Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Archmage (Novel), question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2016 :  08:20:54  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was rereading it again, and came to passage, that states that Khazidea (spelling) briefly dominated Artemis Entreri. When did that happen? As far as I can recall he never wielded it. Might RAS mixed Charons Claw for it somehow?

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2016 :  14:26:57  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It never happened. There are quite a few instances in which Artemis is associated with Khazid'hea that never occurred. It's just one of the many non-insignificant inconsistencies in the Drizzt books.
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2016 :  10:48:10  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont know if its for editors or what, but RAS is one of the most inconsistent writer regarding he's own writings. (I dont even start on shared world issues).

Also there has been couple of times that i have wondered are these even written by same person. That is because writingstyle has changed so much during years.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2016 :  00:06:41  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
His books give me a massive headache.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
279 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  22:20:11  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

His books give me a massive headache.

Well,,, I don't mind the plot stuff too much. But reading about involved sword fights just drives me to jump to the resolution. I just can't picture all the intricate fencing moves in my brain.

I was disappointed when RAS brought back the ENTIRE old Icewind Dale crew. Entreri, Wulfgar, and Catti should be dead. Regis also is almost certainly deceased. Brunor should be sitting on a throne somewhere, and who should be doing the active adventuring are his sons/daughters.

Although I have to admit I like having Catti back ... ESPECIALLY as a mage. And even better that she's a Chosen. RAS's books should have the Drizzt/Catti duo as the main adventurers meeting new characters.

That'll be 2 cents please!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  22:23:31  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd rather have RAS write about an entirely new set of characters. We have like 31-32 Drizzt books, I don't think that the FR need even more of the same. Either way, it seems that he won't write for WotC for a while.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  03:11:27  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always wished for Salvatore to create a mage character like how he (to me anyway) created the fighter character. We see how a fighter grows and develops in the Realms via Drizzt, and I personally would really like to go on that same journey from apprenticeship to Archmage/High Mage if elven with a new character. I would want the series to have 20+ books in it, and I think a wizard character can keep things new and interesting with new spells and adventures unlike a fighter who will always fight the same.

Basically I want to see what kind of series Bob could make if instead of the Matron Mother picking fighter she allowed him to become a wizard like she first wanted... though the MC doesn't have to be drow... though a new wizard character in a different Drow city than Menzo would be very interesting. Of course, I really don't want to see another goody-goody character like Drizzt.

Any hope that this kind of character will ever exist in the Realms? And please don't say Elminster... just don't.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  03:23:13  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I'd prefer if such a character wasn't a drow. Or at least that they were part of another kind of drow society (Eilistraeean or Vhaerunite, or both, given that they are starting to cooperate), or of a drow city that doesn't follow the model of Menzo (so, not made up of fanatic, brainwashed slaves. Something like Sshamath would be a welcome change).

But, with how WotC is handling the IP, I think we won't see new characters for a *long* time.

Go to Top of Page

Lamora
Seeker

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  16:05:02  Show Profile Send Lamora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're probably right. The sad thing is that WotC has writers. Good authors that want to work in the Realms, but WotC won't make it happen. Byers, Elaine, and Kemp are all available to write if WotC asked. Kemp, to me, is the best writer the Realms ever had and it really sucks that he won't be writing in the Realms again because WotC doesn't pay enough. It just seems with all these writers available (Byers even said he would write if asked) and NOT being asked for stories that WotC is just allowing the Realms to fade away. Quite sad.

Edited by - Lamora on 02 Jun 2016 16:05:48
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  16:10:18  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know. We cannot do anything more than letting them know our opinion through e-mails, and through their CS. And, obviously, supporting those authors. But Hasbro wants big money, so they'd rather invest in stuff like VGs, merchandise, and movies, than books (both sourcebooks and novels).

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000