Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Naval combat in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Libelnon
Acolyte

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  21:52:31  Show Profile Send Libelnon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, the party in my present game may well be travelling toward or around Luskan soon, and I was wondering: what is naval combat like in the realms? Are cannons commonplace, or are they reserved for the best equipped ships? Rams? Other artillery?

Looking for someone to bounce ideas off regarding a first-time campaign in the FR universe, using 3.5 and set in 1372DR.

If you're willing to help out, feel free to PM me.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  22:38:40  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cannons, what world are you in?
While it is possible that enough smoke powder could be carried, there clearly still remains the problem of on a cannon of good enough metal to not blow apart.

In general naval combat involves ramming, grappling and/or boarding, however some warship do carry ballista (or other missile fire weapons) and even rarer a catapult or a spell caster with something that could be worst then a cannon.

Edit: Fixed some typing errors.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 06 May 2014 23:48:45
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  22:38:56  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had a long post, stupid phone caused me to click reset form instead of the keyboard letter I want. Long story short since I'm not writing it all again: according to limited knowledge from Drizzt books and other reading cannon are unreliable and dangerous, not to mention very rare. If you have a powerful magic user and they don't you win, otherwise it is ancient naval combat with ramming, boarding, arrows, and maybe a small catapult or trebuchet, with boarding the other or ramming and sinking being the end goal. Fire might be useful too, alchemist's fire could do a good stand in for Greek fire if you get enough of it.

My bet would be galleys driven by oars are more common than exclusively sail driven ships, so galley tactics of breaking the enemy's oars to leave them helpless against ramming is probably popular. You could draw inspiration from the way naval warfare was fought from Ancient Greece through the Hundred Years' War and probably be justified, but I'd steer clear of age of sail style cannon broadsides and tall ships. That said, if that sounds more fun to you and your players then in your realms let cannon be more prevalent and go for it!

Edited by - idilippy on 06 May 2014 22:42:24
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  23:30:43  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-A halfway decent magician in probably the best thing for a naval vessel, both offensively and defensively. At a relatively low level (3e), a magician might be able to cast these spells, all of which would help sway a battle slightly or in a major way:

Animate Rope (1st Level)
Darkness (2nd Level)
Grease (1st Level)
Fog Cloud (2nd Level)
Flame Arrow (3rd Level)
Flaming Hands (1st Level)
Fireball (3rd Level)
Invisibility Sphere (3rd Level)
Lightning Bolt (3rd Level)
Major Image (3rd Level)
Rope Trick (2nd Level)
Silent Image (1st Level)
Sleet Storm (3rd Level)
Spiderwalk (2nd Level)
Stinking Cloud (3rd Level)
Water Breathing (3rd Level)
Wind Wall (3rd Level)

Better and cheaper than a cannon.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  23:53:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The naval combat rules that are written in some 3.5e sources don't take into account certain factors that drastically change naval combat due to spells. The chief issue is that ships are a confining space. Wizards have area effect spells. Typical sailors have very few hit points. So, if you can find a low damage but high area effect spell (or metamagically enhance a spell for such with widen or enlarge) you can decimate another ship. Back in 2e, snilloc's snowball swarm had a 30 foot radius (so its total area was more than twice that of a fireball), so it was a great spell to use against a ship to wipe its sailors and not destroy the ship. In 3.5e, an enlarged cone (like cone of cold) can have similar effects if shot directly down the bow of a ship.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2014 :  00:34:33  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Taking area of effect spells into account would add to the oar-driven galley as the norm, as pretty much every area of effect spell is stopped by walls. Having a two, three, or more decked galley allows the crew to be protected from spells as there would be no line of effect or sight for an enemy wizard. Alternately, if a nation was able to develop even basic cannon the need for protection from magical attacks could develop something similar to the Korean turtle ships.

