Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 67

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  19:34:13  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard, I was just wondering if you could give us some information on where in the realms your new series will take place?

Thanks in advance!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625

Edited by - skychrome on 08 Dec 2009 20:32:20
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  01:20:12  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, skychrome. Book One centers on Chessenta.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2009 :  02:03:49  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Richard!

So basically the brotherhood starts not that far off from Aglarond and Thay.
I am curious to see, if the story will carry them on to Airspur...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
256 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2009 :  23:42:22  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a son of the Despanas of Ust Natha and a cousin of those of Rilauven I couldn't help finding it interesting to read on the 333rd page of Dissolution, (wich by the way is an most excellent book. I loved the feel of the non-noble areas. You're good, Richard...), that apparently a branch of my family also exists in the city of Menzoberra. Do you have more information on them? Where did the dynasty originate from? What is their status in Menzoberranzan? Do they have connections with Ust Natha? Do they want to restore matriarchy to Rilauven? I would guess that they actually are Lolthites (now Llothites) who fled the coup in Rilauven and then established themselves in Menzoberranzan...

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2009 :  02:53:11  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Duneth.

First off, glad you liked the book, and thanks for telling me so.

As for the family in question, if the information isn't in the book, they're whatever you want them to be. Come to think of it, even if the info is in the book, within your game and your imagination, they're still whatever you want them to be.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2009 :  21:58:42  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a new blog entry up at richardleebyers.com. It's my thoughts on the new Sherlock Holmes movie and the new Dracula sequel by Dacre Stoker and Ian Holt.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  01:38:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On THE CAPTIVE FLAME

First, I would like to express my sincerest thanks for writing this wonderful novel!

From the prologue alone I knew this was going to fascinate me. I did not expect Brimstone to show up. He made a good "entrance," though. It somehow felt at the start as if it's a fusion between the Haunted Lands and the Year of Rogue Dragons. The excitement and the promise of more surprises were already palpable in the prologue and the first 2 chapters....

The story is well-developed, and each chapter provides highlights to the core of the story and its main characters. I did not feel as though every chapter is "forced" to be knit together and thereby creates a sense of "incoherence" (as with the case of some FR novels). On the contrary, every chapter connects well to each other.

Now, on the setting. I must say I am not a Chessanta fan, and I am glad that although most of the events happen in that realm, some important ones occur in Murghôm, Tymanther, Threskel, and Shadowfell! The mix of these colorful realms in the story was really great, and YOUR literary prowess makes it easy for me to visualize them...although I would have appreciated it more had there been a map of Chessenta at least...

I must say the characters (as only you can describe and flesh them out) are the most interesting part of the book. I like Aoth since the HAUNTED LANDS, and he is still the same... (good?) prudent, complex, and easy to like. I honestly did not expect that Jhesrhi hailed from Luthcheq, Chessenta's capital. Did you provide any hint in the HL about it? If so, it totally escaped my notice. Anyway, I like the fact you did not suddenly make Aoth and Jhesrhi overly powerful, like what you did to Malark in the HL. The dragon characters are somewhat too powerful for me. And somehow I am surprised that there is no human or lich involved who is as powerful as any of the zulkirs...Maybe in the next book there will be, from High Imaskara? Also, I find it strange that a dragonborn is a paladin, though I should say he is quite interesting, albeit irritating sometimes. Well, honestly, I find most paladins are. (What with all the crap about righteousness?! =)) I wonder if Torm will also make a halfling paladin? =)

Overall, this is a wonderful book that should be devoured by all FR and even non-FR readers. I give it an 8/10. It may not be as grand as Unclean or any of the HL books, but it's so much worth my time and money! Again, Richard, thanks for this treat!

Is November the final date for the next book's release? Can WotC move it to an earlier one?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  02:37:03  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, dennis. Very glad you're enjoying it.

I'm afraid that November date is firm. But on the plus side, this trilogy is coming out faster than my previous trilogies.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  03:39:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that's what I like also about the release dates. Compared to the HL, this new series is coming out faster.

