Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 67

Alathayn
Acolyte

Germany
14 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2004 :  21:25:42  Show Profile  Visit Alathayn's Homepage Send Alathayn a Private Message
Thanks, Ed, that's a great answer! and thanks to you hooded one as well, for delivering it. Makes me wonder what happens if a Set worshiping red wizard tries to melt the two thinks (Priest of Set and Red Wizard). Well he would propably be slain soon enough "for leaving the traditions of the Red Wizards".
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  18:28:02  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, SiriusBlack. Ed’s toiling away on the Waterdeep book right now, and asked me to quickly answer your Rhauligan question.
No spoilers for ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER follow, but merely a summary of all we know about Rhauligan.

Glarasteer Rhauligan wasn’t (as far as I recall) in BEYOND THE HIGH ROAD, which Troy wrote. He was introduced in CORMYR: A NOVEL, got ‘his own story’ in REALMS OF MYSTERY (“The Grinning Ghost of Taverton Hall”), and appeared as a supporting character in Ed’s REALMS OF SHADOW story (“When Shadows Come Seeking A Throne”).
In addition, Ed’s Dragon Annual piece on Cormyr included the Purple Dragon Highknight prestige class, and explained that the Highknights are something akin to the James Bonds of the Cormyrean government (Rhauligan is, of course, a Highknight).
Ed confirms that he created Rhauligan long, long ago for fiction purposes (an as-yet-still-secret long-term plot idea that predates TSR’s publication of the Realms, and that may never see print if the published Realms takes another direction), used him in play exactly ONCE with us Knights (he remained a non-speaking, nameless background character assembled in a room with some Knights, and was never developed more fully because our characters didn’t say or do things that would have caused that level of involvement in play), and put him into the Cormyr novel to give Dauneth Marliir a plausible way into protected Palace and Court areas.
Rhauligan is a Harper, a bit of a rogue, and has demonstrated his personal loyalty to Alusair and Filfaeril often enough in the past to be trusted to remain far more independent and mysterious than many Highknights (though Vangerdahast insisted on prying into the minds and habits of all Highknights, Rhauligan included). The Crown turns a blind eye to the smuggling and minor-stolen-item-fencing activities Rhauligan’s turret-top sales business has often provided a cover for.

So saith Ed. Rhauligan’s obviously becoming one of Ed’s favourites, and Ed once remarked to me that he’d love to do a book wherein Mirt, Rhauligan, Sharantyr, and Storm all get thrown together in some sort of adventure. I want to assure you and all scribes who read this that I forcefully expressed my extreme enthusiasm for this idea. Ah, several times.
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  18:30:40  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, gentles. This time, I’m tackling Maskanodel’s question (for Ed, who’s still pounding away at his keyboard as I post this).
This has been asked before, and Ed emphasized that almost all of the Chosen would be piles of bone-dust by now if they were unaugmented mortals like me and thou. He pointed out that all of them can choose the bodies and appearances they customarily inhabit (within limits; they can’t use the silver fire to give them stable augmentations to their abilities or physiques, so no growing tails or wings at will; spells must be used). The Simbul made a career down the years of Realmsplay of appearing as various birds, cats, fenceposts, discarded hats, and even stranger things. So the old wizard you see is Elminster’s chosen appearance of the day.
Obviously, he changed his favoured appearance.
What REALLY happened is that Wizards of the Coast wanted a different look for El for 3e to move him away from looking like the popular conception of Gandalf/Merlin/whatever. Precisely why they did that is an answer only they can give, but moving El away from Gandalf could quite easily be a part of it. Ed didn’t object, but it wasn’t idea. As I recall overhearing him say to Jim Butler of WotC (in the lobby of the Milwaukee Hilton, at GenCon) at the time: “Sure, as long as El and Khelben don’t end up looking too much like each other to confuse people.”

I’ve handed the Sharess and Dragonbreast ‘dark sister’ queries to Ed, and he’ll get to them ASAP, but I know he’s off to the Avid Reader in Cobourg tonight for another ELMINSTER’S DAUGHTER signing. After the inevitable reading (of some Bezrar and Malakar scenes, I believe), this one ought to be the most cozy “family chat” atmosphere of the entire tour, so if you have deep Realmslore queries and can get there, this’ll be your best chance to quiz Ed for an hour or so . . .
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  18:39:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Thy Lady Hooded yet again, tying up some loose ends.

Dargoth: I'm sorry. Ed tells me Mount Hotenow is one of those can’t-say-a-word-due-to-NDAs topic.

Alathayn, I’d say that your Red Wizard venerating Set will just have to keep things secret -- and show me a Red Wizard who DOESN’T have secrets!

Now, I myself have a question for a questioning scribe:
Athenon, you’re already familiar with the Calaunt information in the FORGOTTEN REALMS ADVENTURES hardcover rulebook, right?

Fair riding, all, for now!
THO
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  19:11:34  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi, SiriusBlack. Ed’s toiling away on the Waterdeep book right now, and asked me to quickly answer your Rhauligan question.

Personal service from The Hooded One? Hmm....I feel so.....special.

quote:

So saith Ed. Rhauligan’s obviously becoming one of Ed’s favourites, and Ed once remarked to me that he’d love to do a book wherein Mirt, Rhauligan, Sharantyr, and Storm all get thrown together in some sort of adventure. I want to assure you and all scribes who read this that I forcefully expressed my extreme enthusiasm for this idea. Ah, several times.

Add my enthusiasm for such a story as well, even a short story in an anthology. Rhauligan is quite an interesting character.

Thank you THO for taking the time to reply. Oh and if Ed Greenwood is ever too busy to reply to a question because he's involved with Waterdeep please tell him that this scribe will gladly take details on Waterdeep in lieu of answering one of my questions.

Especially if those details involve a certain moon elf.
Go to Top of Page

arilyn742
Seeker

Ireland
54 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  19:47:46  Show Profile  Visit arilyn742's Homepage Send arilyn742 a Private Message
O Great Hodded One, I come unto thee again to bask in thy infinite wisdom:

You said you would not tell us everything your original gaming group figured out in the primeval days, but I ask thee: What of these things have we figured out for ourselves already?