One thing I wonder about, are there enough large nations in the Realms willing and able to invest in a large navy? Ships tend to be pretty expensive to build, develop, and maintain, and the Realms always seemed to me to be a world with many more city states and smaller nations than large ones. I could see Amn, Tethyr, and Calimshan in the south (particularly Tethyr with it's massive forests) having the manpower, wealth, and desire to build large navies, and Cormyr and Sembia on the Sea of Fallen Stars, but when you're talking about the north the potential sea powers are city-states like Baldur's Gate, Luskan, Neverwinter, and Waterdeep. Given that, I wonder if naval development in the northern Sword Coast involves a whole lot of time, money, and manpower spent on warships. I'd imagine most every sailing ship is designed as a merchant ship first, since even for a massive city like Waterdeep it'd be very expensive to keep a large complement of ships that are only there to fight other ships. Rather I'd imagine if war was brewing the fleets of merchant ships would be stocked with soldiers and provisions instead of cargo, maybe weapons would be added to some of them, and if the city could afford it adding mages to each ship.

I'm kinda turning this into a wildly swaying, stream of consciousness post, but one thing I remember about wizards is, for less powerful wizards, concentration checks to cast while on a ship in the middle of combat could be tough. There are also distance worries for some spells, a wizard casting some things has to be close enough to be in danger of enemy archers, or just an enemy apprentice with a wand of magic missile readying to disrupt enemy casters. I know cloud sort of spells are less effective at sea given the speed of the ships involved.

Finally, to cap this wildly swerving post off, if you can check out Stormwrack for 3.5e naval and sea adventuring rules. It's a pretty awesome book, and probably deals with these mechanics way better than we can think up.

EDIT: One thing to add regarding magic. If you are dealing with double digit leveled casters, or worse with epic or near epic level casters, pretty much anything related to real world naval combat has to be scrapped. You get someone capable of pulling off greater invisibility, passwall or a wood shaping spell, water breathing (or polymorphing into a water elemental), and flight and you end up with just random holes appearing below waterlines. And that's just one possible application of a fairly powerful spellcaster. With epic spellcasting you might have a spell capable of destroying an entire fleet in one go from half a continent away.

Edited by - idilippy on 07 May 2014 00:44:29
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2014 :  01:01:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Magic use in combat should be rare, maybe 1 of 10,000 can cast any spell. Of those that would take the chance of being a sailor the odds of any spell caster being on a ship are very low. Even warships unless very wealthy could not afford to have a spell caster on every warship. Civilian, merchant ships at best there might be one the knows herbs or so field healing.

Magic clearly changes a battle and greatly, however magic often would not be available to most ships, raiders or raided.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ilmarinnen
Acolyte

Ukraine
29 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2014 :  09:26:13  Show Profile Send Ilmarinnen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made once a DnD naval combat compendium for myself and my company. Unfortunately in Russian and I am currently not in a mood to translate it completely.
In short, you can represent in in on of three styles.

Low-magic style (1-4 CL)
--------------------------
Traditional ship types. Galleys for internal sea and carracks (like "Great Harry") for high seas. Extensive use of alchemical fire weapons. Dragonbreath arrows and bolts, firebombs and firepots, flamethrowers for close combat. In equal conditions ships are expected to follow the "linear tactics", sending swarms of incendiary arrows and bolts, causing multiple fires, while special units attempt to put them out.
Most powerful spell - web. From 130ft (if you are allowed you can wrap a great part of enemy's crew in a net, then burn them..)

Mid-magic style (5-8 CL)
--------------------------
Very, very destructive! Fireball, blistering radiance, energy ball, scintilating sphere.. One, who manages to hit first often wins the war. Clerics can attempt to upset enemy's ship using control water. Etc. Use-activated magical ammunition, carrying the listed spell are expensive but extend the range greatly.
You are encouraged to use magical propulsion, like theurgeme from stormwrack, or magical wind to fill the sails.
Use "stealth technology", through disguise ship spell of Veil of obscurity.
In short, numbers do not matter here but the ship design and optimization.

