Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 67

fourthmensch
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2004 :  00:27:45  Show Profile  Visit fourthmensch's Homepage Send fourthmensch a Private Message
Galad!!! Many thanks, Lady Hooded and Faraer--that is exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Of course, now my players and I will have to get some practice with these terms.... maybe some weekend bar-hopping where we can discuss the fairer sex without lowering our voices .

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos:
Personally, I'd get far more FR utility out of a write-up you did on the Simbul that told me what her five favourite ballads are, tipple of choice, what happened that last dozen or so times she cast 'legend lore' and whether she has and friendships/alliances with any dragons in the East.

That sounds great, George. So when can we have a look at this write-up? After all, you suggested it...

I want you to go home and ponder the meaning of the word subversive.

Gully Foyle is my name
And Terra is my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination.

Edited by - fourthmensch on 11 May 2004 02:48:40
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2004 :  05:09:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Simbul

Umm no that is not my intention. I am not looking for a quote to propound my own variations on the Template as some form of ad-hoc canon, my goal it make my own version of the Template as accurate to the novels and realmslore as possible with regards to abilities and powers, given the fact that Ed created those NPC's and wrote the overwhelming majority of novels they appeared in, I think it is more than apposite to ask his opinion or suggestions.

If my goal was to arbitrarily shove my own campaign variations down the throat of the wider FR community, then I would have to shapechange into the man who invented the continium-travesty known as the "Time of Troubles".

If that's the case Simbul, then I surrender the floor to you. Oh, and welcome to Candlekeep!:)

As for the Avatar Crisis, the person you have to chastise is none other than Mr Greenwood himself who suggested a Godswar as a great way to shake up your campaign pantheon way back in Dragon magazine 50-something. Of course, how such a Godswar was handled is another thing entirely ... and probably deserved of its own thread. On with the realmslore.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gareth Yaztromo
Acolyte

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2004 :  10:53:51  Show Profile  Visit Gareth Yaztromo's Homepage Send Gareth Yaztromo a Private Message
Ed, just letting you know I have now got my mum onto your books. She loves them.

"Gereth Yaztromo is arguably the most famous wizard of Allansia due to his part in a number of the most well known sagas of that region from the third century AC. He is also known as one of the three Star Pupils of the Grand Wizard of Yore.."
Go to Top of Page

Borch
Acolyte

Germany
21 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2004 :  18:24:05  Show Profile  Visit Borch's Homepage Send Borch a Private Message
Greetings all and Lady Hooded One,

As many did before, I will also try to gleam bits of lore from the ever-typing Ed, so here the requests come...

1)Is there any piece of Realmslore on the hamlets of Ulgoth's Beard and Lathtarl's Lantern apart from the information released in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast?

2)Is it possible to shed a bit of light onto the former occupant of the Frindly Arm, the undead priest of Bhaal defeated by the Mirrorshades?

3)The Cloak Wood. What can be told about the ancient overgrown forest south of Baldur's Gate?

Well, that's it, so to say. Many thanks for taking all this time and answering all these questions we fans have both to Ed for actually answering them and to the Hooded One for sharing the answers and stories from the Homerealms with us.

Greetings and happy gaming

Borch

Sprich aus der Ferne,
heimliche Welt,
die sich so selten
zu mir gesellt
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2004 :  19:31:41  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Borch

Greetings all and Lady Hooded One,

As many did before, I will also try to gleam bits of lore from the ever-typing Ed, so here the requests come...

i am not ed, but perhaps some of the following things are helpful...

quote:

1)Is there any piece of Realmslore on the hamlets of Ulgoth's Beard and Lathtarl's Lantern apart from the information released in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast?

Lathtarl's Lantern is mentioned in one of the articles of the "wyrms of the north- series": http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20030326a , and one dusty scroll i found here in candlekeep says it harbours a shrine to umberlee: http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/temples.htm .

greetings,
tauster
:)
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2004 :  20:56:03  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

Lathtarl's Lantern is mentioned in one of the articles of the "wyrms of the north- series": http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20030326a , and one dusty scroll i found here in candlekeep says it harbours a shrine to umberlee: http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/temples.htm .