Yonde iru, mune no doko ka oku de
Itsumo kokoro odoru yume wo mitai
Kanashimi wa kazoekirenai keredo
Sono mukou de kitto anata ni aeru
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  20:02:56  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Why, Sirius, 'tis my pleasure!
You were right to chastise me for my overreaction in the Moon Doors thread (for which I also owe Shadowlord an apology – sorry!) and I owe you. So chastise me some more . . . it makes me purr.
As for Elaith, what other tidbit can I throw you? Hmmm, not much, just now. I can say the novel will PROBABLY let readers briefly visit a revel hosted by Elaith, and you might get a slight glimpse of Elaith as a landlord, but Ed’s not saying much about the book as it unfolds, out of respect for Elaine (Ed created Elaith, but wants Elaine to be free to tell any tale she wants to about the character, because she’s depicted him so wonderfully, and so says as little about Elaith as he can manage, so as to give her as much freedom in future for storytelling) and because novels have a way of changing during editing, and he doesn’t want to mislead with promises about things you’ll end up not seeing.
I do know he’s been involved with future game information about Waterdeep, and done some things for the WotC website on doings in Waterdeep that haven’t yet been posted, so there should be more Waterdhavian lore coming your way in the months and years ahead.
As a player, I sometimes find myself squealing with excitement and then knowing I can’t pass a single word of what I’ve heard or know along to anyone else. Let’s just say I hope even a tiny fraction of what I’ve seen of Waterdeep someday becomes available for you and other scribes. My main character has hidden to eavesdrop on balconies of noble mansions, made love on rooftops in North Ward, chased thieves down sewers in Castle Ward, opened tombs in the City of the Dead, impersonated drunken sailors in Dock Ward dives, skulked through City Guard tunnels inside Mount Waterdeep, and even fought a VERY strange monster in Mirt’s Mansion.
Ahhh, the memories.
Thanks, Sirius. My smiler is brighter now. (See?)
THO
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  20:31:21  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message
though i know that ed is busy these days, i just wanted to humbly (very humbly, strictly speaking) remind our hooded lady of my questions about the low road and that peculiar dwarven village in mistledale (page 26, somewhere in the upper third of the thread)... i hope i don´t appear presumptuous...

and thanks for the enlightenment about rhauligan! he is almost on the top of my "npc´s i´d like to bring into play soon"-list, and will appear soon, as some of my players are on the verge of building themselves lasting homes (castles, temples, towers...) in mistledale.

tauster
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2004 :  21:10:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

Why, Sirius, 'tis my pleasure!

Is that a minor pleasure or major pleasure?

quote:

You were right to chastise me for my overreaction in the Moon Doors thread (for which I also owe Shadowlord an apology – sorry!)and I owe you.

No need to apologize at least on this end. I more than understand you wishing to defend a creation from someone you care about. Plus, your reply to my questions more than made clear what you were trying to say. Thus, I wasn't upset at you, but more at someone else and his or her two-faced nature. But, alas, the less said on that poster the better as far as I'm concerned. My apologies to you if your blood pressure was at all elevated because of the matter.

quote:

So chastise me some more . . . it makes me purr.

Careful, I have four cats I cherish. So, I definitely know where to stroke to get a purr.

quote:

As for Elaith, what other tidbit can I throw you? Hmmm, not much, just now.

Morsel? Tidbit? Sentence? Novel outline?

quote:

I can say the novel will PROBABLY let readers briefly visit a revel hosted by Elaith, and you might get a slight glimpse of Elaith as a landlord,

That will work. Elaith as a landlord? I shudder to think of being late for the rent with him.

quote:

but Ed’s not saying much about the book as it unfolds, out of respect for Elaine (Ed created Elaith, but wants Elaine to be free to tell any tale she wants to about the character, because she’s depicted him so wonderfully, and so says as little about Elaith as he can manage, so as to give her as much freedom in future for storytelling) and because novels have a way of changing during editing, and he doesn’t want to mislead with promises about things you’ll end up not seeing.

An editor would dare to touch portions detailing Elaith? What is with these editors these days...so young...so foolish....so mortal.

quote:

I do know he’s been involved with future game information about Waterdeep, and done some things for the WotC website on doings in Waterdeep that haven’t yet been posted, so there should be more Waterdhavian lore coming your way in the months and years ahead.

Wonderful news to hear. This future game information, is it as a co-author? Or is Ed Greenwood just being consulted?

quote:

As a player, I sometimes find myself squealing with excitement and then knowing I can’t pass a single word of what I’ve heard or know along to anyone else. Let’s just say I hope even a tiny fraction of what I’ve seen of Waterdeep someday becomes available for you and other scribes.

If it ever becomes too much, feel free to email me anything you can't hold in. Nothing major, outline...rough draft.

quote:

My main character has hidden to eavesdrop on balconies of noble mansions, made love on rooftops in North Ward, chased thieves down sewers in Castle Ward, opened tombs in the City of the Dead, impersonated drunken sailors in Dock Ward dives, skulked through City Guard tunnels inside Mount Waterdeep, and even fought a VERY strange monster in Mirt’s Mansion.

Why do I have a feeling with a character you run this might have taken place all in one night?

quote:

Ahhh, the memories.
Thanks, Sirius. My smiler is brighter now. (See?)
THO

Wow, just talking to me gets the smile brighter? Imagine if I did touch.....hmmm....
Go to Top of Page

Athenon
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  04:34:56  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage Send Athenon a Private Message
Hooded Lady,

I am familiar with the FRA Hardback write up. I was just wondering if Ed had any other thoughts on the matter. I understand he's busy though. :-)

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana

Edited by - Athenon on 08 May 2004 04:36:36
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  23:07:52  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
This is one thing that really puzzles me. We hear all the time about how the Elves taught Humans magic ('We are one with the Weave' blah-di-blah *snore*) yet humans were one of the Creator Races; one of five who opened Gates to other realms and transported Elves (among others) into Faerun, and yet humans seemed unable to cast a single spell until the Elves 'generously' helped them rise out of Barbarism i.e Netheril etc

hmmmm Elven propoganda perhaps???

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers

Damian

[quote]Originally posted by Bruce Donohue

Though Elves have taught much magic to the Human Race, we see less and less of the influence nor do we see how they indeed

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2004 :  23:20:53  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
TUT TUT George

Loose Lips Sink Ships (or whatever the Realms version should be - Too Much Clack Brings Zhents in Black ??)

;)

BTW many thanks for your EXCELLENT North Timeline - can we expect to see something similar some time soon for somewhere else (Cormyrian Nobles/Impiltur etc?)

Thanks

Damian

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
And the more we see of the Lady Hooded One (pun intended ), the more obvious it is that she really enjoys teasing us!

Yes, it does appear that she likes it when we "butter" her up ...

