Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Luiren
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2014 :  08:16:57  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was reading about the 4E stuff online today and I saw that Luiren, home of my favorite race in the Realms was destroyed in the events of the Spell Plague. I have to say my stomach dropped when I read this.
I must have blocked this out after my initial read of the Campaign guide back in what 08-09? I can't believe I forgot soemthing that big for the halflings.

Did any halflings survive this devastation? Are the survivors living a gypsy-like wandering lifestyle now?
Do they have a new home someplace?

Why were the halflings nuked?

edit: If they don't have a current home, where should I put "New Luiren" on the post-Sundering map if I wanted to make one up?
My Realms geography is more than a tad rusty as haven't cracked a sourcebook open for about 5 years.

Thanks from your friendly neighborhood but probably homeless..

HobbitFan

Edited by - hobbitfan on 05 Jul 2014 08:20:35

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2014 :  12:08:51  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
they nuked their homeland probably because the core has halflings living gypsy like riverboat life.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2014 :  15:00:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I think Luiren was a victim of the same logic that kinda sorta but not really nuked Halruaa: the designers decided that the area was too far from the "active" portion of the Realms, and thus of limited utility. Since it wasn't something used by the majority of Realms players, it had to be removed.

On the topic of Luiren itself, I once mentioned to Ed using the Known World's Five Shires supplement in Luiren. His response:

quote:
Sure. Superimpose the Luiren cities and government structure, shift places "just a little" to make room for them, and, yes, it works admirably for that. Almost as if someone designed it that way. ;}

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2014 :  19:12:12  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
..... to me, the only reason why it was nuked was because teh core 4e rulebook lore was shoehorned into the 4e realms....

which made the moon, sun, adn star elves eladrin

and the wild and wood elves just elves...

and the halflings homeless.

umm yeah, most of us had reasons to diss 4e....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2014 :  21:20:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A post has been removed from this thread. We don't need members attacking each other over a couple of typos.

Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2014 :  22:36:39  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To answer the "New Luiren" question - I'd handle things as follows...

1. I'd recognize that there were a number of major populations of halflings around the Realms prior to the Spellplague. They likely took on greater importance after the fall of Luiren.

2. I'd have the halflings largely be a wandering people with no real nation of their own.

3. I'd have them establish a semi-official home base in the Dalelands. It wouldn't be a new Luiren, simply a place that halflings migrated to over time and started to put down roots. The culture of the Dales and the culture of the halflings would likely be rather complimentary.

4. I'd continue with the trend of the halflings adopting the worship of human deities, however, I'd also have some halfling deities make the jump to be worshiped by humans as well. I would say that the halfling deities likely to receive the most human worship would likely be Arvoreen, Cyrrollalee, and to a lesser extent Sheela Peryroyl (who would be making moves on existing human deity portfolios - causing some conflict). Arvoreen and Cyrrollalee do not largely have any real counter parts in the Faerunian Pantheon, though they may be worshiped slightly differently by humans.

5. I believe Cyrrollalee would take on a much larger role among the halflings, as part of her old dogma was: "The Day of Discovery approaches, when all hin rally around a new home based upon dignity, companionship, and love."

I believe "the Day of Discovery" will take on new meaning to the halflings, the promise of a new homeland someday in the future.

To the humans, I can see Cyrrollalee's worship growing rapidly as a deity of home, hearth, hospitality, friendship, and community. I would expect such a deity to have considerable sway among the humans of the Dalelands - likely with most every family having a small shrine to her in their homes.

In the Dales, I'd expect the clergy and faithful of Cyrrollalee to be the ones that bridge the gap between human and hin. They'd actively be working to smooth over differences, settling disputes, and both encouraging and fostering cooperation to the benefit of everyone.

That's likely how I'd play things out with the halflings post-Spellplague in the canon Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2014 :  05:37:04  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try this out:

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16585&whichpage=1

Other things have brought me away from finishing this project; but Markustay made some AWESOME maps for this. Eventually I will finish it...and not in Sage-Time but in this world's time.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2014 :  06:03:33  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting Dalor, very interesting indeed :)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2014 :  06:33:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbitfan

edit: If they don't have a current home, where should I put "New Luiren" on the post-Sundering map if I wanted to make one up?
My Realms geography is more than a tad rusty as haven't cracked a sourcebook open for about 5 years.

Until I actually see the post-Sundering map, I can't comment on this one. The designers have promised to roll back a lot of the geography changes, so looking for an alternate place for Luiren may be unnecessary.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2014 :  13:12:35  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hell, you know those islands just south of Luiren.... who says that the halflings didn't migrate south to islands. Not that they need to become sailors mind you (though some might), but some of those islands are big enough to support a sizable land based population.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2014 :  13:17:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and to my knowledge, there was very little done with those islands ever. A few of them may have seen some documentation in the corsairs of the great sea boxed set for Al-Qadim, but that's about it. Personally, I'd displace many of the Crintri from Dambrath down there on different islands as well, possibly raiding the halflings to sell as slaves. They'd fit in well with the existing corsairs, possibly as new leadership.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000