Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2007 :  02:22:35  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message
Just a couple of points to make here:

1. Lets make sure to keep this scroll, and the other scrolls in this section, free from discussions between ourselves about various points of lore. If you wish to discuss parts of the various novels with each other, feel free to check out the novels section and come up with an appropriate topic. In here, lets try to cofine ourselves to discussing our questions with the authors, unless you know specifically where an answer might be found to a given question.

2. Please make sure to try and and search around and see if your question has been asked and answered earlier in the thread, to avoid spending our authors' time answering questions that have already been delved into in depth. Elaine and the others that frequent Candlekeep are very generous with their time and energy in answering our questions, so lets make sure we make the most of the time they devote to us and the site.

Thanks all, and with that, back to questions for Elaine.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  15:10:47  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps
A Danilo Thann question. Do you think he is genuinely Khelben's successor in your mind?

I think he could have been. He has the aptitude, but not the desire. Great, almost limitless power is not for everyone, and there are a number of very good reasons why some people would avoid such roles.

A lot of that goes to Danilo's unpublished backstory, which is fairly grim. I won't go into that in any detail, given my stand on unapproved lore, other that to say he started dabbling in magic at a very early age, with disasterous results. Khelben took him on not only to train him, but to help him heal from the aftereffects--and, quite frankly, because his situation whetted Khelben's professional curiosity. The archmage was both intrigued and appalled that a kid could create that much damage.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  15:22:25  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

One odd query and that is, do you think Arilyn still has some feelings towards Kymil? Killing her mother probably destroyed all of them but she very much is the product of his shaping her in my opinion (certainly I don't think her mother made her stoic, deadly assassin).

When someone is used and betrayed to the extent that Kymil did Arilyn, I don't think those feelings ever completely go away. Betrayal is such a powerful, indeed, devastating, emotion that it tends to overshadow others, yet it is fueled and shaped by other feelings just as white light includes all colors of light. Underlying and fueling Arilyn's sense of betrayal would be such emotions as hero worship, gratitude for more or less adopting her, respect for his abilities, loyalty (he's essentially her employer), and a deep sense of insecurity fostered by his pro-gold elf philosophy (even if you don't overtly state such things, they will ring through). Kymil was a major force in shaping her life, and, knowing what he is, I think we can add shame and guilt to the welter of underlying emotions.

That said, Arilyn's mother DID teach her to fight. Amnestria knew the history and powers of the sword she hoped Arilyn would inherit. It's an adventurer's blade, and most of its powers are suited to an adventurer's life, so that's the style of fighting and the tendencies of personality that Amnestria fostered in her child.
Go to Top of Page

Virendar
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2007 :  05:36:40  Show Profile  Visit Virendar's Homepage Send Virendar a Private Message
One question for Lady Cunningham

In your Songs and Swords series...would it be okay to skip the Thorhold novel and go from Silver Shadows - Dream Spheres?

would i miss anything important, like will you mention any characters/scenes from Thornhold in your 6th final book?

Edited by - Virendar on 18 Jan 2007 05:38:20
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2007 :  13:22:37  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Virendar

One question for Lady Cunningham

In your Songs and Swords series...would it be okay to skip the Thorhold novel and go from Silver Shadows - Dream Spheres?

would i miss anything important, like will you mention any characters/scenes from Thornhold in your 6th final book?

Sure, you can do that. There's only a minor scene in Dream Spheres that refers to people and events in Thornhold, and it's pretty much self-explanatory.

I'm doing my best to make the last book something that doesn't require ANY previous reading to follow and enjoy. My goal is for people to WANT to read the previous books, not HAVE to read the previous books.

Hoping that works out....

On the other hand, you should read Thornhold before reading the short story "The Knights of Samular" in the upcoming "best of ec" anthology. This story exists to tie up loose threads, and people who haven't read Thornhold are likely to be a little puzzled.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2007 :  19:57:15  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
I've finally (!) finished reading The Radiant Dragon and am, at long last, into The Ultimate Helm. Thank you for writing such a lovely novel, Elaine.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2007 :  22:19:45  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I've finally (!) finished reading The Radiant Dragon and am, at long last, into The Ultimate Helm. Thank you for writing such a lovely novel, Elaine.

