Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 44

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13839 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2013 :  21:26:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Ed, in another thread we have gone off-track (as usual) from the OP about 'female characters in the Realms' to human sub-races.

I made the point that given the far more cosmopolitan nature of The Realms (as opposed to our own RW medieval period), just about any human 'sub-type' can be fond almost anywhere, although some will of course be more common in certain areas then others. This means that not only do some 'black people' live in Cormyr, but I am sure there are black Purple Dragons as well.

If this line of reasoning is correct, then is it possible that there are some 'dark skinned' noble houses in Cormyr? I assume elsewhere as well (I would think that in The South - like Calimshan - this would be a given).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 May 2013 21:27:38
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5663 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2013 :  21:47:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
Hi Ed,

I was wondering, are there any were-deer, were-elk, or were-moose in the realms? If so, where? What about were-cows?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  00:03:39  Show Profile  Visit Razz's Homepage  Send Razz an AOL message Send Razz a Private Message
Were-creatures are almost always carnivores or omnivores. I don't think there are any herbivore werecreatures at all, though I would not be surprised at exceptions. I am interested in whether or not there are weredogs, considering that werecats are common in the Realms.

I do have a legitimate Ed Question, well two in fact:
-----------------------------------------------
1) History in the Realms is obviously highly sought after as we all know. But I wonder exactly how it is that there are issue of there being gaps in history, considering how easily one can go to the many long-lived races or magically life-extended beings that are out there. If one was curious on events during Myth Drannor's siege, for example, how difficult is it to simply find an elf that is over 700 years of age or even a dragon, or some mage that has magically extended their life? (Such as Elminster himself, but we all know how much of a tease he is, I doubt every long-lived being is like him though)

2) It is also clear there are many, many shapechangers in the Realms and that fact has been around for ages. By now, would there not be all sorts of magical fields placed to show the true forms of those stepping in and magic items that allow rulers or their subjugates to discern any shapechangers hiding in the courts and halls of the palace? Or is that shapechangers have easy access to counter such magic? (But then, would there not be a counter-counter magic?) How exactly do shapechangers get by in the Realms and get away with concealing themselves so easily in a world that is aware of such shapechangers and would be foolish to not enact measures to unveil them?
Go to Top of Page

LetumLux
Seeker

17 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  10:02:06  Show Profile  Click to see LetumLux's MSN Messenger address Send LetumLux a Private Message
Hello again!

I'm pulling up a question from 2004 that was originally posted by Baalster. I looked through subsequent years' scrolls and didn't find the answer. I went through the rest of 2004 and a good chunk of 2005, and did some searching for keywords, but it didn't yield anything, so I thought I would dig it up!

quote:
5. Any information forthcoming about the barbarian tribes of The Ride ? I have found preciously little.

Anything that you can reveal on Whitehorn and White Peaks would be greatly appreciated. With what a sizeable stack of TSR/WotC books and magazines can't tell me, I find it comfortable to see that you answer questions about your creation so easily, even after so many years. For that you have my thanks once again.

Thanks in advance!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1397 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  11:53:52  Show Profile  Click to see Barastir's MSN Messenger address Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Were-creatures are almost always carnivores or omnivores. I don't think there are any herbivore werecreatures at all, though I would not be surprised at exceptions. I am interested in whether or not there are weredogs, considering that werecats are common in the Realms.

Razz and sleyvas,

Once again, I'm not Ed, but I can answer a bit of these questions for you. In the 1e sourcebook Hall of Heroes, in Kelemvor's entry, there is a nice list of werecreatures that includes one herbivore species, the werebison. It also includes the weredog, a LG lycanthrope, weredolphins, werespiders and even weredragons (different from the song dragons). In this list there are no were-elks or deers, though. There are rules for creating new lycanthropes (for 1e, of course), and it is said that some animals merged with humans during the Time of Troubles (this would justify the existence of any kind of werecreature). anyway, I'm sure Ed can provide further lore on the subject.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5663 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  14:16:13  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:

Razz and sleyvas,

Once again, I'm not Ed, but I can answer a bit of these questions for you. In the 1e sourcebook Hall of Heroes, in Kelemvor's entry, there is a nice list of werecreatures that includes one herbivore species, the werebison. It also includes the weredog, a LG lycanthrope, weredolphins, werespiders and even weredragons (different from the song dragons). In this list there are no were-elks or deers, though. There are rules for creating new lycanthropes (for 1e, of course), and it is said that some animals merged with humans during the Time of Troubles (this would justify the existence of any kind of werecreature). anyway, I'm sure Ed can provide further lore on the subject.

So, there is essentially were-cows of a sort. Thank you. Hmm, I wonder, if they mated with cows and/or rothe if it would spread (I think you can mate bison and cows, right?)? Doesn't say anything in hall of heroes. Man have the guys at the slaughterhouse got a wicked surprise in for them.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13839 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  14:46:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
And now you guys got me thinking about a type Tauric creature - a centuar Goblin/Rothe (since Rothe are supposed to be much smaller then cows, and descended from "the small forest Rothe"). Not sure why such things would exists - sounds like something some bored drow experimented with.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Hi Ed,

I was wondering, are there any were-deer, were-elk, or were-moose in the realms? If so, where? What about were-cows?

