Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Tragic figures of the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  00:38:20  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is it me or is there somewhat of a shortage of true tragic figures in the realms?

Karsus might be the first name of your tongue, but in my opinion his lack of Wisdom did him in. It's hard for me to feel sorry for the guy, especially since he wasn't known as a particularly heroic type. I do understand that "heroism" can be perceived subjectively.

Cadderly,

Warning possible Ghost King Spoilers

Devoted chosen of Denier, seems like a good candidate. The guy practically gives his life serving his god. He's rewarded with a restoration of his youth, but then he gets to spend the rest of eternity battling the ghost King? I don't know what he's thinking but I doubt he signed up for that!

Warning possible "Haunted Lands" Spoilers

Bareris This poor guy...his soulmate gets turned into an undead thing and later gets decapitated. He then gets turned into an undead revenant and spends the next 90 years trying to get at the one responsible for her death- Szass Tam.

So he finally is able to get close enough attempt a kill while Tam is completely vulnerable.
Instead he forgoes revenge in order to help save the realms by teaming up with Tam and company. When he finally gets his crack, he gets taken out with a whimper, while Tam endures.. :(

Comments or examples of other tragic character would be welcomed.

Edited by - jordanz on 31 Jul 2014 00:39:43

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  04:32:52  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nojheim the goodly goblin, from "Dark Mirror". He was taken prisoner by thugs and enslaved, and then Drizzt met him and drug him out of slavery. But Nojheim was fatalistic about the whole matter, saying that freeing him would not really change things, and that it would be best for these thugs to give them their little bit of smug satisfaction. Drizzt waffles on what to do about it, but the ending is horrifically settled without him having any further say in the issue.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  17:31:23  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never would have thought of him without Beast's post, but I'd nominate Sheemzher from the book Nether Scroll. At first he seems admirable, but we learn that by giving him intelligence he became a pariah to his own kind. We learn his story began with the death of those he loves and it ends with the death of all the others. Pitiable is the only word to describe him.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  14:18:08  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shandril Shessair. Hunted her entire life by bad guys trying to harness a power that she didn't ask for. Commits suicide when she mistakenly thinks she's killed her husband.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 02 Aug 2014 14:18:28
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  14:44:04  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Shandril Shessair. Hunted her entire life by bad guys trying to harness a power that she didn't ask for. Commits suicide when she mistakenly thinks she's killed her husband.

good one :)
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  12:32:20  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halisstra Melarn, tried to redeem herself but failed. Lost her lover and her whole family and was tortured and cruelly used by a goddess she personally despised.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  15:33:10  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Halisstra Melarn, tried to redeem herself but failed. Lost her lover and her whole family and was tortured and cruelly used by a goddess she personally despised.

She whined too much to be tragic. :P
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  17:27:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

quote:

I thought she was too indecisive... She waffled back and forth in her allegiances way too readily.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  21:17:58  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jander Sunstar.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  22:27:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Jander Sunstar.

Ah, a very good call! Certainly one of the most tragic characters of the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  23:09:35  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Jander Sunstar.

Ah, a very good call! Certainly one of the most tragic characters of the Realms.

Yeah - totally forgot him. My favorite vamp character ever.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  23:55:36  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Jander Sunstar.

Mine too!

Edited by - Arcanus on 04 Aug 2014 23:56:28
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  02:11:22  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't remember the exact books, but they were a triology. The main premise was a guy who was such a wonderful architect and wasen't magical at all, to the point he was almost atheist, the book had things like naga and wonderful unsual monsters in it.

Anways the tragic character was this guys friend, who was less successful but knew how to mooch and take the credit, got mild successful but not spine. He got married to a woman who didn't want him to start with and was just bored. And he eventually lost her to an older gentelman who outright walked up to him and told him to scram he was claiming her now. He eventually was turned intoa ghoul, it was a depressing thing to read and see unfold.
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  03:28:09  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

I don't remember the exact books, but they were a triology. The main premise was a guy who was such a wonderful architect and wasen't magical at all, to the point he was almost atheist, the book had things like naga and wonderful unsual monsters in it.

Anways the tragic character was this guys friend, who was less successful but knew how to mooch and take the credit, got mild successful but not spine. He got married to a woman who didn't want him to start with and was just bored. And he eventually lost her to an older gentelman who outright walked up to him and told him to scram he was claiming her now. He eventually was turned intoa ghoul, it was a depressing thing to read and see unfold.

Huh. That sounds like the plot of The Fountainhead in fantasy drag.

And Googling for "Forgotten Realms" "Fountainhead", hah -- the Watercourse Trilogy. Whisper of Waves, Lies of Light, and Scream of Stone.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  04:25:11  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
who would have thought, FR supports transgenre
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  06:20:57  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Jander Sunstar.

What became of him?

Edited by - jordanz on 05 Aug 2014 06:21:46
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  10:59:10  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Co-opted by Ravenloft. REAL shame. Someone should write the story of how he escapes :)
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  13:40:10  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I never said that she was likable. Frankly I Never cared much for her myself but she was certainly a tragic and pathetic figure.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  15:27:12  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaith Craulnober

An elf who does what is expected of him and does it better than anyone.

