Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 my review of the Sundering *spoilers*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2014 :  20:43:20  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

If gods can come back from the dead, the Tree of Souls might not be as far gone. Of course resurrecting the Tree might need a great and mighty adventure.

But given the issues I have gain from the web, Mystra might want to make amends with Corelleon and the Elves for the troubles connected to her and her predicessors. Even if Shar was a major source of the problems. While she might not be able to duplicate the Tree (unless she can with the elven gods help), she might be able to create an artifact or series of artifacts which could duplicate most of the effects (again with elven help).

Of course, those might also need a great adventure as well.

Many of the non-human races have been setback but they have found bounce back. Say like the Elven version of the Dwarf's Thunder Blessing.

PS: When it comes to RSE, they break it but you/your heroes/your DM have to fix it... till wizards fix it. So ask your self, if Myth Drannor and the Tree of Souls are broken... how do you and your game fix it?

I'm not worried about how it impacts my version of the Realms. In my Realms the Shades are already gone, so it's not even possible for it to take place there. I also had the Elven Return be played out more realistically.

I mean, a foreign military power just deciding to show up on your door step isn't something Cormyr, the Dales, the Moonsea, and Sembia found particularly welcoming. Especially Sembians since they have a cultural dislike / hatred of Elves.

Their arrival upset the power dynamics in the region, and there were a lot of changes that reflected that - growing tension and animosity between all the neighbors. (Combined with a rise and surge of power of the Eldreth Veluuthra on the Elven side.)

So the way I handled things is completely different from canon. When I allowed the Tree of Souls to be planted in my Realms, it was a serious event that actually meant something important. I understood the full implications of what I was doing when I did it, and it wasn't some half-assed thing that was for shock and awe. It was an important and significant event - as it was canonically intended to be.

So, my concern isn't for my Realms. My concern is for the canon Realms. It bothers me a great deal that in the canon we have significant events occurring without any real consequence to them.

A bunch of nameless people die, boo-hoo. Most people seem to have already written them off. That falls under the heading: "One death is a tragedy; one million deaths is a statistic."

So a bunch of nameless and faceless people died. Okay. That happens everyday in the Realms, just like in the real world. What are the stakes? It's a character driven story. Elminster is the lead character. Hmm... is he in danger? No. Apparently not. He dies and gets resurrected (again?) by his goddess. Okay. So no consequences for Elminster.

What about the other signature (good guy) characters? None that I can see. Apparently, even Ilsevele makes it out alive. You'd think that the captain would at least go down with the ship, but no.

Okay, so what consequences does that leave us with, really? It leaves us with the destruction of the Tree of Souls and the fallout from the destruction of Myth Drannor - the last real Elven nation on Toril.

So, if there are no serious and permanent consequences of that, then that means there are no serious consequences of the story - nothing significant that really mattered was at risk. After all, since Elminster lives and if we allow the Tree of Souls to somehow be saved / fixed - then... nothing really was lost. Bad guys lose big time, good guys (who should also lose big time) sacrifice nothing, aside from a bunch of faceless and nameless people - that the other side also sacrificed... and what?

I feel like I'm sort of standing here, motioning with my hand, waiting for the shoe to drop. ...and nothing happens. So, I'm just left shaking my head in dumbfounded silence. I'm left with the feeling I get after every major RSE in which major things happen, but the obvious consequences are never explored because they would be bad... of course they would be bad! That's why blowing up things is bad in the first place! Argh!

If WotC is going to have RSE's in the Realms, then they should at least see them all the way through to their inevitable conclusions. The least they could do is show respect to the canon and the lore of the setting even as they blow it up.
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2014 :  21:50:03  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ Aldrick: my memory is a bit fuzzy but i think it's been already established in canon that the Tree can be moved after planting, i think it was in the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy? With Amlauril's son building a "secret haven" in northern Faerun that got promptly overrun by dragons or somesuch. My main point is, the problem of the impossibility of moving the Tree of Souls was already raised there and then and the canon response was "it can happen". So if it happened once it could happen again i think, and it's logical to assume that in the face of impending doom the elves would do everything to get the Tree to safety, let's hope they succeded.
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2014 :  23:34:45  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

@ Aldrick: my memory is a bit fuzzy but i think it's been already established in canon that the Tree can be moved after planting, i think it was in the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy? With Amlauril's son building a "secret haven" in northern Faerun that got promptly overrun by dragons or somesuch. My main point is, the problem of the impossibility of moving the Tree of Souls was already raised there and then and the canon response was "it can happen". So if it happened once it could happen again i think, and it's logical to assume that in the face of impending doom the elves would do everything to get the Tree to safety, let's hope they succeded.

