Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Drow War in Forgotten Realms.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DoveArrow
Seeker

96 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2012 :  22:57:36  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm running The Drow War: Book 1 - The Gathering Storm, by Mongoose Publishing, in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting Third Edition. I have set the campaign in the North. Here are my notes for conversion so far.

Chillhame
Bronce
  • Bronce is a small fishing village on the northeastern shore of Highstar Lake.

• The patron deity of the village is Chauntea.

• Starkweather John is a hero who fought back an invasion of the drow during the Crown Wars, when they first settled the area in -3917 DR.

Raising the Alarm

Lichgate
  • Replace Lichgate with Secomber.

Scumsgrove
  • Replace Scumsgrove with Llorkh.

• Lord Mayor Geildarr and his army of Lord’s Men are away from the city, dealing with a tribe of orcs that have been attacking merchants traveling through the Anauroch Desert, along the Black Road. Geildarr has left Hodgkiss, a local, Zhentarim businessman, as acting mayor of the city while he is away.

• Replace the Guild of Merchants with the Zhentarim. While Geildarr is away, they are the true leaders of the city, with Hodgkiss under their control.

• The constabulary are a group of Zhent soldiers, controlled by the Guild of Merchants.

• If the players convince the Zhentarim of the danger to the city, they send word to Lord Geildarr, who returns from his campaign immediately.

Hockton Barrow
  • Replace Hockton Barrow with Orlbar, a town between Loudwater and Llorkh.

• In 1369, the town of Orlbar was overrun by the Zhentarim. Since that time, the Black Network has created a new industry in creating longbows from the stands of yew trees growing near the banks of the river. The people of Orlbar have prospered from this, and the town has grown rapidly, from a small village of450 shepherds to a town of 1,900, mostly Zhentarim.

• The town is ruled by Felishar Ivarzin (LE human Wiz 5).

• A temple, once dedicated to Iyachtu Xvim, has been rededicated to Bane.

Churney
  • Replace Churney with Zelbross, a small village between Secomber and Loudwater.

Additional Notes
Because of the way that the map is set up, the party may decide to split up and go separate ways if they want to warn Llorkh, Orlbar, Secomber and Zelbross in time. Since most of the encounters are roleplaying encounters, this shouldn’t present a problem. Nevertheless, you should make the following adjustments.
  • If a fight breaks out between the PCs and Oachim in Orlbar, the captain of the militia, Lucie Jabril, and five of her militia step in.

• In the “Merchant Under Attack” encounter (p. 61), replace Hogbin, the ogre commander, with a hobgoblin commander.

• Instead of meeting the PCs himself, Hugh Severin sends two agents to deliver a letter to each group, explaining the situation in Loudwater and advising the PCs to take ferries into the town, where he will meet them at the docks.

Saragost
  • Replace Saragost with Loudwater.

• There is no Avenue of Beasts.

• Replace the Inn of the Flaming Beard with The Merry Mer-She. This inn, which started out as a rowdy tavern, has expanded to a full city block. The scruffy end, as described in the module, is the original tavern. The rest of the inn has built up over time.

• Replace the Grand Baronial Hotel with The Enchanter’s Ecstasy.

• Replace the Tower of Undying Light with the High Lord’s Hall.

• Replace the Adepts of the Prism with the Arcane Brotherhood. They have trapped the phoenix described in the module and are holding it in their tower.

• Replace the Grove of Hernun with the Grove of Mielikki. This is a small grove of trees near the southeastern corner of the dwarven bridge spanning the Delimbyir River.

• The Hall of Echoes is owned by the Harpers.

• Replace Grandlord Peregrine Yomah with Kalahar Twohands.

• Replace Jeren Falconio with Harazos Thelbrimm.

• The other council members serve as advisors to Kalahar.

The Lost Villages
  • Chalksmere is a small settlement on the border of the High Forest, just north of the Heart Blood River.

• Replace Vannondale with the Smiling Satyr. The Colombe family has rented the inn to host a costume party.

• Replace Prospero with Arvyn Umbryl.

• Lord Alphonse is a former owner of the Smiling Satyr.

• Astercote is a small settlement in the Graypeak Mountains. The sorcerer of Astercote who raised the city discovered a mythallar, which he hoped to use to keep the city safe. To his horror, the mythallar raised the village and the countryside for a mile around it.

Crescent City
  • Replace Crescent City with Daggerford.

• Use the history presented in the Age of Worms Overload for the city.

