Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2004 :  16:20:40  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

It seems unlikely to me that second edition characters--with the exception of "iconic characters" such as Elminster and Drizzt--will receive much attention in the future. The emphasis is on new characters, new situations.

The 3.5 project I mentioned was not intended for publication, but as website content. The time and enthusiams I once had for web-related projects has been, of necessity, shifted to other things.

What if a fellow scribe volunteers to be your ‘Chultan Worker Monkey’?
You have to provide the red fez hat though…

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2004 :  17:38:12  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
quote:

It seems unlikely to me that second edition characters--with the exception of "iconic characters" such as Elminster and Drizzt--will receive much attention in the future. The emphasis is on new characters, new situations.

Now that's a really odd thing to hear. I guess Wizards ONLY read the bashing on their forums and not the fact that some people want more Arilyn and Danilo.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2004 :  17:56:11  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:

Now that's a really odd thing to hear. I guess Wizards ONLY read the bashing on their forums and not the fact that some people want more Arilyn and Danilo.

In certain sense it is easier to build new characters as oposed to doing conversions. The shift from 2 to 3 was rather large and conversion guide does not handle it all that well (espcially dual or multiclass).

This does leave open the problem of new novels containing personalies from the older novels reappearing. I suspect if they reappear WotC will reconsider position or fans will offer unofficial translation for them. Only time will tell.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2004 :  19:52:37  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
Though a 3E Hero's Lorebook would take care of that, I guess we can only hope for a short story maybe in the future.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2004 :  20:05:46  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

Actually Bakra, last time I checked, the required apparel for a 'Chultan Worker Monkey'was a well-oiled skin and perhaps some strategically placed leaves... But I'm guessing Mrs Cunningham won't mind supplying those.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2004 :  20:41:33  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

Actually Bakra, last time I checked, the required apparel for a 'Chultan Worker Monkey'was a well-oiled skin and perhaps some strategically placed leaves... But I'm guessing Mrs Cunningham won't mind supplying those.

I must of missed the memo on that one. Unless that was the same one that mentioned the giant feather fan...

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  02:23:34  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Thanks for offer of assistance. Much appreciated! As for Chultan monkey dress code, the red fez is no longer considered business casual. Feel free to dress down.

I have no problem with fan conversions of 2nd ed. characters to 3.5 stats; in fact, I think the gamers at the WotC site did a great job with Liriel's stats. Where my website project broke down was not in the creation of stats, but the approval process. For a number of reasons, I don't think it's a good idea to post non-official information on my website, so I'd hoped to have the character sheets reviewed by WotC for approval. That way, readers/gamers would have a "canon" source available, and the folks at WotC would have the material on hand in case they planned to do something with it (such as inclusion in a game material, web content for the book pages of the WotC website--whatever.) But the VP who thought this was a good idea left the company. Subsequent inquiries fell into various black holes. Since I have a limited amount of writing time, and even less to devote to promotions, I can't afford to spend a lot of time on a project that's unlikely to go anywhere.

In short, I've given up on the creation of 3.5 character stats for my 2nd ed characters.

There's another consideration; namely, the viability of spending time on characters who are unlikely to appear in future novels or game products. The last time I spoke to a WotC editor about the possibility of revisiting old characters, he was quite emphatic about "not wanting to keep going to the same old well." It's always possible that things may change--after all, nearly seven years passed between books 2 and 3 of Liriel's story--but I'm not counting on it.

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  02:39:07  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
Nothing against Mr Salvatore, I love his books, but aren't all of the Drizzt books "going down the same old well"? Why not give other writers the chance to develope their characters as much?

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  03:20:59  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Nothing against Mr Salvatore, I love his books, but aren't all of the Drizzt books "going to the same old well"? Why not give other writers the chance to develop their characters as much?

Very simple reason: Bob Salvatore's books outsell every other Realms book by several times over. Few writers have a following big enough to warrant that sort of character longevity.
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  03:23:16  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Nothing against Mr Salvatore, I love his books, but aren't all of the Drizzt books "going to the same old well"? Why not give other writers the chance to develop their characters as much?

Very simple reason: Bob Salvatore's books outsell every other Realms book by several times over. Few writers have a following big enough to warrant that sort of character longevity.