Glad you enjoyed the story.

Mod edit: Fixed the quote code.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Jan 2007 22:42:24
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  05:43:00  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message
A question for Elaine

Other than Dragon fear what other powers does Elaiths family Moonblade have?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  13:34:17  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

A question for Elaine

Other than Dragon fear what other powers does Elaiths family Moonblade have?

That's something I'd prefer to reveal "on stage." Also, it's entirely possible that some one else will tell that tale, and I don't want to box that hypothetical person in.
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  14:47:44  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message
Hi Elaine!

I was wondering if you have any idea whether the 6th Songs and Swords book might be seeing a Hardback release at all? Or is it too early to speculate about that? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  18:38:04  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

I was wondering if you have any idea whether the 6th Songs and Swords book might be seeing a Hardback release at all? Or is it too early to speculate about that? Thanks.

To the best of my knowledge, S&S#6 will be a mass market paperback. This makes sense--all the previous books were paperback originals, and since it's the last book in the series, why go to hardcover now?

Keep in mind that hardcover re-releases of paperback originals are VERY rare. I suppose all things are possible, and it may be that some day the series will be reprinted in some sort of omnibus fashion. But I don't know of any such plans, and I'm certainly not counting on it.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 22 Jan 2007 20:36:16
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2007 :  14:47:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
HELP NEEDED:

If anyone has archived posts from the old WotC Novels forum, please drop me an email. I'm looking for several "Hamish" excerpts posted on that forum.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2007 :  04:37:38  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

To the best of my knowledge, S&S#6 will be a mass market paperback. This makes sense--all the previous books were paperback originals, and since it's the last book in the series, why go to hardcover now?

Keep in mind that hardcover re-releases of paperback originals are VERY rare. I suppose all things are possible, and it may be that some day the series will be reprinted in some sort of omnibus fashion. But I don't know of any such plans, and I'm certainly not counting on it.

Think big Elaine! come on...

If you get number 6 in hardcover, you'll open an whole new can of 'hardcover only' readers (don't laugh, they're not all stupid: my dad is one of them because the font is bigger and his eyes are not getting better with age; and also, true book lovers really enjoy the feel of nice, thick & chunky hardcover)

With #6 released as a hardcover, it will be weeks, maybe even just days before you get a phone call asking you "how you feel 'bout Elfshadow in hardcover next trimester?"

Go ahead. Be bold. And think of me circa Christmas 2007. Thank you, that was a pleasure!

NOTE: our small 15 guys company got the contract to do some engineering surveys for a working canadian diamond mine, so I just came back from a week of shopping and negotiating supplies for the trip, amounting to $35,000.00 so far (for 2 guys! Yes, all the items purchased are Masterwork, and then some! ), and mounting. Feels good when the big guys give you a blank check and tell you to prepare 'for an arctic journey', with two on-site choppers, a fleet of ski-doos, and a fully manned base camp for your support! So there Elaine, I'm rubbing some of my "boldness-grig-dust" on ye, and I'm thinkin' you'll be lucky with that whole hardcover era ahead of ye!

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 27 Jan 2007 04:40:02
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2007 :  16:58:30  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Heh. I suppose anything's possible, but I won't be budgeting with this scenario in mind.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  18:52:13  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
-Hello again, Elaine. I, too just finished reading Radiant Dragon as well. The best novel in the series, by far, as far as I am concerned. I do have a few questions about it, though, if you don't mind.

-Firstly, Prince Asturian? Is he actually a son of Amlauril and Zaor? I don't think so, since I couldn't find any mentions of him in Evermeet: Island of the Elves, but I figured if anyone knows, it would be you.

-The next thing I am wondering is what does "Quex Etrielle" mean? Vallus Leafblower, when he first addresses Queen Amlauril says this. I am assuming this is a courtly way of saying, "Greetings, Queen", or something like that, since the word 'Etrielle' seems closely related to the word 'Etriel', which means a 'Noble Elven Woman'. Am I right in my thinking? Wrong? Almost?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 05 Feb 2007 18:53:48
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2007 :  23:04:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

HELP NEEDED:

If anyone has archived posts from the old WotC Novels forum, please drop me an email. I'm looking for several "Hamish" excerpts posted on that forum.