High-magic style (9+ CL)
---------------------------
You do not need naval combat here. Scry and teleport.

Edited by - Ilmarinnen on 07 May 2014 09:30:31
Go to Top of Page

Ilmarinnen
Acolyte

Ukraine
29 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2014 :  09:30:11  Show Profile Send Ilmarinnen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also using naval aviation can change the tactics greatly. If not directly throwing firebombs and flechettes onto enemy's decks, then at least for recconnaissance.
If you can not employ a rider with a griffin, try at least to recruit into a crew an aaracocra or avariel.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2014 :  11:58:51  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were "Of Ships and Sea" and FR "Pirates of Fallen Stars", try to get yer paws on 'em.

quote:
Originally posted by Ilmarinnen

If you can not employ a rider with a griffin, try at least to recruit into a crew an aaracocra or avariel.
Where you'd get an Aaracokra on the Western coast of Faerun? Let alone Avariel. Now, in the Fallen Stars even the latter is somewhat plausible, and there's an Aaracokra colony almost within the sight of the water.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Libelnon
Acolyte

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2014 :  19:12:13  Show Profile Send Libelnon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the replies guys, the pointer toward Stormwrack was incredibly useful.

And yeah, the blunder with the cannons is because the old campaign I was running was set in a 16th-century based setting, where blackpowder was a lot more commonplace than the realms, and I believe historically cannons were quickly adopted in naval warfare.

Looking for someone to bounce ideas off regarding a first-time campaign in the FR universe, using 3.5 and set in 1372DR.

If you're willing to help out, feel free to PM me.
Go to Top of Page

Ilmarinnen
Acolyte

Ukraine
29 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2014 :  19:12:26  Show Profile Send Ilmarinnen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not mean exactly this endevour. It's a general recommendation. One may use a flying carpet, a hawk or raven familiar with a Chain of eyes spell, or guess something another to provide air surveillance.

If respected Libelnon will tell the ECL of the party, the sources allowed\restricted, other travel conditions - is the ship their property, do they simply rent cabins in a merchant ship, is it a specially despatched warship? we'll be able to provide some more exact recommendations.
Go to Top of Page

Ilmarinnen
Acolyte

Ukraine
29 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2014 :  19:15:45  Show Profile Send Ilmarinnen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In FR smokepowder is very, very expensive. Shot from a small bombard (just the gunpowder, without a bomb) costs 64gp, from a bigger one 320gp.
Thus the shot must be really, really worth of it! Simple cannonballs and grapeshot are not worth of such expensive stuff as smokepowder.

historically cannons were quickly adopted in naval warfare.

Google "siege of Chioggia". 1380. However not yet for ship vs ship, but to bombard ground fortifications.

Edited by - Ilmarinnen on 07 May 2014 19:18:42
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2014 :  23:06:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

Taking area of effect spells into account would add to the oar-driven galley as the norm, as pretty much every area of effect spell is stopped by walls. Having a two, three, or more decked galley allows the crew to be protected from spells as there would be no line of effect or sight for an enemy wizard. Alternately, if a nation was able to develop even basic cannon the need for protection from magical attacks could develop something similar to the Korean turtle ships.

One thing I wonder about, are there enough large nations in the Realms willing and able to invest in a large navy? Ships tend to be pretty expensive to build, develop, and maintain, and the Realms always seemed to me to be a world with many more city states and smaller nations than large ones. I could see Amn, Tethyr, and Calimshan in the south (particularly Tethyr with it's massive forests) having the manpower, wealth, and desire to build large navies, and Cormyr and Sembia on the Sea of Fallen Stars, but when you're talking about the north the potential sea powers are city-states like Baldur's Gate, Luskan, Neverwinter, and Waterdeep. Given that, I wonder if naval development in the northern Sword Coast involves a whole lot of time, money, and manpower spent on warships. I'd imagine most every sailing ship is designed as a merchant ship first, since even for a massive city like Waterdeep it'd be very expensive to keep a large complement of ships that are only there to fight other ships. Rather I'd imagine if war was brewing the fleets of merchant ships would be stocked with soldiers and provisions instead of cargo, maybe weapons would be added to some of them, and if the city could afford it adding mages to each ship.

