Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 City of Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dungeondude
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  06:36:08  Show Profile Send dungeondude a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am looking to run a new 5th Edition campaign in Waterdeep for two people.

Intrigue with the nobles, lords, that type of thing.

I looked at WIKI REALMS, and saw this,

"After the Spellplague it lost its title of Faerûn's most important and influential city to Baldur's Gate. Baldur's Gate grew not only larger than Waterdeep in population but also doubled its area."

Can anyone provide me with a little information or direction on the current state of Waterdeep? I have Volos Guide for a old reference, as well as the 3.5 Waterdeep splat book...

Thanks!

Dungeon Dude

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2014 :  15:44:02  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4e basically laced the Realms with simtex and detonated it. If you don't already have and love the 4e Campaign Guide, and have a thorough understanding of how it changed things, then I suggest basing your portrayal of Waterdeep on the 2e and 3e sources that you have.

The 5e setting will probably try to incorporate some of the 4e changes to maintain some continuity, and more changes will probably be made in the Tyranny of Dragons storyline. However, we don't have access to all of that yet, even from Ed Greenwood, due to NDAs.

So I would just run your campaign using whatever resources you have access to now, and by the time the 5e setting book is available (it's a minimum of 6 months away, and probably closer to a year) you'll be ready to start a new campaign.

Have fun!
Go to Top of Page

dungeondude
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  05:50:10  Show Profile Send dungeondude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks X!

I think I'll take that advice... I'm just getting back into gaming after an absence, and I'm not REALLY liking all of the 4th Edition changes. I'll do my own thing using 3e, and go from there! Again, my thanks!

Dungeon Dude
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  05:59:50  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By way of counterpoint: the changes to Waterdeep in 4E are due in large part to the passage of time, not to the crazy that comprised the changes to the wider Realms. With all due respect to Xaeyruudh, you don't need the 4E campaign guide and a wide understanding of the 4E Realms to utilize Waterdeep in the post-Spellplague Realms.

There are some pretty smart ideas about Waterdeep in the 1400s and a lot of them have been generated by Ed Greenwood. He wrote a Waterdeep Bible that was used by the authors of the "Ed Greenwood Presents: Waterdeep" series of novels, and Waterdeep has seen thoughtful development in various of the "Eye on the Realms" articles in Dragon and Dungeon magazines (online versions).

If you're tired of the same old same old when it comes to Waterdeep, there are a ton of good ideas via the 4E Realms to spruce it up and make it like new again.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  06:55:19  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fair enough. I still have a long way to walk down the road leading toward neutrality about the 4e changes. I hadn't even considered that Waterdeep might be excluded from the Spellplague... that suggests other questions but I suppose they don't need to be asked.

Except this: how do you get tired of Waterdeep? Where is this same old same old?
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  08:19:22  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Waterdeep did experience the Spellplague--the Walking Statues went for an uncontrolled stroll after all--but after that things more or less settled down.

And for the record I have not read all of the Waterdeep novels set in the post-Spellplague Realms either, but I feel pretty comfortable talking about Waterdeep because the novels, articles and sourcebook material I've read (in the FRCG and Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminster's Forgotten Realms) make it pretty clear that Waterdeep is still Waterdeep.

That body of Realmslore deserves a fair shake.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 09 Sep 2014 09:08:52
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2014 :  08:46:32  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So...information about Waterdeep in the 1400s.

Off the top of my head:

Some noble families have gone into debt and as a result have had to sell off their titles (around 1452 DR), with the new holders of these titles not terribly welcome by the elder families that managed to hold onto theirs. By 1480 DR noble titles were offered publicly for sale.

Wildblade nobles of Waterdeep busy themselves breaking rules and looking down on others, because they believe their rank allows them to. The very worst are exiled and are the scourge of lands up and down the Sword Coast and further inland, killing and stealing as they go.

The agreement known as the Hand of the Open Road applies up and down the Sword Coast on all its trade roads, and so Waterdeep's outriders and lawkeepers are expected to render aid to merchants and to not show favoritism or give them trouble.

There's also Mistshore and Downshadow, two new wards (or not quite wards, depending on who you ask).

Not a lot there, but it's a start.

I highly recommend "Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminster's Forgotten Realms" because it has a lot of information about Waterdeep spread throughout its many pages.

Go to Top of Page

dungeondude
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  04:17:22  Show Profile Send dungeondude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh.... thanks Jeremy!

I'm intrigued by the thought of "natural aging, just touch of spellplague." If that makes sense. I JUST picked-up the Ed Greenwood book, it rocks!

All of those Waterdeep books, "ED GREENWOOD PRESENTS", are they set after the spellplague? I'm looking at them on Amazon, trying to figure out what to buy first!

Can't thank you each enough for the feedback! Sweet!

Dungeon Dude
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2014 :  04:31:18  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dungeondude

I'm intrigued by the thought of "natural aging, just touch of spellplague." If that makes sense. I JUST picked-up the Ed Greenwood book, it rocks!
Glad you like it. It's one of those books that you have to read and then re-read because it's full of information.

quote:
Originally posted by dungeondude

All of those Waterdeep books, "ED GREENWOOD PRESENTS", are they set after the spellplague? I'm looking at them on Amazon, trying to figure out what to buy first!
All six books are set after the Spellplague, to my knowledge. You may have already seen this but the books are in an omnibus format, with three novels comprising a "Book I" and the remainder in "Book II".

I am not sure how many of the novels cover the in-between period (about 100 years).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 10 Sep 2014 04:32:26
Go to Top of Page

dungeondude
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  03:18:37  Show Profile Send dungeondude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just an update, reading the Waterdeep novels, love them! TONS of great information! SWEET!

Dungeon Dude
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  04:37:54  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to here it.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2014 :  19:53:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hiya. I echo Jeremy's great summary. I know one or two "major" things coming for Waterdeep, but for down-at-street-level stuff: what you can glean from 2e and 3e sources, the CITY OF SPLENDORS novel Ed and Elaine co-wrote, and Ed's columns, plus Elminster's Realms and the Eddie Presents 6 novels is just fine to run with. The line about Baldur's Gate refers to Baldur's Gate expanding wildly, NOT a decline or essential change in Waterdeep. (Ed confirms this.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Lirdolin
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2014 :  20:50:28  Show Profile  Visit Lirdolin's Homepage Send Lirdolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe this is of intrest? (Shameless self-promotion)

Topic in Sages of Realmslore -Forum titled:

FR Reference: Waterdeep 1479DR (Spoilers)

Although it's not the newest thread it collects many infos on Waterdeep in 1479 DR.
Maybe I should restart that topic so I can edit it myself this time ^^
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000