Was an elf expected to be great. Excelled at everything. Questioned nothing. Simply did as was expected.

Then his moonblade judged him dishonorable. It shocked him and he went into exile. Somehow, the moonblade had sensed some flaw in his honor he had yet to figure out.

Then he became a notorious crimelord. He figured he was expected to be dishonorable, so he did it better than anyone :)

God I love his character. It is simply a huge shame we never got resolution. I would buy without a seconds hesitation hardcovers of Reclamation and the serpent's daughter.

Why oh Why WOTC did you not put them out.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  23:25:47  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

Elaith Craulnober

An elf who does what is expected of him and does it better than anyone.

Was an elf expected to be great. Excelled at everything. Questioned nothing. Simply did as was expected.

Then his moonblade judged him dishonorable. It shocked him and he went into exile. Somehow, the moonblade had sensed some flaw in his honor he had yet to figure out.

Then he became a notorious crimelord. He figured he was expected to be dishonorable, so he did it better than anyone :)

God I love his character. It is simply a huge shame we never got resolution. I would buy without a seconds hesitation hardcovers of Reclamation and the serpent's daughter.

Why oh Why WOTC did you not put them out.

My way of reading it was that the blade judged based on his intentions and motivations. As you say, he always did the right thing, did what he was expected to, but not for the right reasons. His heart was not pure, and while he could hide that truth from everyone else and even lie to himself about it, the truth was he was always evil - the sword just gave him an excuse to loose that part of him.

But I agree - he's soooo good when he's bad :D
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2014 :  00:37:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I disagree that he was always evil.

I think he was neutral before he drew the moonblade. And the moonblade didn't judge him negatively -- it went dormant, indicating he was the last of his line.

Elaith had always defined himself against the expectations of others, and when the moonblade went dormant, it wasn't something he was prepared to deal with. All of the expectations people held for him were shattered. He went from knowing how every day of his life would play out to not knowing how the rest of the day would go...

Because he was no longer "elf enough" and because his betrothal had been annulled, he left Evermeet, looking for a new role to fill. He wasn't really looking to make his own way in life, he was just in motion because he didn't know what else to do... And then a new role presented itself to him, and he threw himself into it. He embraced his new role; partially because it was a new path for him, and partially because it allowed him to forget himself.

There are a lot of places in the books where you see that of him: he acts a particular way because it's expected, and not out of any really desire or goal.

Elaith is one of my fave Realms characters, and I think he's quite fascinating. His villainy is all the more intriguing because of his nature.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2014 :  01:11:23  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think he was neutral before he drew the moonblade. And the moonblade didn't judge him negatively -- it went dormant, indicating he was the last of his line.

They only go dormant for the last in the line if they first judge negatively. Instead of killing him as it normally would have, it let him live that he might have children and that he and his family might be redeemed. Its a hopeful mercy.

Also, there are some times when you see him where he is just plain evil. He guts people like fish for pleasure or profit. He uses poisons that cause pain and take time to relish it. He enjoys being feared but hates being seen as what he is by his people. This is not a person who became a crime lord to fill his spare time - its what he was always meant for.

The tragedy is, I think, that part of him wishes he was not evil. That he was the 'perfect elf ideal' that he seemed to be and was expected to be as a guard captain in Evermeet. He struggles with these feelings in Elfsong and later in some short stories. I think again and again he has to comes to accept that he is what he is, not what he is expected to be.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2014 :  03:00:12  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Elaith had always defined himself against the expectations of others, and when the moonblade went dormant, it wasn't something he was prepared to deal with. All of the expectations people held for him were shattered. He went from knowing how every day of his life would play out to not knowing how the rest of the day would go...

Because he was no longer "elf enough" and because his betrothal had been annulled, he left Evermeet, looking for a new role to fill. He wasn't really looking to make his own way in life, he was just in motion because he didn't know what else to do... And then a new role presented itself to him, and he threw himself into it. He embraced his new role; partially because it was a new path for him, and partially because it allowed him to forget himself.

There are a lot of places in the books where you see that of him: he acts a particular way because it's expected, and not out of any really desire or goal.

Elaith is one of my fave Realms characters, and I think he's quite fascinating. His villainy is all the more intriguing because of his nature.

Agreed sir :)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2014 :  04:36:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

They only go dormant for the last in the line if they first judge negatively. Instead of killing him as it normally would have, it let him live that he might have children and that he and his family might be redeemed. Its a hopeful mercy.

Also, there are some times when you see him where he is just plain evil. He guts people like fish for pleasure or profit. He uses poisons that cause pain and take time to relish it. He enjoys being feared but hates being seen as what he is by his people. This is not a person who became a crime lord to fill his spare time - its what he was always meant for.