I'm kinda turning this into a wildly swaying, stream of consciousness post, but one thing I remember about wizards is, for less powerful wizards, concentration checks to cast while on a ship in the middle of combat could be tough. There are also distance worries for some spells, a wizard casting some things has to be close enough to be in danger of enemy archers, or just an enemy apprentice with a wand of magic missile readying to disrupt enemy casters. I know cloud sort of spells are less effective at sea given the speed of the ships involved.

Finally, to cap this wildly swerving post off, if you can check out Stormwrack for 3.5e naval and sea adventuring rules. It's a pretty awesome book, and probably deals with these mechanics way better than we can think up.

EDIT: One thing to add regarding magic. If you are dealing with double digit leveled casters, or worse with epic or near epic level casters, pretty much anything related to real world naval combat has to be scrapped. You get someone capable of pulling off greater invisibility, passwall or a wood shaping spell, water breathing (or polymorphing into a water elemental), and flight and you end up with just random holes appearing below waterlines. And that's just one possible application of a fairly powerful spellcaster. With epic spellcasting you might have a spell capable of destroying an entire fleet in one go from half a continent away.

I was about to point out that flight and invisibility can get rid of advantages like forecastles in the case of area effects. There was also a spell that teleported (limited range) you in and auto teleported you out X rounds later in 2nd edition. However, yes, if you have "layered" ships where not all of your rowers are exposed, then it becomes harder to decimate the ships. However, once the top crew is removed, the ship is effectively blind. This does make me wonder though if things like periscopes might have come into use in the realms

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ilmarinnen
Acolyte

Ukraine
29 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2014 :  23:37:24  Show Profile Send Ilmarinnen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a ship you've described in Stormwrack. A dwarven ironclad. With a speed of 1 knot it is unable to struggle most winds and currents.
Still, I guess? it may be used in lakes?
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  05:08:40  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ilmarinnen

In FR smokepowder is very, very expensive. Shot from a small bombard (just the gunpowder, without a bomb) costs 64gp, from a bigger one 320gp.
Thus the shot must be really, really worth of it! Simple cannonballs and grapeshot are not worth of such expensive stuff as smokepowder.

historically cannons were quickly adopted in naval warfare.

Google "siege of Chioggia". 1380. However not yet for ship vs ship, but to bombard ground fortifications.

Yup. I don't see many cannons in naval warfare in Faerūn, but that's mostly because smokepowder technology is still highly restricted and expensive in the late 1300s. If one has the money, though, and no obvious alternative, it'd be as good a solution as it was in the late Middle Ages.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  07:47:53  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just want to point out tha John Flannagans 'Brotheband Chronicles' deals with a Skandian (his Scandanavian/Viking folks) who develeops the first triangular sail. It's excellent source for really capturing the feel of naval combat and adventuring on the sea.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Cbad285
Learned Scribe

160 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  08:34:01  Show Profile Send Cbad285 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see a lot of people here saying how cannons and the like are not possible. Thats just not the case. There is plenty of information out there to develop rules for cannons. You as a dm just have to decide if black powder is available in your game or not. Im playing in a 15th century realms game now and cannkns are availble. However they are extreamly expensive.

"Beware the Dream Fever!"
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  12:34:25  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cbad285

I see a lot of people here saying how cannons and the like are not possible. Thats just not the case. There is plenty of information out there to develop rules for cannons. You as a dm just have to decide if black powder is available in your game or not. Im playing in a 15th century realms game now and cannkns are availble. However they are extreamly expensive.