The shrine reference is probably from the Volo's Guide, I can't think of any other reference's where it could be from.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  05:13:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hail and well met, all! Thy Lady Hooded returns, bringing once more the words of Ed, this time to The Simbul:

Well, George states things correctly when he says that 3e rules specifics matter a whole lot less to me than Realmslore, and yes, I AM the guy who thought up the Godswar, though (back in issue 54 of The Dragon), it was as a way for a DM who’s let things get out of hand to do a one-time drastic ‘rules fix’ in a campaign (remove a +6 sword or artifact, or reduce it to something flashy but less awesome-master-destruction, for example), NOT as a “let’s shuffle the gods” plotline.
However, as someone who’s done some fumbling 3e and 3.5e freelance design for Wizards, I do appreciate the work you’ve gone to, to put the powers of the Chosen into template form . . . and any fan of The Simbul is a friend of mine!
So, let’s take a look at your template. Your assumption as to the intention behind many of their powers (“to keep them from dying from natural causes rather than simply duplicating a specific magic item”) is quite correct, and silver fire should definitely be usable repeatedly and often (in emergencies only, as outpourings can be physically painful and it is a finite resource because unleashing it strains the host body, and if pushed, can drive the host beyond the limits of consciousness and muscular control). I imagine Skip Williams (the Sage), who had to fix spellfire a time or two, will have fits at the thought of silver fire being usable like a flamethrower, but . . . well, what’s in the novels stands as canon (yes, I’ll hand The Hooded One my kuje31 answer about canon right after I finish this one).
I’m happy to offer my comments, but I’m not a WotC employee and not a 3.5e expert by any stretch of the imagination (I prefer D&D as acting in an unfolding story during which the DM occasionally tosses dice or asks a player to, and no one necessarily knows why those dice are being rolled).
Now, something else MUST be said here: the laudable design philosophy of 3rd edition D&D is that EVERYTHING be clearly quantified in rules (i.e. all powers of gods and monsters must be set forth in rules-specific ways, so that DM and players both know EXACTLY what they do, and theoretically a character of sufficient power, who does the right research/develops the right spell/gains the right level/whatever to gain the power, could do so -- and the rules are right there to govern how that newly gained magic or ability or power functions, complete with limitations, etc).
However, there are some properties of the Chosen that MUST remain mysterious, not just because I as a Realms novelist or John Doe as a Realms game designer need the freedom to do something different in the future, but because Mystra hasn’t revealed or bestowed all of the powers yet, and the “new” Mystra may have different ideas and styles of operating than the old one. So NO rules representation of the Chosen can be complete -- to say nothing of the fact that even Mystra and Azuth can’t foresee how becoming a Chosen will affect unique personal properties already possessed by the individual (Halaster is a very different being from Dove, right?). You’ve covered this neatly with your “Unknown Powers” notation.
Right, caveats established. Onward . . . to a minor glitch, right away:
“Appearance: The Chosen of Mystra appear no different than other creatures of their type, however their hair (if any) takes on a silver-white hue.” Not quite; only offspring of Mystra (that is, of a mortal host mother in which Mystra is blood-present) gain the silver hair; the fact that she “had” these daughters in order to make them Chosen is incidental to the silver tresses (although, yes, gaining Chosen was her only motive for bringing the seven women into being). That’s why the Seven have it, and Elminster and Khelben and other Chosen don’t.
To the silver fire combat/harmful discharge effects, I would add (I’m speaking casually here, not framing specific rules) that Chosen can unleash it with fingertip precision from, yes, their fingertips (or eyes) as a finger-width straight beam, and so cut laser-like through things (including magical barriers and effects, into which they can cut ‘windows’ in the same way as they could cut a lock out of a metal door, or neatly separate a pane of glass from its frame). In addition, if they stick their fingers into the blood of someone, or onto a trail of blood that leads unbroken to a creature, or bite or kiss the creature so as to directly (i.e. body to body touch, not via a weapon or item) reach the creature’s bloodstream, they can unleash harmful or healing silver fire effects throughout the creature (remember The Simbul crawling all over the wounded Elminster?) by acting on its blood-flow.
Otherwise, this seems just fine to me -- and as for the Name and Song Attunement ability inclusion being contradictory to the printed rules: no worries. Specific NPCs often “break” the rules, and this means the rules need to be amended (or the breaking ignored), not that the NPCs should all be changed. I view it this way: if a designer wants to tell me that Noble NPC Noldor isn’t a cavalier any longer, but is now a fighter with this or that prestige class, that’s fine, because the rules systems are merely a way of expressing game mechanics, but if the change in rules systems now means Noldor should only know, say (I’m making numbers up, here) 6 languages, but we already know he knows 8 languages, guess what: the 8 languages is established Realmslore, so he does indeed know 8 languages. He doesn’t magically, overnight, “forget” 2 of them. If the designer wants Noldor to only have 6 languages, he has to come up with an in-the-Realms reason for it (e.g. an illithid tentacle started to eat his brain, but got chopped off, leaving his mastery of two tongues “forever scrambled”). That’s the way the original Realms agreement stands, despite some instances of Realmslore being changed over time and different products and different editions.
So, for what it’s worth, I like this template -- and if I was running 3e or 3.5e in my home Realms campaign, I’d adopt it pronto. (As it is, I’m a storytelling DM who uses no game rules more often than not, as Krash alluded to, and whose players vote on which rules system we “officially” use . . . which is why we happen to still be using 2nd Edition.) Thank you for your work, and for sharing it with us.
Now, George Krashos (whom I regard as an old friend, though I’m sure “old” is not a word he’ll receive joyously :}) commented: “Personally, I'd get far more FR utility out of a write-up you did on the Simbul that told me what her five favourite ballads are, tipple of choice, what happened that last dozen or so times she cast 'legend lore' and whether she has and friendships/alliances with any dragons in the East.” That’s true, too. So I hereby promise that I will reveal a few more tidbits of lore about The Simbul over the months to come. I prefer the small, personal, odd stuff that DMs can use to add colour to a character (like favourite sayings) rather than dates ruled, kings overthrown, dragons wrestled into submission, and so on. The Hooded One used to call this my “Show me the colour of her underwear” preference, but for The Simbul (the character, not you :}) the answer to that is: she doesn’t wear any. :}