And now I am picturing a male dwarf and human female from Sossal who are hunting for a were-Moose and Were-Squirrel (in their hybrid forms)...

Boris: "Natasha, we must find Moose and Squirrel!"

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 May 2013 14:47:54
Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2013 :  11:07:15  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message
Dear Ed,

I was always intrigued by the Paladins of Waterdeep; Piergeron, Madeiron, and Texter. I had always hoped their would be a story about Piergeron and his path leading to Open Lord, his father and their relationship. Also about Madeiron, his adventures and how he came to be Piergeron's bodyguard. I also found Texter to be a very interesting character.

Any chance we will able to learn more about them or hear any of this.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2013 :  15:45:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Sunderstone, I too would love it if Ed got the chance to tell more tales about Piergeiron, Madeiron, and Texter. The first two appear very briefly in CITY OF SPLENDORS, the novel Ed and Elaine Cunningham collaborated on, and Texter is in one of Elaine's novels (DREAM SPHERES, I think, though I'm on assignment and away from my books right now, and can't check to see if I've remembered rightly).
gomez, I can't clean out my overflowing inbox right now, and the system won't let me answer you directly until I do, but the answers are: yes, I don't mind, and let me look for something suitable.
;}
love to all,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 09 May 2013 15:29:21
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2013 :  20:16:22  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Thanks, THO! And Ed of course.
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2013 :  02:42:40  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
sleyvas, werestags were around in the Realms from the beginning, I think, both as monsters and as the badge of one of Ed's library mini-campaign PC adventuring groups (the Company of the Werestag; a friend of mine played one of the members of that band in one of Ed's Brookbanks Library 13-episode programs). This would have been in the late 1980s, about the time the first FR print products were coming out.
BB
P.S. So were weredragons and wereboars, but I was responding to the herbivore part of your question.

Edited by - Blueblade on 09 May 2013 02:43:27
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Learned Scribe

84 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2013 :  20:06:56  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO,
Someone told me that the City of Splendors product in 2E said that Piergeiron forbid lawyers, based on the idea that no one should get between justice and an individual. Discussions on how truly convenient that would be for parties to claims (being perhaps free legal assistance preferrable given the need to handle some legal knowledge to properly defend some claims), I would like to ask Ed if all paladins of Tyr and cities hold a similar policy, and if it has not changed in Waterdeep itself. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2013 :  01:25:54  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:

Razz and sleyvas,

Most of those creatures were updated to 3rd edition by Eric Boyd and Thomas Costa in the "Bestiary of the Realms: Volume 1". They included the seawolf, werebadger, werebison, wereblack-lion, werecat, weredog, weredolphin, werefox, werehyena, werejaguar, wereleopard, werelion, weremole (yes, the fearsome were dire mole), wereowl, werepanther, wereseal and werespider.
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2013 :  10:57:10  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
An update for THO and ED (technically not a question, I know, sorry Sage), but of interest to anyone following this thread:
I have added the first Ed-themed card, #96: Spin A Yarn, to:

https://www.facebook.com/CountdownToGenCon

Further updates, and any feedback/comments - THO excepted - in the following thread:

http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17795

Hope you all enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13839 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2013 :  14:38:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Another for the pile...

Playing a video game last night, some NPC was "sent to the work in the [insert fantasy term/name here] mines!" Thinking on this, many times I have read (or heard) similar lines used - a dreaded place where criminals and/or traitors are sent.

Are there any such places in the Realms? Obviously they would be region-specific; I doubt any of the groups in FaerŻn would bother with the expense of establishing a continent-wide prison-place. How about Cormyr? Is there a 'dreaded place' where folks can be sentenced to? (aside from being Vangerdehast's footstool).

Edited by - Markustay on 12 May 2013 18:24:04
Go to Top of Page

AryalůmŽ
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2013 :  17:10:33  Show Profile Send AryalůmŽ a Private Message
Would Spirit folk be common at all in the Moonshaes? Seeing as that region of Faerun is extremely naturally tied, I'd assume that there'd be quite an abundance of Spirit folk there.

Another question: can interloper deities have any affect on Faerun? I'm making a character and want him to be a priest of Frey (Freyr), but I'm not sure if he can really have any affect in Faerun if interloper deities can interact with them. What about the extended Seldarine too? Do they have a place in the Realms?

Yet another: Are there some cults or people who still worship Mystryl? Honestly, I kind of prefer her over Mystra a little because she represents the chaotic energies of magic rather than a just a lawful aspect of it and I'd like to have a character that worshiped her in that way. If so, would they still be able to receive (especially priest classes) blessings and other power from her? Would they still be able to become Chosen of her?