-- George Krashos

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  02:43:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

TUT TUT George

Loose Lips Sink Ships (or whatever the Realms version should be - Too Much Clack Brings Zhents in Black ??)

[quote]

I am an impish soul I confess.:)

[quote]
BTW many thanks for your EXCELLENT North Timeline - can we expect to see something similar some time soon for somewhere else (Cormyrian Nobles/Impiltur etc?)

Many thanks. A labour of love - which will have to be updated again by the end of next year due to Waterdeep and ... "other" things. I wish these writers would stop playing with my North!

As for Impiltur, I am currently in the process of detailing the line of monarchs of that ancient realm (with obvious historical overlay) and hope to have something that's readable in a couple of months.

Cormyr is "done" and those with the pull (ala Ed) have all the material and hence can pass it on to WotC if they decide to do a Cormyr product. No word so far however ...

Given that DRAGON is now anti-fluff in terms of FR articles I can't see my Impiltur lineage getting any read time. I guess I'll have to hold onto it ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  04:05:20  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, scribes. Thy Lady Hooded doth bear the latest words from Ed, this time for tauster (who waited so patiently, and then reminded SO humbly that I was moved to interrupt Ed):

Ah, yes, the mysterious Glen. Here we go, questions answered by number:
1. From dragons (ha ha). Specifically, from a few [mainly evil, obviously] draconic individuals who enjoy mating (and sometimes even slaying a mate and seizing a new hoard), but have no intention of hatching young who may become rivals in time to come, but who see a ready way to increase their own wealth by selling eggs to a few bold dwarves who offer ready coin, by means of moots on peaktops (arranged by signal banners; dragons swoop down only if interested) rather than by daring to approach lairs and thus becoming eliminate-at-all-costs perils.
2. Therefore, very few of the eggs traded in Dale are stolen. Yes, gates/portals are used by some of the egg-traders. Concentrations of dragons are a logical source for eggs (being as the elder wyrms “on top” in such a community would see the dangers of population outstripping food supply, younger wyrms becoming frustrated at being shut out of power and so ganging up on older wyrms), but the locations of those concentrations are dwarven secrets. And yes, dragon-egg thief would be a VERY rare occupation.
The Low Road is a long Underdark route, known to certain dwarves, connecting Glen to the subterranean dwarf realm east of the Great Rift (see the map included with DWARVES DEEP). Rather than being a single long tunnel, the Low Road is a mental map of ‘safe’ passages known to certain dwarves, ‘the best way through the maze’ of natural and creature-made Underdark tunnels.
The dwarves have constructed small, defensible strongholds along it (including, yes, one just ‘below’ Glen itself), and also crafted many small refuges (hiding-chambers with caches of food, drink, weapons, splints, ropes, and tools) ‘on’ the Low Road, but the long route is neither a clear and obvious one, nor an unchanging one.
Drow and Underdark predators know that dwarves frequently travel north-south in this area of the Underdark, and are constantly attacking travellers they find and dwarf holds they discover—but it’s wrong to assume that “a quite large underground-keep must be neccessary to secure glen” against drow surface incursions, because drow have their own ongoing wars and their own foes, too (including deep gnomes and some quite greedy mind-flayers), and are kept quite busy with daily patrols and strife. Moreover, many drow communities are controlled by powerful drow trading families who dislike the trade expenses and disruptions of large-scale warfare, and avoid or discourage it whenever possible (it’s always easy for drow elders to allow hot-headed ‘warbrands’ to mount their own expeditions off into the Underdark, to either return victorious or -- far more often -- never be heard from again).
3. Therefore, Glen is one end of the Low Road, and Rimmitor (the DWARVES DEEP maps say “Rimmito” but this is a misprint) is the other, but there are many side-branches and various routes in between these two places.
4. Dwarves keep the names and locations of private family holds as secret as possible, so I can only say that as one travels south from Glen, the small communities of Fell’s Axe, Adaern, Muranthor, and Uldel’s Leap lie along the Low Road -- but precisely where they are, and the names of other places on the Road, remain mysterious. There’s also an aboleth-governed subterranean lake (name not known to Volo) along the Road, that as it passes this lake winds through a maze of half-flooded tunnels to discourage drow and other attacks.
5. The phrase ‘the Low Road’ is becoming well-known among dwarves and gnomes all over the Heartlands, and starting to creep into human awareness (although, among humans, only a few well-connected travelling merchants properly know what and where the Road is; thanks to a fanciful ballad, many humans think it’s a long, clear tunnel that runs deeper and deeper into the earth, that dying dwarves traverse in a pilgrimage to die before their gods in a vast cavern of bones). Dwarves and gnomes all know correctly WHAT the Low Road is [purpose, general route, and some features], but only a few know the correct route of the Road (in other words, a handful of hardy and daring traders enrich themselves using it, and on rare occasions serve as ‘guides’ to all others). They are the only group to use it (though of course drow and other interests raid small portions of it), and most of them are fierce individualists, rather than any sort of organized power group (though most of them share a fellowship of mutual respect, and from time to time form small, usually short-lived alliances and pacts).
6. Around all surface connections (there are rumored to be at least two others along the Road, neither of them in settled areas or near any surface hamlet), dwarves tend to prepare many ‘false door falling block’ traps, teeter-totter-floor fall-shaft traps, and the like, so that only those ‘in the know’ can safely pass between the Underdark and the Realms Above by choosing exactly the right route. In addition, the dwarves maintain garrisons in rooms built with firing-ports and many crossbows. A defender in one of these chambers commands a field of fire down the length of a long stretch of passage, and can snatch up a succession of crossbows or fire large ballistae. ‘Beneath’ Glen are three of these chambers, commanding passages that wind so as to pass all of them -- and two of the chambers are equipped with levers that let fall ceiling-frames weighted with rocks and fitted with spikes, onto the heads of unwelcome travellers moving around a ‘dogleg’ of passage (the trap being the entire ceiling of the dogleg, ten feet wide by about seventy feet long, and therefore impossible to avoid). In addition, the defenders of Glen keep a pack of wardogs that they can release into the tunnels through doors only they control -- and take care to keep these menaces hungry. They also have at least one ‘blindrun’ side-passage that ends in a chamber where a fearsome monster (reports vary as to its nature, probably because slain monsters aren’t always replaced by exactly the same sort of beast) is confined.
7. Traffic along the Low Road isn’t as frequent as one might expect, but all manner of goods can be carried. Small, portable and yet valuable items (such as gems) are favoured over bulk goods, but food (especially to surface folk, in really hard winters, and Underfolk, when drow and monster attacks are really fierce) can often be more valuable than the rarest gem.
8. A meeting between antagonistic races along the Road would almost undoubtedly be a battle. Among dwarves, and between dwarves and gnomes, there’s a "peace of the road" code, yes (though some dwarves probably only honour it if they think there might be witnesses to any attack on a hated rival), and some gnomes even operate a ‘rescue and healing’ service somewhere along the Road . . . but yes, hostile and rapacious races aren’t welcome on the Road.
I hope these replies are of help, tauster; sorry it’s taken me so long to hand these to the Hooded One (the Waterdeep book still rules me). And you’re welcome; we both enjoy doing sharing Realmslore. Fair fate for now!

