Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How up to date are you with reading FR novels?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 84

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2003 :  04:19:32  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message
I've read almost the entire Song and Swords series (except Thornhold...I got bored with that one so I never finished it), Curse of the Shadowmage (courtesy of Lost Elph. She lent me her copy since I don't have it and can no longer find it at Merlin's), I've read the Dark Elf Trilogy, The Icewind Dale Trilogy, the Legacy of the Drow series, and I'm up to Spine of the World in the Paths of Darkness series. Though I've already read Servant of the Shard. I've read parts of some of the Realms of books. I have the Thousand Orcs, Return of the Archwizards book 1, Canticle (cleric quintet book 1), Daughter of the Drow, and The Shattered Mask that Lost Elph gave me for one of my past birthdays...all of those I haven't read yet. I haven't had the chance. I also have read Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn (as I have played the game...I read it to figure out what the basic storyline/plotline of it was. it's a good book too). Hmm...let's see...I think that's it as far as which ones I've read and have...if I'm missing one I can't remember which. I've also read Christie Golden's book Vampire of the Mists about Jander Sunstar. A very good book in my opinion. Though Bookwyrm will probably tell you differently.

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2003 :  07:58:37  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Well, it could have been better. That's all I'm saying. I found the "darkness" of it to be destracting -- I know it's Ravenloft, though. I only read it because I'd read some of the Jander stories in the Realms anthologies. I wanted to read more.

SPOILER!!!!!!

I just don't like it when the hero dies!!!! I didn't know that was the end!

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2003 :  08:01:24  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message
I know what you mean believe me. I don't like those type of endings either.

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2003 :  21:59:15  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message
UHM....

I'm not convinced Jander is dead.....

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

KlarthAilerion
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  01:16:01  Show Profile  Visit KlarthAilerion's Homepage Send KlarthAilerion a Private Message
I've just started reading the Sembia series (had to wait for the last book to start through it), and I'm trying to hold off on The Hunter's Blade trilogy and the War of the Spider Queen series until they are completed (yeah, what are the odds of that happening). If I can find the first three novels in the Harpers series I will have completed that series, so those 16 books should keep me busy after I finish Sembia.

*looks around under the hood of his cloak, then speaks in a lower voice*

I know we're supposed to keep it strictly Realms around here, but I just finished reading the Clan War series of the Legend of the Five Rings setting. Stephen Sullivan and crew pulled off an excellent fantasy series, incorporating real mythology of China, Korea, and Japan. If you want a break from the Realms or need some reading material to fill the time until the next batch of Realms novels get released, pick up the seven Clan War scrolls.. make sure to read them in order, or the story could get spoiled. I have the first book in the next LotFR series, but I'm going to try and wait to read those in order too.

*notices the local authorities approaching, and quietly sneaks out a side passage*
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  06:35:14  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message
I feel like a lowly scribe compared to a lot of you on this topic. I've only read a few of the total that's out there.
So let's see....

The first 3 books in the Avatar series
The Spell Fire trilogy
Daughter of the Drow and Tangled Webs
the ENTIRE Dark Elf Saga from the Icewind Dale Trilogy to The Thousand Orcs (my absolute favorites next to Tolkien)
Silverfall - great story with ALL of the Seven Sisters
the first two books of the War of the Spider Queen series

I'm currently working on the Cleric Quintet.

Just too damn many to read them all!

