Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Waterdeep, poisons and drugs
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ShadowKing
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2014 :  18:22:02  Show Profile Send ShadowKing a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am reading the old AD&D campaign guide to Waterdeep (TSR 1109 - City of Splendors) which has a chapter with a list of the written laws of its Code Legal.
I did not find any laws against the sale of poisons and drugs (poisoning of city wells is expressly sanctioned) but I read in several sourcebooks this kind of trade takes place almost entirely in Skullport.
What is the reason for this? What does happen if a drug dealer is cought by the guards inside the city's walls?

TBeholder
Great Reader

2391 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2014 :  07:58:54  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forced to pay taxes for running an apothecary or GTHO?
Oh, right, Waterdeep. Then it's like with smokepowder, probably.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2014 :  17:29:18  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I've found about Waterdeep and poisons (and any potentially dangerous substance/item, really) is that such substances seem to be quite legal until something public happens involving them.

The second Vampires of Waterdeep adventure mentions a yuan-ti narcotic/poison that was only made illegal when a nobleman and his retainers were assassinated by it. Before then, it was easy to ship in and out of the city, but afterwards it had to be smuggled.

It seems to be a mentality that has survived the times. Smokepowder was fine until after residences started exploding and Dream Spheres were all the rage until they started incapacitating large numbers of people.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000