So saith Ed, and I echo his sentiments. I’d happily recline and, er, bask here for a time, but I’m afraid if I fall asleep like this, wearing only my boots and the hood, Mr. Krashos might come along and slather me with butter! Ugh! Honey, yes, whipped cream even, but butter?
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  04:36:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

So saith Ed, and I echo his sentiments. I’d happily recline and, er, bask here for a time, but I’m afraid if I fall asleep like this, wearing only my boots and the hood, Mr. Krashos might come along and slather me with butter! Ugh! Honey, yes, whipped cream even, but butter?
THO

Never fear, dear Hooded One, for I've plenty of whipped cream and honey!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  11:47:34  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Impish? well no more than the good lady herself!! (BTW I like my new saying - might use it in the next game! )

Re North - Well Met Krash o'the North
Glad to hear that there are other irons in the fire, even if we are unlikely to see them in print *sigh* it really is a shame because the timeline IS excellent, so you deserve lots of thanks for putting it together. I for one would LOVE to see your Cormyr work included in a new Cormyr supplement, which fully detailed the Haunted Halls and Eveningstar in a MASSIVE BOX SET (Dear WoTC I wish for.....)

re Impiltur - I tell you what, I will help you spellcheck and proofread it, that way it will be perfect for when Dragon change their minds I wont mind, honest, consider it a favour - honest

LOL

Thanks George

Damian

quote:

[quote]

I am an impish soul I confess.:)

Many thanks. A labour of love - which will have to be updated again by the end of next year due to Waterdeep and ... "other" things. I wish these writers would stop playing with my North!

As for Impiltur, I am currently in the process of detailing the line of monarchs of that ancient realm (with obvious historical overlay) and hope to have something that's readable in a couple of months.

Cormyr is "done" and those with the pull (ala Ed) have all the material and hence can pass it on to WotC if they decide to do a Cormyr product. No word so far however ...

Given that DRAGON is now anti-fluff in terms of FR articles I can't see my Impiltur lineage getting any read time. I guess I'll have to hold onto it ...

-- George Krashos

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  20:48:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met again, gentles. I bring the words of Ed, as usual, and some swift answers of mine own, to whit: SiriusBlack, 'tis my understanding that Ed is being consulted (as in: Realmslore e-mails are flying back and forth) rather than officially being involved as a writer.
And, Sirius, you say the sweetest things (“Why do I have a feeling with a character you run this might have taken place all in one night?”). I shall have to * twinkle * in your direction. There. As for your touch and purr musings . . . well, now, we’ll just have to see, won’t we?
Ahem. I find it’s getting rather warm in here. So, without further ado, the words of Ed:

As promised, a glimpse of Cylyria Dragonbreast’s younger sister Amaleene. It now seems as if this lithe, thin, raven-haired accomplished mimic and actress is as ruthless and cold-blooded as humans get. For years, she played the part of Cylyria’s devoted and loving sister, acting as a Harper go-between and nurse to wounded Harpers as Those Who Harp grew stronger. Amaleene has a good singing voice and is skilled with the lyre, has rather plain looks but is usually well-dressed, and is always alert (seeing and hearing EVERYTHING around her) and forgets nothing. She has very good balance, and can move very quietly when she wants to.
She’s also a shrewd judge of individuals and of human nature, and is a sympathetic listener. For years she received Harper training and gathered knowledge -- and yet was adoit enough to become the secret lover of no less than two patriarchs of ‘first folk’ (noble) Berduskan families: Caunter and Jalarghar. In the case of Irwyn Caunter, she carried on a dalliance with his ambitious son Roryl at the same time.
Amaleene wormed information she wanted out of all of these contacts, until she was ready to make her move. It seems she was born with a talent for sorcery, and from a very early age has been able to conceal her true thoughts, memories, and knowledge behind a screen of mental falsehoods. It’s not known if she’s developed her sorcery much beyond this, because some of the things she’s since accomplished could have been done with magic items rather than spells.
Using Roryl Caunter as her dupe, she faked her own death in the early days of 1371 DR (bringing down undeserved Harper wrath on the Caunter family) and stole substantial wealth from both the Caunters and the Jalarghars, made it seem as if Harpers were responsible for the thefts, and vanished.
It seems she made use of gates (portals) known to the Harpers to move far across Faerun, to Telflamm, then Athkatla, and then briefly Luskan, Neverwinter, Myratma, and Waterdeep. Her present whereabouts are unknown.
In every city, Amaleene used her knowledge of local Harper agents and unfolding Harper activities to betray Harpers to their deaths and to seize wealth belonging to her victims. In Athkatla, she apparently seduced at least one city official, and by the time she reached Waterdeep, she seemed to be working with a mind flayer and a doppleganger with ease, skill, and (apparently) trust. The identities of these associates are unknown.
Amaleene Dragonbreast has some means of hiding from all magical or psionic attempts to locate, contact, or affect her, and she seems to enjoy tricking, harming, and robbing others, openly laughing and gloating during her thefts. On at least three occasions she’s impersonated a wife (with knowledge, mimicry, and presumably some magical means of altering her body) well enough to deceive a husband, and she shows no signs of settling down in any one location. Beyond sheer enjoyment in what she’s doing, her motives are unknown. She does harm to Harpers when doing so will allow her to accomplish something else, but passes them by or even aids them at other times. She’s known to carry and use poisoned weapons and to poison drinks with ingested poisons, and is thought to have gathered a small collection of magic items.
She once convinced a Calishite merchant (whom she subsequently slew; a hidden servant observed both the demonstration and the murder) that she was more than a human by producing a stirge from a carry-coffer. Claiming it was a “pet,” she bared herself and let it drink blood at will, saying she did this often to give it strength. Though this demonstration left her visibly weak and pale, she had strength enough left, after the stirge was sated, to both dance for the merchant and then to “make strenuous love” to him.
Amaleene remains a mystery, and has been seen operating alone as well as with the doppleganger and mind flayer; if she belongs to any fell organizations, no Harper yet knows of it.

