Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How up to date are you with reading FR novels?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 84

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2002 :  10:15:27  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Delete Topic
Just wondered how far though your Realms novel collection you all are, as in how many you have read. Also, what is everyone reading at the moment?

I have read about 1/2 of the complete collection, im trying to read though the rest in order of importance of the Realms. I made sure I read trilogies such as the Avatar Trilogy, Threat from the Sea and Return of the Archwizards etc. as they play major roles in Realmslore and history.

Im anxiously awaiting "The Sorcerer" and im reading "Cormyr: A Novel" at home (I need to rush through that and get "Death of the Dragon" out of the way), and reading "The Shattered Mask" at work (phew! not enough hours in the day, dont ya just hate it when real life gets in the way ).

I love the Sembia series so far so I want to catch up on those novels, but I also wanna get into The Hunters Blades Trilogy and War of the Spider Queen! ARRRGGHHHH too many novels, too much of a backlog, I cant cope!

Mod Edit: Removed virtual adhesive.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - The Sage on 25 May 2011 01:52:54

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2002 :  14:39:53  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message
i have every novel and have read every novel, except the 3 from this month (Insurrection,sands of the soul, and the sorcerer)

i was fortunate to start reading the series when there were about 25 books, so for me its always been whatever book is out that month is the one im reading.

i believe i will read Sands of the Soul first.

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2002 :  14:52:14  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
wow! i envy you! it must feel so good to be able to read the novels as they come out and be totally up to date on your Realms events. I must remind myself to quit my day job and devote more time to the Realms
Im really looking forward to Sands of the Soul as Tazi is my second most favorite character from the Sembia series (second to Erevis Cale), but I have to get through 2.5 books in that series beforehand!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Solmyr
Seeker

Sweden
78 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2002 :  14:54:39  Show Profile  Visit Solmyr's Homepage Send Solmyr a Private Message
I have read about 30 FR books. My collection right now consists of 110, so I am a bit behind. Lately I haven't read very much, except the superb A song of Fire and Ice series by George RR Martin. If you haven't read them yet, do it, because it's a real fantasy masterpiece.

With each post i grow wiser and with added wisdom I grow stronger.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2002 :  17:37:03  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Solmyr

Lately I haven't read very much, except the superb A song of Fire and Ice series by George RR Martin. If you haven't read them yet, do it, because it's a real fantasy masterpiece.

To bad we have to wait so long for the next part... I have the first three in hardcover, and am dying to get the next installment.

sorry for the non-realms relevance of this.

I have a small collection of FR novels, probably 30 or so, however I collect my books mostly for the literary value, and unfortunately not all the Realms authors are up to my standards... Not to say that I don't enjoy reading some of them.
Go to Top of Page

KlarthAilerion
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2002 :  17:37:56  Show Profile  Visit KlarthAilerion's Homepage Send KlarthAilerion a Private Message
I've read (and own) about half of the novels, but unfortunately not in order. I'm in the middle of the Thread from the Sea books right now, and am eagerly awaiting the third book in the Return of the Archwizards trilogy. I'm going to try and hold off on reading The Thousand Orcs until both of the other novels in the Hunter's Blades trilogy are written (yeah, right).. I didn't wait for the third Return of the Archwizards book to come out, and it sucked having to wait a year to find out what happens.
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2002 :  18:58:44  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message
Just got Sands of the Soul and The Sorcerer today. Will definitly read about archwizards first
Go to Top of Page

Solmyr
Seeker

Sweden
78 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2002 :  20:57:35  Show Profile  Visit Solmyr's Homepage Send Solmyr a Private Message
A little more Off topic...
Hopefully A Feast for Crows will be out next spring, if Martin keeps his current schedule. I am really looking forward to it.

