Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Magocratic Language of the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  15:44:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I was taking a shower and thinking about things like how people in a magocracy might bring terms that they are familiar with into their language. I see these being possibly popular terms mostly within Thay and Halruaa, but areas with large mage guilds (such as Waterdeep) might also have adopted some of these terms. I figured it might be fun to see if anyone else comes up with some similar terms.

Automagically - to have something occur via a triggered condition (ex. I've got my wards setup to automagically send whomever walks through this door into my dungeon)

Rectally conjuring - a term used to describe someone who is speaking on things which he knows nothing about (ex. Then the priest of Bane started rectally conjuring me about how Shar will one day kneel before his god in subjugation).

divining me with your eyes - a term for leering at a man/woman in a suggestive/sexual way (ex. Were you just divining me with your eyes?)

abjurative - a term which combines defensive but also with prepared. Generally meant to convey someone who can debate endlessly (ex. You are so abjurative when you don't get your way).

blindly abjurative - a term for someone who is defensive against everything, or in other words, paranoid. (ex. Don't bring in Marcus, he's blindly abjurative when it comes to the Mulmasterite mages who serve the High Blade).

transmutational ways/mind - a term meant to describe someone who cannot make up their mind, or who is constantly changing their arguments. Also meant for someone who is mildly schizophrenic (ex. That woman frustrates me with her transumutational ways)

Evocative - explosive, hot-headed (ex. Man, when he gets drunk he goes positively evocative).

Any others come to mind?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  16:22:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Rectally conjuring - a term used to describe someone who is speaking on things which he knows nothing about (ex. Then the priest of Bane started rectally conjuring me about how Shar will one day kneel before his god in subjugation).

I get an entirely different image with that one...

To me, that sounds more like spellcasting done without proper preparation, and at great need.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000