Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 67

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  06:14:36  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you seen Scott Lynch's "proposal" for how to do a Wonder Woman movie?

Also: No Hawkman or Hawkgirl? Boo! ;)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1765 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  14:14:19  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have not seen the proposal you mention. I'll check it out.

Hawkgirl did make my short list of characters to fill slots 6 and 7. She worked well in the animated series, and I like the way she's been portrayed in the Earth-2 series.

Hawman, I might have included if I'd included Green Arrow, since the conflicts between the two made the stories in which they both appeared more interesting.

Overall, though, I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the Hawks. There are just other DC heroes who are more interesting to me.
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  18:19:24  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

In my new Airlock Alpha column, I consider which DC heroes belong in the Justice League movie:

http://airlockalpha.com/node/9717/astrojive-a-justice-league-movie-which-justice-league.html

Great article. I just have one question. If the Wonder Twins appear in the new Justice League movie (and I am NOT advocating this) would they take up one of your slots or two?

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1765 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  13:57:19  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked the article, Lotios.

I would probably give the Wonder Twins one slot. But I would only include them under protest.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  14:07:16  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In my new Airlock Alpha column, I consider which DC heroes belong in the Justice League movie:

http://airlockalpha.com/node/9717/astrojive-a-justice-league-movie-which-justice-league.html

A very interesting article.
I would love to see Zatanna in a JLA movie. The supernatural side of the DC universe doesnt get as attention as it deserves.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  16:22:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Interesting article, Richard. I am not sure I would drop the Marsian from the list though.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1765 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  20:52:40  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thauranil, Dennis, glad you found it interesting.

As I mentioned, I was reluctant to drop the Martian Manhunter simply because he's one of my favorite DC characters. I still do think it would be a smart move for this particular movie, though.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1765 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2013 :  21:06:30  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The talented urban fantasy writer and all-around cool person Gina X. Grant has written a very kind review of my urban fantasy Blind God's Bluff. You can read it here:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/546893277
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1765 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2013 :  18:14:38  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will be a program participant at Metrocon on Saturday, 7/27. My panels:

6 PM: What Do You Read"

8 PM: Marvel Movieverse

10 PM: CW - Still Awesome After All These Years

Between panels, of course, I'll be happy to sign books or shoot the breeze about my own work, the Forgotten Realms, or whatever.

You can get info on Metrocon here: http://www.metroconventions.com
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1765 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2013 :  00:28:56  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For anyone who might be interested, here is my complete Gen Con schedule. All events are one hour unless indicated otherwise.

Thursday

10 AM: What should I write? (Writer’s Symposium programming track) ICC 245

11 AM: Heroes and Villains (Writer’s Symposium) ICC 245

1 PM: Signing (Wizards of the Coast programming track) ICC Hall D

7 PM: A Night with Dungeons and Dragons (Wizards of the Coast) - 4 hours - Indiana Roof Ballroom

Friday

8 AM: Worldbuilding 101 for Writers (Writer’s Symposium) (moderator) ICC 244

10 AM: Signing (Paizo programming track) Paizo booth, Dealer’s Room

Noon: Wordlbuilding: Government and the Rule of Law (Writer’s Symposium) (moderator) ICC 244

2 PM Signing (Wizards of the Coast) ICC Hall D

Saturday

8 AM: Exploring Genres: Shared Worlds (Writer’s Symposium) ICC 245

10 AM: Exploring Genres: Horror (Writer’s Symposium) (moderator) ICC 245

11 AM: Exploring Genres: Urban fantasy (Writer’s Symposium) (moderator) ICC 245

2 PM Signing (Wizards of the Coast) ICC Hall D

4 PM: The Fate of the Forgotten Realms (Wizards of the Coast) - 2 hours - ICC 120

6 PM: Candlekeep presents: The Harpers at Twilight (candlekeep.com programming track) - 4 hours - Crowne Plaza: Victoria Station A/B (I can’t do the whole 4 hours but will be there for a while sometime between 6 and 9.)

Sunday

10 AM: Signing (Paizo) Paizo booth, Dealer’s Room

3 PM: Pathfinder Tales Reading and Q&A (Paizo) ICC 231
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1765 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  02:19:05  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Fiendish but Wacky," a critique of the master plans of the villains in this season's SF movies, is my new column on Airlock Alpha:

http://airlockalpha.com/node/9764/astrojive-fiendish-but-wacky.html
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  20:11:58  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please tell us a longer story about Honkgrunt the Many-Eyed, uncle Richard.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1765 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  23:05:52  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll see what I can do when Pacific Rim 2 comes out.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  06:29:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Pacific Rim 2? Very unlikely. The current one is doing a terrible job in the box office.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1765 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  12:17:04  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually, Pacific Rim didn't do that great domestically, but it's doing significantly better internationally. A sequel is not out of the question.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  12:40:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It has been released in major and almost all markets worldwide, yet it has earned a pathetic $140M only. Add the more pathetic domestic earning of $85M, you get $225M. Not a good number, considering their production budget ($190M) and the number of days since its release.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  12:55:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't think the movie was all that, myself, but almost everyone I know that has seen it has really enjoyed it... Of course, almost everyone I know is in the target demographic of folks who would enjoy giant robot/giant monster flicks!

To me, it was like a live action Neon Genesis Evangelion, without the angst.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Learned Scribe

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  15:33:59  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

To me, it was like a live action Neon Genesis Evangelion, without the angst.

I have not seen it yet, but THIS makes me want to very badly.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  16:47:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's actually part of why I didn't care for it. I like Evangelion and all (I even have figures of several of the Evas), and I was actually watching it as it was being released on VHS.

So because I'd already seen humanity using giant robots to fight for its existence against giant monsters, Pacific Rim did not impress. It also didn't help that I found myself questioning a lot of the plot elements.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 Jul 2013 16:48:56
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1765 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  17:43:02  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even though I made fun of it (and, I think, fairly) in my column, I actually enjoyed Pacific Rim quite a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  17:44:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It is a movie that one should not analyze at all. Its poor performance in the worldwide box office can be attributed to the sensibilities of some patriotic people from other countries who might see the ending as some sort of an affront. It’s one of those “Everybody dies, America saves the day—again” type of movie. What makes it worse is the fact that while movies of the same type try to subtly hide it, this one makes it rather too obvious.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1765 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  23:07:05  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You think? The team operating out of the Shatterdome seemed pretty international to me.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  23:35:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You think? The team operating out of the Shatterdome seemed pretty international to me.

Indeed. Not only that, but they'd been cut off from funding and were operating solo, and the crew of Gipsy Danger was one American and one Japanese.

Even with that aside, it's not unreasonable to assume that in an American-made movie, for American audiences, that has a save the world scenario, that Americans are going to be prominent in saving the day.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  17:01:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And that is the problem. You said it yourself: for American audiences. As for Mako, well, true, she is Japanese, but then again, it was an American who saved her and made her what and who she was by the time she copiloted Gipsy Danger.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  17:31:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

And that is the problem. You said it yourself: for American audiences. As for Mako, well, true, she is Japanese, but then again, it was an American who saved her and made her what and who she was by the time she copiloted Gipsy Danger.

I don't see how it is a problem for a movie intended for Americans to cater to Americans. I've never heard people watch an anime and complain that a Japanese person saved the world...

If someone doesn't like not being the target audience for the movie, they shouldn't go see it. If they do see it, they shouldn't complain that they weren't the target audience.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000