Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Six-Shooter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  19:04:31  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What I'd like to see is an RPG set in the ol' wild west, with a fantasy flair. Elves, dwarves, magic. I want to shoot somebody. Is there anything out there remotely close?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  19:15:03  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always been curious if there are any war stories from the Realms that involved some adventurer rolling around with an anti-matter rifle or some other sort of high tech device.

With the way that electricity works in the Realms, and provided there are UFOs, you'd think there would be the occasional crash. I'd assume any drivers of such craft would know this planet is to be avoided due to the electrical issues that happen though. Also leads a person to wonder if any future tech gear would even function there.

Not sure on wild west type settings myself. There are several other continents on Toril that would work for a homebrew version though.

Edited by - Eilserus on 17 Aug 2014 19:17:50
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  19:35:58  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gunslinger from the house of Eld. I carry hard calibers. Kinda like that

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 17 Aug 2014 19:38:05
Go to Top of Page

nblanton
Seeker

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  21:35:22  Show Profile Send nblanton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you want to play Boot Hill. Google it. Old TSR game.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  21:39:22  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Murlynd, the hero deity of technology from Greyhawk is fond of his six-shooters (and the rest of his cowboy attire) which he aquired by visiting Earth during the wild west period
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  23:08:54  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

What I'd like to see is an RPG set in the ol' wild west, with a fantasy flair. Elves, dwarves, magic. I want to shoot somebody. Is there anything out there remotely close?

There is the masque of the red death setting, which kind of fits, but not really. It is at least D&D though. Then there's deadlands.

Deadlands

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlands

Never played it, but it sounds like it fits the cup of tea, kinda.

The canonical, basic setting is referred to as the "Weird West" due to the juxtaposition of the Western setting with the horrific and fantastical elements of the game. The history of the Weird West is identical to real-world history, up until July 3, 1863. On this date in the fictional universe, a group of American Indians from various tribes, led by a Sioux shaman known as "Raven," performed a ritual in an effort to drive out the European settlers. This ritual created a conduit to a spiritual realm populated by powerful malicious entities known as the "Reckoners." The events surrounding and immediately subsequent to Raven's ritual is known as "The Reckoning."

The Reckoners feed on negative emotions, particularly fear. Sufficient levels of fear in the population of a given location allow the Reckoners to begin subtly altering the environment of that location: the sun shines a little less brightly, trees become stunted and "evil" looking, rock formations take on the appearance of corpses or monsters, and so on. The more powerful the fear, the greater the environmental changes.

The ultimate goal of the Reckoners is to turn the entire Earth into an evil, haunted wasteland — literally a Hell on Earth. However, the Reckoners cannot directly enter Earth's realm unless the overall fear level of the entire planet becomes sufficiently high. To this end, they use their powers to create monsters, madmen, zombies, and other creatures and villains that will sow fear and terror throughout the land.

The first instance of this occurred on July 4, 1863, at the site of the Battle of Gettysburg that had just ended; dead soldiers from both sides of the conflict rose from the battlefield and began indiscriminately attacking the surviving soldiers and civilians. Since then, undead gunslingers, hostile Indian spirits, strange cults, and deadly creatures have begun terrorizing the world. The American Civil War drags on thanks to the machinations of the Reckoners, and the country remains divided into U.S. and Confederate sections along with "disputed territories." Federal agents and Texas Rangers struggle to deal with the eldritch menaces while hiding the awful truth from the general public. Seismic upheavals have pushed much of California into the ocean, creating a badlands area known as "the Great Maze." In the Great Maze, miners discover "ghost rock," a mineral that burns hotter and longer than coal and is used as the basis for most Deadlands technology as well as alchemical potions and semi-magical materials.

The unleashing of the Reckoners has had a number of important side effects. Magic was revealed to be real, although it involves challenging otherworldly spirits, "manitous", in contests that are either viewed as a negotiation or a test of will. These same manitous can possess a recently deceased body and reanimate it, creating a "Harrowed". Harrowed beings are sometimes under the control of the spirit (which uses the opportunity to spread fear) and sometimes under the control of the deceased being. Scientific progress rapidly advances as the Reckoners support experimental designs that normally would not work. This progress drives the technological level of Deadlands from historical levels to a "steampunk" setting.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  01:26:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not the Wild West, but I'm playing a Pathfinder game set in the Iron Kingdoms, right now. They don't have six-shooters, but they do have pistols and rifles -- and elves and dwarves and magic and steam-powered robots with magical brains.

My character is a gun mage, which means he's a sorcerer that focuses on using a pistol and can do fun things like use the pistol to deliver touch attacks and rays -- like a few sessions ago, when I shot a hydra from 20 feet away with a shocking grasp spell (got a critical on that one, too!).

I've not had a chance to use it yet, but I'm looking forward to the first time I get to shoot something using vampiric touch. I just souped up my magelock pistol, so I've got better range on it now (added the Distance property) and I can shoot more effectively at longer ranges now, too (took the Far Shot feat).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Aug 2014 01:29:03
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  01:42:25  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds cool, Wooly. I'll look into those others. Thanks, Scribes.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  03:13:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed was the first person to provide rules for gunpowder weapons in D&D in a two-part article in a Dragon magazine in the #70s issues IIRC.

They actually drew some flak from EGG himself as I recall which Ed dealt with deftfully.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  03:27:20  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Suckah what. Clap that ass

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  04:51:57  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

**** the pixie s***. Vampires, robots, demons, mutants and wizards is where its at with the old west RPGs. Or, if the Dark Tower isn't your favorite setting, embrace the idea of a wild frontier and utilize the dragonborn, genasi and whatever other 4E races are typically disliked. Rewrite them to fit your preferences, of course.

Mod Edit: Please watch the language. We've younglings who visit these boards.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Aug 2014 05:14:57
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  08:24:04  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do what must be done, Lord Vader. I will shoot every single dragonborn in the face

Edit: and their mama's too

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 18 Aug 2014 08:32:38
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  12:54:17  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

I've always been curious if there are any war stories from the Realms that involved some adventurer rolling around with an anti-matter rifle or some other sort of high tech device.

I'm envisioning a low camera angle looking up on a dark, dusty character trekking solo across a barren landscape, his boots crunching in the dirt and rocks, a tumbleweed rolling by. The wind kicks up a panel on his leather duster, and he sends a wad of spittle off to the side. Amidst the familiar tunes of "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly", we can also hear the telltale clinks of metal hardware beneath his animal hide clothing.

The music rises to a crescendo, and then suddenly goes silent.

The mysterious figure's hands dive into the front of his body, parting both sides of his long coat, and retrieve two shining mini-hand-cannons. The cannons are splayed out wide, as our view rises up to the shadow beneath his wide-brimmed hat, and then continues even further up, up, up, so that we are now looking down on this unusual individual.

Once again, a whisp of breeze blows, this time pushing the large hat off of the visitor's head, revealing the face of...

A tinker gnome cowboy!

<"Yee HAW!"> indeed, my friends.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000