Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2007 :  05:04:25  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ArdashirI figured on Ka'Narlist 'just' being a very powerful (epic-level) wizard myself, and that his power appealed to the Elder Eye.

-Well, this is why I was asking. Ghaunadaur does regularly appear to his followers, so was it just attracted to the power that Ka'Narlist wielded, and in turn, brought it. Or, were they connected in a deeper sense, like a Cleric is with his/her deity. Ghaunadaur, after all, did bring Mbugua back from the dead. Was it just something the Elder Eye did as a favor to Ka'Narlist, or was it, perhaps, something else?

quote:
Originally posted by ArdashirAnd I wonder, what if anything did Lolth have to do with it? According to Miss Cunningham's book Evermeet, Lolth did take Ka'Narlist as a consort for a while... Maybe she didn't want to share her man with a glob of sentient slime?

-If what is written in Evermeet: Island of Elves is to be trusted, Ghaundaur "destroyed" his servants after failing to subsume Lolth after she was exiled from Arvandor. This was long before Lolth even realized that Realmspace existed.

quote:
Originally posted by ArdashirBTW, Miss Cunningham, are there any plans at all for a story in which we finally see that SOB Ka'Narlist get his comeuppance? And hmm, maybe it could get tied into how and why Ghaunadar destroyed his own followers? If Ka'Narlist was the Eye's greatest worshipper, then it seems appropriate that the downfall of one should be linked to the downfall of the other.

-As for the second part of that, see above. Now, as for the first, Ka'Narlist "perished" during the Sundering, when Atorrnash was swept away by a massive wave. However, there are actually quite a few hints that suggest that Ka'Narlist might have survived. Without going into the minor ones I have gathered, the primary clue is that Lolth was never able to find and claim his spirit. Had Ka/Narlist died, his spirit would have gone to the Demonweb Pits, where either Lolth or Ghaunadaur would have claimed it. But, the fact that she never sensed his spirit enter the Demonweb Pits...

Mod edit: Cleaned up the errant italics tags.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 May 2007 12:13:55
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2007 :  13:42:00  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
In all candor, I don't have more information about Ka'Narlist than exists in the stories and novels. And I'd rather not add speculative, unauthorized lore, in case someone else decides to play with him.

I like the idea of the drow evolving (devolving?) from a sub-race of black-skinned elves. Any suggestion that their color was part of a curse earned by their evil ways annoys me to no end. I'm not in favor of so-called Political Correctness and the notion that invented worlds must subscribe to it; in fact, I've often been accused of political INcorrectness because my elves are not can't-we-all-just-get-along? liberal Democrats and card-carrying ACLU members. There's a big, big difference between "good" and "pc." I maintain that a character can be "good" while holding beliefs that are at odds with our Western, 21st century, Judeo-Christian values. Tribalism, a tendency toward "Us vs. Them" mentality, is deeply engrained into our species and, I suspect, fantasy species as well. I don't think you can ignore that, not as a writer or, for that matter, as a person.

That said, the "if you're black, it's because you're accursed" theory is, to my way of thinking, WAY too similar to the real-world belief that dark-skinned humans are a legacy of the curse G-d placed on Cain for the murder of his brother Abel. And yes, there are people who truly believe this nonsence. I've run into more than a few of them. They piss me off. If I'm going to play in an invented world, I'm not about to duplicate the sort of things invented by the ignorant to justify bigotry.

Besides, it seemed more dramatic to me that dark-skinned Lloth was once a consort of Corellon, corrupted by ambition and moving from a beloved wife and member of the elven pantheon to an outcast and enemy. Eilistraee's story has a lot more poignancy, and more closely mirrors the experience of her followers, when it's framed by a misperception that led to her rejection by other elven dieties. After all, her followers aren't exactly frequent house guests in gold or moon elf homes. They're not even allowed on Evermeet, despite their allignment.