Cbad285, the point is that Ed Greenwood, the creator of the Realms, said that physics work differently in the Realms, and gunpowder doesn't work there. However, a magical variant known as smoke powder works, but being a magical item, it is extremely rare. Of course you can opt not to follow these guidelines in your game, but that is what is officially written.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  13:38:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
Originally posted by Cbad285

Cbad285, the point is that Ed Greenwood, the creator of the Realms, said that physics work differently in the Realms, and gunpowder doesn't work there. However, a magical variant known as smoke powder works, but being a magical item, it is extremely rare. Of course you can opt not to follow these guidelines in your game, but that is what is officially written.

It's actually written canon, too --

quote:
The physics of the Realms are slightly out of synchronization with the rest of the planes, so that many technological devices which operate on electronics do not function. Equivalent devices may be developed by player characters. DMs should put some thought into what they will allow into their campaign worlds. DMs may choose to eliminate the use of gunpowder (or its magical equivalent, smoke powder) from the Realms, at their option.

-- Page 9 of Running the Realms, in the 2E FRCS

quote:
The physics of the Realms are slightly out of sync with the rest of the planes, so that gunpowder and many technological devices which operate on electronics do not function. Equivalent devices may be developed by player-characters. DM’s judgment is advised as to what may be allowed into the world.

-- Page 9 of DM’s Sourcebook of the Realms, in the 1E FRCS

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  15:00:09  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a bit moot to discuss those quotes as pertains to gunpowder, though, as we also have a canonical, non-magical mixture made of sulphur, saltpeter and charcoal that goes "boom" when packed tight and lit. Call it whatever you want (they call it smokepowder, but it could be a different smokepowder from the one that's said to be magical).

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447

Edited by - Mapolq on 08 May 2014 15:01:26
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  15:25:55  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to take the view that the ease and availability of magic in Faerun (which is a high magic world), has retarded technological development to a point where they have no need to advance beyond the middle ages.

Magic can perform all sorts of wonders that modern technology can do (and more), but it is cheaper and more reliable than the early stages of technological advancement. Therefore why bother fiddling around with technology.

So for me smokepowder and gun powder are the same thing. But whereas for a cannon you have to manufacture the cannon itself then create the gunpowder and the cannonball (any of these items could cause a failure), for a fireball you just need to hire a mage.

In the early stages its a no brainer, you hire the mage.

And so magic remains abundant and technology is restricted and expensive and very much specialist.

There will never be an industrial revolution in Faerun unless magic becomes less abundant or more unreliable. So the spellplague would have been the perfect time for a technological revolution, but since i dont do anything after 1371 it aint happening in my game.

Doesnt mean i wont on the odd occasion have a few nutty pirates with a magic phobia sail the seas with a 40 cannon galleon and really annoy my PCs.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2014 :  00:04:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just to note, in regards to cannons, there are bombards.... admittedly a poor and unreliable cousin.... brought to you by your friendly neighborhood Thayan.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2014 :  01:12:52  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thayans also have a ship that has several cannons.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2014 :  03:41:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Thayans also have a ship that has several cannons.

Ah, yes, the Thayvian bombards. [As per Forgotten Realms Adventures and Pirates of the Fallen Stars.]

They're amongst my favourite fantasy ship-types.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2014 :  03:43:52  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weren't the Thayvian bombards ones that work on liquid propellant and are so ungodly overweight they are good only for coastal artillery?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Ilmarinnen
Acolyte

Ukraine
29 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2014 :  08:33:36  Show Profile Send Ilmarinnen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Weren't the Thayvian bombards ones that work on liquid propellant and are so ungodly overweight they are good only for coastal artillery?

This is an export variant (as I remember these were mentioned in "Pirates of Fallen Stars"?).