Anyway, I have a few questions about the book...but I won't post them YET unless you allow me since I'll be giving out more spoilers, and I think I already gave a lot in my previous post, and I am sure SOME who visit this section of the forum HAVE NOT YET READ the book...

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  14:30:09  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, dennis.

It's ultimately not up to me what you post. It's up to our hosts. But I suspect that questions incorporating spoilers are okay as long as you put a big, prominent spoiler warning at the start of your message.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  16:33:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard,

Ok. So to anyone else who happens to read this post, be reminded that the questions below include spoilers of the novel The Captive Flame. =)

First, I really find it difficult to believe that mere enchanted chains can imprison a dragon as powerful as Tchazzar, unless the chains are made of shadow and cast by Telamont himselt (as in what he used in Shadowrealm). So, was Tchazzar's strenght greatly diminished to the extent that such chains managed to bind him? If so, why was he so enervated? And what enchantments were fused with the chains? Elven? Netherese?

Second, you briefly mentioned the Netherese when Jhesri and Gaedynn fought the shadar-aki. Will you be using the Shadovar or their agent in the following novels? Or are the Shadovar exclusively "Paul's material" now?

Third, Gaedynn's last words somehow befuddled me. "What have we don?" Did he feel/ have a hunch that Tchazzar's release will spell doom to the Brotherhood or Chessenta?

Fourth, almost all the eastern lands are at war, will Thay and Aglarond join the fray?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  16:50:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I find Brimstone's disappearance in the rest of the chapters rather odd. I mean, as far as I can remember, I have never read a novel where a significant character in the prologue was NOT mentioned at all in the rest of the book. Or, was the vampire who caught Cera and Aoth Brimstone?

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  21:43:56  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, dennis.

Mostly, I will respectfully decline to answer questions about what's still to come in Books 2 and 3. I don't want to spoil any surprises. But I don't suppose it will do any harm to tell you the Shadovar won't appear. That's not because they're Paul's exclusive property now (or if they are, nobody's told me.) It's because Netheril is a long way off.

To my mind, few things would undermine the perceived reality of a quasi-medieval world more than treating distance like it meant as little as it does in our world. In other words, a citizen of Waterdeep (for example) who'd visited Murghom would be seen as a veritable Marco Polo by his peers. Many residents of Waterdeep would never even have heard of Murghom. Many would never have traveled more than a day's walk from their homes.

Tchazzar had been weakened by the Spellplague when the Sseelrigoth captured him, and Sseelrigoth kept him weak through all the years since by draining his strength on a regular basis. The bonds were infused with some sort of power Shadowfell magic. I honestly didn't bother to work out exactly what would be.

When Aoth and Cera spy on the conclave of dragons in astral form, it is indeed Brimstone they see there.

Gaedynn's final thought in the book does indicate a premonition that Tchazzar's return may not be a wonderful thing for all concerned. Stay tuned to find out if he's right.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  23:17:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Hi, dennis.

Tchazzar had been weakened by the Spellplague when the Sseelrigoth captured him, and Sseelrigoth kept him weak through all the years since by draining his strength on a regular basis. The bonds were infused with some sort of power Shadowfell magic. I honestly didn't bother to work out exactly what would be.

Oh, I thought Tchazzar ventured to Threskel BEFORE the SP to save Chessenta from the coming cataclysm. So I excluded SP as one of the possible reasons of his weakened state.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  23:28:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi, dennis.

Gaedynn's final thought in the book does indicate a premonition that Tchazzar's return may not be a wonderful thing for all concerned. Stay tuned to find out if he's right.

Surely I will! And I hope our bookstores will have copies of book 2 on the very same month of its release... =)

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  00:04:10  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In case anyone is wondering, I'll be at Gen Con this year. If you would like to get a book signed, berate me for my sins against literature, or whatever, I'm doing a number of panels in the Writer's Symposium programming track. So that's a good place to hunt me down.
Go to Top of Page

Fortem
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  11:10:49  Show Profile  Visit Fortem's Homepage Send Fortem a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if it belongs here but...