So saith Ed. His words left me with a shiver: we Knights spoke with Amaleene once, in Berdusk, before all of this -- and she seemed a kind, meek young thing devoted to nursing wounded Harpers in hiding. Hmmm . . . Ed, how about a novel?
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  22:36:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Well met! Thy Lady Hooded to the aid of seekers after Realmslore, once more:

fourthmensch, Ed’s still chin-deep in novel writing, but I can provide a few Realms slang terms from memory and from notes given by Ed to us players long ago:

“kell” means ‘try,’ but is only used when whatever is being tried is unfinished, nigh-impossible, tricky or dangerous, or there’s some doubt as to whether whoever’s trying it will ever accomplish it (and “kell” is used unchanged regardless of tense, and sometimes also in place of the word “done,” as in: “You’re not going to kell stealing THAT, are you?” and “Kell such feats often, have you?”). Polite speech sticks to ‘try’ and ‘tried’ and ‘done,’ leaving “kell” for cynical, disbelieving, or openly derisive speech (“Kings always SAY they’ll clean all monsters out of the woods. Oh, and they KELL, too, for a tenday, each of them, sometimes sending more than one knight to do it, too.”)

“stlarn” and “stlarning” are fairly polite equivalents for the f-word, of about the blasphemous strength of ‘darn!’ and see use where we might say “screwing up” (They can’t kell one simple task without stlarning up!) or (for Brits) “bloody alarm clock!” (stlarning time-bells!)

a “codloose winker” is a lecher (derivation: a winking man with a loose or often-removed codpiece)

a “darkblade” is a mercenary (“hiresword”) demonstrably lacking in principles or loyalty to a patron who’s hired him

a “scorchkettle” is a woman who delivers impressively blistering words to someone in public (usually because she’s quick-tempered)

“gulletfire” is bad beer or wine, whereas “throatslake” is any drinkable that takes care of thirst and doesn’t cause illness in doing so, but isn’t particularly pleasant to drink

a “spurnarmor” is either a woman with a spectacular figure, or a well-endowed man (as in: “If I had those, I’d be a spurnarmor too!” or: “Galad! What a spurnarmor!”)

. . . which reminds me that “Galad!” is the current Heartlands replacement for “Zooks!” or “Zounds!” or any nonsense word used as an “I’m astonished” or “I’m impressed” expression . . . and Elminster probably brought “Gadzooks!” and “Zounds!” into the Realms from his our-real-world visits centuries back, so in the Realms they HAVEN’T developed from “God’s wounds!”

“glim” means “beautiful in an eye-catching way” (flashy)

“lalandath” means agile, sleek, lithe, and is often said of dancers or women whose beauty is accentuated by their movements (so a well-built but sleekly-dancing tavern dancer might be described as: “WHAT a glimmer! A lalandath spurnarmor, glim enough to leave every man in the place rivvim, and my codpiece itching!”)

so, of course:
“rivvim” means “lust” or “lusty” (As in: “I’m fair rivvim when I looks upon her.”)

“darburl” (pronounced DAR-burl) means angry (As in: “I’m right darburl, just now.” or: “He makes me proper darburl, that one.”)

“badaulder” (pronounced BAH-doll-durr, with a lilt in the word) is the western Heartlands expression for “bullshit!” or “hogwash!” (and its usage is creeping into Cormyr right now, headed for Sembia, the Dales, and the Moonsea)

“haularake!” (pronounced HALL-ah-rake, and said very quickly, as if it has but one syllable) is the all-faiths, acceptable in polite society equivalent of “God damn it!” (or perhaps “God damn it all, anyway!”)

“thael” means glad, or pleasant, or heart-lifting (As in “I’m always thael to see her,” or “That feast was right thael” or “I always get that moment of thael, when I look down from the ridge and see
. . . home.”)

So now you can curse me or ah, describe me in Realms terms.
Athenon: Ed will get to Calaunt, I promise . . . and, arilyn742: Why, whatever do you mean?
Moon smile and sun greet, until next,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  23:16:08  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Ed, my thanks. Those paragraphs on Faerûnian society, and M. Hood's latest language notes (that's the good stuff!) go in my theoretical first 100 pages of realmslore.

Looking forward to reading of Old Gharauth's House of Butter Wrestling in Volo's Guide to the Moonsea.

Greetings and farewells from "Words To The Wise":
quote:
AlaE (ah-LAY: “Fortunate meeting,” a contraction of an old elven phrase of the same meaning)—a greeting (and reassurance of peaceful intentions) between travelers in the southern and eastern coastlands around The Sea of Fallen Stars.
Durgos (DUR-ghosz: “Peace”)—a corruption of the orcs’ durgreos (see below), used by mongrelmen and some human slavers.
Durgreos (Dur-GREE-ohzz: “No quarrel”)—a responsive greeting and parting used by orcs of the north.
Hykyath (Hik-ah-YATH: “Prance!”)—a parting used by satyrs. It has been picked up by some poets among the elves and half elves, and even orcs have been heard, in battle, derisively telling their foes and underlings to “look lively” in the few breaths left before they die.
Lammath Drios (Lham-math DREE-ohs: “Fortune find you”)—a parting used in Essembra and in the countryside south of it as far as the seacoast, and west as far as the Thunder Peaks. It is not favored within the proud cities of Sembia, where only “bumpkins” and “country dung-carters” are thought to speak so.
Rhambukkya (Ram-BOOkh-yah: “Ride high”)—used as both greeting and parting by the nomads of the Shaar.
Sabbas (Sab-BAS: “Run free”)—a parting used by centaurs.
Stettar Voh (Stet-tar VOE-hh: “Gods-power [keep you] well”)—formal, peaceful greeting and parting among merchants in The Shining South.
Tantam (TAN-tam: “Hello”)—peaceful way-greeting among merchants of the north.
Uluvathae (Oo-loo-VAW-thay: “[May your] fortune bring you joy”)—a friendly, informal greeting and parting used by elves and half-elves to others (of any race) they welcome the company of. Between close friends, its use is an insult, or a neutral “say-nothing-we’re-being-listened-to” warning.
Vlandranna (Vlan-DRANNA: “Gods grant [approval, or that what is spoken of occurs by their will])—an old, corrupted dwarven word from the region that is today the Vast and Impiltur; now used by all trading races in The Sea of Fallen Stars.

