Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Rise of the King Delay
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  04:09:09  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just a quick note. I just saw on Mr . Salvatore's Facebook page that Rise of the King release date has been pushed back until Sept 30th. No exact reason given, except it wasn't Bob's doing.

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  11:59:58  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh great another delay. As it is there are only a few FR books being published nowadays.
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  15:10:25  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not necessarily a bad decision, frequent releases of the same saga is great for fans but others might get burned out.

Finally completed my Drizzt collection
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  18:50:39  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't call twice per year frequent.

Looks more like WotC has no new novels in line for publication this year besides The Herald, Rise of the King and Fire in the Blood, so they decided to space them out a bit more. I wonder if Fire in the Blood won't be pushed back to November/December.

Probably also gives them more room for the new 5E game books.

Regardless, the lack of FR novels is pretty frustrating considering the various plotlines that have been left hanging pre-Sundering.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".

Edited by - Tanthalas on 20 May 2014 18:51:10
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  20:31:01  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I understand from posts on here is that Ed, Bob and Erin are the only authors actively writing Realms novels under WotC.

Why do I get the feeling that the Realms' end is near? Three authors can't shoulder the load.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  21:17:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by charger_ss24

From what I understand from posts on here is that Ed, Bob and Erin are the only authors actively writing Realms novels under WotC.

Why do I get the feeling that the Realms' end is near? Three authors can't shoulder the load.

Just because there are three authors active right now doesn't mean they're not going to bring in more, later... I'd expect that once the 5E FR Campaign book is announced, we'll see some more fiction coming.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  23:35:59  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

Looks more like WotC has no new novels in line for publication this year besides The Herald, Rise of the King and Fire in the Blood, so they decided to space them out a bit more. I wonder if Fire in the Blood won't be pushed back to November/December.

Fire in the Blood will still come out on October 14th (two weeks after Rise of the King).

I can't tell you why they moved Rise of the King, though.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2014 :  00:44:26  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by charger_ss24

Afaik RAS signed a 6 book contract after the last Neverwinter

Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2014 :  00:57:07  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErinMEvans
Fire in the Blood will still come out on October 14th (two weeks after Rise of the King).

I can't tell you why they moved Rise of the King, though.

That's good to know. I'd rather not have to wait longer to read more of Farideh. Hope the writing is going well.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2014 :  01:47:48  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's good to know. I'd rather not have to wait longer to read more of Farideh. Hope the writing is going well.

Fire in the Blood is with the proofreader. :) Thanks for asking.

I'd also point out that typically you don't get to see what's coming up until the catalogs come out--and they haven't. To my knowledge, WotC hasn't released any information about what's coming out in 2015, but that doesn't mean nothing's coming out. (I doubt very much that come July you'll discover that the next year holds a book a month, but I also know that there are things in the works that haven't been announced).

And for the record, I have books contracted through 2016. You're stuck with me for a while yet.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2014 :  05:50:45  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErinMEvans

Fire in the Blood is with the proofreader. :) Thanks for asking.

[...]

And for the record, I have books contracted through 2016. You're stuck with me for a while yet.

Awesome, can't wait to see Farideh continue to grow.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2014 :  09:33:53  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I concure here, Farideh has become one of my favorite characters. The Adversary was my introduction to her but once Im finished with the novel I'm on now I'll be running through the Brimstone Angels series.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2014 :  07:08:34  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The longer WoTC goes with this reduced novel output, the more other I look to find a replacement for those wholes in my reading regimen. I'm not just sitting on my hands waiting for them to come back. I hope Mrs. Evans and the other Realms authors who frequent these boards relay that message back to WoTC.
Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2014 :  02:02:27  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Haha! Oh man, I forgot how spoiled a person could get reading The Realms.
*shudders at the memory of the wait between A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons*

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

-Baerendra Riverhand on The Story of Spellfire
Go to Top of Page

yurilowell
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2014 :  21:56:52  Show Profile Send yurilowell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neo2151

quote:

*shudders at the memory of the wait between A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons*

Haha yes so true, could not agree more. I was slightly disappointed for about 3 seconds once I heard that Rise of the King was being pushed back a couple of months. Then, like always, memories of the FIVE year gap between Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons always remind me that 2 months is really nothing at all.

"It's a Drizzit!!!"

“Get him, ser, get him, get him, he's right there!!!”
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2014 :  17:25:06  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neo2151

quote:

Well, that was only marginally longer than the wait between A Storm of Swords and A Feast For Crows, that's when George lost a as a reader. Which in hindsight is good for me, now I can soon again be surprised by the TV series

Edited by - Mirtek on 28 May 2014 17:25:38
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  18:41:27  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been thinking about the inevitable fate of the orcs to become the standard evil race. The new orc king could round up all the orcs that supported Obould's Many-Arrows and have them executed.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  20:10:34  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

I've been thinking about the inevitable fate of the orcs to become the standard evil race. The new orc king could round up all the orcs that supported Obould's Many-Arrows and have them executed.