No, that was a mistake in continuity. It was all ironed out and corrected in the Grand History of the Realms. Here is all the relevant information from the Grand History relating to the Tree of Souls.

quote:
c. -17600 DR
The Sundering: Hundreds of High Mages assemble in the heartland of Faerūn at the Gathering Place. Ignoring the lesson learned from the destruction of Tintageer centuries earlier, they cast a spell of elven High Magic designed to create a glorious elf homeland. On the Day of Birthing, the magic reaches its apex as the spell extends both back and forward in the mists of time. Faerūn, the one land, is sundered apart by the unbridled force of the Sundering. As a result, hundreds of cities are washed away, thousands of elves lie dead, and the face of Toril is changed forever. The name Faerūn, no longer the One Land, is given to the largest continent. Surrounded by vast expanses of water, the island of Evermeet, thought to be a piece of Arvandor and a bridge between worlds, breaks the surface of the Trackless Sea. Blessed by the goddess Angharradh, verdant forests and wildlife soon flourish across the island. Corellon Larethian wards Evermeet against Lolth, Malar, and the other powers of the anti-Seldarine and entrusts a unique seed to the Fair Folk of the isle. The seed soon sprouts, growing into a miniature tree known as the Tree of Souls. Over time, the souls of ancient elves who choose to stay on Toril, rather than pass on to Arvandor, merge into the Tree of Souls, slowly augmenting its power. Prophecies reveal that the Tree of Souls will someday be planted on Faerūn when the Fair Folk finally return to the mainland after a period of exile on the Green Isle.

1371 DR Year of the Unstrung Harp
Prince Lamruil of Evermeet, his human consort Maura Silverhand (daughter of Laeral Silverhand), and their followers travel to the far northern reaches of Faerūn to establish a hidden city called Auseriel. They bring the Tree of Souls with them, given to them by the prince's mother, Queen Amlaruil of Evermeet, intending to plant it at the heart of a new refuge for the Fair Folk once the city begins to flourish.

Year 1373 DR Year of Rogue Dragons
Mirtual 2: Auseriel comes under concerted attack by a family of white dragons led by the great wyrm Harashnalthyn. At Maura's insistence, Prince Lamruil returns the Tree of Souls to Evermeet, while the princess and their remaining followers provide a valiant rearguard defense.

1377 DR Year of Haunting
The Srinshee returns to Myth Drannor and offers Ilsevele Miritar the Rulers' Blade in recognition of her wise and resolute leadership in the realm’s refounding. Ilsevele humbly accepts the Rulers' Blade and takes the title of coronal. Queen Amlaruil arrives to congratulate the new coronal and brings with her the Tree of Souls as a gift to the new realm. The artifact is planted in a ring-shaped colonnade at the heart of the city known as Seldarrshen Nieryll, the Starsoul Shrine.

The point here is that, although Prince Lamruil took the tree with him, he never planted it. When Auseriel came under attack, they took the tree back to Evermeet, and from there it was delivered to Myth Drannor where it was planted.

The reason it was a problem and things had to be ironed out in the Grand History is because, as I previously pointed out, once the tree is planted it can't be moved. That means if Myth Drannor was sacrificed then so was the Tree of Souls. ...which is why I find it odd that the Elves would even entertain the idea - even if they were losing the war. It's better to lose and let the tree live, with hope to reclaim it in the future, as they did once in the not-to-distant past. Instead, they allowed Elminster to destroy the city and the tree.

As it was planted at the heart of the city, I imagine that the Shade Enclave hit it directly head on... which likely means there is nothing left of the tree but splinters and sawdust. To say nothing on how such an artifact would react to being destroyed, and the interaction with the Shadow Weave magic items in the city of Shade... it's likely that even the splinters are corrupted and tainted as a result of that magical interaction.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  00:59:19  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to hear what Ed says about the tree. There was an effort to save many of the elves before the Shade city fell; and deities/avatars/chosen were involved, so it's possible that the tree was saved too. Just because no one thought the tree could be moved once planted before doesn't mean that one of the Gods couldn't move it. Just it would be beyond mortal help.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  02:08:12  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I think part of the point of the novel is that the elves, in their own arrogance, caused all of their own woes...albeit thousands of years later. Had they not caused the Sundering to begin with, perhaps their place in Faerun would be more secure.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  02:13:48  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
don't forget about Sharandar, its still an elven city....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  03:59:26  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aldrick, read the book first (after you do, I don't think you'll be talking about Elminster's "plan" to crash Thultanthar, or the elves "allowing" him to do that), and then jaunt over to Ed's thread in the Chamber of Sages and ask him about the Tree of Souls.
Myth Drannor is NOT the last real elven nation on Toril, not even close. (Check out where those elves who "got out" were evacuated TO.)
I don't get the feeling that Ed ignores Realms lore. Fills in missing lore, corrects mistaken lore, explains things more fully, yes to all of those.
Reading your posts, you sound upset. The events of the novel ARE upsetting, agreed, but you haven't even read it yet!
So you might want to talk to Ed . . .
BB
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  04:09:51  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be interested to hear what Ed has to say about the tree too. In the novel, the Shrinshee agrees to let Elminster destroy the Mythal, saying that its worth losing Myth Drannor if it will save Faerun. Presumably she accepts that the tree will be captured along with the rest of the city, and that its a price worth paying.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  06:03:11  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
cities can be rebuilt.... as for the tree of souls, it was an artifact tied to the seldarine right..... they could ahve taken it in a blink of Corellon's eye back to arvandor.....

btw, the captain goes down wit hthe ship thing is a myth

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  14:23:03  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't read it, probably never will. But I've always found there's a very good rule of thumb for satisfying oneself with fiction:

If no reason is given for something, assume there is one.

From that follows lots of fun speculation. If we never get a reason, then we get to speculate forever. If we get a reason, then, well, we get a reason, and get to see how close we were.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447

Edited by - Mapolq on 04 Jun 2014 14:25:14
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  16:42:53  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished it. Sad about some things, but overall satisfied & hopeful for the future. I'm not worried at all about assorted top bad guys getting their swift comeuppance; presumably there will be plenty others to take their place in time.

