Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 All Things Moonshae
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4394 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2019 :  18:54:53  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a further thought, how do brutish creatures survive in islands where space and resources are limited and what use/value would they have for gold.

What I mean is, firbolg do not make anything, they do not farm, they do not craft much beyond fir skins and branch clubs.

On the mainland there are any numbers of enclaves of creatures willing to trade with creatures regardless of their origin or nature. So a brutish monster can happily trade it's stolen loot in return for food and goods as long as it can control it's murderous urges long enough to trade.

On an island those enclaves are reduced in number and spread if they exist at all. Yes there is the underdark but that will not have a connection to every mountain on every island.

So these firbolg have accumulated all this wealth but for what purpose, who can they trade it with. They are in the middle of the myrloch vale, the ffolk and llewyrr and dwarves won't trade with them (because of their murdering and looting) so what would the firbolg do with all that loot. It explains why they have such a pile (they can't spend it) but it does not explain why they would value and collect it in the first place (they can't spend it).

Just a random thought.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3695 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2019 :  19:08:21  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gold fever is an odd illness.

AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4394 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2019 :  19:19:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's true, but gold fever is used too often for d&d creatures. Humans suffer from it obviously as greed is a very human trait. Dwarves suffer from it, a holdover from Tolkien dwarves no doubt. Halflings suffer from it with their tendency to milder anything valuable that is within the reach of twitchy fingers. Dragons have it to explain why these creatures hoard such huge volumes of wealth.

To have all vaguely intelligent creatures suffer from an attraction to a shiny but otherwise useless material seems a bit too far.
Goblins and orcs represent the very worst of human characteristics so of course theur greed and jealousy traits are magnified, but these firbolg are giants.

Giants seem to me like noble creatures with honour (in general). The firbolg are regenerate versions, barely able to clothe themselves, but would they suffer from the same irrational lust for shiny stuff that other magpie like monsters share.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3695 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2019 :  20:41:20  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first post was a bit of sarcasm; but thinking more deeply...

Perhaps there is a magical compulsion affixed to gold. In a universe where magic is real; perhaps the gold itself is a quasi-magical substance that creatures are simply drawn to. Perhaps the same with all Noble Metals...

AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4394 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2019 :  20:57:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can certainly get behind that as an idea.

I think i still need a black market economy of sorts for evil creatures elsewise an army of evil firbolg would not survive.

Maybe the hallucinations that Thorin experiences in the Hobbit are a fairly decent approximation of what happens to people who accumulate too much gold. I reckon i could create a new monster that lives in the astral or ethereal that is attracted to gold and possesses those nearby (to get them to acquire more gold).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3695 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2019 :  21:10:42  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I can certainly get behind that as an idea.

I think i still need a black market economy of sorts for evil creatures elsewise an army of evil firbolg would not survive.

Maybe the hallucinations that Thorin experiences in the Hobbit are a fairly decent approximation of what happens to people who accumulate too much gold. I reckon i could create a new monster that lives in the astral or ethereal that is attracted to gold and possesses those nearby (to get them to acquire more gold).

An "Astral Possessing Spirit" sounds cool! It feeds off the accumulated essence of metals maybe...

AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
31913 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2019 :  02:11:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

To have all vaguely intelligent creatures suffer from an attraction to a shiny but otherwise useless material seems a bit too far.

That's because it's not "all vaguely intelligent creatures" and it's not the gold itself that attracts them. It's the wealth -- which happens to be represented by gold, because gold is a beautiful, mostly useless, yet still rare commodity.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4394 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2019 :  14:14:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am as far as the sisters of synnoria. I'm unsure as to what Avalon the horse is, is it one of the children of the earthmothers or not. I know I've used that it is sired by kamerynn in the past, but I can't recall if that comes from canon.

Also the pack appears to actually be a group of normal wolves gathered around a single wolf who is descended from one of the earthmothers children so I'll have to come up with a name and purpose for this creature.

And back to the Big Cave. Why would coal pollute the Moonwell. Coal is a natural substance, it is formed from pressure acting on fossilized remains (I think) I can't imagine why it would be considered unnatural apart from our modern bias towards industrialisation. I'm thinking perhaps to make it something other than coal, perhaps the ancient remains of a powerful creature - mayhaps something to do with death or magic drain.

I'm guessing from page 95 onwards it is all about the Big battle. I've got about 20 names of people from Cordell and surrounding lands, a few Cantrev and their economy but not much else.

Also trahern bothers me, why did he turn evil. He seemed nice for half a page until kazgoroth "got him" and then he's a pawn. The bloodriders seem consumed with bloodlust so that explains their change of loyalties, but trahern seems to still possess all his mental faculties.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3695 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2019 :  15:02:33  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coal is a double-edged sword.

On the one hand it can actually filter water in the ground.

On the other if it is exposed to the surface and leaches into drinking water it can be poisonous.

AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4394 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2019 :  15:12:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I think I shall make it coal but also not coal. Bodies of potent magical creatures transformed by magic and pressure would make something similar to coal but which also possess a lingering magical quality which in this case is corruption.

I've changed the Moonwells to be the opposite of their stated purpose while also keeping their same properties as listed. They provide magic to the druids bit actually drain that power from the Moonshaes Isles (which are the Earthmother- she's not a god). So kazgoroth actually wants to destroy the Moonwells to save the Earthmother (actually he mostly wants to free himself as the Moonwells form a magical web of leylines that keep him trapped).

The Moonwells are linked to the leshay and the magic and life energy of lady ordalfs keeps them active, so kazgoroth corrupts them with death to break the link and make them normal Moonwells (not magical) once more.

So dumping coal in a Moonwell won't break that link but the ancient dead bodies of powerful creatures will.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4394 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2019 :  11:52:10  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nearly finished darkwalker (thankfully). The depiction of the bloodriders is what I'm going to use for kazgoroths minions way back in the past - creatures fuelled by hate and bloodlust that are consumed by their own rage (and lack of eating or sleeping) until they crumble into dust.

This conferred bloodlust was done in the past using the mere touch of kazgoroth (which imparted his own hatred into the touched creature). Now the Moonwells prevent that touch ability from working but I think I shall have kazgoroth change so that he forces beings to invest his own blood to turn them into more powerful versions that are consumed from within quicker, but which can regenerate by slaying foes. This process is more time consuming and draining so kazgoroth does not use it as frequently as he used his touch in the past.

As an afterthought I can have a few evil creatures remain as a dust version of these hate fuelled monsters that inhabit old battlefields and infect the unwary (maybe that is why llyrath forest has such dangerous creatures in it).

Also came across a northman term for the bloodriders, grunnarch said they were more skeletal and fearsome looking than a deathshead, so I shall use that as a northman name for the drathak (another more recent minion of kazgoroth) which I had pegged as undead but I think I shall refine that to animated dead (and not animated by negative energy but instead by kazgoroths own power).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4394 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2019 :  15:53:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also noted Robyn is daughter of erianna moonsinger and there is of course the old genna moonsinger. Both the moonsinger are old great druids.

I'm guessing that perhaps a minor character mistake was made and genna should be erianna or vice versa. Instead we have two members of the same family who were both great druids and the daughter of one becomes the next great druid.
This implies some genetic predisposition to being an awesome druid. Also genna I'm guessing would be robyns aunt.

So what makes someone a natural druid and candidate for a great druid of a powerful druidic circle. Robyn seemed to use a number of druidic talents without even being aware of it (thus making them inherent abilities). She could speak with animals, heat metal, control plants.

Inherent abilities implies a magical/genetic inherited transference so that would mean robyns ancestors are descended from someone with similar abilities and an affinity with nature. A leshay or other fey creature would have such abilities and so perhaps I can tie a half Leshay into robyns ancestry somewhere.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4394 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2019 :  20:14:31  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also Aileen seemed curiously important to Laric, possessed of some unknown reserve of strength that he wanted to consume. I'm thinking that Aileen should be related to some well known NPC of the realms, maybe a lost daughter of the queen of Evermeet.

Also the Sword of Cymrych Hugh appears to be vaguely intelligent, it compels Tristan to attack Kazgoroth and directs his blows somewhat. So whoever created the sword imbued some intelligence into the blade (although i much prefer they imbue some part of themselves into an intelligent magic item).

And the Staff of the White Well can call upon a huge lightning storm so its quite powerful. I've never encountered a White Well before in Moonshae Lore, i could tie it to the big well in synnoria but that seems a bit too easy/obvious.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4394 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2019 :  20:22:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And why does Kazgoroth want to destroy Caer Corwell. Is there something beneath it perhaps or something inside it that Kazgoroth wants.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4394 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2019 :  13:36:14  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few random musings to write down before I forget them.

I might make the white well and the darkwell be the same place. The white well was the name of the Moonwell before it was polluted, the darkwell is it's name after Kazgoroth was defeated the first time (I figure in a last ditch attempt to stop the leshay enchanted the Moonwells he hurled himself into it as it was being enchanted, thus corrupting the Moonwell enchantments).

So the staff of the white well is made from some tree that grew out of the Moonwell, perhaps a treant like creature that was going to be the guardian.

Onto Genna Moonsinger and the other Moonsingers. I think I will have them be of leshay descent. My main protagonist collects bloodlines and mixes them trying to create strong individuals to further her own purpose (conflict in the Moonshaes that will lead to the death of high lady ordalf). So this hag used her own bloodline to create the moonsinger family who are all potent druids.

Still not sure about the sword of cymrych hugh. It just being forged to defeat kazgoroth is not interesting enough for such a powerful and important weapon. I feel it should be linked to his actions elsewhere in the Moonshaes but other than the white well I'm not sure what it could be.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page