Edited by - Faraer on 09 May 2004 23:17:39
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  23:39:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Hi Ed,

I'm back and I'm patiently waiting for the 20th, so I can take a road trip up to toronto and finally meet you and get my copy of El's Daughter signed, that is if Amazon ever delivers it! :)

Another poster and I were discussing the Highfire Crown that is found in the two Cormanthyr sourcebooks.

He had some questions about it, if you can answer them. At the moment, he is looking for any information at all besides what is listed in the Cormanthyr sourcebooks. He's read that it allows one to cast High Magic and such, but where would it be found? What sort of guardians? Also what would the effect be on the Realms were it to be found?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 09 May 2004 23:39:50
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  02:13:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

SiriusBlack, 'tis my understanding that Ed is being consulted (as in: Realmslore e-mails are flying back and forth) rather than officially being involved as a writer.

That is what I feared, I mean thought , but I wanted to ask to make sure. Alas, I know Ed Greenwood is probably too busy to do more than just consult at the moment. Thanks to him in advance for helping in that manner.

quote:

And, Sirius, you say the sweetest things (“Why do I have a feeling with a character you run this might have taken place all in one night?”). I shall have to * twinkle * in your direction. There. As for your touch and purr musings . . . well, now, we’ll just have to see, won’t we?

If the words are sweet perhaps it is due to the company? Twinkle in my direction any time you wish. As for touching and purring, well, fortune favors the bold or is it the foolish?
Go to Top of Page

Athenon
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  03:19:33  Show Profile  Visit Athenon's Homepage Send Athenon a Private Message
M'lady you are too kind. Thanks again for the tireless answers and posts. Out of curiosity, I was wondering if you might share a few choice rememberences of Ed as a DM. I sat in with him DMing at Gen Con a couple of years ago and I was thoroughly entertained/spellbound ("it's really HIM" sort of reaction). I'm guessing that your group is/was rarely boring. What have been some of his best moments?

Thanks again

Will Maranto

Representing the Realms in the Wilds of Northern Louisiana

Edited by - Athenon on 10 May 2004 03:20:29
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  05:55:15  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message
I am a big fan of the Chosen of Mystra, specifically one in particular (hence the screenname) and was delighted to discern that I might be able to hear the words of the being whose truename bears the sound of "Ed Greenwood" in hopes of discerning some wisdom from ye.

I was quite distressed by the 3rd edition incarnations of the Chosen, specifcally the omission or simply the removal of certain powers and abilities from their Template, and find that in many respects their powers differ from those often observed in novels, and thus I have fashioned my own re-vision of the Chosen of Mystra template,which I use in my campaigns, drawing upon the 3rd edition Forgotten Realms Sourcebook, The Seven Sisters 2E sourcebook, and numerous instances in both your novels and occasional instances in those of other authors, and I was wondering if ye could comment on it, or perhaps suggest the augmentation or removal of some of the features I have so assigned to it.

*a few quick notes before I begin; many of the powers enjoyed by them in both 2nd and 3rd edition seemed as though the intention was to keep them from dying from natural causes (i.e. the silvefire nourishing them or duplicating the effects of a ring of warmth, water breathing, etc), rather than simply duplicating a specific magic item, and in those instances I have simply altered some of their immunities and/or abilities to make such assertions more more concrete, and to remove the abuse of loopholes by anyone seeking to find a way to slay them by those means. Also, please note than I changed the nature of their spell immunity so that it instead duplicates an effect similar to the 2nd edition Spell Ward wielded by Dweomerkeepers, rather than the Clerics 3rd edition Spell Immunity spells, which instead only give unbeatable Spell Resistance (which doesnt shield one against spells like Forcecage, Maze, or the like), I also made the Silverfire more versatile, and make it easier to call upon (according to the sourcebooks a blast of Silverfire can only be called upon once every 70 minutes, but Elminster has often wielded it far more repeatedly)
Well here it is, listed in the standard Template format:

Chosen of Mystra

Creating a Chosen of Mystra
Chosen of Mystra is a template that can be added to any creature (referred to hereafter as the "character") that Mystra chooses to entrust a portion of her power to. A Chosen of Mystra uses all of the character's statistics and special abilities except as noted here. A Chosen of Mystra has its power only at the will of Mystra; should she decide to remove Chosen of Mystra status from the character, then he reverts to his original abilities.
For all intents and purposes this is an acquired template. In special circumstances the Chosen of Mystra template may be considered an inherited template if the character was created by Mystra for the sole purpose of becoming a Chosen (such as the Seven Sisters). In such circumstances, the character only gains the benefits of this template if and when she proves herself to Mystra and accepts the burden of her inheritance. In addition to the normal powers and abilities of a Chosen of Mystra, a character whom was created by Mystra for the purpose of becoming a Chosen does acquire minor abilities at birth which persist regardless if he or she later does or does not become a Chosen (see Feats and Advancement, below).

Type/Subtype: same as the character.

Appearance: The Chosen of Mystra appear no different than other creatures of their type, however their hair (if any) takes on a silver-white hue.

Special Qualities: A Chosen of Mystra retains all of the special qualities of the character and also gains the following.

Bonus Spells (Sp): The Chosen of Mystra may choose one spell, of each level one through nine, which she may use once per day as a spell-like ability. The caster level for these spells is equal to the Chosen’s character level or Hit dice; and saving throw DC’s are Charisma based. Once chosen, these spells cannot be changed.

Spell Immunity (Su): The Chosen of Mystra may choose one spell, of each level one through nine, which she is completely unaffected by as if protected by a Mystran Spellward spell (see New Spells below). Once chosen, these spells cannot be changed.

Weave Focus (Su): Upon gaining this template, a Chosen of Mystra is forever barred from ever taking the Shadow Weave Magic feat. In addition, all spells cast through the Weave by a Chosen of Mystra have a +5 bonus to their saving throw DC's and +5 to their effective caster level (for purposes of determining level dependent spell variables, Dispel Checks, Spell Resistance checks, and opposed caster level checks).

Immunities (Ex): A Chosen of Mystra is immune to Blindness, Deafness, Disease, Disintegration, Fatigue, Exhaustion, Poison, and Sleep effects.

Ageless (Ex): The Chosen of Mystra ceases to age, is immune to aging effects, and cannot die as a result of old age. Upon gaining this template, a Chosen may revert to any age category he or she has previously attained.

Sustenance (Su): A Chosen of Mystra does not need to eat, drink, breathe, or sleep, although she must rest normally to regain spells.

