame as a horse-archer in the reign of Duar; she led a small local band of local youths (both hes and shes) in rides about the countryside northeastern Cormyr, keeping the peace and hunting prowling monsters (far more numerous in those days). Maelra was slain on this day in 471 DR by a villainous local baron who paid for his deed with his life, once the King discovered what had befallen.
Maelra’s lauday is celebrated with archery contests (in Cormyr, cash prizes for winners are provided by the Crown, via local lords, Purple Dragon commanders, and even tax collectors sent to smaller communities for this purpose), followed by evening feasts at which women famous for having guarded, defended, or watched over others are lauded with numerous toasts, pageants, and tale-telling.

SCORTRYN (Eleint 14): Elkar Scortryn was a mage of Neverwinter whose vigilance saved that city from a sneak attack that would otherwise probably have overwhelmed and destroyed it. Most orc hordes stream over the surface, in a vast moving mob of often-fractious tribes and factions whose leaders send out side-parties as much to keep them from fighting with each other as they are to seek out foes and plunder.
One that arose in 1339 DR came at the city through caverns and underground granaries, storage-chambers, and tunnels, moving on the surface only by night or under the cover of thick forest. By chance Scortryn noticed some orcs while farscrying a trail for a merchant client worried about a shipment that hadn’t shown up - - but on his own initiative the wizard started spell-searching known caverns between Neverwinter and the orcs he’d seen, and so discovered the horde.
On his own he gathered hedge-wizards, novice magelings, and adventurers in need of his coins into a defensive force that collapsed several caverns onto the heads of most of the horde, forcing the remnant to the surface where the hitherto-disbelieving folk of Neverwinter hurriedly mustered to arms and destroyed them in a series of bloody skirmishes that reached almost to the gates of Neverwinter itself.
The lauday of Scortryn is celebrated by priests and devout followers of Helm all across Faerûn feasting wixards, sorcerers, and especially novices, apprentices, untrained-in-Art talents, and would-be magelings, giving them gifts as well as food and drink, and proclaiming their names in local speeches (often bringing them to the attention of potential clients or tutors). Tales are told of vigilant mages who aid those around them benevolently (as opposed to the more common stories of local mages being either recluses or tyrants).

ANNTARRAVIN (Marpenoth 21): Torntyn Anntarravin was a weaponsmaster of Tethyr centuries ago, who served in several duchies of that realm training the soldiery - - not in battlefield tactics or war per se, but in personal vigilance while guarding places, valuables, or people (being properly equipped, remembering faces and names, varying where and when places are searched or looked at, working together properly so a guardian can never be caught alone, and so on). He’s credited for much of the effectiveness of bodyguards and gateguards in that realm, and by extension (as others observed and copied) other lands, too.
The lauday of Anntarravin is marked by local feasts of thanks for guardians (who have the day off, their duties typically being performed by priests of Helm, War Wizards or equivalent organizations, local guilds, and so on), whereat guardians can eat and drink for free. In recent decades, Anntarravin has also become a day when weapon makers and vendors, and especially makers and sellers of armor, helms, and shields, gather in trade fairs or set up their own “open tables” to sell their wares. (In Cormyr, the prohibition on carrying weapons is lifted for the day, so folk can shop without hindrance.)

BORDROS (Uktar 10): Bordros was a “robber baron” (self-styled lord, who ruled a band of raiders from his own mountain castle) active centuries ago in the mountains that now gird northern Amn. A large, brawling bear of a man, given to butchery, he had one redeeming quality: all priests, from hermits to those who dwelt in abbeys, were strictly “off limits” when it came to plunder and ill-treatment - - even those who took up arms against him! Moreover, he often came riding like nightwind [nomenclature note: “run like nightwind” or “ride like nightwind” is the Faerûnian equivalent of “pell-mell” or “hell for leather”] to the aid of temples, abbeys, and even individual priests if he heard they were threatened by others. Bordros gave his own offerings most heavily at the altars of Helm, but defended the religious of all faiths.
The lauday of Bordros is observed by local races, either afoot in full armor or mounted in full armor and gear (or both). These contests often have prizes, and are usually for long distances across country, with steeplechase-like walls, streams, and ditches to jump (as opposed to short dashes in confined areas), though in some cities they are great circuits through the city. The races have a history of violent spills and collisions. When the races are done, Helmite-sponsored feasting takes place until the next dawn, often accompanied by hard drinking and debauchery (it’s a no-consequences, let-one’s-hair-down time, even for the most devoute Helmites).

Ed was saying he didn't detail the additional laudays because they weren't observed (yes, celebrated) in Cormyr, which is where the questor's campaign is based. All of the laudays Ed did detail are celebrated almost everywhere in the known Realms, among faithful of Helm. This includes Cormyr.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000