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  06:48:02  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message
I've read:

Dark Elf Trilogy
Icewind Dale Trilogy
Legacy Series
Daughter of the Drow

And I'm reading right now "Shadow's Witness"

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  20:23:14  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message
You should read Prince of Lies and Crucible... they are fantastic
Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2003 :  04:44:13  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message
I'll try to find them but I don't think the library has them. Looks like I'll have to buy them, most likely.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

pwent
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2003 :  05:35:48  Show Profile  Visit pwent's Homepage Send pwent a Private Message
at the moment i'm reading The Siege, Return of the archwizards series. Have read Avatar Trilogy, Shadow of Avatar trilogy, all the salvatore books, the first three elminster books(Waiting to read Elminster in Hell after i get through archwizards), Shandril Saga. Man am i behind. Have but haven't read: Cormyr Trilogy, Songs and Swords trilogy, Evermeet: Island of the Elves, Harpers books 1 & 5, Sembia Series, the two War of the Spiderqueen books, Kings and Counclers, first two Starlight and Shadows, couple of the Realms anthologies, Empires trilogy, Finders Stone trilogy, Empires trilogy, Moonshae Trilogy, Crucible & Prince of Lies, and the Nether Scroll. My god what am i doing on here, i have so much to do!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

KlarthAilerion
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  00:54:20  Show Profile  Visit KlarthAilerion's Homepage Send KlarthAilerion a Private Message
I just finished the Sembia series and pretty much enjoyed it. It's didn't keep my attention as much as some other series of novels, but I suppose that's to be expected since it focuses on family-related issues as the main "theme" between books and not some all-encompassing plot. And there will be at least some continuation from this series with the upcoming Erevis Cale novels, so that's always good.

Next up for my Realms reading is to backtrack a little and read Silverfall. After that, if I can find Harpers 1,2,3, 5, and 7 then I'll backtrack some more and finally be able to read through that series and place them up on the Fantasy Bookshelf where they belong. After that I'll be mostly up to date with the Realms, although I still need to someday buy The Moonshae Trilogy, The Empires Trilogy, The Maztica Trilogy, The Twilight Giant's Trilogy, The Double Diamond Triangle Saga, Once Around the Realms, and Murder in Halruaa to own a complete (to this point) Forgotten Realms set.

Well, onto Silverfall.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  06:23:31  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Harpers doesn't need to be read in order, you know . . . . Some of them have sequels, or are sequels themselves, but it's not a linear series like the Drizzt novels. It's a lot like the Realms themselves -- "proper order" need not apply.

Allow me to walk you through it.

#1 The Parched Sea -- No prequels.

#2 ElfShadow -- (AKA Songs and Swords #1) No prequels.

#3 Red Magic -- No prequels.

#4 The Night Parade -- No prequels.

#5 The Ring of Winter -- No prequels.

#6 Crypt of the Shadowking -- No prequels.

#7 Soldiers of Ice -- No prequels.

#8 Elfsong -- (AKA Songs and Swords #2) Sequel to Elfshadow.

#9 Crown of Fire -- (AKA Shandril Saga #1) Sequel to Spellfire.

#10 Masquerades -- Sequel to the Finder's Stone trilogy.

#11 Curse of the Shadowmage -- Sequel to Crypt of the Shadowking.

#12 The Veiled Dragon -- Sequel to The Parched Sea.

#13 Silver Shadows -- (AKA Songs and Swords #3) Concurrent with Elfsong.

#14 Stormlight -- No prequels.

#15 Finder's Bane -- Sequel to the Finder's Bane trilogy (seperate of Masquerades).

#16 Thornhold -- (AKA Songs and Swords #4) Not really a sequel, feel free to pretend this doesn't exist.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

KlarthAilerion
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  18:26:08  Show Profile  Visit KlarthAilerion's Homepage Send KlarthAilerion a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Harpers doesn't need to be read in order, you know

Oh, I know. I just like to see them put up on the bookshelf in order That's not to say that I've read every series in chronological order, I just like seeing that "Book 1, Book 2, Book 3, etc" for some reason. Thanks for the breakdown of sequels and prequels, though.. if I forget where a reference in one of the Harpers novels comes from, now it should be easy enough for me to go back and look it up.
Go to Top of Page

