Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 81

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  13:49:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. Ed apologizes for his continuing silence: he's still up to eyebrows and then some in getting the Waterdeep novel "done" and in preparing for his signing tour (Elminster's Daughter: out very soon now, and his next Aglirta book from TOR, The Silent House, in mid-June).
He did, however, want me to pass on two things: chariots are known but uncommon in the Realms because they work best on dry, hard, flat roads, and mire very easily in mud. So within a Cali****e or Old Empires or more southerly city, yes, but elsewhere: not so often seen. Outside cities, most folks either walk, ride, or want to haul more weight than a chariot can, and so end up with some sort of cart or wagon.
Regarding kuje31 and the request to host Ed's ramblings: he feels it would be best to share Realmslore as widely as possible, so by all means share it. He intends to continue posting here, through me, and doesn't want anyone to be upset, legally or otherwise. In his words, "By all means hand it to the WizO's . . . or ask them to link to it, if you prefer. I just want Realms fans to have continued access to Realmslore, however we can do that."
Fare thee well for now,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  13:59:10  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, everyone. This is by way of being Ed's reply to kuje31 re. germs, diseases, and hygiene:

Most civilized people in the Realms know that disease transferral works "sorta like this for shaking fever, like that for blacktongue," and so on. They disagree on treatments (aside from rest, care, bathing and purgatives, careful feeding of observed specifics), except for remembering what worked for them and their friends. The reasons for these diagreements are the various churches, most of whom are doing their level best to keep influence and control (and a continuing flow of coins for healings) by spreading misinformation (at the lower ranks, usually unwittingly) as to exactly how this or that disease is best treated--and these (as with real-world doctors) turn into heated professional disagreements. "Bad hygiene" for the Realms means wash hair every four days or so and before special occasions, bathe "smelly areas" every night if possible, scented oil plus sand-scrub when bathing impossible...not reeking, filthy bodies, okay?

Thus saith Ed. Your Hooded Lady must go now...
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3295 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  15:57:05  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Here's my compiled, probably incomplete list of disease, illness, and sickness in the Realms:

fevers; blacklung fever, blacktongue fever, marsh fever, shaking fever
diseases; darkrot, typhus (early reference, different name probably used)
wasting diseases (one =leprosy)
rotting diseases
blood diseases
plagues; featherlung, Spotted Plague, the Shaking Plague (Scardale)
cankers
mental illnesses: paranoia, pyromania, delusions
magical diseases: lycanthropy, mummy rot (flesh rot), green rot/scaly death (Talona)

heartstop
winterchill fever
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  22:30:56  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello, all. Ed apologizes for his continuing silence: he's still up to eyebrows and then some in getting the Waterdeep novel "done" and in preparing for his signing tour (Elminster's Daughter: out very soon now, and his next Aglirta book from TOR, The Silent House, in mid-June).

Does Ed know where he'll be touring? Or where we'll be able to find out?
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
129 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  00:44:31  Show Profile  Send Bruce Donohue a Yahoo! Message Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does Ed know where he'll be touring? Or where we'll be able to find out?

BobRo, I think Ed mentioned that his book signing would be sometime in May in Cobourg for Elminster's Daughter, I think at Wendy's Book Shop (where it was hinted that there might also be finger food served for the occasion), and that there was another signing in Peterborough, not too long after the one in Couburg.

That's is Cobourg, Ontario, Canada for those of you that don't know, and Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.

I think that THO could will ask ED and let us know I am sure when it is confirmed for May for those two areas.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  02:08:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ah, yes…I was Elminster’s Stunt Double….

Gareth, Ed has been asked at least twice to write scripts for a Realms movie (on spec, in his free time). Being as he has to hack out “free time” with a pickaxe, no script has happened yet. Me, I just want to see HIM play Elminster on the silver screen…as long as I get to be Storm (giggles, thrusts out hip, bats eyelashes and probably something else). Of course, if they insist on restricting us non-pros to tiny supporting roles, I suppose I could be a passing priestess of Loviatar.