Here is a adress to a very good ASOFAI forum:
http://pub26.ezboard.com/basoiaf

With each post i grow wiser and with added wisdom I grow stronger.
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2002 :  21:40:33  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message
Let's see... what all have i read and own... bleh... The Avatar Trilogy, and it's sequels Price of Lies and Crucible. Baldur's Gate trilogy. Cleric Quintet (own both the old covers and new). Cormyr Saga. Just finished Counselors and Kings. The Dark Elf Trilogy, Icewind Dale Trilogy, Legacy of the Drow Series, Paths of Darkness Series. Elminster Saga (1-4). Empires Trilogy. Finder's Stone Trilogy and sequel Masquerades (Harpers 10). Harpers Series #3,4, 11, 14, and 15. Heroes of Phlan trilogy. The lost Empires. Maztica Trilogy. Moonshae Trilogy. Netheril Trilogy. The Nobles series. Shadow of the Avatar trilogy. Song and Swords Books. The original two of Starlight and shadows series. The Threat from the sea trilogy. Realms of Valor, infamy, magic, underdark, arcane, mystery, and deep. Evermeet:Island of Elves. Glass Prison. Once around the Realms. Pool of Radiance:RoMD. Shadow Stone. Original SpellFire and Crown of Fire. Silverfall. Murder in Halruaa and Murder in Cormyr.
As for books i own and have yet to read. I JUST started The Thousand Orcs this week and am half-way through (damn college classes take my free time). I also have the cities series, all but #5 and 6 of the Double Diamond Triangle saga or whatever it's called. Harper's #1 Parched Sea, First two books of the Druidhome Trilogy, the four return of the archwizards books (including realms of shadows), the first 6 books of the sembia series, Dissolution, and the new Shandril Saga 3 books.
phew... now that's a lot to type... bleh... hehe

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2002 :  00:46:21  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message
Just bought the Sorceror....all kinds of happy to finally find out what's going to happen with Shade Enclave, the Phaerimm, etc....!!!!!

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2002 :  04:53:11  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message
Well, I just started reading and collecting the Forgotten Realms novels about 3 months ago so I only have 17 novels which includes the following:
The Avatar Trilogy
The Prince of Lies
Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad
Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor
The Dark Elf Trilogy
The Icewind Dale Trilogy
The Legacy
Starless Night
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal.
I have read all of the books I've listed except Starless Night, which I am currently reading.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2002 :  23:25:35  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message
Drummerboy-

I know that you are just now getting to Starless Night, but may I give you some advice.....

Read SIEGE OF DARKNESS! It is simply phenomnenal....I think it on par with Homeland.......

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2002 :  18:41:17  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message
I second that recomendation!
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2002 :  02:10:41  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ArionElenim

Drummerboy-

I know that you are just now getting to Starless Night, but may I give you some advice.....

Read SIEGE OF DARKNESS! It is simply phenomnenal....I think it on par with Homeland.......

I didn't notice you replied to me until now, but at this point I have already finished reading Siege of Darkness. Yes, I agree, it is a very well-written book. Now I'm just waiting until I get Passage to Dawn, which is the next book in the series.

Well, I already listed the books I have but now I'm going to update my post because I have a lot more books now. As of now I have 33 novels, have read 18 of them so far, and I am reading Realms of Valor right now.(I'm too lazy to list all of the books, though.)

Edited by - Drummer Boy on 03 Dec 2002 04:12:15
Go to Top of Page

briar37
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2002 :  01:29:20  Show Profile  Visit briar37's Homepage Send briar37 a Private Message
lol i am soo behind. I just have started the book Exile, my 2nd FR book behind Homeland. I am having some trouble though with Exile. I havent been able to really get into it

Currently Reading:
"Sojourn" by R.A Salvatore

Next Book:
Don't Know yet
Go to Top of Page

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2002 :  04:30:01  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by drummerboy465

quote:
Originally posted by ArionElenim

Drummerboy-

I didn't notice you replied to me until now, but at this point I have already finished reading Siege of Darkness. Yes, I agree, it is a very well-written book. Now I'm just waiting until I get Passage to Dawn, which is the next book in the series.

Well, I already listed the books I have but now I'm going to update my post because I have a lot more books now. As of now I have 33 novels, have read 18 of them so far, and I am reading Realms of Valor right now.(I'm too lazy to list all of the books, though.)

