Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Tunland: the Mir vs/and marsh bandits?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2014 :  22:46:49  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi, all.
My PCs will shortly be leaving the Dwarven settlements under the Far Hills and emerging on surface at the western edges of Tunland. They need to cross Tunland to reach Eagle Peak in the western edge of the Storm Horns.

I've been reading the 2E canon regarding Tunland and have come up against what appear to be contradictory or inconsistant reports.

In Elminster's ecologies[i] (1994) in the section regarding the marshes of Cormyr there is a detailed account regarding a group of bandits, led by an outlaw former purple dragon, who inhabit the Marsh of Tun. They are in an uneasy alliance with the Black Dragon Skurge, routinely attack Cormyrian settlements in the Stormhorns and south to Proskur, and who are constructing a fortress in the Marsh of Tun that could threaten Cormyr's tenuous claim to Tunland.

In the [i]Ruins of Zhentil Keep
(1995) the Tunlands are said to be inhabited by a culture of horse lords called the Mir who are led by a hereditary tribal chief. The Mir are said to appose both the Zhentarim and the Purple Dragons. The have a base in the Marsh of Tun.

In each source book, no mention is made of the other group.

Any thoughts on reconciling these two groups?

Cheers,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  00:04:14  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have a look at Ed's replies here.

Edited by - Faraer on 27 Jun 2014 00:20:25
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  05:37:29  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Have a look at Ed's replies here.

Awesome. Thanks, Faraer.
That was super informative.
Unfortunately, Ed doesn't really say much about the Mir, except to say:
quote:
All Tunlar now shun the Mir, considering them “wild-heads who attack all on sight - - we can no longer share this land with them.”

He doesn't, as far as I can tell, indicate how the Mir came to be shunned. It makes sense that the Tunlar would shun the Drulla, who are the only remaining tribe controlled by the Zhents. But why the Mir?

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 27 Jun 2014 05:39:33
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000