Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

koz
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2007 :  06:12:23  Show Profile  Visit koz's Homepage Send koz a Private Message
Greetings Elaine,
I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed the Songs and Swords and Starlight and Shadows series as well as Thornhold. They are some of my favorite books. Each has great characterization, depth, detail and overall great stories. They all flow very nicely from start to finish with very little down time. I still have to get around to Evermeet the Counselors and Kings series and Windwalker. I have heard great things about all of them and am sure I will enjoy all of them immensely. This may be off topic but I thought you might be interested in knowing that you are the main character in a novel titled The Last Spymaster.

Book Description

As chief of the CIA’s elite Clandestine Services, Jay Tice was a legend throughout the world of international intelligence. But secretly he was also a traitor, selling information that would compromise the security of the United States for decades to come. Since his treachery was exposed, Tice has been kept under strict surveillance in a maximum security prison. Then one morning, his cell is discovered empty. Tice has vanished—without tripping an alarm or leaving any trace of his passing.

Elaine Cunningham is a hunter, a CIA operative who specializes in finding people who don’t want to be found. Young, gifted, and a maverick, she is assigned to track Tice—until she discovers there is far more at stake than an old spy’s last run for freedom.

Lurking in the shadows are other hidden players with their own lethal agendas…and from Geneva to Washington, Berlin to New York City, a deadly conspiracy is coalescing. With only a few hours to go and the future of millions in the balance, Cunningham must uncover the truth behind the legend of
THE LAST SPYMASTER.

I know it has nothing to do with the Realms but I thought it was interesting.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  12:01:20  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by koz

I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed the Songs and Swords and Starlight and Shadows series as well as Thornhold....This may be off topic but I thought you might be interested in knowing that you are the main character in a novel titled The Last Spymaster.

Much appreciated, Koz.

Yes, I've run across references to this character. Encountering a character with your name feels a little odd, but then, neither my first name nor my last are uncommon, so it's not too surprising. A Google search will also turn up a Scottish interior designer and a professional soccer player in Jamaica.

This is a good cautionery tale for writers; in the future, I will be sure to Google possible character names to see what comes up. I do this from time to time, but from now on, it's a policy.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  12:10:25  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

Elaine, in Evermeet: Island of the Elves, Nakiasha, Amlauril’s ‘Tutor’ says to her, “You and I both carry the special blessings of the Seldarine”. What exactly does she mean by this? The most obvious blessing that Amlauril carries is the fact that she is a Chosen/Proxy. Like Amlauril, Nakiasha also was said to have been very old, and was able to push aside the call to Arvandor for a very long time. Was Nakiasha, like Amlauril, a Chosen/Proxy of the Seldarine?

Not quite. I'm a little leery of applying Chosen/Proxy status to every powerful character, lest Chosen become as ubiquitous as moonblades. Nakiasha was an ancient, powerful elf. It seems to me that someone who wields that much power for that long would be likely to view herself as an instrument/conduit for the gods. The alternative, the belief that this power is personal and inherent, strikes me as a short and slippery path to egomania.
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2007 :  03:12:21  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Hello again Elaine.

I've just read The City of Splendors, and I have to say it was a very enjoyable read! Wanted to ask a question about a little thread of a plot in that book.

One of the characters, Naoni Dyre, at one point explains to Korvaun why she 'despises nobles', saying that her mother, Ilyndeira Dyre, almost married into the Cassalanter family, and gave birth to a red haired girl, before being sent away. She also explains that the child was taken into the family, a gift from the gods. I was wondering if that child grew up into Mynra Cassalanter, the red haired one woman rumour mill in several of the Songs and Swords novels.

Thanks in advance for any answers you can give us.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  22:18:40  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Hello again Elaine.

I've just read The City of Splendors, and I have to say it was a very enjoyable read! Wanted to ask a question about a little thread of a plot in that book.

One of the characters, Naoni Dyre, at one point explains to Korvaun why she 'despises nobles', saying that her mother, Ilyndeira Dyre, almost married into the Cassalanter family, and gave birth to a red haired girl, before being sent away. She also explains that the child was taken into the family, a gift from the gods. I was wondering if that child grew up into Mynra Cassalanter, the red haired one woman rumour mill in several of the Songs and Swords novels.

Thanks in advance for any answers you can give us.

Hi, Uzzy. Glad to hear you enjoed CoS!