Does anyone have a list of the undead creatures mentioned in Undead/Unclean/Unholy. I found it a tad bit difficult to keep my usual pen and paper ready while walking to and from the bus
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  14:57:59  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I can remember vampires, lich(es), an atropal scion, entropic reaper, dream vestige, and ghost off the top of my head (and surely there were some skeleton and zombie mooks in Tam's armies).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  23:18:57  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Richard, I re-read The Black Bouquet and have to say again: well done!
Yes ok, there are some minor logical questionmarks but I think it is the best "Rogues"-novel and could also well run as a "Cities"-novel. Anyways, I liked the characters and side characters very much, I liked the description of Oeble, I loved the many details you put in, which create realms- and city-atmosphere and I think this is really a novel that makes one want to pick up character sheet and dice and run a city adventure in Oeble.

No questions, just wanted to shower some praise upon thee!

I wonder why this book is so seldom mentioned among FR novels...?

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  05:30:21  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, skychrome.

It's nice to hear that the book holds up on a rereading. I had a lot of fun writing that one.

My guess is that the novel is "so seldom mentioned" because it's a standalone and the protagonist never appeared in any other story. It's big, epic stories and recurring characters that loom large in the memories of many fans. I actually had hopes of bringing that particular protagonist back in another novel, but it was not to be.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  15:36:10  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Richard, it is a shame it was not meant to be, but that's the way it is. Anyways great novel and I hope to read more from you in this kind of style with detailed descriptions of NPCs, streets, buildings, items, landscapes, scents, sounds etc that really make the difference between realms novels and GOOD realms novels that make one feel being right there.

Go to Top of Page

Ruul
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  16:17:04  Show Profile  Visit Ruul's Homepage  Send Ruul an AOL message Send Ruul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just got a Barnes & Noble update that the Year of the Rogue Dragons omnibus is coming out in October. Love the cover!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  22:00:16  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Ruul. Thanks for mentioning that. I knew it was due out in October, but I hadn't seen the cover until now. I agree, it looks good.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1229 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2010 :  02:54:11  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To my mind, few things would undermine the perceived reality of a quasi-medieval world more than treating distance like it meant as little as it does in our world. In other words, a citizen of Waterdeep (for example) who'd visited Murghom would be seen as a veritable Marco Polo by his peers. Many residents of Waterdeep would never even have heard of Murghom. Many would never have traveled more than a day's walk from their homes.

To be fair, the Realms are quasi-medieval only in some very superficial aspects. And those aspects which are anything like our world are far more early Renaissance* than anything during the medieval period.

More pertinent to this point, though, is the fact that to a powerful mage (which I understand many Shadovar to be in 3.0e/3.5e and don't expect to have changed much), distance means less than in our world. With divination spells and teleportation available to him, distance is almost irrelevant. There are simply events he is aware of and chooses to get involved in and events which he is either unaware of or ignores.

*For example, plate harness, which the popular imagination links with knights, didn't really exist during the medieval period. It only appeared at the very end at by the time it was at all common, the Renaissance was already in full swing.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas

Edited by - Icelander on 27 Aug 2010 02:54:50
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1770 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2010 :  04:57:19  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Icelander: Naturally, I'm aware of the existence of teleport spells and such. But I don't think it refutes my point. Few people in the Realms command such power, and those who do don't routinely use it to move trade goods or military units around. That means Waterdeep and Murghôm really are isolated from one another in most ways that matter.

Similarly, it might be hard for a mage in Waterdeep to learn very much about Murghôm if divination was his primary source of information. How would he know what questions to ask or what to look at in his crystal ball? Why would he even be interested in Murghôm?

Anyway, if you've read my stuff, you know that I'm not suggesting that nobody knows what's over the next hill. I'm currently writing about characters who live in the East. know a heck of a lot about it, and have some general knowledge of all Faerûn. But I still think that if you write a Realms novel that suggests that distance means as little as it does in our world, you're doing it wrong. You're throwing away one of the elements that makes a world like the Realms interesting to begin with.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000