Bombards utilised in Thayan ships and fortresses have weight of 500pounds, rate of fire 10 rpm, utilise telekinesis spell to push the cannonball or bomb and do not require additional supplies. This is the best artillery piece in FR!
Unfortunately, not exported.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2014 :  01:47:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

From Spellbound

The Red Scourge

This vast and terrifying vessel is the new pride of the Thayan navy. Built of shining, enameled red iron, kept afloat by magic, and powered by captive extraplanar beings, the Red Scourge mounts numerous small Thayan bombards and a large crew of human warriors but has yet to be tested in battle. Many nations, especially Aglarond
and the naval powers of the Sea of Fallen Stars, would pay well for information on this mysterious vessel which, if set in motion, could strangle sea trade to a trickle.

<snip>

21. Bombards
This deck contains 24 light Thayan bombards, 12 on each side. Each inflicts 5d10 points of damage. Each bombard requires a crew of two.
A vessel hit by a light bombard must make a seaworthiness check at a +10% bonus. If the check fails, the vessel is hulled and sinks in 1d10 turns unless repairs are made.

Stout iron lockers in the center of the deck contain 500 rounds of ammunition#151; metal spheres containing a flammable alchemical preparation. These lockers are sealed and enchanted with the equivalent of a ring of fire resistance so that fires or enemy attacks will not inadvertently set the ammunition off, a disaster that might destroy the Red Scourge entirely.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2014 :  08:38:15  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's the one!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2014 :  04:56:30  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Magic use in combat should be rare, maybe 1 of 10,000 can cast any spell. Of those that would take the chance of being a sailor the odds of any spell caster being on a ship are very low. Even warships unless very wealthy could not afford to have a spell caster on every warship. Civilian, merchant ships at best there might be one the knows herbs or so field healing.

-What? And why? I don't see why magicians operating on board boats would be rare. Magic in the world is generally plentiful, with a huge amount of spellcasters out there, ranging from people that can barely cast little cantrips, to magicians that can snap and make things teleport to other planets. It also represents a distinct advantage over those without access to it, because of its ability to basically rework reality in a variety of ways. When trade or conflict are involved- two of the major uses for boats- those with access to the means are going to do their best to arm themselves with the greatest advantages. That might mean magic. For a few coins, merchants can hire ship magicians to protect their trade flotillas, or maybe sponsor a priest/priestess of a deity to accompany them, giving those vessels distinct advantages. With nothing but an order, military leaders can assign magicians that would be likely found in most standing armies onto vessels, if naval combat needed or is to be expected.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

BandofMisfits
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2016 :  21:11:43  Show Profile  Visit BandofMisfits's Homepage Send BandofMisfits a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-A halfway decent magician in probably the best thing for a naval vessel, both offensively and defensively. At a relatively low level (3e), a magician might be able to cast these spells, all of which would help sway a battle slightly or in a major way:

Animate Rope (1st Level)
Darkness (2nd Level)
Grease (1st Level)
Fog Cloud (2nd Level)
Flame Arrow (3rd Level)
Flaming Hands (1st Level)
Fireball (3rd Level)
Invisibility Sphere (3rd Level)
Lightning Bolt (3rd Level)
Major Image (3rd Level)
Rope Trick (2nd Level)
Silent Image (1st Level)
Sleet Storm (3rd Level)
Spiderwalk (2nd Level)
Stinking Cloud (3rd Level)
Water Breathing (3rd Level)
Wind Wall (3rd Level)

Better and cheaper than a cannon.

Historically speaking, the upper range of a 36-pounder long gun was 3,700 meters, with a practical range of 650 meters. So between 2,000 and 12,000 feet.

What's the range of that fireball your mage is about to cast?

I get that "smoke powder" isn't reliable or widely available in The Realms, but the argument that "a mage would be more effective anyways" doesn't really track.

(P.S. Every shipbuilder worth his salt is going to have a permanent Dimensional Lock or Forbiddance cast on ships they build. Only prudent.)

Edited by - BandofMisfits on 13 Mar 2016 21:21:42
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000