Good eye on the Myrna Cassalanter bit. :) Myrna's hair is a lot redder than either of the Dyre girls, but just about every description of her mentioned that she uses henna to brighten the hue.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2007 :  04:27:25  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Elaine, I just wanted to thank you for the Heads-up you gave on Amazon that the Kings and Councilors series went Out of Print. I do not know how it slipped through, but I never had read them. As soon as I saw that I was lucky enough to pick up all 3 on eBay. I read them as soon as they arrived, and like the previous of your works that I have read, I enjoyed them emensely.( I am sure Erik will forgive me for letting my copy of Depths of Madness sitting on my -nightstand un-opened while I devoured your trilogy!!)

I know we cannot see all of our favorite stories flushed out in full, but I would enjoy more of Tzigone and Matteo in the future.

You are truely a Crown Jewel in the realm of fiction! I look forward to you "Best of" and all of your future jaunts into the realms.

Thank You and See you 'round the Realms!!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2007 :  06:10:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I know we cannot see all of our favorite stories flushed out in full, but I would enjoy more of Tzigone and Matteo in the future.

I'd love to see Matteo, Tzigone, Arilyn and Danilo meet... Not to have one of those "Ooh, let's find a reason for all our fave characters to meet!" kinda tales, but just to see Tzigone and Danilo teaming up to drive Arilyn and Matteo crazy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2007 :  18:25:20  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I'd love to see Matteo, Tzigone, Arilyn and Danilo meet... Not to have one of those "Ooh, let's find a reason for all our fave characters to meet!" kinda tales, but just to see Tzigone and Danilo teaming up to drive Arilyn and Matteo crazy.

Heh. It has pointed out that every one of my FR character pairs tends to have a mischievous, humorous, and/or chaotic type. Maybe someday I'll put together a story about a party of adventurers who are all a bit off the wall. It'd be fun to write, but I'd have to use another setting. A story of this nature would not fit the current tone of the Realms at all.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2007 :  18:35:39  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

Elaine, I just wanted to thank you for the Heads-up you gave on Amazon that the Kings and Councilors series went Out of Print. I do not know how it slipped through, but I never had read them. As soon as I saw that I was lucky enough to pick up all 3 on eBay. I read them as soon as they arrived, and like the previous of your works that I have read, I enjoyed them immensely.

Glad to hear it! This was the first time I ever attempted to plot a story as a trilogy. There were glitches, but on the whole, I had a good time with it.

Since the trilogy is out of print, it seems safe to assume that a sequel is not part of the plan.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2007 :  02:32:44  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Heh. It has pointed out that every one of my FR character pairs tends to have a mischievous, humorous, and/or chaotic type. Maybe someday I'll put together a story about a party of adventurers who are all a bit off the wall. It'd be fun to write, but I'd have to use another setting. A story of this nature would not fit the current tone of the Realms at all.

I'm not so sure Elaine, it seems to work well for The Young Knights of Myth Drannor.

I think they all have a quirk of two!!

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2007 :  02:38:16  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

Glad to hear it! This was the first time I ever attempted to plot a story as a trilogy. There were glitches, but on the whole, I had a good time with it.

Since the trilogy is out of print, it seems safe to assume that a sequel is not part of the plan.

While it was not as seemless as you more recent offerings, I think you pulled it together very well. Especially when you take a step back and look at the scope of this trilogy. A legendary, almost mythical magical empire chock full of Power and Huge Egos.

What did it for me though was your characters, as always compelling and real.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2007 :  11:46:11  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
I'm not so sure Elaine, it seems to work well for The Young Knights of Myth Drannor.

I think they all have a quirk of two!!

You have a point.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  23:43:01  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:
Not quite. I'm a little leery of applying Chosen/Proxy status to every powerful character, lest Chosen become as ubiquitous as moonblades. Nakiasha was an ancient, powerful elf. It seems to me that someone who wields that much power for that long would be likely to view herself as an instrument/conduit for the gods. The alternative, the belief that this power is personal and inherent, strikes me as a short and slippery path to egomania.

-Thank you very much, Elaine.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  18:56:03  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met, Elaine!

After going long without a copy of City of Splendors, I have suddenly become the owner of two copies, one ex-lib, the other new. Which prompts a question about your personal practices at book signings.

Would you please tell us how you, personally, prefer to do public book signings? I.e., do you mind signing multiple copies of books, are you dismayed if someone brings mostly old books for signing, do you like to chat with fans then or would you prefer that they kept the line moving, etc.?