The elven prejudice against drow runs as deep as that against orcs. Right or wrong, that's how it is in the Realms. But I think there's a big difference between the color black being a signifier of a drow, and the color black being tied to the collective character of the drow.
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2007 :  04:35:35  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message
I have just finished the collection of your short stories. I really was pleasently surprised on several levels. For one, I somehow had it in my head that there would onlybe one new piece of fiction in the anthology (probably because of "oh...a new story by Elaine Cunnningham...must posess the precious"...never actually as much as glancing at any ads, descriptions or promotional blurbs, because, honestly, in my opinion all your works have been quality...and you“ve given me one of my favourite game master NPCs ever, even if she was a "monster" in a Ravenloft short story...heh.). So a very nice surprise awaited me upon opening the book.
Your previously unreleased works were a pleasure to read, especially since they were quite diverse in their style.
"The Knights of Samular"...YES! I had longed for something like this, without holding out any hope of you being able to re-visit the events of "Thornhold", so that made me positively giddy.
"Elminster“s Jest"...well, it doesn“t really matter for the how-manieth time I re-read that novel, the scene involving this ballad is one of my favourite scenes ever and still makes me laugh out loud (which I seldom do, with novels), so seeing it in it“s entirety was fantastic (though I personally prefer the ballad of the Paladin...and love to sing it to any Paladin that crosses my in-game path *winks*).
"Tribute" is, in it“s style, a really cool concept which I enjoyed very much. Add another voice to the chorus of those very interested in the "Deep Waters" collection. Now, how to blackmail the powers that be into publishing this as an anthology by you and Ed...
"Answered Prayers" is a short, but packed, wild ride with an insightful end.This might be the only group of women, I could se a certain bardic character of yours doing anything to get away from as quickly as possible. Then again...maye not.
But the best part for me was re-reading the stories I had already known in connection with your prefaces, which were a fantastic addition. Although I had read most of them several times before, the prefaces often made a new angle available, how to read them, and I found stuff in them I never noticed before. So thank you very much for that.
Although...I am sure you DO realize you have created a new desire...a craving...a need among your readers by including those, yes? So don“t blame anybody but yourself *g*.
For now, we need to find a way for an x-parted Elaine Cunningham Annotated Omnibus *winks*.

And off my post“s topic, but I couldn“t agree with you more on your last post.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2007 :  14:24:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Hi, Dart. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the short story collection.

A "Deep Waters" collection would be fun to do, but I suspect it would appeal only to die-hard Realmslore fans and, as such, lack appeal to readers looking for a fast sword and sorcery adventure. I might be wrong, but the only future I can see for a project of this nature is for stories to be published online as free downloads, much as "Tribute" was posted on the Wizards website.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2007 :  20:40:59  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message
Well met,

I cannot find any source which says why Elaith is named "Serpent". Could someone tell me please ?

Thanks a lot.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2007 :  22:17:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

I cannot find any source which says why Elaith is named "Serpent". Could someone tell me please ?

Well, I can give my opinion: this is probably very obvious, but I always thought it was because serpents are thought of with a certain amount of wariness--a snake (or certain ones, at least) will bite simply because it's in their nature to do so, so you don't want to get too close to them. Anyone who knows about Elaith will give him a wide berth for similar reasons (you upset him, he "bites" you).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 28 May 2007 22:19:01
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2007 :  22:40:17  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message
"He earned his nickname as much from his sinous grace in battle as from his acerbic, black humour."

At least that is what 2E Villains Lorebook says, though I“d be inclined more towards Rinonalyrna“s explanation.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2007 :  22:40:39  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Well, I can give my opinion: this is probably very obvious, but I always thought it was because serpents are thought of with a certain amount of wariness--a snake (or certain ones, at least) will bite simply because it's in their nature to do so, so you don't want to get too close to them. Anyone who knows about Elaith will give him a wide berth for similar reasons (you upset him, he "bites" you).

Well put, Lady. They are cold blooded and watch you with dead eyes, awaiting their chance to strike with lightning speed. No one is safe...

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  02:46:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Thanks guys.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Iakhovas
Acolyte

Germany
13 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  06:32:25  Show Profile  Visit Iakhovas's Homepage Send Iakhovas a Private Message
Hello Elaine,

I've finished reading your anthology a week ago. Thank you for writing Elminster's Jest. This one is definitely going into my campaigns. I have a friend who plays a bard in my group, and he really spends time composing his bardic songs based on the group's adventures. Even his spellcasting is recited in lyrical poems that sometimes rhymes. So I'm sure he would love this.

I enjoyed every story in the anthology ... except one: Stolen Dreams. The reason: Isabeau Thione.

