Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 R.I.P Robin Williams.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  08:20:55  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Never thought I'd see the day.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/robin-williams-63-dies-in-suspected-suicide-1.1894488

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  09:28:31  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't know he was a forgotten realms character either ;)
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  11:57:25  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is really sad news. RIP.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  12:56:43  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't you seen Bicentinniel Man? He was one of Wooley's Warforged.

But truyly a great comedian and actor. I hate that he's gone.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrel
Learned Scribe

151 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  13:42:33  Show Profile  Visit Kyrel's Homepage Send Kyrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ya. A very sad piece of news to wake up to May he rest in peace and be long remembered for his talent.

Edited by - Kyrel on 12 Aug 2014 13:44:05
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  15:24:07  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad news indeed. Just feels so wrong. :( Mr. Williams was a great actor, I grew up watching his movies. I feel so bad for his kids, hopefully they won't be totally screwed up by this.

I was in a psych class a few years ago and took a suicide prevention workshop for extra credit. I remember being told to just blast it out there to someone you think is in trouble and flat out ask them: Are you thinking about killing yourself? The goal being to get them talking and let them know there is help. And that suicide is a long term solution to short term problems.

And if you know or suspect someone who is in trouble, talk to them.

I'm a firm believer in vitamins as B12 is a natural anti depressant.

*steps off soapbox*

Edited by - Eilserus on 12 Aug 2014 15:35:27
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  16:01:50  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

I'm a firm believer in vitamins as B12 is a natural anti depressant.

It sounds hokey, I know, but I agree. I started taking a bunch of different vitamins years back, including that one, as part of a comprehensive, holistic self-improvement effort. Along with all the other stuff, it definitely helped bring me out of a very dark place in my life.

My little brother and I cried a little last night, upon hearing this sad news. Robin Williams was real life comic relief.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  16:48:25  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, I take a men's one a day and a super b complex in the morning myself. Keeps me going all day and not wearing out by early evening.

And just a note, I am by no means against taking anti depressant meds. Everyone's needs are different. I just think a good vitamin supplement can help people tremendously.

Edited by - Eilserus on 12 Aug 2014 16:51:57
Go to Top of Page

mhamza
Seeker

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  17:07:35  Show Profile Send mhamza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not only a great comedian but also a great dramatic actor (One Hour Photo), may he rest in peace.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  17:26:30  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

He was a player for the Worldwide Dungeons & Dragons Game Day in 2006. It's not all about the DM's ya know.

I am just trying to make it easier on the admins by justifying this.

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  18:09:07  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasymachus

quote:
Originally posted by _Jarlaxle_

He was a player for the Worldwide Dungeons & Dragons Game Day in 2006. It's not all about the DM's ya know.

I am just trying to make it easier on the admins by justifying this.

And who hasn't based a character/NPC off of a Disney character. It is hard to DM a Djinn without imbuing it with a little Robin Willima's Genie.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  20:19:16  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just blame canada
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  20:52:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually going to let this one slide, this time, for two reasons...

One is that he was a fellow gamer who brought laughter to millions. We've all seen him on TV or the big screen, but I've also heard that he was an avid Warhammer 40k player, and would provide voices for his Ork army while playing. I should have loved to have seen that, myself....

The other reason is that it's a stark reminder of how serious an impact depression can have on a person. An international star of TV and movies, married and with kids, and a career built on making others laugh... Indeed, he enjoyed a level of success many of us can only envy, and yet he still felt compelled to take his own life.

So that makes this a good opportunity to share the link for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. I would further encourage everyone to share that link via social media. And if you're not in the US, please find and share links or numbers for local suicide prevention services.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Aug 2014 20:53:01
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  22:55:46  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well done Wooly!

There are a few celebrities whose deaths will have real meaning to so many people that admire them while too many stars will be memorialized for that last bit of money with so little impact after they die. Robin William's death made me cry, and he will be missed and remembered.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  23:02:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if, in the Realms, people would suicide shortly after the death of those they love to join them in the Fugue? If the death of a great King, spiritual primarch, or beloved comedian might trigger a wave of self-killings? If pragmatic and powerful individuals/groups might deliberately send (dead, then resurrected) spies, interrogators, or provoceurs to follow deceased targets?

Sorry to derail this scroll. Loved Robin Williams, and he seems like the last person in the world who would take a life, let alone his own. Note that the linky does say his suicide is suspected, not confirmed.

I dont condone trips to the fugue (from our world), either. First, it likely doesnt exist, at least in anything like the form described in Realmslore. Second, for the most part, we lack access to functioning resurrection magics.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000