Ok, I have another update. Now I have 40 books altogether. I've read 18 of them and I am reading Realms of Valor now.
Go to Top of Page

Mispeld
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2002 :  19:11:16  Show Profile  Visit Mispeld's Homepage Send Mispeld a Private Message
I am New to the FR world my self only read about 12 books(all of them R.A Salvators) But i am starting to collect them. Figured since i have all the Dragonlance books(read all of them to) that i should read FR also since its a great set of books also.

Mispeld
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2002 :  19:20:22  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message
Let's see...

I have read the Avatar series 1-5 about 6 months ago. I need to get the 6th book soon.

I have read the Darkelf Trilogy.

I am waiting for Avatar book 6 and Icewind Dale Trilogy.

A friend of mine borrowed the books about Elminster's travels but said that they were not that good. I primarily read the Avatar series due to the information about the time of troubles - they were not that good.

I am not even familiar with all the other FR books you mention.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake

Edited by - Echon on 09 Dec 2002 19:21:54
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2002 :  19:47:57  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
Well since I started this topic I have finished Cormyr: A Novel (wasnt that great, hard going at times), and The Shattered Mask (fantastic, got me gripped!!) and have also read and finished Black Wolf (also fantastic!!). Im now part way through Heirs of Prophecy but I have a dilemma next....

I want to read Sands of the Soul as so far the Sembia series has been amazing and I love Tazi, the main character of this novel.

But I also want to read The Sorcerer as its the last novel of a Realms-shattering event, and I enjoyed the previous two books of the Return of the Archwizards Trilogy.

Speaking of Realms-shattering events, theres also Dissolution and Insurrection that I want to start too!!

ARGH!! Any advice as to what to go for next?

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2002 :  22:08:03  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Echon

I have read the Avatar series 1-5 about 6 months ago. I need to get the 6th book soon.

6th book? of the Avatar series...? when did that occur? i know there's the Avatar trilogy... then Prince of Lies and Crucible:Trial of Cyric the Mad. But what's the 6th? There's also the "Shadows of the Avatar" Trilogy... but that's occuring kind of WITH the Avatar trilogy... not after... i'm curious as to what the 6th book is :P I've only heard of five that were technically put under that title...

And since my last post... i finished The Thousand Orcs... Dissolution, The Summoning, The Siege, Realms of Shadow, and just today i finished The Sorcerer... (wow.. in just a month's time... my last post was Nov 8... hehe) I'm about to start up on Insurrection in a bit..
Then i still ahve the Cities Series, Sembia Series, The parched Sea, The Druidhome Trilogy (when i can get a decent copy of the third book so i can read them straight through), Twilight Titan's Trilogy (whatever it's called... still need the last two books before i'll start reading)... And then when i get the 5th and 6th book fo teh Double Diamond Triangle set i'll read that... and when my 'Veiled Dragon" from the harpers series arrives... i'll do that too... among the rest of the books i still need to get copies... and then whatever comes out this year... i'm actually catching up :P hehe.. damn school always gets in the way... colleges should burn in hell... hehe... i need a time machine to go back in time and beat the living you-know-what outta the guy that came up with the idea of 'further education'... hehe

Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2002 :  09:27:08  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zacas
6th book? of the Avatar series...? when did that occur? i know there's the Avatar trilogy... then Prince of Lies and Crucible:Trial of Cyric the Mad. But what's the 6th? There's also the "Shadows of the Avatar" Trilogy... but that's occuring kind of WITH the Avatar trilogy... not after... i'm curious as to what the 6th book is :P I've only heard of five that were technically put under that title...

Well, maybe it is the 5th, I did not bother finding out. It is called Waterdeep if my memory serves me correctly.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2002 :  18:52:23  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message
quote:
Well, maybe it is the 5th, I did not bother finding out. It is called Waterdeep if my memory serves me correctly.

-Echon

Um... Waterdeep is the THIRD book in the avatar series... it goes, in this order, Shadowdale, Tantras, Waterdeep, Prince of Lies, and then Crucible: Trial of Cyric the Mad.