The tragedy is, I think, that part of him wishes he was not evil. That he was the 'perfect elf ideal' that he seemed to be and was expected to be as a guard captain in Evermeet. He struggles with these feelings in Elfsong and later in some short stories. I think again and again he has to comes to accept that he is what he is, not what he is expected to be.

No, a negative judgment means a fried elf. They go dormant at the end of a line because at that point, it's obvious that family is not suitable for being rulers -- not having heirs, and all that.

I think the struggles we see from Elaith are when he realizes he could be more, and is torn between being free and following the expectations of others as he always has. That's nicely illustrated in The Dream Spheres, where he steals what he thinks is the mhoarkiira hadryad as a test of himself, to see if he is condemned to be what he has been or if he can be free of his past.

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2014 :  05:34:03  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the passage from Evermeet: Island Of The Elves that describes the moonblades falling dormant and the reason. The red sections are those that explain that they failed and were spared.

"Amlaruil had never seen the ceremony in which the swords were claimed.
It was beautiful, and it was terrible. The recent battles had left several swords unclaimed. Ten elves, all nobles of ancient house and good reputation, pledged themselves to the power of the swords and the service of the People. Of them, only six survived the ceremony.
For two of these survivors, there was no triumph. The magic in the blades they held went silent and dormant in their hands. They had been proved unequal to the task of wielding the powers within their family blades; as the last living descendant of the original wielders, they were spared a sudden death. The expression of stunned disbelief on the two elves' faces suggested that they would perhaps have preferred death to this living realization of their loss.
In the heavy silence that followed the first claiming, the four Moon elf houses who had lost their first and best hope of the future tried again, and yet again, to claim the honor of Evermeet's throne.
Amlaruil's eyes burned with tears of mingled pride and grief as she watched one young elf after another step forward to die, like so many moths flinging themselves against the seductive promise of a lantern's heat and light.
Yet not one of the elven houses yielded, not until the last surviving member of the clan stood alive, but defeated. Their moonblades, their task of selection completed, went dormant at last.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2014 :  05:45:00  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, I would agree that failing the blade ritual does not in and of itself reveal his dark tendencies, he could have been found wanting for many reasons. His actions afterward reveal that.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2014 :  15:06:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I stand corrected on the dormancy/judgement thing. However, I will continue to maintain that Elaith was not initially evil, and would not have fallen if it hadn't been for the moonblade's rejection of him causing him to become unmoored and lost. There is nothing to indicate he was evil or even had darker tendencies before he was found wanting and threw himself into the role of a bad guy.

Go to Top of Page

Magor
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2014 :  18:54:14  Show Profile Send Magor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My first choice would be Zaknafein Do'Urden, because the way he was presented by RAS never made me feel comfortable with how he ended up dead so soon. There could have been so much more Zaknafein and so much more Menzoberranzan if only RAS didn't rush through Drizzt's background history so damn fast.

Second pick would be Sammaster. I very much liked what I read about him and it is clear that he depicts most perfectly what one has to call a tragedy of choices in life.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  00:37:05  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I stand corrected on the dormancy/judgement thing. However, I will continue to maintain that Elaith was not initially evil, and would not have fallen if it hadn't been for the moonblade's rejection of him causing him to become unmoored and lost. There is nothing to indicate he was evil or even had darker tendencies before he was found wanting and threw himself into the role of a bad guy.

Agreed.
I think he was merely not judged as honorable and good. The more wielders a moonblade has, the harder the test of claiming a blade becomes even for those of a goodly weal. it was designed as such so only the most honorable of lines(Whoever had the most moonblades) took rulership.

The elves knew drawing the blade was death or dishonor if it judged them unworthy. Obviously nobody who drew the blade and failed expected to die. Most probably thought of themselves as good and honorable.

The blade may have judged him as "neutral", in the sense that he was not honorable because it was in his heart. He was merely doing good and the right thing because it was expected of him, and sensed he could turn the other way.

That was the sense I got reading his short story on failing to draw the blade(Which was a great read)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  01:10:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Elaith failed to be worthy of the moonblade because of his failure to be his own person. He embraced the role of being a model elven warrior because it was expected of him, not because he wanted to be a model elven warrior, and not because he truly wanted to serve his people.

I think the moonblade's rejection of him was based on the fact that at that time, the core of his personality was simply going with the flow -- which is not an admirable trait for someone who is expected to dedicate himself, heart and soul, to serving the People.

In fact, it's not until Elaith reawakens the moonblade that we see him throw himself into something heart and soul -- and even with that, he still harbored some serious self-doubt about who he was, as seen in The Dream Spheres.

That's part of why I like Elaine's writing so much -- you can get into the mind of her characters so much better than anyone else's. I personally feel that I have a better understanding of Elaith, Arilyn, and Danilo than I do of any other Realms characters, even those who have been in many more books.

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  04:41:46  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about Atreus Eleint? The poor guy was not exactly a looker and yet wanted to be a priest of the goddess of beauty. It then set him on a fantastic quest for beauty that led to the most notoriously abrupt ending of any FR novel ever written (IMHO).

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000