Valius
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  17:06:40  Show Profile  Visit Valius's Homepage Send Valius a Private Message
Ive read and own about half of the collection though Im not reading them in order. The one Im on now is The Thousand Orcs but I havent started it yet because of so many other book Im trying to finish. Before that I was unfortunate enough to red Stormlight.
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  20:55:36  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message
Keeping with my insaneness I have read almost all the books set in the Forgotten Realms. The list includes, but is hardly limited to, every Drizzt book (enough with the goodly-aligned Drow, it's been done to death), Avater Series, Cormyr Series, Starlight and Shadows Series (number three is out now), Cleric Quintet, the Shandril Saga, Return of the Archwizards...the list never ends. I still have to read one of the earlier Trilogies though, something to do with the Moonshaes that I have never been able to get my hands on for some reason, and Elminster in Hell (hesitant to buy this book). Beyond that, I've read it.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  09:39:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Greetings,

Edain Shadowstar said -
quote:
Keeping with my insaneness I have read almost all the books set in the Forgotten Realms. The list includes, but is hardly limited to, every Drizzt book (enough with the goodly-aligned Drow, it's been done to death), Avater Series, Cormyr Series, Starlight and Shadows Series (number three is out now), Cleric Quintet, the Shandril Saga, Return of the Archwizards...the list never ends. I still have to read one of the earlier Trilogies though, something to do with the Moonshaes that I have never been able to get my hands on for some reason, and Elminster in Hell (hesitant to buy this book). Beyond that, I've read it.
The Moonshae Trilogy is one of my favorites, it was also, by uncanny circumstances, the first FR book-series that I ever read.

As to how up-to-date I am with reading FR novels, Condemnation is the only FR released novel I have not read yet.

I also have every novel published as well

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zaknafein
Seeker

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  02:36:11  Show Profile  Visit Zaknafein's Homepage Send Zaknafein a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Edain Shadowstar

and Elminster in Hell (hesitant to buy this book). Beyond that, I've read it.

ive read all of Elminster Series and it is pretty good...not that my opinion counts or anything, but Elminster in Hell is undoubtedly the worst of the series to me...sorry

oh yeah, there is a new elminster novel coming out eventually i hear

Zaknafein Do'Urden: mentor, teacher, friend....To Zak, the one who inspired my courage. -Drizzt Do'Urden

Full plate and packing steel.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  11:25:18  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zaknafein

quote:
Originally posted by Edain Shadowstar

and Elminster in Hell (hesitant to buy this book). Beyond that, I've read it.

ive read all of Elminster Series and it is pretty good...not that my opinion counts or anything, but Elminster in Hell is undoubtedly the worst of the series to me...sorry

oh yeah, there is a new elminster novel coming out eventually i hear

Thatll be Elminsters Daughter. I havent heard anything about it at all, I cant say im anxious for it as I havent read any of the other novels in the Elminster series.

::cowers expecting Bookwyrm to lash out in anger::

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  11:58:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
[Bookwyrm looks over at him strangly. After all, he wasn't fanatic about the Elminster series; certainly not like he was about Evermeet.]

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  17:47:23  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

[Bookwyrm looks over at him strangly. After all, he wasn't fanatic about the Elminster series; certainly not like he was about Evermeet.]

Realmslore is Realmslore, Bookwyrm, regardless

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

red-delta
Acolyte

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2003 :  21:11:58  Show Profile  Visit red-delta's Homepage Send red-delta a Private Message
I own every FR book thats been published except for the current months two, which would be the third book in the Starlight and SHadows series and book 3 of the War of the Spider Queen, again in hardcover. I also havn't read about five of the other ones that I own, and am currently reading Lord of Stormweather by Dave Gross, which so far, btw, is fantastic.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
Go to Top of Page

KlarthAilerion
Acolyte

49 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  09:05:22  Show Profile  Visit KlarthAilerion's Homepage Send KlarthAilerion a Private Message
I've finished the Harpers series.. I liked most of the books, and I enjoyed all of them, even if a few started to drag along in places. I also read the Empires Trilogy which I found to be very entertaining. The real-world-to-Faerun corellations were a bit strong in some places, but not so much so that it ruined the story. As a sidenote here, I liked the Clan Wars series from the Legend of the Five Rings novel-line better than Dragonwall as far as the oriental theme, but the LotFR books didn't have to be set up to tie into a larger setting like the Empires Trilogy books did with Crusade.