I kinda figured as much. But I had to ask!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  04:26:16  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
quote:

Does that mean Dreamspheres didn't sell as well as your other Arilyn and Danilo novels (Evermeet excluded)?

I sometimes feel the kind of speculation, but to go "to the same old well" would only seem to be a BAD thing to me if the readers weren't enjoying or buying it.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  14:29:24  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

[quote]I sometimes feel the kind of speculation, but to go "to the same old well" would only seem to be a BAD thing to me if the readers weren't enjoying or buying it.

Well, there you have it. Tactfully put.

I'm not going to give sales numbers, but it's safe to say that sales of the Forgotten Realms books across the board have dropped over the last twelve years, with the exception of Bob Salvatore's books. Elfshadow's initial print run was significantly higher than those of Dreamspheres, the Counselors & Kings trilogy, or even Windwalker--which had the added cache of the drow to boost sales. I'm told that my books do well in comparison to most FR books, but since none of my characters have had the sort of break-out commercial success as Drizzt, there isn't the same payoff in supporting lengthy series.

There's also the time issue. The last Arilyn and Dan book was published in 1999. If WotC offered me a new book today, the earliest it could on the shelves would be 2006. That's a really big gap. Readers tend to move on.

One of the choices facing publishers is whether to go with an established midlist author or devote time and resources looking for the Next Big Thing. Right now, WotC seems to be putting a lot of effort into the NBT: numerous open calls, a new line of original fiction, the The War of the Spider Queen series. The latter, obviously, was an attempt to give newer authors a boost in sales and the wider exposure that comes with having Bob's name on the books. To keep the momentum going, most of the writers involved in WotSQ (Richard Baker, Richard Lee Byers, Lisa Smedman, Phil Athans, and Paul Kemp) were signed to a trilogy. Hopefully this strategy will help each of these writers establish a solid readership.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  17:18:51  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Well I just want to say,

I'll buy your books Elaine, no matter when they are written. :) I even hunted down Cloaked in Shadows since you have a tale in it as well as your first book in your new nonFR trilogy. If it's by you, or Ed, or a few other FR authors or even if its an FR book then I won't hesitate to buy.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 21 Dec 2004 17:21:08
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  17:45:10  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
Well I have tried on numerous occassions to order Cloaked in Shadows...without success. Amazon claimed to have it, so I ordered it, only to receive note 3 weeks later that it wasnt available....but I could buy it used for Ł45!! Hmmmmm

On the matter of FR novel sales..... this disturbs me greatly and it is something I was only discussing with a friend of mine a couple of days ago.... the quality of FR novels lately is amazing, IMO, however, there are less and less places selling the novels than there were, say, 6 or 7 years ago. I remember going into almost any newsagent chain or bookstore and finding a pretty good selection of FR novels.....lately, over the past few years, only my local hobby store stocks them. Theres no wonder the sales figures arent too great, Joe Public isnt going to go and browse for novels in a hobby store. I've said it before and i'll say it again, I urge all FR authors to get onto the WotC distribution department about this, and this could be the death of novels if Hasbro don't see sales improving. Worst case, I know, but its a shame the way things have become lately on this matter.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  17:49:02  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
quote:

quote:

[quote]I sometimes feel the kind of speculation, but to go "to the same old well" would only seem to be a BAD thing to me if the readers weren't enjoying or buying it.

Well, there you have it. Tactfully put.

I'm not going to give sales numbers, but it's safe to say that sales of the Forgotten Realms books across the board have dropped over the last twelve years, with the exception of Bob Salvatore's books. Elfshadow's initial print run was significantly higher than those of Dreamspheres, the Counselors & Kings trilogy, or even Windwalker--which had the added cache of the drow to boost sales. I'm told that my books do well in comparison to most FR books, but since none of my characters have had the sort of break-out commercial success as Drizzt, there isn't the same payoff in supporting lengthy series.

There's also the time issue. The last Arilyn and Dan book was published in 1999. If WotC offered me a new book today, the earliest it could on the shelves would be 2006. That's a really big gap. Readers tend to move on.