• Replace The Cathedral of Blessed Marius with Moonglow Tower.

• Replace the Merry Jackdaw with the Thieves’ Brotherhood. Keep Lord Raglan.

• Replace the Pig and Hammer with the Fences’ Syndicate. Keep Jimmy the Tailor.

• Replace Chandler’s Arms with the Black Stone Inn. Replace Little Reginald with Gildamesh. Gildamesh is believed by more than a few people to be a Zhent agent. He sleeps on the fifth and top floor of the building in a magically protected, heavily trapped, and unduly locked room.

• Replace the Lifeless Lass with the Grand Playhouse. Keep Dark Mariah.

• Replace the Hospice of Saint Cecilia with the Hospice of Lathander. The hospice was recently established by the Church of Lathander in a building formerly occupied by Thieves' Brotherhood. It is dedicated to caring for the poor of the city; those who do not have the gold to pay for remove disease or even cure light wounds. This building is in Location 131 on the Daggerford map included in The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier.

• Replace the Central Bank with Yarth Stowage

• Replace Ruthven Calamus with Yarth of Berun.

• Yarth of Berun: Gnome wizard 14; CR 14; Small humanoid; HD 14d4 (35 hp); Init +0; Spd 20 ft. (4 squares); AC 15 (+1 size, +4 amulet of natural armor), touch 15, flat-footed 15; Base attack/grapple +7/+3; Atk masterwork rapier +8 melee (1d4/18-20 x2); Full Atk masterwork rapier +8/+3 melee (1d4/18-20 x2); Space/Reach 5 ft./5 ft.; SA spells; SQ gnome traits; AL LN; SV Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +12; Str 11, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 18, Wis 16, Cha 12.

Skills and Feats: Concentration +7, Knowledge (arcana) +21, Listen +18, Profession (banker) +20, Search +6, Sense Motive +8, Spellcraft +21, Spot _14; Alertness (from familiar), Craft Staff, Craft Wand, Craft Wondrous Item, Iron Will, Scribe Scroll, Improved Counterspell, Spell Focus (conjuration), Spell Penetration.

Spells: 0 level: daze, touch of fatigue, message, resistance; 1st level: shield, mage armor, identify, charm person, cause fear; 2nd level: arcane lock, obscure object, detect thoughts, see invisibility, misdirection; 3rd level: dispel magic (2), nondetection, suggestion, slow; 4th level: arcane eye, black tentacles, detect scrying, summon monster IV, greater invisibility; 5th level: mage’s private sanctum, mage’s faithful hound, secret chest; 6th level: antimagic shield, guards and wards; 7th level: spell turning, grasping hand.

Familiar: Bat (grants +3 bonus to Listen checks).

Equipment & Treasure: Master keys to all doors in the bank, control amulet for shield guardian, amulet of natural armor +4, staff of conjuration.

• In addition to the wards listed in the module for the Central Bank, Yarth's Stowage is blanketed by a powerful ward that keeps everyone who enters the building from being able to carry out an evil task – this includes deeds where the deeds justifies the means, for instance, stealing a holy relic from Yarth Storage to return to Chauntea’s Temple. Treat this effect as a mark of justice spell that causes targets to recall some other business that they need to attend to immediately. The effects of the mark of justice spell remain in effect so long as the person is inside the building.

• In addition to disabling the alarm system, a rod of cancellation will also disable the mark of justice ward on the building.

The Ragged Man
  • Replace the Western Marshes with the Lizard Marsh.

• Replace the swamp elves with the lizardfolk. Enslavement of the lizardfolk is a relatively recent phenomenon and only occurs on the outskirts of the city.

Corruption in Caldraza
  • Replace Caldraza with Waterdeep.

• Replace Ghael with Luskan.

• Replace King Titus with Piergeiron the Paladinson. Piergeiron is not dead, but is being held in the drow dungeons beneath the city.

• Shortly after the doppelganger replaced Piergeiron, he dismissed Madeiron Sunderstone. Madeiron disagreed strongly with his former lord’s decision to ally with the drow against Luskan.

• Rufus is a former Lord of Waterdeep, who was assassinated while traveling to Luskan on a diplomatic mission. The assassination has soured relationships between Waterdeep and Luskan even further and both are now preparing to go to war.

• Replace the Winter Palace with the Palace of Waterdeep.

• Replace Princess Romilly with Aleena Paladinstar. She has been absent from the city for several years, having taken to planewalking to see new worlds. Some say she might someday succeed her father when his reign as Open Lord comes to an end.