Also, glad to see that not only Isevele but also Fflar survived. They are my current favourite couple in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  18:50:50  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks BenN I was wondering about that.

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  19:06:37  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Reading your posts, you sound upset. The events of the novel ARE upsetting, agreed, but you haven't even read it yet!

I'm not upset in the way you seem to think. I'm not angry or anything - I'm frustrated. It has less to do with this particular book, though that's the focus at the moment, and more to do with RSE's in the Realms. (A constant and endless source of frustration.)

The frustration arises from the fact that I don't particularly like it when things get blown up in the Realms, but when it happens I want the events to play out logically. I feel that when bad things happen in the Realms they are hand waved away, because they would be inconvenient.

A good example is how Zhentil Keep has been handled. How many times has it been destroyed? How many times has it been rebuilt? How quickly has it been rebuilt? How many times has it been destroyed shortly after being rebuilt?

Understand my position: I'm advocating for the Elves to be royally screwed over in the Realms right now as a result of these events. If I had editorial control over these events, the fallout would be horrific. It would basically be the end of the Elves as we know them, and I'd begin pushing them toward a phase where they start to look a lot more like the Elves in the Dragon Age universe. Where there would be two main groups of Elves. The first group would live among humans, in ghettos as second class citizens, and they'd forget most of their customs, traditions, and culture. The second group of Elves would live in small, secret, isolated pockets of the world trying to keep the Old Ways alive.

I'd strip them of their ability to use High Magic, their long lives, and their connection to the Weave. Their deities would fall silent and cease granting spells (for the most part).

Why? Because I think there should be horrific consequences for losing the Tree of Souls and Myth Drannor. This isn't something that happens, and then somehow magically everything somehow stays the same. It has to hurt as bad as can be managed. So bad that over the course of several years, people would constantly hear stories about Elven suicide - Elves who realize what they've lost, and just can't bare to live any longer.

That's the type of price I want to see the Elves pay for this loss. However, I'm confident that I won't even see even the tiniest glimmer of that... the world will keep on turning, the Elves will keep on as if nothing happened. And this entire event will become a footnote - just another Realms RSE, easily forgotten.

It's like planting the Tree of Souls in Myth Drannor in the first place. They did it because it was a 'big deal', but they didn't really want to explore the implications of planting the Tree of Souls. They didn't want to deal with the consequences of what it actually meant, or how that'd impact the Elves all across Toril.

The Tree of Souls is easy to forget - it was never mentioned in the novel, apparently, and no one brought it up until I mentioned it - because it was treated as a footnote. When in reality the planting of the Tree of Souls is something worthy of an entire trilogy of books, maybe a couple of trilogies just to deal with the implications.

This is the source of my frustration. RSE's don't mean anything in the Realms. It's just an excuse to do big things, get people to rush out to buy books, but ultimately - they don't really have any real consequences.

That's just not how I treat the setting, and it's the reason I'm so insanely glad that my Realms is so completely divorced from the canon Realms.

Or maybe after years of being a fan of a Song of Ice and Fire, I just naturally expect when people screw up for there to be bad consequences. Then I get frustrated when that doesn't happen because it feels like it doesn't matter and everyone gets off too easy and nothing was really at risk.

Maybe there are people who like playing in worlds where there are no serious consequences, and that things always turn out good for the 'good guys' no matter what - a world where there is always a 'happily ever after'. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people.
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  19:50:33  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aldrick, until 1375 DR the elves didn't have Myth Drannor and the Tree of Souls was essentially inert. You seem to be overreacting - there seems to be no reason to assume elvenkind is any worse off now than after the assaults on Evermeet and Evereska in the 2e/3e era.

And all nonhuman races have been pretty much doomed to find a way of peacefully coexisting with the world-dominating humans for a few centuries. That could mean ghettoes in some places, but it could also mean flourishing diverse communities like Silverymoon in others. Again, there seems to be no reason to assume what you state, and every reason to assume it will pan out in various ways across the Realms.

Your other point, though, is very spot-on, I think. RSEs are gimmicks, the geopolitical version of a MacGuffin. And it's an old and overused gimmick. The only saving grace I can see in using RSEs now is that which I argued some time ago - that the Realms could not be fixed without large amounts of cheese.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

Edited by - Mapolq on 04 Jun 2014 19:55:41
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  20:28:51  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mapolq

Aldrick, until 1375 DR the elves didn't have Myth Drannor and the Tree of Souls was essentially inert. You seem to be overreacting - there seems to be no reason to assume elvenkind is any worse off now than after the assaults on Evermeet and Evereska in the 2e/3e era.

I'm basically looking at the loss of Myth Drannor as if they had lost Evermeet in the 2e/3e era. We don't even know all of the power of the Tree of Souls, but it makes sense to believe that it is closely linked to the Elves and their deities.

I might have mentally jumped around a bit, because I've always tried to square the Tree of Life in Suldanessellar with the Tree of Souls. Draining the Tree of Life of it's power effectively was killing the Elves in the region. I mentally pictured the Tree of Life to be a sapling taken from the Tree of Souls, in an effort to try and forge a backup should something happen to the original. (Although a far weakened version of the original.)

