Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Dalelands campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rastr
Acolyte

Brazil
2 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2014 :  20:31:55  Show Profile Send Rastr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I am starting a game with 4 players that know little to nothing about the Realms, they all played custom world D&D or never played RPGs at all.

Myself, I've been reading, dming and playing in the realms for a while, but i'm no expert also.

The campaign will be starting somewhere near the Shadowdale, the characters (all 1st-level, and got no names yet):

- Male Dwarf Barbarian, LG, 55 years old, a tribal warrior from the dagger hills, bear totem warrior to be.
- Male Gnome Wizard, CG, 45 years old, when his nomadic group went to the dalelands, he fell in love with the beauty and the magic of Cormanthor and abandoned them, to a lone life in the woods, always trying to see and learn new things
- Male Half-elf Druid, NG, 25 years old, He didnt feel part of the human nor the elven kind of societies, so he went to live in the woods still young, and became greatly bonded to all animal beings.
- Female Moon Elf, NG, 112 years old, she lives as an elven diplomat in Shadowdale, always caring about the good, but often fragile relation between men and her people.

I thought of sending them to look for something in Cormanthor and find themselves involved in a big Zhentarim and Drow plan for enslaving all the Dales, beginning with Shadowdale. I didnt think of the details of it, as i feel something is still missing in this plot.

Elminster (long time not seen in his home) and other powerful NPCs will not participate.

I'd like some advice on polishing the plot, thank you in advance!

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2014 :  20:44:33  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's some great material in the second of the 3.5E Tearing of the Weave Trilogy - Shadowdale: Scouring of the Land (is that title correct) - that should allow you to sandbox Shadowdale nicely. The maps are still online and the two of Shadowdale are really high-res unlike a lot of the other thumbnails that WotC posted. So, maybe drop the Tearing of the Weave plot and just run the drow and Zhentarim elements and then use some of the other locations as part of a sandbox.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Rastr
Acolyte

Brazil
2 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2014 :  22:02:31  Show Profile Send Rastr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

There's some great material in the second of the 3.5E Tearing of the Weave Trilogy - Shadowdale: Scouring of the Land (is that title correct) - that should allow you to sandbox Shadowdale nicely. The maps are still online and the two of Shadowdale are really high-res unlike a lot of the other thumbnails that WotC posted. So, maybe drop the Tearing of the Weave plot and just run the drow and Zhentarim elements and then use some of the other locations as part of a sandbox.

Thanks! great reading!

So I'll be twisting things:
The PCs will leave Shadowdale for a rescue mission, the ones who live in the forest already know each other, they see some goblinoids taking human farmers(or look like so) captive, but they entered elven territory, where they never dared to go (and neither goblins). So they went for Shadowdale Village to get help (the other PCs). This is where the adventure starts. When they succeed, the poor farmers happen to be Zhent assassins and they murder. Maybe i make it the second mission so i can give the players a chance to know and interact with the NPCs of the village before i unleash the assassins and kill some, imprison some, things like that. But the Zhent army strike will not come right away. The PCs, depending on how things go, can be accused of participation in the plot since they are new or dont even live in Shadowdale.

More advices on things i can present to them, so they will feel more in the setting?
Maybe some ideas on early villains?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000