I absolutely, utterly loathe, hate, despise this character. And after reading Stolen Dreams, I was in a terrible mood the whole day. I felt like kicking Arilyn for not cleaving that one into several strips. I keep asking myself, why oh why can't Arilyn do the Realms this one noble act?

And so, I feel immensely frustrated that vile Isabeau gets away with murder. IMO, she's simply irredeemable. PLEASE Elaine, have mercy on me and stop writing about her if you plan on making her get away with all her crimes ... in the future. You know, I usually "love" all your villains, but this is one that I can't stomach. A week later and I'm still upset after reading Stolen Dreams.

It's not your fault, really. It's just that I find your characters compelling and I unfortunately get too attached to them and feel like they're my own. I feel soiled however when it comes to Isabeau Thione. I hope Elaith and Arilyn come to their senses and make her suffer greatly before killing her without any hope of resurrection.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  14:54:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Iakhovas

Thank you for writing Elminster's Jest. This one is definitely going into my campaigns. I have a friend who plays a bard in my group, and he really spends time composing his bardic songs based on the group's adventures. Even his spellcasting is recited in lyrical poems that sometimes rhymes. So I'm sure he would love this.

Is your friend also a musician? Because if he actually sings and/or plays an instrument, he might be interested to know that this is a fully composed piece of music. I've scored it several different ways(i.e., for lute, viol da gamba and flute, or for voice and harp) and at one point I even had sheet music for it. Maybe some day I'll redo this stuff (it was done on a MIDI system that's WAY of out date and no longer exists) and make it available online--WotC permitting, of course.

quote:
I absolutely, utterly loathe, hate, despise this character. And after reading Stolen Dreams, I was in a terrible mood the whole day.

Well, it looks as if my job is done. Isabeau was supposed to be loathsome. There aren't a lot of villains like her in the Realms, but I've run into a few that veer in her particular direction in real life. She's the high school Mean Girl who'll stomp on people in her quest for popularity power, the catty suburban blond who considers her size four body currency and her gastroentrologist hubby the payoff, the eerily self-absorbed girl-child who'll do anything and hurt anyone to get what she wants at that particular moment. Take these people, ramp them up a few notches, and there's Isabeau.

quote:
I felt like kicking Arilyn for not cleaving that one into several strips. I keep asking myself, why oh why can't Arilyn do the Realms this one noble act?

Uh, because that wasn't in her job description? She was hired to bring Isabeau safely to Waterdeep, so that's what she did. As Arilyn herself noted, it would have been a lot easier to kill the bitch than to take her alive. But Arilyn has this unfortunate Lawful tendency, her alignment notwithstanding.

quote:
And so, I feel immensely frustrated that vile Isabeau gets away with murder. IMO, she's simply irredeemable. PLEASE Elaine, have mercy on me and stop writing about her if you plan on making her get away with all her crimes ... in the future. You know, I usually "love" all your villains, but this is one that I can't stomach. A week later and I'm still upset after reading Stolen Dreams.

It's not your fault, really. It's just that I find your characters compelling and I unfortunately get too attached to them and feel like they're my own. I feel soiled however when it comes to Isabeau Thione. I hope Elaith and Arilyn come to their senses and make her suffer greatly before killing her without any hope of resurrection.

May I remind you that Isabeau was responsible for the death of Danilo's half-sister Lily, and refer you to a comment Danilo made in the short story "The Knights of Samular: "My lady Arilyn has wrongs to redress; Elaith has people to kill...Business as usual, only this time my ill-assorted elven friends find themselves in rare accord." In NBA parlance, Isabeau is about to be double-teamed.

Stay tuned--this story is not yet over.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 30 May 2007 00:53:44
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  15:07:36  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Iakhovas

Even his spellcasting is recited in lyrical poems that sometimes rhymes.