Detect Magic (Su): line of sight.

Mantle of Mysteries (Su): A Chosen is immune to all Scrying and divination effects, and all effects that discern her thoughts or alignment. Likewise, a Chosen cannot be controlled or compelled by any magical, supernatural, or psionic abilities or effects, although a clever chosen may play along and pretend to be acting under an enemy’s charm or compulsion. In addition, a Chosen's Truename cannot be discovered or discerned by any being unless the Chosen willingly chooses to reveal it to them.

Name and Song Attunement (Su): Whenever a Chosen’s name or the Rune of the Chosen is spoken, the Chosen hears it and the next nine words uttered by the being that spoke her name or recited the song. This ability does not inhibit or interfere with concentration, and can be suppressed or resumed as a free action.

Silver Fire (Su): All Chosen of Mystra can wield the Silver Fire (ability updated; see below).

Saves: +5 sacred bonus to all saving throws against spells, spell-like effects, and supernatural abilities.

Abilities: +10 Constitution.

Skills: +10 insight bonus to Spellcraft checks.

Feats: Initiate of Mystra. In addition, if the template is inherited (see above) then the Chosen also gains Spellcasting Prodigy as a bonus feat at 1st level.

Spells: Same as the character, however a Chosen of Mystra with levels in any spellcasting class gains the following abilities: If the Chosen has levels as a Wizard, then she may learn, scribe, and research new spells with much more ease than a normal Wizard. To study newly discovered spell or scribe a new spell into a spellbook only requires one hour instead of one day, and the material costs and time required to research new spells are halved. If the Chosen has levels as a Sorcerer or Bard, then once per tenday she may choose to remove a known spell from her Sorcerer or Bard spell repertoire and replace it with a new spell of the same spell level from the appropriate class spell list (removing a known spell in this fashion does not prevent a Chosen from relearning the same spell in the future). If the Chosen has levels as a Cleric, Paladin, Druid, or Ranger, then she gains access to all spells in the Spell, Magic, Illusion, Knowledge, Luck, and Good Domains and all Initiate spells unique to Mystra of any spell level that she can cast, in addition to any other spells normally available to her, and may prepare and cast such spells using any divine spell slot of the appropriate spell level.

Unknown Powers: Many of the powers of a Chosen of Mystra may remain as of yet unrevealed, in some instances even to the Chosen themselves.

Climate/Terrain: Same as the character.

Organization: Same as the character.

Challenge Rating: +5.

Alignment: Same as the character.

Treasure: Same as the character.

Advancement: Same as the character. If the template is inherited (see above) then the Chosen may consider the Sorcerer class as a favored class, for purposes of multiclassing and determining XP, in addition to any other favored classes her race or character background would normally allow.

The Silver Fire:

This powerful supernatural ability is unique to the Chosen of Mystra, a portion of the raw magical energy of the weave lying dormant within their bodies until called upon. Manifesting as a beautiful silver-white flame that surrounds the wielder and fills the area into which it is projected, Silver Fire can be used for any of the following magical effects:

The Silver Fire can banish all magical effects upon the chosen as if a Greater Dispelling spell had been cast upon her, except that the Dispel check bonus is not capped at caster level 20. This use of the Silver Fire can be called upon at will, once per round.

The Silver Fire can be unleashed as a bright silver flame that engulfs all creatures and objects it strikes with the burning raw magical energy of the Weave. The flame may take the form of a bolt 5ft wide and 5ft tall, extending to a length of up to 10 ft per level of the Chosen which deals 1d6 points of damage for every two levels of the Chosen to all creatures and objects in its path and burns through physical barriers in the same fashion as a lightning bolt spell. Any being in the path of the bolt may attempt a reflex save (DC 10 + ½ the Chosen’s level + the Chosen’s Constitution modifier) for half damage. At the their option, the Chosen may instead unleash the Silver Fire in the form of a burning sphere, which is hurled at a single target by means of a ranged touch attack (no save) and deals 1d6 points of damage per every two levels of the Chosen. Both of the above uses of the Silver Fire breach all magical and supernatural barriers or defenses automatically. Alternatively, this flame may instead surround the Chosen as a radiant burning aura that deals 4d12 points of damage plus an addition point of damage per level of the Chosen to any creature who touches or strikes her in combat for the next 2d4 rounds. Any of the above uses of the Silver Fire can only be called upon once every six rounds.

The Silver Fire can be unleashed as a cloud-like emanation with a 90 ft radius, permanently banishing all Dead Magic zones and dispelling all Antimagic effects it comes into contact with. This cloud effect is draining on the Weave, and it can only be called upon once per hour. Mystra discourages its use except for dire emergencies.

The Silver Fire can be called upon to duplicate the effects of a Greater Teleport spell to transport the Chosen to any location where she had previously wielded the Silver Fire, duplicate the effects of a Regenerate spell upon the Chosen, or allow any spell or spell-like ability she casts to be augmented by any metamagic feat she possesses without raising the spell level of the spell or increasing it’s casting time. Any of these effects of the Silver Fire can be called upon a number of times per day equal to the Constitution bonus of the Chosen.

The Silver Fire may be used to contribute to an Epic Spell ritual as though it were a spell, or be included into the development of an Epic Spell as a unique spell component. The Spellcraft DC reduction of any Epic Spell that uses the Silver Fire as a special focus is –20, and the reduction for any Epic Spell that uses contributions of the Silver Fire to its ritual is –20 for each Chosen contributing Silver Fire to the spell.

The Silver Fire can be called upon to substitute the XP cost of a spell that is cast by the Chosen, or to substitute the XP cost of crafting or repairing a magic item whose item caster level is equal to or lower than Chosen’s caster level. This effect is draining upon the Weave, and the Chosen who calls upon the Silver Fire for this purpose may not manifest the Silver Fire again in any of it’s forms for 1d4+1 days.

All of the above effects of the Silver Fire function as if cast by a spellcaster equal to the level or hit dice of the Chosen.

