Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 So what do you think dragons hoarded before wealth
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2015 :  03:22:07  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What do you think dragons hoarded before there was wealth? I've never read anywhere that giants and early elves had any sort of currency system so what do you think the dragons would hoard in their lairs?

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2015 :  03:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything shiny? I'm not sure before wealth would be the right question. Before wealth as we know it might be better.

Several dragons I've read about hoarded things other than coin.
It's really whatever strikes their fancy. The race as a general whole has simply adopted a gold standard for now.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2015 :  03:53:22  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Possibly rare or pretty things in general. Diamonds, platinum, titanium, adamantine, well crafted weapons and armor etc.

Edited by - Baltas on 04 Apr 2015 03:58:56
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2015 :  05:42:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pogs.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2015 :  06:12:28  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good question.

I'd say trophies from battles with non-dragons. Anything magical too, like giant weapons or armor, or whatever magic the early elves brought with them that a dragon may have never before seen.

Edit: I will add that the thing I believe they valued the most was territory, and anything of value in that territory.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 04 Apr 2015 06:13:56
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2015 :  06:41:34  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gawds you're a nerd Wooly.

I'm with everyone else. I suspect their treasures included more magic, since there's reason to believe that they were more formidable wielders of the Art back in those days. Trophies and minerals are good too.

I especially like the "anything of value in that territory." Crystalline lakes, colorful hot springs, places where veins of ore/minerals rose to the surface in visually pleasing patterns, particular cliffs, waterfalls, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7973 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2015 :  13:29:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Works of art. Finely crafted items. Exotic spices. Expensive silks. Musical instruments. Musicians. Exotic liquors. Rare ores. Gemstones. Jewellery. Crowns. Sceptres. Skulls. Trophies. Books. Deeds to land. Slaves. Cattle. Magic. Allies. Weapons. Desirable women.

A dragon could perceive value in anything a non-dragon perceives as valuable. With possession of such things comes status, prestige, influence and power over others.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 04 Apr 2015 14:12:49
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2015 :  14:31:00  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bones!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2015 :  16:35:32  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Giantcraft did mention a story about a 2 stone gold coin from the realm of Ostoria, so coins were used from the Age of Giants and on.

The most commmon treasure dragons would be able to hoard from humamoid prey would be trade goods and weapons. For example half-produced tools, pottery and surpluss foodstuffs for trade and hunting tools such as masterwork spears, axes and clubs for weapons. I would guess most dragons would not see any value in most of those weapons unless they managed to hurt him, and the trade goods would go in their hoard if they might not have seen an example of it earlier. Dragons hoard not for trade but out of pride: the idea of owning a big pile of things they like or might use in the future.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2015 :  16:53:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im gonna go with territory, slaves and empires. Fits in nicely with the idea that dragons from long ago were overlords of large empires. They were hoarding the things that lead to the creation of empires.
When the dracorage ended those empires and their successors and their successors, most dragons switched to hoarding treasure which was far more permanent

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  04:02:52  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragons hoard wealthy primarily as a measure of status. There are other measures of status, but they tend to specific to individual species or types; for example, performing good deeds and quests increases a gold or silver dragon's status amongst golds and silvers, but is meaningless to a blue or white. Thus, over time, they gravitated to wealth as something that is a meaningful measure of status amongst almost all dragons. Of course, this probably also reduced the overall dragon population, as with the single primary standard, most any dragon could challenge and slay another and gain a big hoard and thus a big boost to their status. Before that, challenging another dragon would have been less rewarding (sure, a red would gain considerable status for killing a gold, but now they gain that *and* the hoard).

The 2e Draconomicon has some good information on the subject.

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  13:57:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
sex slaves.... that's how they became a creator race.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  16:32:41  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always figured they hoarded knowledge back in eons past.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2015 :  21:00:06  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Pogs.

You, sir, have just won +1 internets. I am so glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.

What did wealth look like before coin currencies? What did it look like on Earth? Weaker people subjugated and forced to labor for their new lord. Choice of the fittest individuals for a personal harem (not for dragons). As much food prepared to the lord's liking and brought to his mouth for feasting. Performers to entertain, sycophants to fawn, servants to pamper, prisoners to punish, and fools to ridicule. Without need for clothing, cosmetics, and adornments there is little for dragons to acquire that would be thought of as wealth which wouldn't quickly spoil and lose any value (if not adding a new and funky smell to the lair). Still, piles of furs and cured hides, jars of oils & perfumes, amphorae of wines & olive oil, bricks of peat & incense, piles of woven cloths and patterned rugs,... I said "little," didn't I? I guess there are quite a number of things and I'm stopping here because it is 1pm here and I have somewhere to be. Surely other people can fill more in.

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36781 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2015 :  00:47:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On a more serious note, currency is not the only form of wealth... And there's a lot that can be considered quite valuable even if no one has invented currency, yet. Gold, for example, doesn't have to be formed into coins for it to have value.

Pretty much anything rare and/or hard to obtain could be considered valuable... Ditto for objects deemed to have cultural or religious value. Precious stones, precious metals, certain plants, certain bits of animals... It can all be valuable. Water can be valuable, if you're in a desert.

Information and knowledge are also valuable.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000