Reminds me of one of my few RPG-playing experiences. A small con in the midwest, a home-brewed campaign. Since I was playing a bard, I had to cast a battle spell. As a verbal component, I sang a few bars of "L'homme arme," (The Armed Man) a medieval French tune. Sung full voice by a classically trained soprano. I guess that's not done a lot. There were a lot of startled-looking gamers in that hall.
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  15:28:21  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I like the idea of the drow evolving (devolving?) from a sub-race of black-skinned elves. Any suggestion that their color was part of a curse earned by their evil ways annoys me to no end. I'm not in favor of so-called Political Correctness and the notion that invented worlds must subscribe to it; in fact, I've often been accused of political INcorrectness because my elves are not can't-we-all-just-get-along? liberal Democrats and card-carrying ACLU members. There's a big, big difference between "good" and "pc." I maintain that a character can be "good" while holding beliefs that are at odds with our Western, 21st century, Judeo-Christian values. Tribalism, a tendency toward "Us vs. Them" mentality, is deeply engrained into our species and, I suspect, fantasy species as well. I don't think you can ignore that, not as a writer or, for that matter, as a person.

Actually, I like your elves better than that too-PC-for-words ones of, say, Mercedes Lackey. Yours seem more like people as compared to vehicles for the author's views, if you know what I mean.

And THANK YOU for that whole "doesn't have to be PC to be good". I hate that line of argument in history, fantasy, historical fiction, or anywhere else it shows up. It's been part of the idea behind some writing of my own (nowhere near as good as yours!), where I set characters in settings based on Aztec Mexico or Sassanid Persia and try to show them acting 'normally' for that society, but having some decency as well.

quote:
That said, the "if you're black, it's because you're accursed" theory is, to my way of thinking, WAY too similar to the real-world belief that dark-skinned humans are a legacy of the curse G-d placed on Cain for the murder of his brother Abel. And yes, there are people who truly believe this nonsence. I've run into more than a few of them. They piss me off. If I'm going to play in an invented world, I'm not about to duplicate the sort of things invented by the ignorant to justify bigotry.

First of all (and OT), does any group aside from the Montana militias or the like even accept that anymore? I'm not calling you a liar, please don't think that for a second, but that sounds very far out compared to even the most hard-right fellow believers I know of.

Secondly, and more on-topic, if I remmeber right it's now "canon" in the new Drow of the Underdark book that the drow were originally light-skinned before they went Below. Suffice to say that I really dislike that argument, and I'm kinda surprised it actually got through. Oh well, just because WOTC said it doesn;t mean I have to use it.

Best wishes with your future writing!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  15:54:58  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir
First of all (and OT), does any group aside from the Montana militias or the like even accept that anymore? I'm not calling you a liar, please don't think that for a second, but that sounds very far out compared to even the most hard-right fellow believers I know of.

These days? I couldn't tell you whether or not people still hold this belief. I haven't been part of the conservative religious communty for twenty-five years, which is why I didn't say that people STILL held to this notion--just that I've run into quite a few people who DID.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 29 May 2007 20:34:50
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  17:55:57  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

Secondly, and more on-topic, if I remmeber right it's now "canon" in the new Drow of the Underdark book that the drow were originally light-skinned before they went Below. Suffice to say that I really dislike that argument, and I'm kinda surprised it actually got through. Oh well, just because WOTC said it doesn;t mean I have to use it.

Best wishes with your future writing!

Keep in mind that Drow of the Underdark is generic D&D, not Forgotten Realms-specific, so things may vary between the settings (and if the Wizards-people will have one iota of feeling that consistency might be important to a long-running setting it will vary in this particular case).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  19:56:11  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Hi, folks.

I'm currently reading submissions for an anthology of Lilith tales. For more info, see www.elainecunningham.com/lilith.htm.

Best,
ec

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 04 Jun 2007 19:57:49
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  00:09:03  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Elaine, I have some questions about "The Knights of Samular" short story which I hope that you will have the time to answer, please:

1. Was Renwick Caradoon what we, today, would call "dyslexic"?

2. What is the name of the phenomenal device which Danilo used to show the kiira contents, and just how extraordinarily rare are they?

3. Where might I find more information about the Collectors and their goals, nefarious and otherwise?

I apologize if you've dealt with these matters in some of your novels, but I have a lot of reading to do in order to be fully "caught up" with your writing output!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  02:39:08  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Elaine, I have some questions about "The Knights of Samular" short story which I hope that you will have the time to answer, please:

1. Was Renwick Caradoon what we, today, would call "dyslexic"?

2. What is the name of the phenomenal device which Danilo used to show the kiira contents, and just how extraordinarily rare are they?