As a result, if the Tree of Souls was lost it would have an effect not unlike the tampering with the Tree of Life had on the Elves in and around Tethyr. The main difference being the scope in that it would impact Elves across the entire world.

There is no canon to back that up, but we only know a little bit about the Tree of Souls and it's power. We know planting it is a symbol of the Elven Return - where Elves begin leaving Evermeet to return to the mainland (hence the portal it creates). That also likely means that Elves on the mainland would also start trying to make their way to Myth Drannor once it was planted.

That's the whole point of planting the tree. It's to begin forging an elf nation on the mainland, and officially ending the retreat.

This means that the majority of the vast bulk of the Elves are living in this region.

quote:
And all nonhuman races have been pretty much doomed to find a way of peacefully coexisting with the world-dominating humans for a few centuries. That could mean ghettoes in some places, but it could also mean flourishing diverse communities like Silverymoon in others. Again, there seems to be no reason to assume what you state, and every reason to assume it will pan out in various ways across the Realms.

Yes, I'd say Silverymoon would be an exception, but it wouldn't be the rule. Waterdeep might be another exception. It's hard to think of other places in the Realms, though, where Elves could easily co-exist in large numbers. Could you imagine them trying to co-exist in large numbers in Athkatla, Calimport, or even Suzail? Imagine hordes of Elven refugees flooding into the Dalelands, potentially out numbering or being roughly equal in number to the humans there. Refugee crises don't tend to go over well with the local inhabitants.

Then you're going to have elven groups like the Eldreth Veluuthra going after humans, recruiting disillusioned refugee elves who might blame the humans...

Basically, I can see the Elves temporarily being welcomed in the Dalelands, and maybe even Cormyr as well. However, the situation would be a powder keg waiting to explode, and there would be groups on both sides intent on lighting the fuse.

In fact, I'd probably argue that it's in the best interest of the Elves to focus on one of the Dales, and try to seize control of it. They could try to re-establish themselves there, and hopefully over time grow in power enough to retake Myth Drannor. However, that depends entirely on how many survived or are left in the region.

quote:
Your other point, though, is very spot-on, I think. RSEs are gimmicks, the geopolitical version of a MacGuffin. And it's an old and overused gimmick. The only saving grace I can see in using RSEs now is that which I argued some time ago - that the Realms could not be fixed without large amounts of cheese.

Yes, I'm not anti-the Sundering series as a whole. It was necessary to correct some things. I get the feeling that they're trying to revert the Realms back to a state similar to the original setting - pre-Time of Troubles.

I just don't like some of the choices they've made, and it's frustration built on the back of a long history of RSE's and the problem's they've caused for the setting. (Well, in my view at least, I'm fully aware there are some pro-RSE people around.)
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  21:13:29  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have the impression there's such a large number of elves to have the impact you suggest. The whole of Evermeet had a bit over a million elves, that's less than Cormyr, less than half of Amn, and almost five times less than Calimshan, all mostly human. Then of course not every elf from Evermeet returned, so we must assume only a few hundred thousand beyond the considerably smaller number who already lived in Cormanthor. Elves reproduce very slowly, so there hasn't likely been a population explosion, unless there's something stating the opposite. So the city of Myth Drannor is destroyed, but the rest of Cormanthor, as I understand, is pretty much still safe for elves (if casualties were removed to Semberholme, that seems to be the case?). I don't find it likely that most elves in Cormanthor were living in Myth Drannor anyways, probably only a few tens of thousands. Many of those would have died from the looks of it, and most of the others would likely be absorbed by Semberholme and the Dales... so we might be looking at a few thousand elven refugees leaving the area by the end of the year. At least that's how it looks from what I read on this thread.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  21:15:14  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aldrick, I think the only way you're going to get closure on this issue is to ask Ed directly (in his dedicated thread). Who knows, he may admit that the (existence of, or subsequent loss of the) Tree of Souls never crossed his mind while writing the Herald. Knowing Ed, even if it was an unfortunate omission, he'll work to correct any inconsistencies resulting from the Tree's apparent destruction in future works, as he is able (Just as we fixed Rich Baker's Tree of Souls oversight in the Grand History).

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  22:46:19  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for the numbers of Myth Drannor inhabitants involved, the 4E Campaign Guide says that there are 10K in the city. Using that as a baseline, say about 1-2K survived?
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  00:06:22  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why didn't Dove use her silver fire to heal herself? Seems a bit odd that she didn't given that Mystras Chosen are always healing themselves and others with it.
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  00:39:25  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mapolq -

I think I crunched some numbers awhile back here on Candlekeep regarding the likely population of Myth Drannor based on 3E population numbers. I'm hesitant to go by 4E numbers because they shifted radically from 3E. The shift in general was down - radically down.

Ah! I found it.

If we're going strictly by 4E numbers then the Elves have suffered a major depopulation in Faerun prior to this event. (As a result of the loss of Evermeet.) I mean, literally, we're looking at population levels that the Elves would have difficulty sustaining. This would make the loss of Myth Drannor even worse, because it would make sustaining those population levels even more difficult. Even if the bulk of them survive, due to their long breeding time, the difficult conditions they'd face as a result of being thrown from their home city (more will likely die as refugees - it's not like you just show up somewhere new with no infrastructure and suddenly ta-da civilization).