So saith Ed. I suppose I should chime in with the smart remark here that I’m not wearing any just now, either, but though that happens to be the truth, it’s just too easy.
So fair faring until next, all.
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  05:16:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And, as promised, Ed’s words to kuje31 re. canon (Athenon/Will, I promise I’ll tell some Ed as DM stories, to go with the ones in the early single-digit pages of this thread, the moment life spares me the time to do more than snatch and toss Ed’s words to waiting scribes . . . which may be five or six days from now) :

Although many licensed Realms products have given some designers fits over the years (and yes, the elf queen who appeared in the Wealdath in the BG II game was one such matter), the Volo's Guide to BG II is indeed canon. I can’t personally speak for the BG novels being canon.
What I can say is that, although gamers and fans hold many different personal positions on what is and what is not canon, the original Realms agreement is pretty clear on this: anything I write or say about the Realms IS official canon (hmm, sounds almost papal, doesn’t it?), although future in-print products can “fix” things I write or say and then the revision becomes canon, AS LONG AS it’s an in-the-Realms explanation. (To make up a hypothetical but entirely fictitious example, if a BATTLESYSTEM --remember that? -- product came out that changed the class and stats of an established Realms character, that alteration would NOT be a canon change, because it’s a rules sytem detail that can be ascribed as being unique to BATTLESYSTEM: “Well, in your AD&D game King Thog is still a 7th level barbarian, but in BATTLESYSTEM terms, he’s a YY” UNLESS the BATTLESYSTEM product stated that King Thog was transformed by a god into a YY.)
So, yes, my sourcebook is canon, and I’d assume the novels and “the stats for the characters in those novels that are in Dragon” are canon, too. However, that last bit IS an assumption on my part.
But yes, like it or not, if I say it, it’s canon. Which is why, of course, I say so little, and in such guarded terms. :}

So saith Ed, grinning cheesily as he types that last sentence, no doubt. [ Like this: ] Canon debates always seem to me to be in the same category as arguing about those angels on the head of that pin with an atheist, but never mind. If it keeps us all talking to each other, and the elverquisst flowing . . .
THO
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  06:55:01  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Hmm... elverquisst! aahhh... BATTLESYSTEM!

