Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 News on 5e campaign setting?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2015 :  17:00:56  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Can't say I'm disappointed in the Adventurers Handbook disappearing. Those have always been my least favorite (or purchased) types of books.

I'm not pleased to see it go. Not because of the crunch, but because -at least according to the description that was posted on the site that leaked it- it was supposed to contain a whole section dedicated to updated FR lore.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2015 :  17:57:12  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that I didn't know. Would have bought it if that was the case. :(

But to elaborate on things, from Paizo's website their adventure path books are $22.99 and by signing up for the monthly subscription (recurring revenue IS the way to go) you get 30% off the "96-page, perfect-bound, full-color softcover book printed on high-quality paper", which would bring your total to $16.09 plus shipping. You also get a free PDF copy of the book. This only works on products for your subscription, not anything released in the past, but you DO get 15% off other purchases on the site.

That's an insanely good deal. And it's not quite the kick in the arse like dropping $49.99 in one shot. Most folks won't blink an eye when spending 20 bucks, 50 is going to make them pause and think. Thinking can be a sales killer. And here's the funny thing, with a 6 part adventure path, they're making $96.54 for all six books from subscribers and $137.94 from non-subscribers who purchase. That's twice to almost 3 times what WotC will earn from one adventure path. It really is a sexy model.

I don't understand why WotC isn't offering the same. When it comes to competitive advantage, you shamelessly steal the best practices of your rival companies to strengthen your own.

And just to give WotC the benefit of the doubt, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the budget required to fire such a thing up is flatly being denied to them by Hasbro.

Edited by - Eilserus on 22 Jan 2015 18:36:55
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2015 :  19:56:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I wont miss what I wasn't going to buy.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2015 :  22:17:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

On the question of the slow release schedule for the Realms (and for D&D in general), ENWorld posted a quote from Mike Mearls that is apropos the topic: "For instance, we now know that the high volume release schedule for 3e and 4e turned out to be bad for D&D. It wasn't too many settings that hurt TSR, but too many D&D books of any kind. lots of experiments ahead..."

So it's experiments going forward. I wonder what that means for the Realms?

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?408983-UPDATED-Has-ADVENTURER-S-HANDBOOK-Been-Cancelled#ixzz3PWGEnfwT

To paraphrase what I said in another thread...

During the 3E and 4E era, in addition to the FR material, we had 8,001 "Races of " books, and class books, and did things like take what was formerly one book and split into 2 or 3 (like with the dragon stuff, or even the core rulebooks).

So the reference to publishing too much may not have had anything to do with setting material -- especially since the quoted blurb did refer to "support for the RPG."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2015 :  23:13:20  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

During the 3E and 4E era, in addition to the FR material, we had 8,001 "Races of " books, and class books, and did things like take what was formerly one book and split into 2 or 3 (like with the dragon stuff, or even the core rulebooks).

So the reference to publishing too much may not have had anything to do with setting material -- especially since the quoted blurb did refer to "support for the RPG."

IIRC, didn't it come out that books like the Silver Marches really underperformed financially?

Many people here, I'm sure, would consider that regional sourcebook one of the best produced in terms of Realms lore.

Yet if it didn't do well financially, what's WotC to conclude?

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2015 :  23:49:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

IIRC, didn't it come out that books like the Silver Marches really underperformed financially?

Many people here, I'm sure, would consider that regional sourcebook one of the best produced in terms of Realms lore.

Yet if it didn't do well financially, what's WotC to conclude?

I'm not sure what they concluded, especially since we had a lot of setting sourcebooks -- some of which were regional -- after that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2015 :  00:04:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With a trend in falling hardback sales as people moved a digital formats it would be foolish to draw the conclusion they have, especially when they outright refused to move to digital format for many years.

Bookshops were falling in there droves in that decade along with local hobby stores (the only place dnd books were sold) as the computer became a more mainstream form of entertainment. Had they not been so backward then it might be a different story.

I have in the last few years begun replacing my realms catalogue with digital copies. I wonder if they looked at the figures again including sales from dndclassics would it still be a failure.

And dont forget the ton of core rulebooks that were of questionable worth and quality. I never bought those and why would you group together rulebooks with setting material, but I bet they have. Just going by the numbers of fans on this site either they massively over estimated their customer base or like everything they do lately their analysis is flawed

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page