Last question: If a character worships more than one deity (which I'm assuming most people in Faerun do), where would their souls go if they didn't really have a certain patron deity? Say, if a character worshiped Shar, Silvanus and Kossuth together, where would their soul go? Is there some sort of neutral ground where they go or some cultural afterlife like most real world cosmologies have?
Go to Top of Page

TheHermit
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2013 :  05:11:42  Show Profile  Visit TheHermit's Homepage Send TheHermit a Private Message
Ed,

Have there ever been any large scale plans to reclaim Sessrendale for actual resettlement? If so, have they been thwarted by active opposition or general inertia?

- "Glitz & Klax's Potions & Elixirs"/"The Sandmen", Inside Ravens Bluff, The Living City; 1990; TSR, Inc.
- "The Far Guardians' Traveler's Mission", Port of Ravens Bluff; 1991, TSR, Inc.
- "Signs Painted", Polyhedron #70; April, 1992; TSR, Inc.
- Communications Director, Coliseum of Comics, Orlando, FL - http://coliseumofcomics.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2013 :  15:56:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all. Ed is snowed-under-busy right now, but I can answer Markustay's latest:

In Cormyr, the equivalent of "off to the salt mines!" is: "sent to do roadwork in the Stonelands."
That's the common saying and belief, that is, but it isn't true. What actually happens is chain-gang roadwork in the West Reach (that is, along the road west of High Horn, that eventually finds its way down to the bridge at Fallen Men). There are constant small rockslides and erosion damage, and an ongoing tree planting and grass planting program, to try to anchor tje thin soils and build them up. There's also a slow effort to make timber trestles and bridges smaller, by making more use of rock fill and culverts, so arsonists from an invading force can't so easily "cut" the road in so many places.
There are also some slate quarries along this road, that prisoners and debtors are occasionally put to work in.

This lore comes from Ed, of course, through play and my pesky questions to him, down the years.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13839 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2013 :  20:29:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thank you for the quick response, THO.

The info about the western Stormhorns infrastructure was way more then I could have hoped for.

Edited by - Markustay on 13 May 2013 20:30:50
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Learned Scribe

84 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  15:22:09  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
This may be an easy question, but due to my having read mostly Eberron products I would like to know its answer. Does Ed intend the Forgotten Realms Tyr to be the same Earth Norse deity? Planescape materials suggest so, but I have seen mistakes concerning campaign settings in materials from other lines.
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2013 :  15:54:03  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message
I do apologize for this, if this question has been asked before, but what happened to Lady Noumea after she left candlekeep? I know in Elmenster's daughter she's a miner character, but her life interested me.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1426 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  12:58:02  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:

1) History in the Realms is obviously highly sought after as we all know. But I wonder exactly how it is that there are issue of there being gaps in history, considering how easily one can go to the many long-lived races or magically life-extended beings that are out there. If one was curious on events during Myth Drannor's siege, for example, how difficult is it to simply find an elf that is over 700 years of age or even a dragon, or some mage that has magically extended their life?
I'm not Ed, obviously, but the answer is rather transparent. It's at best the first step, because - okay, you asked them... now what?
Did you read "Evermeet: Island of Elves"? Remember how the compilation was put on hold, with Khelben hinting that Danilo would need to join the ranks of those who "magically extended their life" to see it again? After his elven sources managed to completely omit all and any traces of an insignificant trifle colloquially known as the Descent of the Drow and of Dracorage, except one indirect mention the true horrid meaning of which his source couldn't know? (I love Elaine Cunningham's books for having fun with handling "in-Universe" view like this).
Got the picture now?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 17 May 2013 13:27:14
Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Seeker

52 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  14:26:01  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. Sunderstone, I too would love it if Ed got the chance to tell more tales about Piergeiron, Madeiron, and Texter. The first two appear very briefly in CITY OF SPLENDORS, the novel Ed and Elaine Cunningham collaborated on, and Texter is in one of Elaine's novels (DREAM SPHERES, I think, though I'm on assignment and away from my books right now, and can't check to see if I've remembered rightly).
gomez, I can't clean out my overflowing inbox right now, and the system won't let me answer you directly until I do, but the answers are: yes, I don't mind, and let me look for something suitable.
;}
love to all,
THO

THO,

Just finished City of Splendours! It was a great story, thanks for the recommend! It definitely left me wanting more of Piergeron, Texter and Madeiron. The little of Piergeron and Texter were great and with the little bit we saw, it was a nice contrast of how they serve in their roles as Paladins of Tyr. It left me certainly wanting more. Of course the few glimpses of Madeiron were great too and there definitely has to be a unique story to an eight foot guy with his interesting personality traits becoming a paladin and champion to Piergeron.

Hoping Ed finds an opportunity in his busy life to entertain with a tale with these three center stage.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  15:40:14  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Since this is where the Ed goodness is, one small update on the Countdown to Gen Con cardd

Card #89: VIGs: Storytellers: Ed Greenwood

Direct link:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=499273996807327&set=a.494721083929285.1073741829.493542794047114

I hope Ed likes the photo I selected.
It is bright and colorful and sunny, and we can all do with more brightness, color, and sun.

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2013 :  17:31:29  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
I'm blanking at the moment on where Ed is in relation to Ottawa but I hope the groundshaking hasn't caused him any trouble?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 44 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000