Now, if I could find both, and join them together...
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  06:55:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Thank's Ed. :)

Hope to see you on the 20th! El's Daughter is good so far as well, as usual!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  07:02:08  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
As Kuje arch Nemesis in the "Are the Computer games Canon" debate

I have a differing view

To me for it to be canon it has to be reflected in the Gaming Material for example During the BG series the City of Saradash is razed to the ground by one of the Bhaalspawn however there is no mention of this (or any of the other events in the BG and NWN series, ie no mention of Plague in Neverwinter or the rise of a 2nd Netherese city) in the FRC or any other post FRC product. There isnt even a mention of it in the Timeline. Now theres some fairly major events in the Bg series like the destruction of Saradash, the wiping out of most of the Leadership of the Twisted Rune, the potential rise of a new god etc if the games where canon there would surely be a mention of it.

The latest Neverwinter nights game Hordes of the Underdark resulted in a certain Arch Devil burning down a fairly large section of Waterdeep, next year where going to get a Waterdeep Source book to go with yours and Elaines novel (You may well even be working on said source book) now will the Waterdeep source book say anything about Mephilstopheles visit and the destruction he left in his wake? I suspect we wont hear a peep about it.

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  09:10:53  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
<<< 1)Is there any piece of Realmslore on the hamlets of Ulgoth's Beard and Lathtarl's Lantern apart from the information released in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast? >>>

I think there was a 2e Dungeon adventure set in one of these two towns by Paul Culotta. (Going from memory here.)

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  09:42:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Now, George Krashos (whom I regard as an old friend, though I’m sure “old” is not a word he’ll receive joyously :}) commented: “Personally, I'd get far more FR utility out of a write-up you did on the Simbul that told me what her five favourite ballads are, tipple of choice, what happened that last dozen or so times she cast 'legend lore' and whether she has and friendships/alliances with any dragons in the East.” That’s true, too. So I hereby promise that I will reveal a few more tidbits of lore about The Simbul over the months to come. I prefer the small, personal, odd stuff that DMs can use to add colour to a character (like favourite sayings) rather than dates ruled, kings overthrown, dragons wrestled into submission, and so on. The Hooded One used to call this my “Show me the colour of her underwear” preference, but for The Simbul (the character, not you :}) the answer to that is: she doesn’t wear any. :}

Oh goody, a fluffy Simbul! And if you get the chance Ed you might want to tell us what Alassra did to our dear Elminster after he returned from Avernus. She was probably so torn between relief that he was back and fury at what "might have happened" that she gave him ... well, I'll let you fill in the details whilst I sympathise with that poor deathless archmage.

Oh, and a big thanks to you Ed for coming to Candlekeep. Some of us have had the very good fortune to be able to drop you a line over the years (and gods forbid, see you face to face ... *grumble something about stupid Pacific Ocean* ...) but I can say that 'sharing you' is surprisingly more fun that I expected it to be. It's great to see how we all take these snippets of realmslore and hopefully weave them into the greater whole whilst coming up with our own additional FR work to complement your thoughts and musings. It may be a tottering edifice at times, but it sure is mighty impressive. Thanks again.

-- George Krashos "the Elder"

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  12:27:20  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Oh goody, a fluffy Simbul! And if you get the chance Ed you might want to tell us what Alassra did to our dear Elminster after he returned from Avernus. She was probably so torn between relief that he was back and fury at what "might have happened" that she gave him ... well, I'll let you fill in the details whilst I sympathise with that poor deathless archmage.
And, perhaps, if you don't mind, could you also let us know if that particular treatment convinced Elminster to go live with Storm as regular peasant farmers devoid of any powers whatsoever? (other than the power to split wood in the naked, of course!)

PDK
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  13:53:02  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message
<<< Name and Song Attunement (Su): Whenever a Chosen’s name or the Rune of the Chosen is spoken, the Chosen hears it and the next nine words uttered by the being that spoke her name or recited the song. This ability does not inhibit or interfere with concentration, and can be suppressed or resumed as a free action. >>>

What's interesting is that this ability is left out of the Chosen of Mystra template (FRCS, page 247), Simbul write-up (FRCS, page 200), Storm write-up (FRCS, page 140), and Khelben write-up (FRCS, page 275) but is included in the write-up of Alustriel (FRCS, page 276).