I apologise Elaine, for not seeing this post earlier.

I'll check through my archives and get back to you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  04:15:30  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Just a quick note about a non-FR book, Shadows in the Starlight, the second book in the Changeling Dectective series from Tor. The paperback reprint was released this week, and Gwen, the central character, was interviewed by Jezebel--former succubus and current talk show host--on Jackie Kessler's blog CAT AND MUSE. Here's a link to the interview:

http://www.jackiekessler.com/blog/

There's info about the book on my webpage, www.elainecunningham.com, as well as a sample chapter.

We now return you to Aber-Toril.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  05:08:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Hmmm... seems I missed one.

Thanks Elaine.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  05:10:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
BTW Elaine, I found a couple of those replies you asked for.

How do you want me to send them your way? Through PMs, emails, or just post them here?

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2007 :  12:34:53  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

BTW Elaine, I found a couple of those replies you asked for.

How do you want me to send them your way? Through PMs, emails, or just post them here?

Thank you, Sage! Would you email those to me? The address iselainecunningham@cox.net
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  22:04:45  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
Oooh, Elaine. I'm such a lackwit! Was your Creation of the Sahuagin story in Realms of Magic?

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  22:26:58  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

Was your Creation of the Sahuagin story in Realms of Magic?

Nope. It was originally published in Realms of the Arcane, and will be reprinted in the upcoming collection The Best of the Realms Book III: The Stories of Elaine Cunningham, which is scheduled for release in early May.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  22:34:14  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Was your Creation of the Sahuagin story in Realms of Magic?

Nope. It was originally published in Realms of the Arcane, and will be reprinted in the upcoming collection The Best of the Realms Book III: The Stories of Elaine Cunningham, which is scheduled for release in early May.

(sounds of repeated head banging)

*sigh*

Argh! I'm half a lackwit! Arcane - Magic. *sigh*

At least I'll know to look for it in a Best of .... Do you know if that will be available as a pre-order on Amazon.com?

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  22:48:30  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Do you know if that will be available as a pre-order on Amazon.com?

Yep, it sure is! Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786942886/ref=cm_arms_pdp_dp/002-1526903-7684067

If you scroll down that page to the "plog" comments, there's a recent post entitled "Nearly two decades in the Forgotten Realms" that gives a bit more info about the book.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  22:22:07  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
MERCY BUCKETS!

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  14:20:58  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Two things:

1) Still looking for Hamish excerpts, if anyone has archives from the WotC Novels forum.

2) I'm disposing of author copies, and tossing out books is killing me. If anyone would like a set of the five Songs & Swords books in French translation, drop me an email. They're yours for the price of postage, which will probably be about $5 to the continental US, maybe twice that for Canada. I also have a set in Spanish, trade paperback size. Same deal.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  14:31:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
1) Elaine, I did send you the excerpts I found through my archives. Did you not receive them?

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  14:40:01  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

1) Elaine, I did send you the excerpts I found through my archives. Did you not receive them?

No, I didn't. Did you send it to
elainecunningham@cox.net?

Sorry for the trouble--this might be my multi-layered spam filters at work again.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2007 :  14:55:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
That, or the fact that I've apparently used one of your older addresses I have on file. Hmmmm... curious.

I'll try again, with this address above, tomorrow morning.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  23:31:59  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
Elaine, in Evermeet: Island of the Elves, Nakiasha, Amlauril’s ‘Tutor’ says to her, “You and I both carry the special blessings of the Seldarine”. What exactly does she mean by this? The most obvious blessing that Amlauril carries is the fact that she is a Chosen/Proxy. Like Amlauril, Nakiasha also was said to have been very old, and was able to push aside the call to Arvandor for a very long time. Was Nakiasha, like Amlauril, a Chosen/Proxy of the Seldarine?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 16 Mar 2007 23:32:43
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page