So, if we're generous and we assume that using 4E numbers that roughly 40,000 Elves lived in Cormanthor as a whole, and 25% of that number - 10,000 lived in Myth Drannor... Then 50% of that population survived (generous amount) that's 5,000 survivors who are refugees. From there, let's assume that for various reasons 10% of those die (again I think that's generous) that's 4,500 still alive who survived Myth Drannor. That means 44,500 Elves still alive in Cormanthor.

Now, this might not seem so bad, until you extrapolate out from that to the Elves in the rest of the Realms. If we assume that Cormanthor is the center of Elf-dom the way Evermeet was in prior editions, and we assume that 50% or so of the Elf population in Toril was there - as it was the largest Elf nation... that means that outside of Cormanthor there is roughly 50,000 or so other Elves on the entire planet.

At least if we're going by the numbers in previous editions. A big chunk of that number is sitting in Evereska, which now becomes the Elves last serious large city-state on Toril. Even if you don't count Evereska in those numbers that's still 116,500 Elves on the entire planet of Toril in total (also including the Elves in Cormanthor).

First of all, those numbers don't add up. Second of all, they're completely unsustainable for the slow breeding Elves.

Now, I know the canon doesn't really pay attention to the population numbers - they change (sometimes radically) with each edition. However, they're actually important if you're trying to figure out the power and ability of a kingdom or nation - or, for example, just how common Elves are in the Realms in general.

Now, I used the 3E numbers to try and get the population of Cormanthor and Myth Drannor after the Tree of Souls was planted. Here are the numbers I came up with...

The bulk of the Elves in the Realms were located in Evermeet. There were nearly 2 million Elves living over there. Evereska even had a larger population than 4E Myth Drannor - in 3E Evereska had a population of 21,051. (Ironically, that population actually grew in 4E to 22,000 - likely as a result of immigration to Cormanthor as a result of the Tree of Souls.)

I did a tally of all the Elves of Faerun that I could find and here is what I came up with...

I ended up with a total post-Spellplague population of 1,010,280 living in Cormanthor as a whole. I then estimated the city would have a population between 500,000 - 700,000 Elves during the time of 4E. This would largely be the result of immigration as a result of the Tree of Souls being planted and the establishing of an Elven Nation on Faerun. I also took into account that the Elves likely used food growing methods within their city to offset the need for farms which would require them to cut down the forest. (Likely through vertical farming methods.) So unlike in human lands, the bulk of Elves would live in cities rather than rural populations.

Those numbers are assuming that 47% of the Elves that were on Toril at the time of 3E are dead, missing (got pulled off to the Feywild, for example), or living elsewhere on the continent.

That's roughly a million Elves unaccounted for by those numbers.

Even if you cut my 3E numbers by roughly 25% that's still roughly 250,000 elves living in Cormanthor. If you assume that only 25% of those end up in Myth Drannor that's a population of around 62,000 - which sounds a lot more realistic than 10,000.

I mean... they're supposed to have reclaimed the city (or at least most of it). There is no way 10,000 Elves could even occupy a portion of the ruins. Not to mention reclaiming it and rebuilding it.

And of course they had the Tree of Souls, which - the primary purpose of planting it - was to begin having Elven immigration from Evermeet to the Mainland to occupy the new Elven Homeland. That's why it had a portal installed as part of it, and Evermeet - once again - had a population of nearly two million Elves.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  01:14:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard a rumor that a High Mage member of the Eldreth Veluuthra had been capturing and experimenting on pregnant tieflings. He uncovered the secret of Asmodeus' "curse" which forces all tieflings to breed "true" to the tiefling race. He developed a High Magic ritual that can be cast on elven males, such that if they mate with another race (for instance humans), the offspring will be a true elf instead of a half elf. He was uncovered after he surreptitiously cast it on several hundred males who were involved with human females (whether in a loving relationship or just a passing fling). It seems that a large number of these human females then had their child stolen from them (some claim by members of the Eldreth Veluuthra) immediately following its birth. It seems illusory magic was used to make the child appear to be dead, as well as hide the fact that the midwife was not whom she claimed to be. Rumors also held that some members of the Eldreth Veluuthra volunteered to have this spell cast upon themselves and then proceeded to attend numerous houses of ill repute (though the hatred by the members of the Eldreth Veluuthra would obviously preclude such actions... no matter how much some of them might enjoy raping human females). Of course, none of this could possibly be true.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  20:27:18  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Faraer, I'm not sure how much Ed has seen of the forthcoming rules and/or artwork, but off your questions go to him, and we'll see what he has to say.
BenN, Ed did send me replies to your questions, so . . .

SPOILER WARNING!

SPOILER WARNING!

SPOILER WARNING!

QUESTIONS AND ED'S ANSWERS:

1) Now that Shade has landed on top of Myth Drannor & destroyed it, what has become of the Tree of Souls?

