Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How does one become a Cleric?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chest Rockwell
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2014 :  06:53:08  Show Profile Send Chest Rockwell a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've always wondered this, but how does a person in the realms become a cleric? Are they trained from an early age in order to be a cleric? Or do the gods just seek out skilled men and women and choose which ones they want? Though if that is the case would this mean all clerics are technically two classes? They are a cleric and then also..whatever they were prior to that that made a god think they were worthy to become a cleric.

I guess I'm wondering about Druids too, are they just born with their magic? I know some get their powers from gods(usually ones involved with nature, etc.) but as I understand that isn't the case for everyone.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2014 :  19:42:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it is not fully explained when one selects the career path, it clearly might be decided or decided for them when they are children. Looking at starting ages of classes the choice appears to be made at about 15 or 16 (for humans) that they dedicate their life to serve. [1] Then they go to the Temple of their choice and dedicate them to service of the deity and take training in the duties and history of the faith. Again there is no set rules that say it always takes 3 [2]years before becoming first level and clearly some might learn quicker or slower.

[1] The estimate of when training selected based on starting age of classes, a Fighter needs less training then a Wizard or a Cleric explains why some classes start out at first level at different ages, in my understanding.

[2] SRD 3.5 indicates starting age Human:
Barbarian, Rogue or Sorcerer 15 years +1d4
Bard, Fighter, Paladin or Ranger 15 years +1d6
Cleric, Druid, Monk or Wizard 15 years +2d6

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2014 :  04:12:15  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chest Rockwell

I guess I'm wondering about Druids too, are they just born with their magic? I know some get their powers from gods(usually ones involved with nature, etc.) but as I understand that isn't the case for everyone.

Int he core D&D it isn't the case for everyone, but in the realms all Divine Powers come from the gods, and most druids are worshippers of Silvanus or Chauntea.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2014 :  05:40:58  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could be wrong, but I believe Ed or THO have stated many priests start off as orphans or children raised by the temple. Some people also receive visions in their dreams that direct them to the service a deity. Those are the two I seem to recall off the top of my head.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2014 :  17:26:16  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup. Elminster's Forgotten Realms p. 134 discusses how most would-be priests receive dream visions.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2014 :  21:46:46  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
they prostrate themselves before Helm's Alter and swear to protect the weak, defend the innocent, house the homeless children and smite the wicked. and them Helm appears and makes them a .... oh wait you do know that I am bsing right??? just laugh and move along

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2014 :  22:03:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since everyone in the realms is trained to read, I'd bet we'd see less of the having to take in kids at like age 8 and train them until 18 to become clerics. The majority of the work (basic math, basic reading, and most likely basic knowledge of their patron deity) will likely already have been taught to them while growing up. I'd imagine they spend a year (maybe two) learning the essence of divine spellcasting (which is probably more forgiving than arcane magic since its more focused on moral/ethical/wisdom-related arts than intellectual understanding), and probably a little more depth in divine knowledge in general. The rest they learn as part of leveling (i.e. a 1st level priest is still probably green as can be around the gills about how gods work, more than a layman, but not much more).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Chest Rockwell
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  03:37:11  Show Profile Send Chest Rockwell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lordsknight185

quote:

Int he core D&D it isn't the case for everyone, but in the realms all Divine Powers come from the gods, and most druids are worshippers of Silvanus or Chauntea.

I see, but I had read that while some druids are merely clerics working for nature gods, some actually do not receive their power from a specific god. So this isn't true then? Or if it is true, what then do they receive power from? Or if they are all clerics, why not just call them clerics?

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Well it is not fully explained when one selects the career path, it clearly might be decided or decided for them when they are children.

I see, but this part is hard for me to understand because how would the gods know what type of person they would turn out to be?

Edited by - Chest Rockwell on 30 Jun 2014 03:40:35
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  04:50:23  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Well it is not fully explained when one selects the career path, it clearly might be decided or decided for them when they are children.

I see, but this part is hard for me to understand because how would the gods know what type of person they would turn out to be?

The deities do not know if a follower will become unfaithful. The deities are not all knowing, they do not know what the future holds. Deities at best look in from time to time see the Cleric is true to the selected faith. If found not true they will be stripped of Divine power at minimum and at worst be struck by Divine wrath.
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2014 :  02:15:21  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by lordsknight185

quote:

I see, but I had read that while some druids are merely clerics working for nature gods, some actually do not receive their power from a specific god. So this isn't true then? Or if it is true, what then do they receive power from? Or if they are all clerics, why not just call them clerics?

Did you read this from a core-D&D/greyhawk suppliment, or from something realms specific? There is a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2014 :  01:25:12  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think in core D&D there is some flavor about druids just getting their power from "Nature", however in the Realms there is no such thing. It's clear that druid's wield a specific "type" of divine magic, which comes from the deities of nature.

So while it is very possible to be a CLERIC of a "nature" deity like Silvanus, one cannot be a DRUID of a "non-nature" deity like Tempus for instance. This is explained by the differences in the classes mechanics (clerics fight with metal armor and weapons and can effect undead, while druid do not and cannot).

So if it's easier for you, think of druids as a specialized sort of priest that has powers directly related to nature that clerics even of nature deities simply do not have.

In my games I refer to druids as having a special and specific relationship with their deity and thus nature itself, thereby granting them these special power that other divine casters do not have.

I do not know the answer to your question about if they are born with it or not. I would say it depends. Some children may show an aptitude for animals or nature at a young age just as some children show minor flares for magic.

I think the novels bear out that all that is required to be a ranger or a druid is a "heart for nature".

Elves obviously are different having already a special connection with the eldritch and nature just by virtue of their race.

Edited by - Cards77 on 02 Jul 2014 01:30:52
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2014 :  22:44:11  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember mention of Adon in the Avatar Trilogy having been sent away to a temple to learn to be a Cleric after causing some embarrasment for his family.
That and the idea of orphans being raised in temples gives me a ganeral idea that temples serve as a kind of prep school. The "students" may remain simple clergy, with exceptional students "graduating" to clerics or paladins.
Druids I think would be a bit different. In my mind they would be born with an affinity and attraction to nature that is noticed or recognised by a mentor, who then offers to train them in the druidic faith specific to thier chosen diety.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000