Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Greatest Rivalry among Deities
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mhamza
Seeker

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2014 :  21:30:22  Show Profile Send mhamza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What do you think is the greatest rivalry among the powers of the realms? For me its Torm/Bane with Corellon/Gruumsh a close second.

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2014 :  21:42:25  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shar/Selune.

Even if it actually became Shar/Mystra as of recent, since Selune is so downplayed.

Also Corellon/Lolth, or Lolth/Eilistraee&Vhaeraun, because tragic mother/children rivalry over something that sprung from what started as nothing more than a misunderstanding between Lolth and Corellon and that then grew to cost thousands of lives, because of stupid pride.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 25 Jun 2014 21:51:54
Go to Top of Page

mhamza
Seeker

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2014 :  22:25:11  Show Profile Send mhamza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't believe I forgot about Shar/Selune. Also how was Corellon/Lolth a misunderstanding, didn't Lolth turn evil and greedy one day all of a sudden? Lolth/Corellon/Eilistraee/Vhaeraun kinda reminds me of Arrested Development in the sense that they are one seriously messed up family.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2014 :  22:40:00  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AFAIK Corellon isn't free from guilt in that matter. Araushnee was frustrated that she was a goddess of destiny, but somehow forced to accept what Corellon chose for her. He didn't treat her as equal. Then she decided to rebel, but instead of talking about it, she went crazy/retarded mode and tried to invade Arvandor with an army of evil gods, corrupted angels, demons and whatever you have, which ultimately led to her exile/defeat. This is what ''Evermeet: Island of Elves'' leads me to believe, at least.

Edited by - Irennan on 25 Jun 2014 22:47:00
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2014 :  22:51:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, obviously Tyr/Mask. Y'see, they were playing Chess, and it was Mask's turn. He managed to distract Tyr ("Look! There's Elvis!") then rearranged a few pieces on the board (and stole a couple), subsequently leading him towards inevitable victory. The stolen Chess pieces were actually minor artifacts in themselves, and Tyr was quite miffed that his favorite piece - the noble angel-knight bearing a sword of light - later turned up covered in unflattering graffiti and dressed in drag at one of Sharess's seedier temples.

And no other god nor goddess, no other creature above or below the Realms, can hold an obstinately blind grudge for as long as crusty old Tyr when he perceives an injustice - especially moreso when he himself is the victim of unfair play.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

mhamza
Seeker

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2014 :  22:53:01  Show Profile Send mhamza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hadn't read Evermeet so I just caught up with the wiki, sounds in character with Corellon but Lolth was an idiot for going crazy and trying to rebel. She could have easily had him wrapped around her finger, which I think is why Corellon changed her to her spider form. Now she's a greater deity how come she hasn't tried to go for round 2 yet?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2014 :  22:58:37  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably because she would have to face an entire Pantheon by herself (that's why trying to get rid of her own pantheon was stupid of her. It would have been way more in character if she tried to manipulate her children against the Seldarine. But the script for 4e changes had to go on, so...). The only revenge she would be able to get is by spreading pain and death among elves, but lolthite drow are pants-on-head retarded with 'chaos and ebilness', they would likely backstab each other and fail in any long term campaign (like they always have).

quote:
Ah, obviously Tyr/Mask. Y'see, they were playing Chess, and it was Mask's turn. He managed to distract Tyr ("Look! There's Elvis!") then rearranged a few pieces on the board (and stole a couple), subsequently leading him towards inevitable victory. The stolen Chess pieces were actually minor artifacts in themselves, and Tyr was quite miffed that his favorite piece - the noble angel-knight bearing a sword of light - later turned up covered in unflattering graffiti and dressed in drag at one of Sharess's seedier temples.

And so it began...

Edited by - Irennan on 25 Jun 2014 23:07:15
Go to Top of Page

mhamza
Seeker

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2014 :  23:05:32  Show Profile Send mhamza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Realistically who could she have gotten to her side? Vhaeraun, Malar and Kiaransalee are almost guaranteed but who else?

I don't think I've heard that story about Mask/Tyr but its hilarious. I can imagine Mask trying to do it again after Tyr's blindness.

Edited by - mhamza on 25 Jun 2014 23:10:07
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2014 :  23:23:38  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Selvetarm? Ghaunadaur (she already had him when she first attempted to raze Arvandor). That's the whole Dark Seldarine there

I think she would take delight in trying to corrupt Eilistraee, letting her see how Corellon doesn't actually care for the drow (which is kinda true), how he is so ever distant from them, not even trying to encourage elves to try and give the drow who want to change a chance. How he doesn't even raise a finger to help her, when it was him who exiled her people -including the inncoent ones- leading them to Lolth and contributing to create all this bloodshed; how she's actually alone in her battle and so on. Basically letting her daughter understand that Corellon is not what she think he is. Having Eilistraee -who stands for freedom of choice and expression- understand what the reasons behind her mother's betrayal were (i.e. Lolth being treated as less than equal, not actually being in charge of her future) would also count. There's also the moment when the Spider Queen would show to the Dark Dancer the things she could achieve for her people, how drow and elves could be united again if mother and daughter ruled the Seldarine.
And ofc there's the part in which Lolth would promise Eilistraee to let the drow be free to choose who to follow, once the matter with Corellon had been solved. You know classic villainous BS, appealing on the love that the Dark Maiden still feels for her mother and what she wishes for the drow.

Granted Eilistraee wouldn't believe this, but she wouldn't accept a chess death match which Lolth proposed (and which had nothing to do with her goal to redeem her people) either, yet they had it happen. The amount of nonsense and out of character in those novels is so large that they could at least go for something cool...

However this si derailing the thread, sorry about it.

Edited by - Irennan on 26 Jun 2014 00:04:50
Go to Top of Page

mhamza
Seeker

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2014 :  12:10:47  Show Profile Send mhamza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No need to apologize, Lolth & Corellon/Eilistraee is one of the biggest rivalries in the realms and its always nice to learn more about it. I didn't mention Selvetarm because I wasn't sure what he would be if he got resurrected, would he revert to his normal state or just stay as yet another of Lolth's brainwashed lackeys.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  02:54:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

And no other god nor goddess, no other creature above or below the Realms, can hold an obstinately blind grudge for as long as crusty old Tyr when he perceives an injustice - especially moreso when he himself is the victim of unfair play.

I remember that. Didn't the sword of light also start making "virp" sounds every time you swung it?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  12:59:01  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to say that the rivalry between Shar and selune is the most heated. Its certainly the one that has lasted the longest and shows no sign of any sort of compromise ever being reached.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  13:37:42  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tiamat vs Bahamut is also a good contender. They've been at it on and off for nearly thirty two and-a-half thousand years, even after all of the other dragon gods decided that fighting was beneath them.

Bahamut's got the upper hand now but I guess we'll see how the Tyranny of Dragons turns out.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

mhamza
Seeker

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2014 :  00:58:52  Show Profile Send mhamza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tempus and Garagos? Especially since Tempus is the one who knocked down Garagos to a demipower and Garagos represents the aspects of war Tempus doesn't like.

Edited by - mhamza on 28 Jun 2014 18:34:25
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000