I’ll try to get Ed’s latest tour schedule update, but I can confirm that this coming weekend, the first Saturday and Sunday in May, he’ll be a special guest at the Great Canadian Baycon (a gaming convention held at the Hamilton Convention Centre in Hamilton, Ontario). The con has an admission charge, there’s a website you should be able to find with a simple Google search, and Ed will be appearing 11-3 on Sat and 11-2 on Sunday (insider tip: Ed has to drive over a 150 miles through TERRIBLE commuter traffic to reach this place, so he may be a LITTLE late, each day).
THO
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2877 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  03:08:23  Show Profile
quote:
I’ll try to get Ed’s latest tour schedule update, but I can confirm that this coming weekend, the first Saturday and Sunday in May, he’ll be a special guest at the Great Canadian Baycon (a gaming convention held at the Hamilton Convention Centre in Hamilton, Ontario). The con has an admission charge, there’s a website you should be able to find with a simple Google search, and Ed will be appearing 11-3 on Sat and 11-2 on Sunday (insider tip: Ed has to drive over a 150 miles through TERRIBLE commuter traffic to reach this place, so he may be a LITTLE late, each day).
THO

Why didn't someone tell me this earlier?!! I would have taken the bus for the three km to get there, but now I have other commitments... Oh, and tell Ed to bring a gas mask or such-the air is only getting worse.(He should get what I'm talking about.)
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  05:11:01  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:

Gareth, Ed has been asked at least twice to write scripts for a Realms movie (on spec, in his free time). Being as he has to hack out “free time” with a pickaxe, no script has happened yet. Me, I just want to see HIM play Elminster on the silver screen…as long as I get to be Storm (giggles, thrusts out hip, bats eyelashes and probably something else). Of course, if they insist on restricting us non-pros to tiny supporting roles, I suppose I could be a passing priestess of Loviatar.
Hmm... I like both roles you are entertaining for a potential Elminster movie! Any pictures portfolio you want to share with your friendly Purple Screening Manager?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  05:46:50  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Oh, and tell Ed to bring a gas mask or such-the air is only getting worse.(He should get what I'm talking about.)

Try Washington, DC. It's one of the worst cities in the world. Crime, pollution, coverups, murder, vandalism . . . and when you come off of Capitol Hill it's even worse!

Seriously, the air her is so thick in the summer you feel like you could walk on it.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  06:03:44  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Obviously then, you've never been to Australia. The air is so thick here, I could almost walk to the tip of India, from the coast of Western Australia...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2877 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  06:09:55  Show Profile
Well, you see, Hamilton is the asthma capital of either the world or Canada-I forget which...Oh, and Ed? Bring along something flame-retardant for your car-you don't want to know how many car fires we've had...
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5579 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  09:37:43  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

Could we kindly leave such scrolls as this dedicated to questions for the great Ed. It makes The Hooded One's task much easier when collating material.

Thank ye

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Malaug
Seeker

Australia
20 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  14:19:39  Show Profile  Visit Malaug's Homepage Send Malaug a Private Message
Gee I go away for a while a post racks up 27 pages. Three days later I've read them all and am content.

Just a few questions for Ed:-

In "The Temptation of Elminster" at the end we see him coming across the Seven Sisters. In all probability he stays and cares for them for a while. Then in "Elminster in Hell", he remembers a duel he had with The Simbul on some Island with earth shaking spells being hurled around. Sorry if I'm interpreting this the wrong way, but shouldn't he know The Simbul from his time of rearing the Seven Sisters?

Also, what is Tiamat's deific position at the moment. I have heard various rumours that she was killed by adventurers (to tie in with the First Edition "Throne of Bloodstone" Supramodule) and her deific essence stolen. I take it that this is not the case, seeing during the Times of Trouble should killed Gilgeam. Is she still around and kicking?

Finally, just off topic, I am a hugh fan of Robert E. Howard I was just wondering what you personally (and you to THO) thought of his work. Not just Conan, but also Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn, El Borak - just to name a few.

I would also just like to say thanks for sharing your hoards of knowledge with us all, hopefully one day I will get to meet you face to face. Should I hold out any hope of you coming to Australia, more specifically Victoria, more specifically Melbourne?
Go to Top of Page

Malaug
Seeker

Australia
20 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  14:29:54  Show Profile  Visit Malaug's Homepage Send Malaug a Private Message
Just another quick question. Will we been seeing Belkram and Itharr again? These two characters are just to good to dissappear entirely!
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

617 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  15:31:46  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
<<Also, what is Tiamat's deific position at the moment. I have heard various rumours that she was killed by adventurers (to tie in with the First Edition "Throne of Bloodstone" Supramodule) and her deific essence stolen. I take it that this is not the case, seeing during the Times of Trouble should killed Gilgeam. Is she still around and kicking?>>
Malaug, I am no Ed or THO but I believe I know the answer to your question. Tiamat is still alive and kicking in FR, and I believe by now she has entered fully into the regular patheon. (no longer just being part of the Mulhoround pantheon) Also Tiamat is one of the few gods that have aspects of herself scattered aross the known multiverse. Tyr being a good example for my last statement.
Hope that was clear as mud for you,
Bakra Lord of the Outlying Thread

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

zeathiel
Seeker

15 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  20:45:47  Show Profile  Visit zeathiel's Homepage Send zeathiel a Private Message
A question for Ed,

One of my favorite characters is Nelyssa Shendean, the paladin who leads the Riders of Mistledale. I would like to know more regarding Chauntean paladins. Also, could you give a physical description of Nelyssa if possible?

