Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Herald
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2014 :  22:09:52  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Maybe I'm just stupid but I thought The Herald wasn't due out until next month. I just picked up a copy at my local Books-A-Million. Now to hide in my cave for the next 2 days...

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2014 :  14:27:25  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mmm. I've got the kindle version on pre-order, and its due for release on June 3rd.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2014 :  01:55:59  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a copy at my store too. Odd! I think Candlekeep is going to explode (not literally and not a spoiler btw) once the sages get their hands on it. I had one major disappointment with the book but will wait until people are discussing the book here.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2014 :  03:16:10  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just one question. Some spoiler-ish reviews are already floating around and they (besides being not really encouraging about the book) say that (or at least it's what I understood from them):

SPOILER:All the seven sisters are alive and featured. So -being Eilistraee my favorite goddess- my question is: does that include Qilue? And if so, are there any hints about the Dark Maiden?

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 27 May 2014 03:44:19
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  18:33:31  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arrrggggh, the same 4e map, plague lands and all that does nothing at all to explain how the geography has changed. I'm still reading, I'll review later.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2014 :  12:44:28  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Irennan: SPOILER...Quilue and The Simbul did not make an appearance in the novel and nothing was said about Eilistraee wasn't mentioned.

Seravin: I thought it was a good book but there were some disappointments for me too.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 31 May 2014 12:45:11
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2014 :  12:56:14  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another question:

What is the status of Myth Drannor at the end of the novel?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2014 :  13:25:33  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

@Irennan: SPOILER...Quilue and The Simbul did not make an appearance in the novel and nothing was said about Eilistraee wasn't mentioned.

Heh, I should've known. SPOILERS All the seven sisters but Qilue (and the Simbul, but she kind of merged with Mystra at the end of Elminster Enraged, IIRC, so returning her would have been stupid), are there. That's just a big 'screw you' to Eilistraee fans.

Thank you for the info, tho.

Edited by - Irennan on 31 May 2014 13:26:07
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2014 :  13:37:15  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@BenN SPOILER: Myth Drannor is farruking destroyed. Shade was dropped on it, it's mythal drained and most of it's baelnorn slain. It was one of my disappointments with the book.

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2014 :  03:43:52  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Irennan, I disagree re. your comment about Eilstraee fans. From hints we've had from THO, it's more likely there's another story in the works about that goddess that we haven't seen yet. Let's see what the "new Realms" of 5th edition has to say before we start twisting the LACK of something in a novel into an attitude directed at Eilstraee fans.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2014 :  03:48:21  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Irennan, I disagree re. your comment about Eilstraee fans. From hints we've had from THO, it's more likely there's another story in the works about that goddess that we haven't seen yet. Let's see what the "new Realms" of 5th edition has to say before we start twisting the LACK of something in a novel into an attitude directed at Eilstraee fans.
BB

If I may ask, what hints have we been given that she's coming back in another story?
Anyway, when you see all the seven sisters but Qilue back (the Simbul doesn't count because of what happened in Elminster Enraged), then -to me- it does look like they're singling Eilistraee out (that is, if we consider what the designers behind the latest drow sourcebook, who tried and even produced the lore to bring E and V back, said about WotC not having any interest in her...).

I probably used the wrong word, but what I mean is that I get a 'Nope, Eilistraee won't be in the 5e Realms' kind of vibe from this. I do hope to be proven utterly wrong, tho.

Edited by - Irennan on 01 Jun 2014 04:16:25
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2014 :  03:56:45  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. One of those hints would have been me, saying this (in a PM to Blueblade, because he asked):

Ed tells me it's HIGHLY likely we haven't seen the last of Eilistraee.

So I can see where Blueblade formed that impression.

And I happen to know that in the initial outlining stages of The Herald, Ed was specifically being asked to prune back the cast of "big-name" characters onstage. Partly to keep the book from becoming unwieldy or too long, and partly because of other, still secret plans. My own guess is that Eilistraee is part of those.
But I could be wrong. There are things Ed can't talk about, and when we're face to face he has a way of grinning and shaking his head to signal when I've asked about one of them . . . and he has done this when asked about Eilistraee (who was his creation, remember).
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 01 Jun 2014 03:57:26
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2014 :  04:14:22  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Heh. One of those hints would have been me, saying this (in a PM to Blueblade, because he asked):

Ed tells me it's HIGHLY likely we haven't seen the last of Eilistraee.

So I can see where Blueblade formed that impression.

And I happen to know that in the initial outlining stages of The Herald, Ed was specifically being asked to prune back the cast of "big-name" characters onstage. Partly to keep the book from becoming unwieldy or too long, and partly because of other, still secret plans. My own guess is that Eilistraee is part of those.
But I could be wrong. There are things Ed can't talk about, and when we're face to face he has a way of grinning and shaking his head to signal when I've asked about one of them . . . and he has done this when asked about Eilistraee (who was his creation, remember).
love,
THO

Thanks for the explanation, it's a bit of relief. I just hope that if there are plans to get Eilistraee back, they will be included in 5E Realms, and that we won't have to wait other 6-7 years to see something.

But thanks again.

Edited by - Irennan on 01 Jun 2014 04:16:34
Go to Top of Page

Regcod
Acolyte

Italy
28 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2014 :  09:31:04  Show Profile Send Regcod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are many things that couldn't die like that. How many times Mystra died and then reborn? She has been a little lazy lately, beacause took a longer holyday before return to work... :P
But I don't think that she's the only one... sometimes also gods can rest a little... but not only ;)
I was evere amazed by Myth Drannor and all the city that took it's example. Now has been yet destroyed? The 'myth' never die and also the city will reborn some day, and maybe this time will be preceded by Ascalhorn, who know? :P
Eilistraee disappeared forever?? MMhhh... I don't think so, like some other 'person' and 'places' that could came back :P
We must have patience and wait for see what will happen, there are so many stories that could be yet written ;)

These, obviously are only my thoughts :)

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet."
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2014 :  15:18:05  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Regcod

We must have patience and wait for see what will happen, there are so many stories that could be yet written ;)

These, obviously are only my thoughts :)

5E FR is supposed to be about inclusiveness, to bring back the valid and cool elements of the Realms that were unjustly removed and go forward with them (or so we have been told). This is the perfect opportunity to reintroduce Eilistraee and Vhaeraun and give the realmsian drow back the depth and variety that made them unique. If the 'plans' mentioned in the above posts don't come into being for this era of the FR, then it will tell us about WotC's stance towards drow.

Also I'm disappointed that Halruaa wasn't even mentioned during this series too.

Edited by - Irennan on 03 Jun 2014 15:21:49
Go to Top of Page

Devvra
Acolyte

Poland
3 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2014 :  18:27:43  Show Profile Send Devvra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This book has broken my heart into little pieces.

Why. Just, why.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000