I'm going to get Once Around the Realms out of the way next.. hopefully it's not as bad as I've heard. After that, I've got the Twilight Giant's Trilogy and the Maztica Trilogy as well as the first two books of the Druidhome Trilogy.. maybe I'll get lucky and find the third book before I'm done reading the others, but I've heard that it's hard to find. That'll leave me with Murder in Halruaa, The Double Diamond Triangle Saga (of which I'm still missing 4 of the novelas), and The Moonshae Trilogy to find and read to be completely caught up.

Well, completely caught up to all completed series, anyway.. I'm trying to hold off reading the Hunter's Blade Trilogy and the War of the Spider Queen series until they're completed, although I'll probably run out of stuff to read before they're finished. I suppose I should read my Forgotten Realms sourcebooks at some point, too...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  12:15:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Once Around the Realms is not that bad, as long as you read it, understanding that this is a novel not meant to be taken as canon, or none-too seriously for that matter. Remember that, and you should enjoy the book.

May all your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2003 :  09:16:38  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Klarth, take a look over at the Candlekeep Auction thread, page three. You'll find that I posted all three of the Moonshae books, as well as The Druid Queen, as obtainable. And, I believe, you can order right from the owners; no need to go through me, like I had thought.

Oh, and you might want to reverse your reading list, or at least rearrange it. The Moonshae Trilogy comes before Druidhome, after all.

Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2003 :  20:12:07  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message
Hrm... i've finally narrowed it down on the number of books i have left to read... once i get conspiracy (book6 of the Double Diamond Triangle saga), The Druid Queen (Book3 of the Druidhome Trilogy) and then Harper #6 Crypt of the shadowking... i will have a total of 6-8 novels and the 6 tiny DDTS books to read and i'm done... so i have the DDTS to read, The Druidhome Trilogy, Crypt of the Shadowking, Condemnation... and then if i decide to reread the first two starlight and shadow novels before i read windwalker...
Then all i'll have to worry about are any new novels out each year... hehe... i've read all the sembia books this past month... gawd did the end of the last book choke me up... :P but that's another story...

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  07:51:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Zarcas, there's a bookstore here who has a copy of The Druid Queen, if you want it.

Notice I'm a bit testy -- I spent the time at the bookstore writing it all down, then I post it up here, and no one makes any offers . . . and it's all non-profit, too. It's not like I'm actually selling you anything and cheating you out of your cash.

Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  17:49:47  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message
oh... i must have missed the list somewhere... or i just haven't looked :P hehe... Sorry... my bro's started to bid on E-bay for some of the books... and i found a really nice looking alternate cover for the Icewind Dale Trilogy Collector's Edition Hardcover... one i've not seen before... hrm...

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Aeriden Raven
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  10:07:46  Show Profile  Visit Aeriden Raven's Homepage Send Aeriden Raven a Private Message
So far I have read

The Avatar Trilogy
Prince of Lies
The Crucible

Evermeet

The Darkelf Trilogy (just finished the last book this morning )

I will start with the Icewind Dale Trilogy now. I was thinking of Legacy of the Drow after that, would that be the correct order to read them?

Edited by - Aeriden Raven on 25 Jun 2003 10:08:32
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  11:26:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Absolutely Aeriden, that is the best order to read the series of books. And since you have just finished the Dark Elf trilogy, you are now in line to read all about Drizzt and Co's adventures in proper chronological order.

Hope you enjoy them.

May all your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  11:30:19  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
The Bookwyrm looks as though he's not sure whether to explain the truth -- again -- or just cry due to the fact that another scribe has read them out of order -- again.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 84 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000