New Spell:

Mystran Spellward
Abjuration
Level: Initiate of Mystra 9
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 10 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
The caster of this spell chooses one spell of each level one through nine, to which the warded creature gains complete invulnerability against. Such spells simply do not affect the target of this spell, and the target of a Mystran Spellward and all of her carried possessions are not included in the area of effect of such spells.
If a spell is chosen that is the greater version of another spell (i.e. such as spells whose name begins with the words Greater, Mass, Improved, etc) then the Mystran Spellward protects against all lesser versions of the spell, but not greater versions of the spell or spells with a vaguely similar theme or characteristic (i.e. a being who chose to be protected from Mass Charm Monster would likewise be protected from Charm Monster and Charm Person, but would not be protected against Suggestion, Domination, or similar spells or effects). A Mystran Spellward also protects against all personal and variant versions of the spell, as well as the spell-like effects of magic items, innate spell-like abilities of creatures, and supernatural abilities that specifically duplicate the effects of the named spell.
A creature can have only one Mystran Spell Ward spell in effect upon them at one time.
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  05:58:18  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message
Also, please be aware that my inclusion of the Name and Song Attunement ability in the template is contradictory to the 3rd edition printed rules, since they do not list that ability in the Chosen of Mystra template sidebar, and of all the Chosen who are given full statistics in the FR 3E sourcebook and the Epic Level Handbook, only Alustriel was printed with it listed in her Special Qualities.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  13:45:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
With all due respect to The Simbul, I would hazard a guess that Ed really couldn't give a rat's clacker (it's amazing how the Australian vernacular can slip through the filters ... errr wards ... of Candlekeep) about how the Chosen stack up in terms of 3E game mechanics, after all, as NPCs in his campaign they pretty much do whatever it is he wants them to do - feats and spell slots be blown.

Of course, being the generous soul that he is, he will comment and likely approvingly. But it's just his opinion. The Chosen have been statted out in the various FR 3E products. That is their "official" form, whether we all like it or not. If YOU like your Chosen template then use it - I would think that what you prefer and what works best for you is right, whether Ed validates it or not. And I would certainly hope that if he does say, "Great job, Simbul! A superior Chosen template that I feel should be the standard 3E version .." (not that he will in all likelihood ...) that you don't then trumpet to the wider FR community that this is your Chosen template and Ed said it was great/better/best and hence this is what WotC should be using. That's setting the man up in a rather indirect and dangerous way. But hey, if you just want some feedback, for what it's worth, I think you've done a bang up job and obviously had a good hard look at the sources and how they translate in gaming terms. More power to you.

Personally, I'd get far more FR utility out of a write-up you did on the Simbul that told me what her five favourite ballads are, tipple of choice, what happened that last dozen or so times she cast 'legend lore' and whether she has and friendships/alliances with any dragons in the East. But hey, templates are good too ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  13:47:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

re Impiltur - I tell you what, I will help you spellcheck and proofread it, that way it will be perfect for when Dragon change their minds I wont mind, honest, consider it a favour - honest

Well, you never know your luck Damian, you never know ... your proofreading abilities might be needed some time soon.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  18:34:51  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
What REALLY happened is that Wizards of the Coast wanted a different look for El for 3e to move him away from looking like the popular conception of Gandalf/Merlin/whatever. Precisely why they did that is an answer only they can give, but moving El away from Gandalf could quite easily be a part of it. Ed didn’t object, but it wasn’t idea. As I recall overhearing him say to Jim Butler of WotC (in the lobby of the Milwaukee Hilton, at GenCon) at the time: “Sure, as long as El and Khelben don’t end up looking too much like each other to confuse people.”

I know this feeling all too well, THO (and gentles).

I was a little disappointed when I saw the image they're using now as Halaster Blackcloak, the Mad Mage of Undermountain.

In the original RUINS box, we made sure never to show a modern picture of him--the only images of him were as a younger mage taming the Underhalls (Campaign Guide pp 4, 6).

When I wrote the STARDOCK DUNGEON CRAWL, I insisted that he be a bald man with a beard, to differentiate him from Elminster and the usually clean shaven bald Red Wizards.

When I saw him in FRCS, he looks too much like Elminster, but it's a good illo (as are all Todd Lockwoods) nonetheless. Just miss the small ways in which we'd make sure the major NPCs were different, that's all.

Now if only they'd managed to fix the illo in RUINS OF UNDERMOUNTAIN that I flagged in galleys but they never fixed in 6 printings of the boxed set--the small illo on Campaign Guide p79 was set upside down. :S

Steven
Who's favorite ROU illo is of Vhue (CGp43); this is the description from my art order: "as sexy a female kobold war leader as you can muster atop a barricade of debris."

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  18:56:54  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Ye Gods

apprentice scribe to Krash o'the North

I am actually honoured, tho volunteering is probably not wise!!

anyway, bring it on George, anything for the cause, lets get some LORE back into our Realms

cheers

Damian

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by crazedventurers

Well, you never know your luck Damian, you never know ... your proofreading abilities might be needed some time soon.

-- George Krashos

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  20:01:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Hi Ed again, :)

Here's some thing I've discussed over and over on to many boards over the years.

Is your Volo's Guide to BG II canon? And I am correct in assume that it ties in with the novels as well and all of them are canon?

Many people argue that your sourcebook, the novels, the stats for the characters in those novels that are in Dragon, are not part of the official canon TSR/WOTC realms. I know every one has a different canon FR according to the whim of the DM, but some of us continue to discuss TSR's/WOTC's canon realms when this debate recycles every other month or two.

Furthermore, these two links seem to support the theory that TSR/WOTC considered your sourcebook and the novels are canon.

http://oracle.wizards.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0003E&L=realms-l&P=R12457

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/fictionlist&tablesort=1b

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 10 May 2004 21:04:06
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  23:36:32  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message
quote:

Of course, being the generous soul that he is, he will comment and likely approvingly. But it's just his opinion. The Chosen have been statted out in the various FR 3E products. That is their "official" form, whether we all like it or not. If YOU like your Chosen template then use it - I would think that what you prefer and what works best for you is right, whether Ed validates it or not. And I would certainly hope that if he does say, "Great job, Simbul! A superior Chosen template that I feel should be the standard 3E version .." (not that he will in all likelihood ...) that you don't then trumpet to the wider FR community that this is your Chosen template and Ed said it was great/better/best and hence this is what WotC should be using. That's setting the man up in a rather indirect and dangerous way.

Umm no that is not my intention. I am not looking for a quote to propound my own variations on the Template as some form of ad-hoc canon, my goal it make my own version of the Template as accurate to the novels and realmslore as possible with regards to abilities and powers, given the fact that Ed created those NPC's and wrote the overwhelming majority of novels they appeared in, I think it is more than apposite to ask his opinion or suggestions.

If my goal was to arbitrarily shove my own campaign variations down the throat of the wider FR community, then I would have to shapechange into the man who invented the continium-travesty known as the "Time of Troubles".
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000