• Instead of marrying Prince Caspar, the doppelganger, disguised as Lord Piergeiron, installs the Terror as a new Lord of Waterdeep. He has just completed the induction ceremony when the players walk in. While this is disastrous, it appears to be legally binding and the guards are now obliged to protect the Terror, just as they would any other Lord of Waterdeep. If, however, the players are able to kill the doppelganger or dispel its magical disguise, then the guards are no longer deceived.

Edited by - DoveArrow on 04 Sep 2012 04:13:48

DoveArrow
Seeker

96 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2012 :  23:24:16  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, for my first question to the forum:

In the module, Princess Romilly allies with Jamie Macrieth of Ghael in order to try and prevent a war between the Ghaels and Caldraza. As I mentioned in my notes above, I am replacing Cladraza with Waterdeep and Ghael with Luskan. I am also replacing Princess Romilly with Aleena Paladinstar, the daughter of Piergeiron Paladinson.

My question is, who would be a good Realms NPC to replace Jamie Macrieth of Ghael? Is there a son of one of the pirate lords of Luskan that might make a good ally? If not, is there someone else in Luskan who might make a good ally? If not, what about someone from Neverwinter? Perhaps there's someone who the peoples of Waterdeep and Luskan both trust.

Keep in mind, in the module, Romilly and Jamie have a burgeoning romantic relationship, so it would be nice to continue that. Let me know if anyone can think of a Luskan NPC that might fit that criteria.

Edited by - DoveArrow on 02 Sep 2012 23:26:22
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2012 :  15:11:30  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't, unfortunately. Luskan is ruled by either the Captains, or the Arcane Brotherhood (and even when it's supposedly the Captains, the AB is really the one pulling the strings).

Only one of the captains has ever really been detailed, and he was the nasty piece of work that helped chase Liriel in Tangled Webs. He survived the book, but I'm not sure he survived all the 3e sourcebooks, and even if he did, he's not the kind to fall in love with someone.

The Arcane Brotherhood are all liches, so there's no help there.

I think your idea of changing the locale to Neverwinter is a good one. You could make the male romantic interest the lord of the city, or give him a son, or there are nobles that could probably also serve. I don't know a great deal about the city, since my campaigns have never gone there, but everyone is alive and more or less good-aligned, which would make things easier.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2012 :  15:12:20  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PS: Really impressive conversion notes by the way. I may just have to track down that book and take a look; sounds like an interesting adventure.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2012 :  18:25:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the conversion is very well thought-out - kudos.

I haven't been in the mood to work on maps since I returned from Gencon, and now you've got my fingers twitching (all those locales!)

Anyhow, the captain that Hoondatha mentions - that Northmen - is dead, I am pretty sure. I don't remember the circumstances (a kelpie?), but I do recall Liriel being very upset over it.

However, Captain Deudermont is an excellent option. AFAIK, he is the only captain that commands respect in both ports. I don't know if there is supposed to be some sort of love-angle there, but if there is, it should be simple enough to give Deudermont a son, and have her influence the son to influence his father. Then again, he is considered a hero in Waterdeep, and if you don't mind a May-December relationship, then just use Deudermont (Don't now if Piergeiron would be happy about that, but paladins are never happy).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Sep 2012 18:29:50
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2012 :  21:56:03  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DoveArrow

My question is, who would be a good Realms NPC to replace Jamie Macrieth of Ghael? Is there a son of one of the pirate lords of Luskan that might make a good ally?

Pirate lords . . . "good ally"? No way. Absolutely untrustable pirates and business tycoons.

Kensidan "The Crow" Rethnor would be in the best position to forge an inter-city alliance in the 1370s, but he led an insurrection against the Arcane Brotherhood and Captain Deudermont of Waterdeep, and then forged an alliance with Bregan D'aerthe in 1376 DR (The Pirate King). If you wanted to go that route, you might have to situate your adventure before all that.

quote:
If not, is there someone else in Luskan who might make a good ally? If not, what about someone from Neverwinter? Perhaps there's someone who the peoples of Waterdeep and Luskan both trust.

What about Overwizard Arabeth Raurym of the South Tower (detailed in TPK)? She wasn't 100% goodly, but she would seem like the best option of the Luskanites. Though a fellow overwizard, she actually opposed Arklem Greeth.

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I can't, unfortunately. Luskan is ruled by either the Captains, or the Arcane Brotherhood (and even when it's supposedly the Captains, the AB is really the one pulling the strings).