Then there's "The Shadow of the Avatar Trilogy"... Shadows of Doom, Cloak of Shadows, and All Shadows Fled. But those aren't of the avatar series... they're at the same time as the firs three books of the avatar trilogy, but focus more on Elminster and them, than it does on Midnight, Kelemvor, Cyric, and the other people..

Go to Top of Page

Feanor_Karnil
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2002 :  00:41:41  Show Profile  Visit Feanor_Karnil's Homepage Send Feanor_Karnil a Private Message
Of all FR novels I have read, I have only read Salvatore's books because he is such an incredibly awesome author. But of his books I have only his new series to read. His books inspired me to go out and get all the FR DnD mauals.

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us around every corner.
-Mikai Daerni
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2003 :  14:01:54  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message
Up to date... hmm, I'm just finding myself looking at a little reading backlog: Sands of the Soul and the Return of the Archwizards series.

After that, there's a couple of gaps in my collection, most notably most of the Harpers series... but they're not high on my priority list. That is unless someone on the forum can convince me there are books in that series that I absolutely must read. (I do have the books about Danilo and Arilyn which recently got re-published)
Go to Top of Page

AraznBlair
Learned Scribe

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2003 :  15:20:43  Show Profile  Visit AraznBlair's Homepage Send AraznBlair a Private Message
I've read most of the books. My collection ranges from the Avatar Trilogy to the begining of the Spider Queen Trilogy. I have not read the most of the Harpers except Elain Cunninghams With Danilo and Aralyn (sp?). Nor have I read the Sembia Series. Right now I'm searching E-Bay for the Nitheral Trilogy. That should complete my set with the exception of those that I listed as not having.

Arazn Blair
Fightermage Extrodinare
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2003 :  16:30:37  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
Just cleared a good portion of backlog up myself. Whizzed through the Sembia series, not long finished Sands of the Soul (really enjoyable!), then just finished reading The Sorcerer (Book 3 of the Return of the Archwizards), and now just started Dissolution.

Once that has been wrapped up, I might go straight on to Insurrection if I cant find it anywhere, otherwise its a toss up between:

The Thousand Orcs
Beyond of the High Road
Evermeet: Island of Elves

Lord Rad

Edited by - Lord Rad on 16 Jan 2003 16:31:21
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2003 :  17:08:51  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message
Rad,

I don't know 1000 Orcs yet, but I'd give a higher priority to Evermeet: Island of Elves compared to Beyond the High Road.

Though the latter is not a bad story, it is not on par with Cormyr: A Novel or Elaine Cunningham's book.
Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2003 :  19:02:19  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message
Sadly, I'm just starting to read my first one. I imagine i have quite a few to go before i dent the surface. Can anyone give me rough estimate as to how many there are?

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2003 :  19:30:15  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
Im not particularly bothered about reading Beyond the High Road, but I thought its best to get it read as I havent read Death of the Dragon yet, which is quite a key event in Realms history. So thats my real aim for reading that novel

...and after your commend about Evermeet: Island of Elves, and with ArionElenim constantly praising the "Elven Bible"........it had better live up to the hype!!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2003 :  12:22:05  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
Well contrary to my previous post, Im about 1/2 way through Beyond the High Road and am quite enjoying it

Since my prior post, I had read Dissolution followed by Insurrection, both FANTASTIC novels and Im really looking forward to Condemnation in May! Also read The Thousand Orcs, Daughter of the Drow and Tangled Webs recently. (ive been really hammering away at FR novel reading lately, ive been far too slack over the years )

Im awaiting a copy of Lord of Stormweather to arrive, REALLY looking forward to that one!

::awaits a severe telling-off by ArionElenim, Bookwyrm et. al. for not reading Evermeet: Island of Elves )

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2003 :  20:27:25  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
[Bookwyrm casts Tenhejem's Terrible Tickling on Rad.]

So there.

However . . . I have to admit that I'm far behind on my FR reading . . . I mentioned someplace else that due to how I frequent used bookstores more than retail, I haven't even kept up with what's out, much less with what to buy. And now, with the information I'm looking for on the games, it may be some time before I have enough money for more FR novels from retail.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 84 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000