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  14:44:13  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Oooooo, yes! MORE Simbul fluff and stories, please! I love that character, but as a Dungeon Master I need to know a lot more about her. Otherwise, she ends up as a one-note Wolverine (get mad, blast a few more dozen Red Wizards, lip off Elminster and everyone else, leave). I need a few more triggers for her temper, ways to calm her, stuff like that.

Triggers for her temper? What am I SAYING?
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  14:49:39  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Hey, everybody: forgot to mention. Amazon has put up a Publishers Weekly review of Ed's NEXT book, The Silent House, in the series he's doing for TOR. It sounds awesome. First Ed review I've seen outside a gaming mag that doesn't dismiss his writing as 'gaming crap.' Could our Ed be guilty of (gasp) literature?
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2004 :  16:05:59  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Good to see Ed's Tor editors giving him freeer rein. And up standard sword-and-sorcery fare.

Could we have a bit more Realms-style swearing? You can be REALLY RUDE if you like. (We got Darsar's swearwords before Faerûn's, in the first Band of Four book.)

Other Terms from "Words To The Wise":
quote:
In the Realms, “Power,” capitalized, means “divine magical powers.”
Where we would say “a moment or two,” most humans in the Realms say “a breath or two”—and what we would call a minute is “a goodly breath or three.”
Dwarves tend to call the same span of time (actually, anything up to about three minutes) “but a little while,” whereas a halfling would call the same span of time “a long song.” To a halfling, a minute is “a tune,” and 10 minutes is “three long songs.” Most halflings tend to speak of longer time periods, within a day, in terms of how much the sun has progressed.
And the epigram:
quote:
“How else can we touch each other, down the passing years, save by words?”
Laeral of the Nine,
Thoughts On Life And Wizardry
Year of the Snow Winds
Go to Top of Page

Taelohn
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  02:36:47  Show Profile  Visit Taelohn's Homepage Send Taelohn a Private Message
quote:
So NO rules representation of the Chosen can be complete -- to say nothing of the fact that even Mystra and Azuth can’t foresee how becoming a Chosen will affect unique personal properties already possessed by the individual (Halaster is a very different being from Dove, right?)

Ho, what's this... Halaster, you say?

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  04:10:23  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Regarding chosen

If the chosens powers are going to be different even between those of the same god perhaps they should make a Table sytem similar to that used to create magic items in the DMGs
ie when you bestow a the chosen template on a creature you roll to see what they get

fo example A chosen of X gets 1 Major power 1 Medium power and 1 minor power

Minor powers

1-33 Minor Power 1
34-66 Minor Power 2
67-100 Minor Power 3

Medium power

1-33 Medium Power 1
34-66 Medium Power 2
67-100 Medium Power 3

Major powers

1-33 Major Power 1
34-66 Major Power 2
67-100 Major power 3

This would make The Simbul, Elminster and Storm all different in terms of there chosen powers

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Proc
Acolyte

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  04:32:31  Show Profile  Visit Proc's Homepage Send Proc a Private Message
A small question for Ed...

I'm just about to embark on a new campaign where my character is starting as a Civilar in the Waterdeep Watch, and the other players are members of the watch team assigned to me. I was curious if you knew any particular sayings or a traditional salute given to a superior officer? Is there anything like the modern military salute?(snapping your hand up to your forehead and back down again...) Thank you kindly for any reply.

Come to think of it, I'm sort of looking forward to ordering around my fellow players...

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  06:08:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Taelohn

quote:
So NO rules representation of the Chosen can be complete -- to say nothing of the fact that even Mystra and Azuth can’t foresee how becoming a Chosen will affect unique personal properties already possessed by the individual (Halaster is a very different being from Dove, right?)

Ho, what's this... Halaster, you say?

