Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shadow Magic and the Shadow Weave... different?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  07:54:55  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Let me just start by saying that when I reference "shadow magic," I'm not talking about Illusion magic of the Shadow subschool.
I'm talking about Shadow Magic ala The Shadow Stone by Rich Baker.

I was just curious if these are supposed to be the same thing, or if they're inherently different? I ask because, reading The Shadow Stone, the description of shadow magic feels very different than everything we hear about magic cast from the Shadow Weave.

(I figured it would have been discussed back around the time Return of the Archwizards came out, but I didn't find what I was looking for via forum search).

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

-Baerendra Riverhand on The Story of Spellfire

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  10:44:31  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Shadow Stone is not the best example of shadow magic in the Realms. The novel was supposed to be set in Anuire from the Birthright campaign setting and then sort of got forced into Chessenta where it didn't quite fit. In Birthright, shadow magic functions differently than it does in the Realms.

That being said, it has been established that shadow magic and the Shadow Weave in the Realms aren't necessarily the same thing. Shadow magic is merely shadowy magic that can be fueled by the Weave or the Shadow Weave while Shadow Weave Magic is entirely separate.

You should check out the Class Chronicles articles by Eytan Bernstein for examples of shadow magic in the Realms.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 06 Jun 2014 10:50:05
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  10:49:16  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why force it into Chessenta, that area has never had a history of any involvement with Shadow Magic.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  10:52:30  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say it was because the fractious nature of Chessenta was most like Anuire.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  11:03:05  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a poor reason to locate a novel in that region. But then again i dont take notice of the novels or their events.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  21:30:27  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo
That being said, it has been established that shadow magic and the Shadow Weave in the Realms aren't necessarily the same thing. Shadow magic is merely shadowy magic that can be fueled by the Weave or the Shadow Weave while Shadow Weave Magic is entirely separate.

Also remember that there are numerous different kinds of 'shadow magic' that have been described over the years in realms novels. All of which come from a different understanding to or relationship with shadow. In short over the years its gotten to be a very muddled term.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  21:36:06  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would add my opinion that Shadow magic is not the same as using the Shadow Weave.

Psionics had shadow abilities, thieves had shadow ability, elves have had shadow magic. All of these did not use the Shadow Weave.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000