3. Where might I find more information about the Collectors and their goals, nefarious and otherwise?

I apologize if you've dealt with these matters in some of your novels, but I have a lot of reading to do in order to be fully "caught up" with your writing output!

1. Yes.
2. I call them kiharian, and while they are exceedingly rare, there are two or three of them on mainland Faerun--including one in Candlekeep.
3. To the best of my knowledge, there IS no other known lore on the Collectors. This story was the first mention of them.

No, none of these issues have been dealt with in previous books. The short story continues where Thornhold left off, but questions 2 and 3 deal with new revelations.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  19:39:28  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:

-The world is made up of all sorts of people, with all sorts of beliefs. Some seem wacky, some don't seem so wacky. Some are mainstream, and some are not. Who really knows what's in people's hearts and minds.

quote:
Originally posted by ArdashirSecondly, and more on-topic, if I remmeber right it's now "canon" in the new Drow of the Underdark book that the drow were originally light-skinned before they went Below. Suffice to say that I really dislike that argument, and I'm kinda surprised it actually got through. Oh well, just because WOTC said it doesn;t mean I have to use it.

-Forgotten Realms canon supercedes general D&D canon. As Dark Elves were already dark skinned, that notion in the new Drow of the Underdark does not apply.

quote:
Originally posted by Elaine Cunningham
2. I call them kiharian, and while they are exceedingly rare, there are two or three of them on mainland Faerun--including one in Candlekeep.

-Kiharian, eh? What exactly does that mean in Elven?

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 05 Jun 2007 19:45:44
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2007 :  22:41:42  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion
-Kiharian, eh? What exactly does that mean in Elven?

Hard to translate. An approximation would be "gem mirror."
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  01:10:15  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

(snip)

1. Yes.
3. To the best of my knowledge, there IS no other known lore on the Collectors. This story was the first mention of them.

No, none of these issues have been dealt with in previous books. The short story continues where Thornhold left off, but questions 2 and 3 deal with new revelations.

Merci!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  05:56:26  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:
Hard to translate. An approximation would be "gem mirror."

-Cool. Any little tidbit is appreciated.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  06:22:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Elaine, I've a particular query that I have sent via email. There's no hurry for a response, so I'm content to wait.

Thanks.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  11:16:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Just a comment, not a question:

My sorta brother-in-law ("sorta" because I've not yet popped the question to his sister) is just getting into the Realms. Since his birthday is tomorrow, I'm getting him the Starlight & Shadows gift set and Evermeet.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  22:50:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Elaine, I've a particular query that I have sent via email. There's no hurry for a response, so I'm content to wait.

Thanks.

Got it, read it, sent a reply. Let's hope THIS email gets through!

ec,
generating black holes in cyberspace since 1997
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  22:51:50  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

My sorta brother-in-law ("sorta" because I've not yet popped the question to his sister) is just getting into the Realms. Since his birthday is tomorrow, I'm getting him the Starlight & Shadows gift set and Evermeet.

Yikes! I hope he likes them--I'd hate to be the cause of bad feelings between you and your sorta in-laws.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  01:08:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Thanks.

Got it, read it, sent a reply. Let's hope THIS email gets through!
Aye. I haven't checked. If it's made it through, you can likely expect a reply.

quote:
ec,
generating black holes in cyberspace since 1997
They'd be null points in the programming background of cyberspace. I've created a couple myself. Heh.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  02:18:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yikes! I hope he likes them--I'd hate to be the cause of bad feelings between you and your sorta in-laws.

Heh. Considering his drunken ramblings on the night of his bachelor party, I'm thinking it will take a lot more than a disliked trilogy to get on his bad side.

And oh my, was he a happy, friendly drunk! I had more fun watching his antics than I did when the stripper was there!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2007 :  14:27:59  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Hello Elaine!

Small question. How many songs would Danilo have written in his lifetime as a Bard?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2007 :  14:47:38  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Small question. How many songs would Danilo have written in his lifetime as a Bard?

Hi, Uzzy. Hmm. Y'know, I've never thought about this. I see him as fairly prolific, though, so as of Realms Current Time, I'd say about three or four dozen bawdy/silly tavern ballads and perhaps that many serious works to his credit.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000