Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Bridge of Fallen Men
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beppe63
Acolyte

Italy
43 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  22:30:20  Show Profile  Visit Beppe63's Homepage Send Beppe63 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all Sages of Realmslore,

I'm looking for all the official information that has been published on this bridge located near Proskur (gamebook and novel). Can you help me?

Do you know if there is something that explains the name that was given to it?

If there is nothing official, someone created/written something about it?

Thank you for your help. :)

Bye.

Beppe63

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  22:57:41  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is from THO about dwarves using the bridge or the area nearby it:

Heh. I believe there IS a small and well-hidden dwarf hold in the Stormhorns, and as they want to remain hidden, they travel underground to emerge on the surface near the Bridge of Fallen Men, and journey openly overland on the trade-roads from there, so as to pose as dwarves who've come from elsewhere via surface routes.
As for barging...Ed will of course furnish a proper answer, but as a longtime player in a campaign with Ed as the DM, yes, barges do travel upriver as far north as the east-west traderoad bridge across the river in Eveningstar...but they have to be very SMALL barges because the channel is both shallow and narrow/sharp-bending in places (moved more with poles than with oars, the King's Forest making towing with draft beasts nigh-impossible until much farther south). Ed described such barges in play.
We'll have to await his reply for more...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  23:05:37  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My search turns up the following:

• Forging the Realms: Hidden Holds of the Realms by Ed Greenwood

• Mintiper's Chapbook: Trail of Mists by Eric Boyd

• Two mentions in bits of lore from Ed via THO: here and here. The second of these (quoted by Eilserus) indicates there's a hidden dwarfhold nearby in the Storm Horns.

• Volo's Guide to Cormyr (pg 209)

• Elminster's Ecologies: The Thunder Peaks and the Storm Horns (pg 5, 17)

• 2e FR Campaign Setting: Grand Tour of the Realms (pg 53, 81) and Running the Realms (pg 20)

• All of these are mere mentions, often about surrounding features rather than the Bridge itself... not what I would consider "primary sources" but some of them have bits that might be helpful in establishing context. Of course the Bridge also shows up on the 1e and 2e maps, and in the Atlas, and it's drawn but not labeled on the 3e map.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 13 Apr 2014 23:11:37
    Go to Top of Page

Beppe63
    Acolyte

Italy
    43 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  10:33:46  Show Profile  Visit Beppe63's Homepage Send Beppe63 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    First of all thank you both for the quick answers. :)

Apart from information in "Holds Hidden of the Realms" all other are information that I had already found, as I had all the original material published on FR.

I was hoping there was something about the origin of the name... at this point I just have to wait for a possible response from Ed. ;)

Hello and thank you again.

Bye.

Beppe63
    Go to Top of Page

Beppe63
    Acolyte

Italy
    43 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  11:45:08  Show Profile  Visit Beppe63's Homepage Send Beppe63 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Sorry Eilserus, I'm looking at map of Cormyr (http://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/cormyr.shtml) and I don't understand well this phrase:
    "barges do travel upriver as far north as the east-west traderoad bridge across the river in Eveningstar"

The Tun River never arrive near Eveningstar and upriver it go through Farsea Swamp. What exactly means the phrase above?

Thanks for any help.

P.S. I'm sorry I'm Italian and I probably missing something in the translation.

Bye.

Beppe63
    Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
    Master of Realmslore

USA
    1446 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  13:34:45  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    THO was talking about barge traffic on the Starwater. I was curious and asked if enterprising dwarves could ship goods straight out of the mountains down into Cormyr for sale.

Edited by - Eilserus on 14 Apr 2014 13:35:41
    Go to Top of Page

Beppe63
    Acolyte

Italy
    43 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2014 :  13:48:53  Show Profile  Visit Beppe63's Homepage Send Beppe63 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Ok Eilserus. I suspected that he was talking about the Starwater, but I wanted confirmation. Thank you.

Bye.

Beppe63
    Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
    Great Reader

United Kingdom
    6353 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  13:59:53  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Found a mention of the bridge of fallen men from the city of splendours sourcebook about what looks like a series of portals. Its only a brief mention though.

quote:
    Lost Princess Road: This keyed two-way portal network connects the Purple Hills, south of the holy house of St. Rhynda’s, with an abandoned quarry in north-eastern Amn, by the Troll Mountains, and with Skarn Rock, off the coast near the mouth of the River Chionthar. From Skarn Rock, one can travel to the gorge beneath the Bridge of Fallen Men, west of Cormyr, to the slopes of Mount Waterdeep, up and east from Silavene’s festhall (C3), and to the confluence of the Unicorn Run and the River Delimbiyr. However, no one seems to know what the key is, so would-be travellers will have to discover the key before using the portal.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
    Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
    Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
    Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
    Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
    Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
    Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
    Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
    Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
    Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
    Go to Top of Page