Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 How do Doppelgangers become Greater versions?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  00:42:06  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I always wondered about this. I was looking at the Greater Doppelganger in "Monsters of Faerun", and wondered exactly how does a normal doppelganger ever become the greater version (which is obviously much more powerful in all ways).

Is it simply a rare occurence when doppelgangers spawn? Or is it some sort of ritual that takes place to become "reborn" as one of these?

I have plenty of ideas how this could come to be, but I was wondering if anyone knew something more official? Or would Ed maybe know? (assuming he is even allowed to answer such a question)

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  01:54:03  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Practice...
Go to Top of Page

Lyiat
Seeker

91 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  02:48:06  Show Profile Send Lyiat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Age, I would presume.

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you." ~ Minsc
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  04:55:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always assumed that greater doppelgangers were a different breed. I don't recall seeing anything saying that the lesser version eventually became the greater version.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  05:27:14  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always thought, like Wooly, that they are an entirely different creature...possibly the end result of an evolutionary branch even.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  08:26:56  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe they are a related race but a distinct one. I wonder if they still refer to themselves as shallar.

They were either created by Steven Schend or Ed for the City of Splendors boxed set.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  08:40:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought greater doppelgangers became an illithid experimental version of doppelgangers as 2nd edition progressed into 3rd edition.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  10:09:37  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, City of Splendors was released five years before 3rd edition. The example of a greater doppelganger given in that book was Hlaavin, who, as it turned out, was half-illithid.

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 14 Nov 2014 10:10:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  11:25:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I recall, Hlaavin's nature as a half-illithid was a 3E thing.

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  12:25:43  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's why I used the vernacular 'as it turned out'. :)

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  12:47:35  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I quite like that Hlaavin was shown to be in former service to illithids and spying on Waterdeep before contact was severed and his nature enabled him to support himself and others as an isolated druuth. It built upon stray bits of lore quite nicely i think.

My own personal feeling is that Hlaavin is not the only type of greater doppelganger (which could really mean a doppelganger that is more than the standard and so in 3E terms any template added could result in a greater doppelganger).

I think there were some hints at greater doppelganger being more related to their batrachi ancestors

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  17:54:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

My own personal feeling is that Hlaavin is not the only type of greater doppelganger (which could really mean a doppelganger that is more than the standard and so in 3E terms any template added could result in a greater doppelganger).

No, it's not a template or anything -- greater doppelgangers have a very specific set of abilities, which exceed those of regular doppelgangers.

I've no objection to adding a template to a doppelganger; I'm just saying that greater doppelgangers are a specific breed, and not one-offs with templates.

Personally, I would figure that sometime after the fall of the Batrachi, someone (and illithids are a good candidate) captured some regular doppelgangers and started experimenting on them, with the eventual result being a greater doppelganger. It's possible that the original greater doppelgangers were some sort of illithid-doppelganger hybrid that bred true.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  18:44:19  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doppelgangers and greater doppelgangers have unique MC entries in 3.5e.

Hlaavin was a special case. I don't recall all my reasons, but I made him different than a normal greater doppelganger by adding the half-illithid template.

I certainly don't think all greater doppelgangers are half-illithids.

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

No, it's not a template or anything -- greater doppelgangers have a very specific set of abilities, which exceed those of regular doppelgangers.

I've no objection to adding a template to a doppelganger; I'm just saying that greater doppelgangers are a specific breed, and not one-offs with templates.

Personally, I would figure that sometime after the fall of the Batrachi, someone (and illithids are a good candidate) captured some regular doppelgangers and started experimenting on them, with the eventual result being a greater doppelganger. It's possible that the original greater doppelgangers were some sort of illithid-doppelganger hybrid that bred true.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  19:07:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Hlaavin was a special case. I don't recall all my reasons, but I made him different than a normal greater doppelganger by adding the half-illithid template.

--Eric

They had unique entries in 2E, as well; that was when Hlaavin and greater doppelgangers were introduced.

Have you any speculations to share on the origin of greater doppelgangers?

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  20:29:05  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

--Eric

They had unique entries in 2E, as well; that was when Hlaavin and greater doppelgangers were introduced.

Have you any speculations to share on the origin of greater doppelgangers?

I thought I put something in Vampires of Waterdeep or DDGttU, but I might be totally misremembering. I'll have to dig.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  21:34:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, good call. Page 46 of Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark:

quote:
Unbeknownst to the Unseen leaders, greater dopplegangers were bred from their lesser kin after decades of experimentation by the Creative Creed of Ch'Chitl.

Though I must note that this doesn't rule out (nor confirm) the idea that greater doppelgangers have some illithid somewhere in their ancestry.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Nov 2014 21:38:38
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2014 :  22:36:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am now trying to wrap my mind around the concept of a race that can turn into anything, be half of anything.

Baby Hlaavin: "Mummy, can I grow-up to be anything I want?"
Mommy Hlaavin: "No dear... but half of you can."

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 14 Nov 2014 22:38:12
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2014 :  11:21:58  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I am now trying to wrap my mind around the concept of a race that can turn into anything, be half of anything.

Baby Hlaavin: "Mummy, can I grow-up to be anything I want?"
Mommy Hlaavin: "No dear... but half of you can."

Thanks for the laugh.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2014 :  18:18:06  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. The idea of greater doppelgangers being illithid experiments.

Except why the "greater" reference? When I think of Greater Doppelganger, it specifically sounds to me like a doppelganger with more doppelganger powers than the others. Other than the brain eating thing, I don't see how illithids would want to create a better version of these that they could not control.

Unless there was an alliance of some sort in the past?

Still...do they breed true or could normal doppelgangers "ascend"? I kinda view them as it is between vampires and vampire lords, with the latter being more powerful and ascended versions of themselves when first created.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2014 :  23:37:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Interesting. The idea of greater doppelgangers being illithid experiments.

Except why the "greater" reference? When I think of Greater Doppelganger, it specifically sounds to me like a doppelganger with more doppelganger powers than the others. Other than the brain eating thing, I don't see how illithids would want to create a better version of these that they could not control.

Unless there was an alliance of some sort in the past?

Still...do they breed true or could normal doppelgangers "ascend"? I kinda view them as it is between vampires and vampire lords, with the latter being more powerful and ascended versions of themselves when first created.

They are greater in that their doppelganger abilities are much stronger -- you can read the mind of a greater doppelganger without realizing it's not the person you think it is, and it will have the original's abilities, as well. A regular doppelganger is essentially someone in a good disguise -- a greater doppelganger practically becomes the original person, and they can have multiple identities that they can switch between.

Given that greater doppelgangers are a separate breed and there is no mention at all of regular doppelgangers becoming greater, I think it safe to assume that the greater ones breed true.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  02:32:49  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shallar? From where did this term originate?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  03:52:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Shallar? From where did this term originate?

I can't recall the source of the original reference at the moment, but I do remember that Ed referred to them as such in the "Quelzard, Patron of Adventurers" article for the Forging the Forgotten Realms series on the Wizards website.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2014 :  04:32:06  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anybody got a current linky for Quelzard? Wtf did Wizzy do to their website?! What a friggin abortion.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 09 Dec 2014 04:36:11
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2014 :  20:41:19  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah for some reason a lot of their links are broken. If it isn't their terrible game editing and marketing, their website management is just as bad.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2014 :  21:09:18  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't even access the old archives anymore. And the wayback machine doesn't like the site due to its robots.txt file now. Sigh.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000