TPK completely changed all that--utterly.

quote:
Only one of the captains has ever really been detailed, and he was the nasty piece of work that helped chase Liriel in Tangled Webs. He survived the book, but I'm not sure he survived all the 3e sourcebooks, and even if he did, he's not the kind to fall in love with someone.

Again, TPK dramatizes them, and a little more detail can be read up on in Volo's Guide to the North.

quote:
The Arcane Brotherhood are all liches, so there's no help there.

I don't think so. Arklem finally became one in 1371 DR, after planning it for decades. Valindra just became one in 1377 DR. Arabeth never became one, AFAIK.

quote:
I think your idea of changing the locale to Neverwinter is a good one. You could make the male romantic interest the lord of the city, or give him a son, or there are nobles that could probably also serve. I don't know a great deal about the city, since my campaigns have never gone there, but everyone is alive and more or less good-aligned, which would make things easier.

Agreed. Definitely a friendlier environment than Luskan.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2012 :  22:22:39  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

However, Captain Deudermont is an excellent option. AFAIK, he is the only captain that commands respect in both ports. I don't know if there is supposed to be some sort of love-angle there, but if there is, it should be simple enough to give Deudermont a son, and have her influence the son to influence his father. Then again, he is considered a hero in Waterdeep, and if you don't mind a May-December relationship, then just use Deudermont[...].

Aye. In the books, he apparently remained a lifelong bachelor. He had no family in 1370 DR when the Companions visisted his Waterdeep mansion (Sea of Swords), and apparently still had none years later in 1376 DR (The Pirate King).

He was perhaps too committed to the naval service to ever settled down and marry. But a man like that would surely make many a maiden's heart swoon, no matter his age.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

96 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  02:39:32  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been reading up on the High Captains a little bit. It sounds like Suljack was killed in R.A. Salvatore's The Pirate King and that it is not yet known what happened to his territory. If nobody has a better idea, I think what I might do is have Jamie be the son of Suljack. In the module, Jamie's father was killed by a rival clan MacHallish. In the Realms, Suljack was killed because he decided to side with Deudermont, a pirate from Waterdeep who invaded and tried to reform Luskan, instead of Kensidan the Crow, the son and heir of Rethnor.

In the module, it is Clan MacHallish who invited Prince Rufus to begin negotiations and ultimately assassinated him. In the Realms, I could see it being Kensidan who invited one of the Lords of Waterdeep.

With that in mind, I could see Aleena Paladinstar and Jamie working together to try and get Piergeiron to see that it wasn't Luskan, but rather Kensidan acting alone, who assassinated Lord Rufus.
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

96 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  02:47:24  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Captain Deudermont is an excellent option. AFAIK, he is the only captain that commands respect in both ports. I don't know if there is supposed to be some sort of love-angle there, but if there is, it should be simple enough to give Deudermont a son, and have her influence the son to influence his father. Then again, he is considered a hero in Waterdeep, and if you don't mind a May-December relationship, then just use Deudermont (Don't know if Piergeiron would be happy about that, but paladins are never happy).

I actually thought about using Deudermont, but I wasn't sure what his relationship was to Luskan prior to The Pirate King. I also didn't know how old he was and I wasn't sure what he'd be doing in a forest, since he commands his own ship.
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

96 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  04:03:19  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a new one. In the module, there's a dwarven city, called Underdell. This is a strategic point for the drow invasion of Caldraza, because there's an entrance that leads from the city where the drow in the module are imprisoned.. I'm thinking of replacing this with some part of Undermountain or some other under part of the city, but I haven't decided where.

I was thinking the Citadel of the Bloody Hand makes sense. However, there's a scene in the module where the players have to break into the Winter Palace by way of some catacombs beneath it and I think the Citadel would be a good place for this. Another good place might be some lost section of the Maze Level, since this is where another group of drow are currently located.

I don't know. What are some of your thoughts? Is there a location within the city that makes more sense?

Edited by - DoveArrow on 04 Sep 2012 04:14:18
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  05:22:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Deudermont is given high status in Luskan, which is highly unusual considering its a 'pirate port'. He had enough 'pull' to have Wulfgar freed from prison (over-riding a ruling by a judge of Luskan).

As to his marital status, whether he ever sired children, or what he's doing in a forest... why does any of that matter? its a conversion! With everything else you are changing/tweaking, this is a very minor point. Maybe he knows of a cove with a 'secret river' that flows inland into a dense forest... where he has his secret 'base' (think Capt. Nemo, but it its in a forest).