Ed: Ah, yes. Over the years, I have been slowly trained to resist including every last game-relevant lore detail in my novels, in the interests of shaping a better narrative storyline. Guess I erred too far in pruning, this time around. Sorry; this should have made it into my final draft, but didn’t (in the interests of keeping the pacing and the “fog of war” feel up). My bad.
When the POSSIBLE danger of Thultanthar crashing became apparent (i.e. when the city started flying towards Myth Drannor, not when what El did became obvious) the Srinshee contacted all the Myth Drannan baelnorn she could and commanded them to get to the Tree of Souls and magically shield and defend it, warping the Weave to form a protective barrier around it (so when Thultanthar came crashing down, it would punch through the city like a spike, and protect the Tree). This was done, and the Tree has survived. There has been some consternation among certain readers about Myth Drannor being entirely in ruins, but not so. Like any city that’s been fought through, a big cleanup is in order, but Thultanthar is a pretty small city, and Myth Drannor, being “at one with the forest” [growing trees as dwellings, trees and moss and open forest terrain everywhere, not human-habit “pave over everything” architecture, is a very large (in footprint) city. So a relatively small area of Myth Drannor was pancaked under the shattered remnants of Shade.

2) Assuming that the 4e Campaign Guide info about Myth Drannor's population (10K) is correct, how many survived along with Ilsevele and Fflar?

Ed: The 4e population figures are ROUGHLY correct, but the siege took some time to develop (mercenary armies being mustered in Sembia and then marched north), so the elves had warning, so many of their skilled artisans, pregnant shes, young children and families with young children, ailing elderly, wounded, and so on, GOT OUT (to Semberholme first and foremost, and to Evereska and elsewhere, too). Anyone who wanted to relocate rather than fight was given that option, without shame or recrimination.
In other words, the city was down to 6,400 or so “determined and able defenders” before the siege started, and they took heavy losses in the fighting by being worn down under the weight of sheer numbers; although they were inflicting very heavy losses on the attacking mercenaries, they were slowly beaten back - - and the very “open” nature of the city made it very hard to defend. The Coronal sent some vital individuals out of the fighting by making them envoys that she sent to elven communities all over the Realms to try to get volunteer reinforcements (few of which arrived on time). So in that way she saved another hundred or so.
However, the defenders died rather than surrender or flee, so the elves still in the city were reduced to around 1000 when it became apparent that the city couldn’t be held, and the children, wounded, and elders still in the city were rushed out through the gates (as seen near the end of THE HERALD). The Coronal and Fflar were literally fighting back to back at the end, with a handful of defenders still standing, when Thultanthar came down - - and almost all of that last handful made it out to Semberholme.
So at the end of THE HERALD, a few blocks of central Myth Drannor are rubble, under the shattered remnants of Thultanthar. Scavengers (monsters) are roaming the corpse-littered vicinity, and there’s minor damage to the outlying city, which is abandoned - - probably not for long. The surviving mercenaries are foraging/pillaging/behaving like brigands, and Sembia is in such disarray that there’s no chance of Sembia (or for that matter, any other realm) “reaching in” to annex or occupy the ruins. Perhaps 5,000 elves perished defending Myth Drannor - - and yes, the Tree of Souls survives. All indications are that the Srinshee did not; she sacrificed herself to save her people and smash Larloch (did HE survive? Unknown, but my bet would be that he did). Did Dove? Doubtful; she was “out of” silver fire, and wanted to die (to be with her beloved Florin), but may end up surviving as “a voice in the Weave” (the same fate as some of the Tanthul princes, and possibly The Simbul).
Many things were left “up in the air” for later stories, or for DMs to decide for themselves, for their campaign. Certain matters will be revealed in my NEXT Realms novel.
Hope this helps. Sorry for causing upset to some Realms readers!
Ed

So saith Ed. And there you have it. Please convey this to Aldrick.
love,
THO

This is actually pretty good. I am *VERY* satisfied with the way Ed handled the Tree of Souls situation. That's very believable within the context of the lore and makes perfect sense.

I don't agree with the population details, but that's not an Ed issue that's a 4E issue. I think the population should be much higher considering that the Tree of Souls was planted there, and Evermeet is gone. If a chunk of those Elves in Evermeet didn't make it to Myth Drannor - that's roughly two million Elves that went poof. (And they had easy access to Myth Drannor thanks to the Tree of Souls.)

Not to mention they would have had need of all the Elven Craftfolk to actually rebuild the city, considering that the first settlers were a military force.

Anyway, that's a side issue. I'm very happy with the way the Tree of Souls issue was handled - it makes perfect sense within the context of the lore.

Since the Tree of Souls is still there, Coronal Ilsevele Miritar is still alive, and the damage isn't as bad as first thought - I can imagine an effort being made to reclaim the city within the next couple of years (game time). It makes sense for them to do that, since they can rely on support from Evereska.
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  21:57:23  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aldrick, I honestly can't understand where you came up with your numbers. Most of the elves who were in Evermeet didn't go back to Faerūn and massed up in Cormanthor, or that would have been felt much more strongly. Rather, from the wording we see, it's pretty clear that when Evermeet left Toril, the elves still there (most of the 1-2 million) left with it.

Then you have the elves who have always lived among humans and in isolated communities throughout Faerūn. Make a tally count using 3E population figures and percentages. I did a preliminary account, got to 920.000 elves outside of Cormanthor and Evermeet.

I'm thinking now you may be assuming the entire population of Evermeet used the portal to Myth Drannor, and the small population given in 4E must then reflect the fact that elven population has dropped radically. If that were the truth, then no Thultanthar was needed, the elves were doomed anyway. But I see no reason to think so. About the same million or so elves are probably living around Faerūn, and perhaps a few hundred thousand in Cormanthor, which now lost its capital and five thousand people, but is by no means destroyed.