How is that supposed to make orcs innately evil? It's not like some greenskins are and some others aren't, so that executing the latter would prevent the remaining orcs from not merely being savage brutes. if a race is not innately evil, then it comes down to choice...
Or have I misunderstood you?

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 29 May 2014 20:15:00
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  00:25:06  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
^I thought 5E was going to turn the orcs back into one-note mooks.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  00:29:45  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

^I thought 5E was going to turn the orcs back into one-note mooks.

Yeah, but killing a lot of 'different' orcs doesn't prevent other orcs from choosing a different path than ''me smash stuff''. The only way to do that is a retcon.

EDIT: But yes, I guess they will get rid of the Many Arrows Orcs in some way, which is yet another waste.

Edited by - Irennan on 30 May 2014 00:32:58
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  03:23:27  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds less sloppy than a retcon. A regime built on terror, cemented by brainwashing--actual, psychological brainwashing--works just as well when you've got far wilder elements about the setting. Obould did have quite a few opponents within the orc tribes in The Orc King. There could be some deep-seated hatred toward the treaty, rooted in the orc psyche. That could be something worth exploring, in tandem with the executions and brainwashing.

I really did like Obould, though.

Edited by - Entromancer on 30 May 2014 03:48:58
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  03:50:04  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It sounds less sloppy than a retcon. A regime built on terror, cemented by brainwashing--actual, psychological brainwashing--works just as well when you've got far wilder elements about the setting.

But that situation would mean that an orc taken out of such context would still be able to choose his/her path (like a drow), depth that 5e is going to take away with its lame ''innate ebil-ness'', as far as I understand.

Edited by - Irennan on 30 May 2014 03:51:20
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  03:54:00  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for ways to ease into that innate evul. My idea would require several years worth of oppression and mental conditioning to reach that, I think.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  04:08:04  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I don't think that brinwashing can lead to 'innate evul', as there is always a possibility (it is hard -sure- but possible) to open a brainwashed, indoctrinated person's mind, while innate evil means that no change is possible.

I don't want to see Obould go, but -needless to say- I much prefer your idea to 'unredeemably, 100%, evil, one note mooks'.

Go to Top of Page

Regcod
Acolyte

Italy
28 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  08:12:57  Show Profile Send Regcod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Personally, I don't think that brinwashing can lead to 'innate evul', as there is always a possibility (it is hard -sure- but possible) to open a brainwashed, indoctrinated person's mind, while innate evil means that no change is possible.

I don't want to see Obould go, but -needless to say- I much prefer your idea to 'unredeemably, 100%, evil, one note mooks'.

So you consider an 'innate evil' unable to be redeemed??? ;)
Why not? It's really hard also in this case but on my vision of the world, all can happen. ;)

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet."
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  09:28:02  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Regcod

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

So you consider an 'innate evil' unable to be redeemed??? ;)
Why not? It's really hard also in this case but on my vision of the world, all can happen. ;)

What I meant for innate evil is what demons or devils are, impossible to change. It's not like drow/human/orc/..., who have choice; it's not the same as being prone to evil, in which case it is still avoidable. In the demon case, whatever you do, it won't change (it's basically a concept of evil incarnate). Maybe I used the wrong word, but that's what I was talking about.

This is a concept that I strongly dislike when applied to mortal races, because it completely removes choice on their side and turns them into mere monsters to throw at players, w/o any depth at all (something that people could easily do anyway in their campaign, but that lessen story opportunities in the setting).

Apparently orcs are going to be 'innately evil' in 5e, as there's a scene in the latest Drizzt book that hints at that (the one where Mielikki says something along the lines of 'all goblinkin are evil and nothing is going to change it').

Edited by - Irennan on 30 May 2014 09:37:58
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2014 :  12:43:59  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are demons and devils really impossible to change?

I think it's kind of strange that Planetars and Devas can fall but Demons and Devils can't "ascend".

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2014 :  13:21:51  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, AFAIK outsiders are basically concepts made flesh. An ascended demon sounds like its whole nature was changed, like a fallen deva.

In the cases where outsiders changed, were the changes out of actual choice, or induced by other factors (like deities/insert powerful being here altering their nature or corrupting them)? If the former, then I am wrong about innate evil.

Anyway, as I said, I don't particularly like this concept. It is pretty much a device that makes you say ''hey I can kill that human-like intelligent being without having moral consequences'', which is easily doable anyway in any campaign, but that limits character development and plot hooks for those races, if put in the published setting (and I'm not simply talking about Drizzt-like stories here).

Edited by - Irennan on 31 May 2014 14:52:56
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2014 :  14:57:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think it's kind of strange that Planetars and Devas can fall but Demons and Devils can't "ascend".

IIRC, the Planescape material had some fiends that had gone good.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2014 :  16:12:15  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

IIRC, the Planescape material had some fiends that had gone good.

Lorcan in the Brimstone Angels is kinda moving into a grey area as well, he is a cambion though (even though his mother is the devil).

Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2014 :  16:43:55  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only case that I can recall of a 100% demon not being evil anymore is Fall-from-grace from the Planescape Torment PC game (who was Lawful Neutral), but I'm not sure how cannon the game is considered to be.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000