Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Size of Menzoberranzan
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  16:45:05  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was casually reading about stuff on FR Wiki when I came across Menzobberanzan, and there is a map added to that articles wich presnts the city at a rouch size of 4000ft x 3200 ft. Now to me this seems like a very small city. Especially considering that the population (3.0 - 3.5) was between 60.000 and 30.000. This actually give 5 - 10 times as many people per square kilometer as New York... can these number be correct. Im personally guessing the map is wrong. Can anyone share some light on this?

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  17:02:09  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Baenre compound is a quarter of a mile long. The cavern itself is about 2 miles long at it's widest.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  17:19:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most FR cities don't have accurate map keys, so we don't know their true dimensions.

That said, I would certainly expect a higher population density in an Underdark city, especially one with a lot of residents that can levitate.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  18:02:56  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What Wooley said, and keep in mind that the Underdark HAS to build in three dimensions. Even though surface cities technically do so as well, they have far more room in which to grow 'out' (urban sprawl) than regions of the Underdark have.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  18:28:32  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
in 1372, the population is listed as 32,000. Approximately 1/3rd are drow.

It's implied, but not specifically covered in various novels and sourcebooks that the slave pens and slums (the warrens?) are extremely dense with poor drow and non drow humaniods. The Kobold warrens are packed unbelievably tight.

Look at the population density of Singapore.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  19:00:35  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True, the Clawrift tunnels supposedly held 60k of the little rats.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  21:44:16  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Menzo was said to be two miles wide and a thousand feet high, the first time it was described in Homeland (Prelude).

It is also said to not be a particularly large city by drow standards (Homeland, Pre.).

The House Baenre compound is said to be 3/8 of a mile wide, and 1/4 mile north-south (Menzoberranzan [Boxed Set], Starless Night).

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  22:38:57  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Menzo was said to be two miles wide and a thousand feet high, the first time it was described in Homeland (Prelude).

It is also said to not be a particularly large city by drow standards (Homeland, Pre.).

The House Baenre compound is said to be 3/8 of a mile wide, and 1/4 mile north-south (Menzoberranzan [Boxed Set], Starless Night).

+1
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000