Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Aunglor moonblade, Darkmoon & other blades
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  19:50:49  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

I was uniting references to the moonblades registered in canon, trying to know which ones exist and are active in the 1360/70s DR, and came to these names:

ACTIVE

King Sword - Amlaruil Moonflower, Evermeet
2nd Moonflower sword - Arilyn Moonblade, Waterdeep surroundings and Tethyr
Craulnober sword - Elaith Craulnober, Waterdeep (reactivated)
Thoerl - Tyllaetha Silverspear, Evermeet
Morvaeril / Selsherryn sword (sun elf clan?) - Nilsa Harvalmeer (half-wood elf?)

Besides, we have the Amaryllis sword with Urijah Amaryllis, in Evermeet (mentioned here in CK but not in canon by Elaine Cunningham), another blade among the Moonflowers and two with the Amaryllis, IIRC, and Jassin Aunglor's sword, that was lost in a cave-in in -206 DR in a fight between him and the green dragon Venom, and never mentioned after that (lost at least until the times of Arcane Age Cormanthyr).

DORMANT

Ilbaereth sword- Krolloth Ilbaereth, Evermeet
Ulongyr sword - Teharissa Ulongyr, Evermeet

CORRUPTED (?)

Starym sword (Darkmoon, Bladeshee) - lost (maybe in an abandoned ruin in western Faerūn? I think this is only a suggested plot...)

My question is: are there other moonblades we know by name? Anything else in the Blackstaff novel? And what about the lost Aunglor blade, was something else canonically published about it? And finally, was that Darkmoon plot explored canonically?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  20:50:51  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that's it on the Aunglor blade. I went on a lore hunt regarding it when I created Delwa (aka, Delwa Aunglor.) I could be wrong, though. I can give you plenty of non-canon lore if you're interested, though.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2014 :  12:36:09  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa
I can give you plenty of non-canon lore if you're interested, though.

You could PM me to tell what you decided about the blade, yes, but now I'm interested in canon lore. Let's see if anyone else nows about it, and about Darkmoon.

Besides, is any other blade mentioned by name in the Blackstaff novel?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2014 :  15:10:01  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one else knows more info about these blades?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  14:48:09  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you take Baldur's Gate as canon, there's Xan's moonblade, even though his surname is not stated anywhere in game.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  16:46:50  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

If you take Baldur's Gate as canon, there's Xan's moonblade, even though his surname is not stated anywhere in game.

I've seen it, but info about it is so scant that I haven't considered it. It doesn't look like a moonblade, and I'm not sure if I can consider it canon, too. Do you know its powers, beside being a flaming sword? In fact, are there other powers? Restrictions when others try to use it, maybe?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  17:51:14  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The moonblade of house Ilbaereth is still in possesion of Kroloth, but his blade rests dormant, cracked in his scabbard in the Year of Lightning Storms (1374 DR). This is revealed in the final chapter of Blackstaff.

Spoiler:
The moonblade got shattered and reforged during the ritual to bring back Rhymanthiin into 7 Hopeblades of the Tors of Highstar Lake too.

Hope this is of interest :D

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  18:25:22  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind
Hope this is of interest :D

It is: actually, as I haven't read Blackstaff, any info about moonblades from this book is welcome.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2014 :  18:10:57  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

I've seen it, but info about it is so scant that I haven't considered it. It doesn't look like a moonblade, and I'm not sure if I can consider it canon, too. Do you know its powers, beside being a flaming sword? In fact, are there other powers? Restrictions when others try to use it, maybe?

Others are unable to wield it, and based on the fact Xan is a wizard yet is able to do so, it's enough for it to stand out.
The sword also increased his AC (or decreased, considering it's AD&D) and in spite of looking like a flame, dealt no elemental damage.
In my 3.5 conversion, I made it a +2 longsword of protection (intelligent, granting Improved Init, AL NG)

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2014 :  19:39:02  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice, thank you very much. In fact, Mrs. Cunningham mentioned wizard moonblade wielders, I think even in 2e times. Maybe we could consider it has the "proficient weapon" property... Besides, I've seen in a website that the sword gives him fire resistance, is it true?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2014 :  15:16:06  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fire resistance, yes.

As far as the moonblades from Blackstaff, they are no longer moonblades. The ritual changed them as well (soooooo hated that ritual).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000