You also say the elves will live in their cities instead of human-like farming, and that is sensible. But there is no reason to assume Myth Drannor was the only such settlement in the entirety of Cormanthor (excepting Semberholme). Leuthispar did not concetrate the whole 1,6 million elves who lived in Evermeet. They spred out through the territory in smaller and larger communities, and they used to do that in Cormanthor, the Wealdath, the High Forest, etc. as well. The 10,000 inhabitants given in the 4E FRCG might be a gross estimate (as they always are), but that doesn't mean it was actually 500,000. As for how 10-20 thousand elves could claim Myth Drannor, I would have to read the books about the Crusade to say, but I assume there was a larger contingent which did not stay in the city afterwards. And, honestly, an army of tens of thousands of elves is a force to be reckoned with. Myth Drannor was never "impossible" to conquer, it had never been retaken by humans because, honestly, there wasn't much point in losing so much to claim a piece of elven woodland and a corrupted Mythal. Plus, the remaining elves in the area would oppose it as well.

Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  22:25:38  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aldrick, I honestly can't understand where you came up with your numbers. Most of the elves who were in Evermeet didn't go back to Faerūn and massed up in Cormanthor, or that would have been felt much more strongly. Rather, from the wording we see, it's pretty clear that when Evermeet left Toril, the elves still there (most of the 1-2 million) left with it.

Yes, I got my numbers by adding in Evermeet numbers. I would have assumed that entire purpose of planting the Tree of Souls would be to encourage Elves to migrate from Evermeet to the new Elven nation. After all, one of the major functions we know about it is that it acts as a functional two-way portal between Evermeet and the location that it's planted.

Myth Drannor (at least always in my assumption) was a massive Elven city. It was also in ruins. Those that arrived were primarily military, and thus didn't have the skills to rebuild the city. That meant they needed crafters and specialists. Evermeet had those, and thus would have to send them over via the Tree of Souls.

Then there is the whole issue of actually occupying the city - not merely reclaiming it, but occupying it. Since the city is rather massive, that means you need even more Elven bodies to physically claim it. With only 10,000 I could imagine vast portions of the city completely unoccupied.

Due to the significance of planting the Tree of Souls, I figured that not only would Evermeet Elves show up, but so would other Elves elsewhere in the Realms.

Ultimately, I think a lot of things went wrong. I think WotC dropped the ball when they let the Tree of Souls be planted, and didn't consider the consequences of that event. That's how we ended up with 10,000 Elves. In reality those numbers should be much larger.

Like I said - I still considered roughly 50% of the Elves living elsewhere on Toril, dead, or missing (taken to the Feywild).

However, once again like I said previously, if you even take just a tiny fraction of my numbers you still end up with more Elves in Myth Drannor than in canon.

quote:

You also say the elves will live in their cities instead of human-like farming, and that is sensible. But there is no reason to assume Myth Drannor was the only such settlement in the entirety of Cormanthor (excepting Semberholme).

Yes, I assumed that a sizable portion would also be living elsewhere in Cormanthor - in other settlements. However, since Myth Drannor is the capital the bulk of the Elves would end up there.

I think a "realistic" population number for Myth Drannor (using my much smaller percentage) would probably be between 50,000-65,000 elves. This means scores and scores of Elves have been lost.
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  23:49:13  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that gets down to very subjective assessments. I just don't see more than, say 200,000 elves migrating to the whole of Cormanthor over the last century. Which would be more than enough to lay claim to the forest, by the way, given how sparsely populated it was before that. Myth Drannor is stated in Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves to count 54,000 permanent inhabitants during its height (650 DR), 80% of which were elves. Surely 10,000 seems a bit of a low number to make the entire place active again, but it seems clearly enough to make a claim and do rebuilding, and much more reasonable than a population in the hundreds of thousands.

If I were to make an estimate considering everything I read, I would like to put Myth Drannor's population at around 20,000, and Cormanthor as a whole at 250,000 or so. In 3E, we have around 45,000 elves living in Cormanthor, and the 1,100-strong community of Tangled Trees is considered large. Evermeet had 1,650,000 inhabitants, only 50,000 lived in Leuthispar. That doesn't suggest to me that 50%, or even 10% of the population of Cormanthor would be in Myth Drannor when it fell the last time.

Edited by - Mapolq on 05 Jun 2014 23:50:08
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  00:59:01  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, that gets down to very subjective assessments. I just don't see more than, say 200,000 elves migrating to the whole of Cormanthor over the last century. Which would be more than enough to lay claim to the forest, by the way, given how sparsely populated it was before that. Myth Drannor is stated in Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves to count 54,000 permanent inhabitants during its height (650 DR), 80% of which were elves. Surely 10,000 seems a bit of a low number to make the entire place active again, but it seems clearly enough to make a claim and do rebuilding, and much more reasonable than a population in the hundreds of thousands.

The larger numbers are what I used for my Realms. (Although in my Realms Cormanthor is a major player in the region, and there is lots of conflict going on between them, the Dales, and Cormyr - which conquered Sembia.)

Like I said at the end of my last post, 50,000 - 65,000 sounded like a more "realistic" number for Myth Drannor. Which seems to be confirmed by the source you sited, which stated that it had 54,000 at it's height.

If that's how many Myth Drannor had at it's height, they'd need roughly that same amount to reclaim the entirety of the city. Fewer elves than that, and portions of the city would be unoccupied.