Part of Undermountain IS a dwarven city. I can't recall the name - I'll have to look that up.

EDIT: Melairbode - read this

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Sep 2012 05:26:26
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

96 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  23:11:37  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
As to his marital status, whether he ever sired children, or what he's doing in a forest... why does any of that matter? its a conversion!

Because I'm a crazy crazy person.

quote:
Part of Undermountain IS a dwarven city. I can't recall the name - I'll have to look that up.

EDIT: Melairbode - read this

That's what I was thinking too. However, Melairbode, as far as I understand, is an ancient dwarven community that has since abandoned Undermountain.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Melairbode
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  00:36:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, okay. I didn't realize it was 'active'. Most Dwarf Holds are ruins.

'The Warrens': an area beneath Waterdeep that is home to all sorts of 'small folk' Including - but not limited to - halflings, gnomes, and dwarves. It also has connections (through the sewers) to Undermountain.

That means that a group of these 'Warren Dwarves' may have rediscovered some ancient Melairbode areas, and are now re-occupying them (small settlement so far, but growing, slowly and in-secret). So picture a dwarf hold, but only part of it is currently 'fixed up' and settled.

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Sep 2012 00:37:32
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

96 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  01:17:12  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
'The Warrens': an area beneath Waterdeep that is home to all sorts of 'small folk' Including - but not limited to - halflings, gnomes, and dwarves.

Eeeeeeenteresting. I'll have to think about that.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  12:31:05  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the idea the OP presented. Was long toying with something similar.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

DoveArrow
Seeker

96 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2014 :  17:13:38  Show Profile Send DoveArrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did a conversion of Book 2 as well. I'm mostly posting the link here because I lost my bookmark for it somehow and was having some difficulty finding it with a Google search. I found this post, though, pretty easily.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18138
Go to Top of Page

dmgorgon
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2014 :  16:53:16  Show Profile Send dmgorgon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone tried to run this module in the Dalelands, Moonsea, or even the Bloodstone lands?

If so what suggestions would you have? I'm really interested in giving this module a chance, but I often cringe at the thought of eventually having run a game in Waterdeep.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2014 :  07:40:14  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DoveArrow

I'm running The Drow War: Book 1 - The Gathering Storm, by Mongoose Publishing, in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting Third Edition. I have set the campaign in the North. Here are my notes for conversion so far.
Chillhame
Bronce
  • Starkweather John is a hero who fought back an invasion of the drow during the Crown Wars, when they first settled the area in -3917 DR.

The drow were not in any shape to invade anything until long after the Crown Wars. Okay, -3917 DR is long enough after the Crown Wars. It's the year of founding of Menzoberranzan, i.e. the early rise of theocracies out of smoking ruins into which the first drow communities tore themselves. But it's after The Dark Court Slaughter, so this would do - for a raid. And too early for a serious invasion to get a foothold - e.g. Twisted Tower was built only in -2549, and it was a big deal, the Night Wars in Calimshan began in -790.

Either way - this old, and is not just a vague legend? Also, why would that happens in the first place?
And who down there would be in a good position to act around Highstar Lake? Ched Nasad? It was founded only in -3843... by a splinter group from Menzo. Eryndlyn? When it was the last time they could afford to spend outside more efforts than it takes for a yearly raid? The Space Flea Riders From Nowhere via ever-present portals? While theoretically possiblle, would be a cop-out that doesn't make much sense.
quote:
Scumsgrove
  • Replace Scumsgrove with Llorkh.

• Lord Mayor Geildarr and his army of Lord’s Men are away from the city, dealing with a tribe of orcs that have been attacking merchants traveling through the Anauroch Desert, along the Black Road. Geildarr has left Hodgkiss, a local, Zhentarim businessman, as acting mayor of the city while he is away.

• Replace the Guild of Merchants with the Zhentarim. While Geildarr is away, they are the true leaders of the city, with Hodgkiss under their control.

• The constabulary are a group of Zhent soldiers, controlled by the Guild of Merchants.

• If the players convince the Zhentarim of the danger to the city, they send word to Lord Geildarr, who returns from his campaign immediately.

If they are trying to displace him (whether fully or reduce to figurehead), why would they call him back too early and give a chance to shine?
They aren't exactly a local thieves' guild or something, the Black Network can pull together resources and hire mercenaries.
Also, what do the Drow want that Zhents can't simply sell them? It's not like they don't have contacts in Underdark.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000