Now that I have a decent accumulation of your books, I'm going to be scanning your newsletter carefully for for future signing dates in SoCal. Come on down here to the land of 80 degree winters!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  19:38:38  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Would you please tell us how you, personally, prefer to do public book signings? I.e., do you mind signing multiple copies of books, are you dismayed if someone brings mostly old books for signing, do you like to chat with fans then or would you prefer that they kept the line moving, etc.?

This depends entirely on the venue and the number of people. If there's a line, I usually ask people who have multiple copies (i.e., more than three or four) to leave them, and I'll sign them after the line is down. I have no problem with old books, which is where the multiple copies issue generally come into play. (Sometimes people come to signings with a backpack or shopping bag full.) Chatting is good, but again, that depends on the setting. If there's a short line and you've got questions or just want to chat, hang around.

quote:
Now that I have a decent accumulation of your books, I'm going to be scanning your newsletter carefully for for future signing dates in SoCal. Come on down here to the land of 80 degree winters!

We lived in LA for two years a while back, and yes, I did appreciate the SoCal winters. That said, I don't anticipate returning any time in the near future. Book tours are less common these days even for bestselling authors, and midlist authors are seldom sent on tour.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  19:50:48  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
*sigh* Hopefully the new management of Strategicon/Orccon will think it a wonderful idea to invite you out here!

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2007 :  23:53:20  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
-Elaine, I now have a pair of questions about The Radiant Dragon, actually. Good book, by the way- far superior to the others in the series, in all seriousness).

-Firstly, Prince Asturian? Is he actually a son of Amlauril and Zaor? I don't think so, since I couldn't find any mentions of him in Evermeet: Island of the Elves, but I figured if anyone knows, it would be you.

-The next thing I am wondering is what does "Quex Etrielle" mean? Vallus Leafblower, when he first addresses Queen Amlauril says this. I am assuming this is a courtly way of saying, "Greetings, Queen", or something like that, since the word 'Etrielle' seems closely related to the word 'Etriel', which means a 'Noble Elven Woman'. Am I right in my thinking? Wrong? Almost?

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2007 :  00:33:58  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Hi, Dagnirion! Glad you enjoyed the Spelljammer book.

"Prince" Asturian was not a son of the royal Moonflower family, but a younger half-brother of Amlaruil. The title is not exactly accurate, but a polite form of address and close enough for humans. (This is unpublished back story, and may be contradicted elsewhere in the lore. But I doubt it.)

The phrase, to my way of thinking, can be roughly translated as "most noble (supreme) lady." So, yeah--you were almost there.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2007 :  00:37:34  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

*sigh* Hopefully the new management of Strategicon/Orccon will think it a wonderful idea to invite you out here!

Interesting idea, but I doubt that will happen. Schlepping a fantasy/horror writing over from New England is a bit extreme, unless we're talking about Jane Yolen, Stephen King, R.A. Salvatore, or someone of similar stature.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2007 :  19:02:32  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Well met, all!

Elaine, would you please be kind enough to provide us with a current chronological order of all of your Realms writings? (I mean "chronological" as they unfolded on Toril, not as you wrote them, which is a simple enough matter to look up.)

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2007 :  20:27:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Well met, all!

Elaine, would you please be kind enough to provide us with a current chronological order of all of your Realms writings? (I mean "chronological" as they unfolded on Toril, not as you wrote them, which is a simple enough matter to look up.)

Thanks.

I'm obviously not Elaine, but I think you can find the info you seek on her website. Specifically: http://www.elainecunningham.com/chronology_of_fr_stories.htm

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2007 :  21:48:10  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Thanks, Wooly! I really should update this page to include the last few stories, but it does have most of the info.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2007 :  01:16:07  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:

"Prince" Asturian was not a son of the royal Moonflower family, but a younger half-brother of Amlaruil. The title is not exactly accurate, but a polite form of address and close enough for humans. (This is unpublished back story, and may be contradicted elsewhere in the lore. But I doubt it.)

-Hmmm....Interesting. Very interesting. So, does that mean that Amlauril has other (Half)brothers and/or sisters? I always had it in my that she was an only child, and truthfully, the thought never crossed my mind that she might have siblings.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2007 :  01:46:12  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion
-Hmmm....Interesting. Very interesting. So, does that mean that Amlauril has other (Half)brothers and/or sisters?

She might. In all candor, I haven't worked out a complete family tree, and I probably shouldn't speculate any further than this.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2007 :  02:19:02  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
-Well, it's interesting stuff to keep in mind.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2007 :  06:49:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I found this post floating in the ether...
quote:
Originally posted by Iakhovas

Hello Elaine,

I am a great fan of yours and have read all your FR novels, which I loved of course. You mentioned that Councilors & Kings is OOP. It is possible that WoTC will have it reprinted, you know.