Just imagine 10,000 people trying to occupy a city that was built to house 54,000. Picture how much of the city would be left as a ghost town. I don't even think you could argue that you "reclaimed it" more like "settled on the outskirts". You're looking at a situation like modern day Detroit.

Which just seems bizarre with the Tree of Souls planted there. Keep in mind, that's the entire point of the Tree of Souls. Once it's planted, the Elves are SUPPOSED to begin leaving Evermeet to go back to the mainland.

Oh well. It doesn't really matter in the end. At least we both agree that 10,000 is too few in number.

Edited by - Aldrick on 06 Jun 2014 00:59:49
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  01:18:31  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The city is a ruin for over 600 years. Most of the original dwellings will be unrecognisable, only the most resilient structures will actually be rebuilt, the rest will be basically settled from what's essentially virgin forest, with a ruined stone arch here and there, lost passages and so on. You don't need to settle the entire footprint of Myth Drannor at its height to say it has been reclaimed. If 20,000, or even 10,000 elves live there, restore the Mythal and the most important buildings, and settle a portion of the original "urban" area, while leaving some of the rest as woodlands, I don't see anyone in Faerūn seriously contesting that Myth Drannor was reclaimed. But I suppose at this point it is very open to interpretation.

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  23:40:59  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How did Srinshee die?
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2014 :  00:34:34  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

I was furious with the ending. Telamont is an extremely accomplished mage with all kinds of combat experience. Plus, he had just absorbed the power from every magical device in his throne room. Then Elminster comes along and pimp slaps him.

I was fine with Telamont being killed. He's awesome, and the Shadovar characters were a lot of fun to read about (especially from Kemp and de Bie). But they had their time to shine; now we must make way for new villains to develop and new empires to rise.

The way he was killed was preposterous, though. What should have been an epic spell duel was reduced to Telamont looking like a chump. He couldn't even get off 1 counter spell or effect Elminster in the slightest way. Elminster just beat him down and bullied him, without even exerting much effort.

Now I thought Larloch was being made into the main villain, because Larloch had already embarrassed Telamont and all of Shade's other mages at once (when he stopped them from draining the mythal and nearly killed them all with his crippling psionic power).

But after that incredible showing by Larloch, and his near draining of the mythal, BY HIMSELF, the Srinshee blasts Larloch ONE TIME and lays him low. Larloch is hurled a great distance away, and he's screaming from the agony of her spell.

Finally, Mirt the Moneylender spends hours talking to Manshoon, and easily distracts him until reinforcements show up. So with Cormyr vulnerable, and the Chosen distracted elsewhere, Manshoon is still completely incapable of winning.

And might I add, shouldn't Cormyr have been a wasteland??? All the previous Sundering books made it clear that Cormyr was losing the war to Shade. In "The Reaver", Cormyr has all but fallen. Then the Shadovar inexplicably allow Cormyr to recover, while they suddenly go after Myth Drannor. They could have dealt the deathblow to Cormyr, and then gone after Myth Drannor anyway. Was there some reasoning presented for this that I have overlooked?

In the final analysis, we have Larloch, Telamont, and Manshoon in the same novel. That should have been an epic, once in a lifetime experience. Instead, all 3 archmages are neutered by Mary Sue's, and they don't even put up a hint of resistance.

I've never been critical of Mystra's Chosen (or the Harpers) to the extent that many readers are, because I've always felt that plenty of evil archmages and power hungry organizations exist to balance them out. Now I've seen that I was wrong. Apparently, even the greatest sources of evil in the Realms can be casually smacked down by Mystra's Power Rangers. And to make things worse, Elminster is determined by the end of the novel to be more proactive than ever in hunting down evil.

This mirrors how I felt exactly.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2014 :  21:47:55  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was furious with the ending. Telamont is an extremely accomplished mage with all kinds of combat experience. Plus, he had just absorbed the power from every magical device in his throne room. Then Elminster comes along and pimp slaps him.
Me too. I not as much disappointed by what happened but how it happened.

The powers of the characters seemed to fluctuate however the story just needed them, with no continuity.

El just suddenly deciding (and being able) to pull shade out of the sky, just by wrapping himself in the weave and being anchored by two other chosen? Really? Why didn't he think about that when he and several fellow chosen were desperately attacking Shade during the Return of the Archwizard books? In hindsight their desperate spell battle against Telamont and the princes to gain control of the mythallar now seems rather pointless.
quote:

Finally, Mirt the Moneylender spends hours talking to Manshoon, and easily distracts him until reinforcements show up. So with Cormyr vulnerable, and the Chosen distracted elsewhere, Manshoon is still completely incapable of winning.
Well, that is still nothing to how badly he was humiliated by El during the Knights of Myth Drannor books. It's impossible to ever again take him as a serious threat after reading that particular scene anyway
quote:

And might I add, shouldn't Cormyr have been a wasteland??? All the previous Sundering books made it clear that Cormyr was losing the war to Shade.
For which I would also like to see an explanation. Cormyr has fought several wars against Shade/Sembia and was always an equal opponent. So why were they suddenly able to overpower Cormyr, the Dales and Myth Drannor all at once?

This "out of the blue power fluctuation" really grinds my nerves

quote:

Apparently, even the greatest sources of evil in the Realms can be casually smacked down by Mystra's Power Rangers.
Just curios, did you read the Knights of Myth Drannor novels?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000