Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Is redemption possible for a fallen Angel?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  00:22:52  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
When I say fallen, I'm talking about an Angel that fell far enough to be corrupted into a fiend. For example someone like Malkizid. Is there a precedence for this in the Realms?

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  00:27:08  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All can be redeemed, atonement though might be difficult.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  01:00:04  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say in Malkizid's case, there is no possibility of redemption.

Necessary for redemption is contrition, which would never happen. Also, I've seen no evidence that Corellon is overly forgiving. On the contrary.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  01:01:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If an angel can fall, or if a fiend can be redeemed -- both of which have been seen in either FR or Planescape canon -- than I don't see why an entity that went to the other side couldn't return. If the journey can be made in one direction by something that started with the opposite alignment, it should be just as possible -- if not easier -- for someone to return to their original alignment.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  01:49:37  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never forget the Succubus Paladin, which is canon.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  04:02:30  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given the existence of Felthis Ap Jerran (a risen ultroloth), yes indeed it's possible, if an event bordering on legendary/unique.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  04:55:52  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

If an angel can fall, or if a fiend can be redeemed -- both of which have been seen in either FR or Planescape canon -- than I don't see why an entity that went to the other side couldn't return. If the journey can be made in one direction by something that started with the opposite alignment, it should be just as possible -- if not easier -- for someone to return to their original alignment.

Only thing is, that Malkazid was one of those who were cast out. It was not his choice to become a devil - that was Corellon's doing, just like Lolth. I'm not saying it is impossible, but the devil would have to somehow get a major god to change his mind and embrace him...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  05:41:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Only thing is, that Malkazid was one of those who were cast out. It was not his choice to become a devil - that was Corellon's doing, just like Lolth. I'm not saying it is impossible, but the devil would have to somehow get a major god to change his mind and embrace him...

Ah, but he had already fallen -- just because he didn't have the job title, it doesn't change what his nature had become.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  08:53:38  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Umm, are you asking this as a DM or player? If the latter, it's up to your DM. If the former, it's up to you. Pretty sure you don't need a precedent if it enhances your game and enjoyment of it.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  15:18:34  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The answer is yes. Like GK says you really don't need a precedent if it enhances your game.

Regarding Malkizid. While I doubt he will ever repent his evil, just because Corellon won't take him back (and I agree he likely wouldn't) doesn't mean Malkizid couldn't find his way back into 'the light.'

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  18:52:17  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would argue that, like the fallen angels of Catholicism, his primary sin leading him toward evil is pride and presumption. That is his nature. He could no more stop believing himself more deserving than all else than he could stop being branded. This is why I say he has no hope for redemption.

In general this is the case for fallen angels. Could they repent and be accepted again, perhaps.. Would they? No.

Only story I've ever heard about fallen angels finding a way back was Kevin Smith's DOGMA. Hilarious fkin movie :)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  20:44:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I would argue that, like the fallen angels of Catholicism, his primary sin leading him toward evil is pride and presumption. That is his nature. He could no more stop believing himself more deserving than all else than he could stop being branded. This is why I say he has no hope for redemption.

In general this is the case for fallen angels. Could they repent and be accepted again, perhaps.. Would they? No.

Only story I've ever heard about fallen angels finding a way back was Kevin Smith's DOGMA. Hilarious fkin movie :)

Huge fan of Dogma.

Of course, Bartleby and Loki weren't really after redemption... They just wanted to go home.

The question at hand is whether or not redemption is, in general, possible. The likelihood of it, and/or whether or not it would be sought, are separate issues.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 Aug 2014 20:45:38
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  22:54:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For us, Good and Evil can be complex, somewhat subjective, sometimes controversial extremes which possibly encompass a lot of moral grey areas and blurry boundaries. Sure, we all generally know something is Good or that its Evil, but our culture embraces morally ambiguous villains, dark heroes, and all sorts of things in between. Is an illithid evil because it has to suck the brains of sentients to survive? If so, can it continue to survive while seeking atonement and redemption? Is a fervent follower of an evil deity also evil? Even if this follower was taught to expect a happy afterlife after serving the one and only god who isnt false?

In D&D and the Realms, however, Good vs Evil is much more easily defined. For starters, every thinking being has an alignment which defines what it is. All the gods and goddesses and primordials and immortals and whatnot also have a fixed alignment, and often grant their priests and paladins the ability sense misaligned souls. The stuff of Good and Evil and Law and Chaos is the very essence of the Outer Planes, and it (along with the elemental stuff of the Inner Planes) serves as the fundamental building block of all worlds - including the Realms and all other D&D worlds.

Some D&D sources state that even nasty old Asmodeus can be redeemed, at least in theory, should he serious choose to better his ways. Other D&D sources state that it is categorically impossible for any fiend to ever remove the taint of evil from which they were spawned. Yet other D&D sources have examples of fallen angels and redeemed devils and whatnot.

Simple morality allows a paladin to righteously smite any and every being which is proclaimed evil, no hesitation, no reflection, no mercy, no excuses. Complex morality could argue that such a paladin is a murderer. FR fiction sometimes explores the more sophisticated and muddy version, although adventures tend to be written in the more simplistic tone. I would simply adopt whichever style makes for the most entertaining gameplay.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000