If you're asking if Halaster is a Chosen, Ed has previously stated that he is not.

quote:
1. Halaster has been around for a LONG time, and for almost all of that time he’s been an enigma. Steven Schend and I pretty well agreed that he was only insane as long as he was in Undermountain, and it seems that ‘the new’ Mystra has freed him from the worst magical effects of its thrall, returning him to sanity. She did NOT make him a Chosen, but instead made a ‘separate peace’ with him, giving him the status of a free-willed agent (from time to time she’ll ask him to do something for her, with new spells or augmented powers as his reward or price, but she will do absolutely nothing to coerce him into service, nor look upon him unfavorably if he refuses).
Whether he’ll become a threat to the wider Realms, or a ‘good guy,’ depends on him. Right at the moment, I personally have no plans for a Halaster novel, but it wouldn’t surprise me if the good folks at WotC are pondering this topic for some scribe’s pen. He is a perfect main character for a pull-out-the-stops spellhurling novel, after all. :}

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Taelohn
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  07:09:50  Show Profile  Visit Taelohn's Homepage Send Taelohn a Private Message
Indeed... but he said "becoming a Chosen" in the more recent quote, rather than referring to those that already are. I took the fact that he used Halaster as example (as opposed to Elminster, Khelben, Sammaster, any of whom could be considered "different than Dove") to imply he may become one, at a future date... or at least that Mystra was considering it.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  07:50:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Good Gods,

Ed out did himself on Elminster's Daugther. So many things unanswered and so many surprises!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 13 May 2004 19:12:35
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  12:17:33  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

As Kuje arch Nemesis in the "Are the Computer games Canon" debate

I have a differing view

To me for it to be canon it has to be reflected in the Gaming Material for example During the BG series the City of Saradash is razed to the ground by one of the Bhaalspawn however there is no mention of this (or any of the other events in the BG and NWN series, ie no mention of Plague in Neverwinter or the rise of a 2nd Netherese city) in the FRC or any other post FRC product. There isnt even a mention of it in the Timeline. Now theres some fairly major events in the Bg series like the destruction of Saradash, the wiping out of most of the Leadership of the Twisted Rune, the potential rise of a new god etc if the games where canon there would surely be a mention of it.

The latest Neverwinter nights game Hordes of the Underdark resulted in a certain Arch Devil burning down a fairly large section of Waterdeep, next year where going to get a Waterdeep Source book to go with yours and Elaines novel (You may well even be working on said source book) now will the Waterdeep source book say anything about Mephilstopheles visit and the destruction he left in his wake? I suspect we wont hear a peep about it.

Just to point out, Dargoth - the Throne of Bhaal novel has not got a DR date, unlike Baldur's Gate I, and Shadows of Amn. From that I believe we can assume that the events therein have not happened yet (the burning of Sarasush, the Bhaalspawn war). As novels are canon (according to most people), it should happen eventually, though.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  12:33:46  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
Mr. Greenwood,

Just out of interest, how well do you know the various FR computer games? And what NPC/Henchman from any of them, did you like the most, if you know them well enough to say?

My personal favourite was definitely Aerie.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  19:54:52  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Good Gods,

Ed out did himself on Elminster's Daugther. So many things unanswered and so many surprises!

Agreed, to anyone reading in the forum, I highly recommend this novel especially if you are a DM or game in Cormyr.

Cormyr's future in about 15/20 gaming years is going to veddy interesting with Azoun V and well.....someone else to come.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2004 :  22:25:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
Agreed, to anyone reading in the forum, I highly recommend this novel especially if you are a DM or game in Cormyr.

Cormyr's future in about 15/20 gaming years is going to veddy interesting with Azoun V and well.....someone else to come.

Yup, yup! I've been pondering the repercussions and the new realms lore in that novel since early last night when I finished it. Bad Ed, bad! Leaving the last two pages or so to drop a BIG bombshell! :)

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  00:41:35  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
I have a few question on Planar mechanics.

Are there living people on the planes? Like a version of Planescape? With cities and towns on the planes around portals?

Also are there more planetouched living in larger numbers on the planes? Do they make up a greater number there?

What kind of people would live on the plane?

Just curious. Thanks.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Metis
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2004 :  05:00:57  Show Profile  Visit Metis's Homepage Send Metis a Private Message
Greetings once again,

The campaign inspired and full of tidbits provided by Ed I've been running for the last several sessions has left the players clueless to their surroundings and among the ruins of the Wizard's Reach.

I was wondering if Ed would be able to provide any information on the history (recent and ancient) of that region. Any other tidbits about smaller communities or things of that sort would also be welcome, of course.

Hope to hear from you soon, thanks!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000