Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 God for assassins
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikie
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  00:25:10  Show Profile Send mikie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met again. Got or have a interesting question. Does anyone know of a god/goddess for the trained assassin? I have a player who wants to become multi-class. You guessed it...a priest. I was looking over the FAITHS & AVATARS book and the only diety I found was MASK. Am I correct or is there another god/goddess? Looking for any input. Thanks all!

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  00:29:24  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Blood Lust Lord Bhaal

The Mad God Cyric

Lord Mask

the Tyrant of Tyrants Bane

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 24 Apr 2014 00:29:47
Go to Top of Page

mikie
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  01:40:54  Show Profile Send mikie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks. I forgot about Bhaal.
Originally posted by sfdragon

The Blood Lust Lord Bhaal

The Mad God Cyric

Lord Mask

the Tyrant of Tyrants Bane

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  14:08:26  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All true assassins worship Mask. It is known.
Go to Top of Page

mikie
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  15:53:14  Show Profile Send mikie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Masks' portfolio suggests: thieves, thievery & shadows. However, his allies were Bane, Cyric, & Bhaal which are dead. Did he "absorb" some of their traits? Hmmmmm...
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

All true assassins worship Mask. It is known.

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  17:59:46  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It does rather depend on when your game is set.

* From 1358 - 1485, there was no Bhaal (though he did still have a lot of followers who were granted spells by Cyric)
* From 1358 - 1369, there was no Bane. In 1369 he was replaced by Iyachtu Xvim and then in 1372, Bane replaced Xvim again.
* From 1385 - ?, Cyric seemingly goes increasingly insane after being imprisoned, alone, in his divine plane. I would say that after this point, it would be less likely that your assassin player would be a follower of Cyric.
* From 1374 - 1474, there was no Mask. His divinity was divided up until the events of The God born.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  19:02:14  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikie

Did he "absorb" some of their traits? Hmmmmm...
No, he actually lost some of his traits to Cyric (who by the way is the only true deity for assassins).

As far as Bhaal is concerned I don't even know what he is supposed to be now. Technically he was the lord of death (and only impatient and thus favoring murder over waiting for natural death), but not the lord of murder like Cyric is currently

Edited by - Mirtek on 24 Apr 2014 19:04:41
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  19:12:17  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Bhaal has risen again after the event in the Murder in Baldur's Gate adventure. So both Bhasl and Mask have returned in the current Realms.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Edited by - Lothlos on 24 Apr 2014 19:15:27
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  22:15:44  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As hashimashadoo points out, it depends on when your game is set. It also depends on the finer points of the assassins personality and mindset. Post-Time of Troubles Cyric would receive prayers from pretty much any assassin, at least before they make the kill, as he's the god of murder. Prior to the Time of Troubles, Bhaal would be the one receiving those prayers.

All the deities sfdragon listed could work. However, as your player wants to be a cleric as well... I'd also add Shar to the list. As the Lady of Loss, she's also a very appropriate deity for an assassin. Especially one more religiously inclined who multi-classes as a priest.

Loss, Darkness, and the Night are all part of Shar's portfolios. A worship of Shar could easily replace the worship of Mask, who is more focused on thieves and thievery.

An alternative for an assassin / priest, aside from Shar, would be Cyric as he's the deity of intrigue, lies, and deception in addition to murder.

Either Shar or Cyric would make ideal patrons for such a character. It just depends on where you want the focus to be... if you want the focus to be more on the religious aspect of the character, go with Shar. If you want the focus to be more on the assassin aspect of the character, go with Cyric.

Edited by - Aldrick on 24 Apr 2014 22:19:42
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  22:32:29  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This discussion is a good example of why I don't like deicide and the general shake up of the Realms over the past couple of editions. A DM/player shouldn't have to ask these types of questions with so many hoops to jump through to arrive at a likely conclusion.

I will second Aldrick's statements about Shar (even though I've gotten sick of her she does make a likely candidate for assassin's).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2014 :  00:24:06  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At one point, Gilgeam I thought had a large assassin following.

But since he is dead, although nearly resurrected in Alabaster staff, does not matter.

Go to Top of Page

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2014 :  09:20:43  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Talona as goddess of poison is also a good choice. Myrkul is a good fit if your character feels like he's serving to strengthen the realm of his deity ("the dead"). I can see assassins worshiping Talos and Loviatar if they're just in it for the kicks.

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2014 :  16:44:01  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bhaal has returned, but his current exact portfolio and influence I think aren't exacly known yet. Another good candidate could be Lascer, the demon lord of murder and assasination, if you want to play durring the time both Mask and Bhaal were dead.
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2014 :  17:06:01  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bhaal, worshiping a dead deity while killing people adds a whole new level of bad***, it's perfect for the sort of creepy assassin/mad zealot type of character.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  03:34:45  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dont forget Sseth.... and Set...... oh wait, forget SEt, he's a #^&%$&%%^@#% @^#^&$&$& #^#$^#$&$&, and has no class.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  04:59:34  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zinzerena
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11715 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  10:02:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Malar as a god of bloodlust as well would fit. All depends on the mindset of the character you're developing.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  20:46:31  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

taht dwarven god of greed too... in their times deep duerra and laguer ( oh look its something else I cant spell from memory.)

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000