In Elfsong, you wrote that Danilo wrote a song of their foray that took place in Elfshadow and that this song gave his guise away. Also you wrote that Danilo composed a bawdy song and "saved" it on his singing sword. You know, the one that made Elaith go bonkers when he used the sword against the harpies. (Btw, that was one scene I'll never forget. It's just priceless!)

Would you by any chance have the lyrics of both songs and can you share it with us? Also I recall dimly that you posted a short bawdy song about a paladin whose wish came true but not the way he wanted. Please repost the lyrics to that one, too EC.

And thanks for writing such colorful stories.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Apr 2007 06:54:39
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2007 :  14:36:59  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Thanks for posting this, Sage. Apparently I'm having a spell of bad postal karma. Of late, packages have taken forever to get where they're going (or theygo astray altogether), emails don't reach me (including the files you've sent me). I cannot access any Blogger account, mine or anyone else's. So it comes as no surprise to learn that posts are floating in cyberspace. The question is whether a computer technician or a priest is the better equipped to exorcise this situation.

As to the lyrics, the ballad of the singing sword ("Elminster's Jest") will be printed in its entirety in the upcoming "best of ec" collection. The other ballad is merely referred to, and does not exist as music and lyrics.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2007 :  15:11:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

...emails don't reach me (including the files you've sent me).
Which is strange in and of itself... because I haven't had any messages to tell me that the files I previously sent to you, haven't been received.

I'll try re-sending them once more. If that doesn't work, I'll include them on my temporary website and you can then download the files themselves. That's probably the best solution.

quote:
I cannot access any Blogger account, mine or anyone else's. So it comes as no surprise to learn that posts are floating in cyberspace. The question is whether a computer technician or a priest is the better equipped to exorcise this situation.
Well, part of my day job is 'Tech Support and Help Desk' [along with plenty of programming to keep me occupied], so I'd be willing to tackle this problem if you like. Given the lack of an active email though, you may want to try sending me any further information you've learned about your current computer woes, via PMs here at Candlekeep.

I'll see what I can do.

quote:
As to the lyrics, the ballad of the singing sword ("Elminster's Jest") will be printed in its entirety in the upcoming "best of ec" collection.
Oooh! I can't wait...

quote:
The other ballad is merely referred to, and does not exist as music and lyrics.
Yet!

Hehe...

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  12:22:34  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Sage, to compound the weirdness, I did not receive an email message from Candlekeep informing me of your post, even though I'm subscribed to this thread and receive messages about other posts to it. There appears to be a black hole in cyberspace betwixt me and thee. Bizarre.

Thanks for the offer of help with the Blogger issue. Once the dust clears a little, I may take you up on it!

As to the song, recently I've been toying with the idea of getting new MIDI software, moving my electronic piano up from the basement to my office, and doing some composition and arranging. (Every now and then I resolve to do something about that music degree that's just lying around collecting dust.) But I just started a part-time job in addition to full-time writing, so there's not a lot of hobby time these days. Plus, this weekend I lent the electronic piano to a friend who wants piano/voice/theory lessons, which is another thing I'm adding to the schedule.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  14:07:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Sage, to compound the weirdness, I did not receive an email message from Candlekeep informing me of your post, even though I'm subscribed to this thread and receive messages about other posts to it. There appears to be a black hole in cyberspace betwixt me and thee. Bizarre.
Indeed.

I think I'll take a look at my own side of the 'black hole' as well, and see what I can come up with.

quote:
Thanks for the offer of help with the Blogger issue. Once the dust clears a little, I may take you up on it!
Not a problem -- I'm ready to assist!

quote:
As to the song, recently I've been toying with the idea of getting new MIDI software, moving my electronic piano up from the basement to my office, and doing some composition and arranging. (Every now and then I resolve to do something about that music degree that's just lying around collecting dust.)
Hehe...

I was thinking about trying my own hand at this. I'm not without some musical ability myself [I've some training in the classical/baroque styles]... and I've composed limited pieces for Realms songs before [that have featured in my campaigns from time to time], so I'd like to see exactly what I can do with this.

quote:
But I just started a part-time job in addition to full-time writing, so there's not a lot of hobby time these days. Plus, this weekend I lent the electronic piano to a friend who wants piano/voice/theory lessons, which is another thing I'm adding to the schedule.
Congratulations on the new job.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000