My Thanks

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  21:57:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Don't answer Zeathiel's question! It's evil!

Well, it was post #666, anyway.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  02:23:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
Wizards have posted the times and locations for Eds Signing tour

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/edgtour2004

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

zeathiel
Seeker

15 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  05:45:28  Show Profile  Visit zeathiel's Homepage Send zeathiel a Private Message
Hmmm, that number keeps coming up day to day in my life. I'm starting to worry.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  16:11:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hoo-hah. Important Public Service Announcement:

Through no fault of their own, Wizards has missed Ed’s Cobourg, Ontario tour date. Ed will probably attend the May 13th event, but it’s a hundred-dollar-a-plate dinner event in support of three local “literary” authors and literacy in the community (none of those authors is Ed).
His Cobourg tour stop is:
Friday, May 7th, starting at 7 pm
At the Avid Reader Books & Magazines store
500 Division Street (that’s inside the Midtown Mall; Division Street/County Hwy 45 is the easternmost of the two Cobourg Highway 401 exits – for Americans: the 401 is Ontario’s BIG interstate)
Finger food will be served, and the affable owner of the Avid Reader is Wendy Sharko: you can call her at the bookstore at 905-372-7233!

For the REALLY well-heeled scribes, Ed will be at Book Expo America in Chicago this June, signing, on the Friday of that trade fair, and if present plans come to pass, will be a speaker (along with Geoffrey Landis and Vernor Vinge) at the ALA Annual Conference in Orlando at the end of June -- and Ed will be interviewing Sir Arthur C. Clarke by vid-phone there.

THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  17:54:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Malaug, Ed toured Melbourne in 1994 (on a 5-week jaunt arranged and hosted by the legendary "Uncle" Wes Nicholson), and loved it. He's not sure when he'll next have time and money enough to visit again.
He can, however, start to answer some of your questions through me. First, Bakra's answer to you re. Tiamat is right on.
Second, Elminster raised SOME of the Seven Sisters, not all of them, and their full identities and roster was kept secret from him by Mystra for some centuries. He also lost touch with a lot of them later (again, Mystra's doing: she NEEDED them to be independent, not "Uncle Elminster's little gals"), and in some cases didn't know who they were in his first contacts with their 'new' selves. Ed has plans to someday write more fiction about their rearing, if he can arrange it with the good folks in Book Publishing at Wizards (and the same goes for the two male Harpers of the Wizards Three, B and I :}).
Ciao for now, scribes!
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  18:50:42  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message
Maybe some one could help me find this.

I've been trying to recall the passage that hinted or outright said that the Srinshee was now a Chosen..... Or am I confused on if there was ever such a passage. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 30 Apr 2004 18:51:54
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  21:08:25  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Wizards have posted the times and locations for Eds Signing tour

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/edgtour2004

Sweet, one of these is like 50 feet from where I'm working this summer.
Go to Top of Page

Anani of Sune
Acolyte

Sweden
1 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  22:29:25  Show Profile  Visit Anani of Sune's Homepage Send Anani of Sune a Private Message
Pardon a newb.

If the oaths and curses aren't a closed topic I wouldn't mind a few Sunite ones if there are any. Come to that, I'd not mind any information about those faithful of Sune, but the curses would be real nice.

And seeing as this is my first post. Thanks for the Realms Ed, they're greatly appreciated. (I'm Swedish, we pretty much refer to evryone by their first name, writing anything other than Ed felt silly).
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

617 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  00:35:14  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Maybe some one could help me find this.

I've been trying to recall the passage that hinted or outright said that the Srinshee was now a Chosen..... Or am I confused on if there was ever such a passage. :)

Today is your lucky day, I was reading Elminster in Hell while on my break from a certain hideous research paper on Dryopithecus and it is on page 342 of the above mentioned book. And it invovles Vangy.
Bakra Lord of the Outlying Thread

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000