One of the choices facing publishers is whether to go with an established midlist author or devote time and resources looking for the Next Big Thing. Right now, WotC seems to be putting a lot of effort into the NBT: numerous open calls, a new line of original fiction, the The War of the Spider Queen series. The latter, obviously, was an attempt to give newer authors a boost in sales and the wider exposure that comes with having Bob's name on the books. To keep the momentum going, most of the writers involved in WotSQ (Richard Baker, Richard Lee Byers, Lisa Smedman, Phil Athans, and Paul Kemp) were signed to a trilogy. Hopefully this strategy will help each of these writers establish a solid readership.

Well I guess I understand where that's coming from, but new characters and new events not supported by the game products make as much sense to me as dropping the old characters that had supported at one point in the game products and that people are still interested in.

I guess the only hope is for an Elaithe novel featuring Arilyn and Danilo, more maybe sneaking them into more Realms of.. stories.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  20:47:02  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

On the matter of FR novel sales..... this disturbs me greatly and it is something I was only discussing with a friend of mine a couple of days ago.... the quality of FR novels lately is amazing, IMO, however, there are less and less places selling the novels than there were, say, 6 or 7 years ago. I remember going into almost any newsagent chain or bookstore and finding a pretty good selection of FR novels.....lately, over the past few years, only my local hobby store stocks them. Theres no wonder the sales figures arent too great, Joe Public isnt going to go and browse for novels in a hobby store. I've said it before and i'll say it again, I urge all FR authors to get onto the WotC distribution department about this, and this could be the death of novels if Hasbro don't see sales improving. Worst case, I know, but its a shame the way things have become lately on this matter.

For the record, it wouldn't do a bit of good for FR authors to lobby WotC regarding distribution. FR novels are not distributed by WotC. For many years the distributor was Random House. Last I checked, the US books were being distributed by Holtzbrinck Publishing. Writers are too many steps removed from the distribution process to have any voice in this matter. The only thing FR writers can influence is the story itself. Cover art, marketing plan, distribution, promotion budget, print runs, reprints--all this is the publisher's call.

You mentioned that FR novels were easier to find 6 or 7 years ago. That's about the time TSR stopped shipping product due to financial problems. It's my observation that FR novels lost a lot of ground in the nine-month hiatus between TSR and WotC. Once that shelf space went away, a lot of it STAYED away.

Another factor is competition. Back when I started writing FR novels, these books were a fairly large slice of the fantasy adventure pie. The proliferation of game systems, television series, and movies with tie-in novels have given readers more options. Star Wars, Star Trek (and spin-offs), Warhammer, White Wolf, BattleTech, Buffy, Angel--the list goes on and on. TSR/WotC books are numerous enough to provide internal competition. At various times, they've published Dragon Lance, Birthright, Dark Sun, Ravenloft, First Quest, Legend of the Five Rings, Magic the Gathering, TSR books, Eberon. I'm probably missing a few. In short, there are a lot of choices for today's fantasy reader.

It's too simplistic to say that declining FR sales are WotC's "fault." And believe me, authors aren't shrugging and saying "Oh, well..." when books sales decline. There are so many factors involved in whether a book sells well or doesn't. As an FR writer, I've tried to tell the best story I can, actively promote the stories, support other FR writers, and interact with the community of FR readers. There's not much more I can do.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  22:46:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Well I have tried on numerous occassions to order Cloaked in Shadows...without success. Amazon claimed to have it, so I ordered it, only to receive note 3 weeks later that it wasnt available....but I could buy it used for Ł45!! Hmmmmm

I ordered my copy from Amazon, granted it took them a month to send it. :)

And hmm I guess I don't see the store problem around here. Mediplay, Waldons, Borders, Barnes and Noble all carry WOTC novels.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  23:03:03  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
Thanks for the reply, Elaine.

Six or seven years ago, I said eh? Ok, so many time flies more than I thought You're right, it was prior to the TSR downfall around 1997, but certainly since then, I have encountered all kinds of problems locating WotC publications. Of course, i'm in the UK which is looked on completely different that US distribution, however, I won't harp on about it here as i've been on my soap box about it many times at Candlekeep before

I just feel so much for the authors, as as I have mentioned in my previous post, the FR novels over the past few years have been the best i've read since I started with the Realms 15 years or so back. The quality and effort is outstanding, and i'd just like to get more people reading these novels and appreciating the work you all do, and seeing the lack of FR novels in general bookstores etc. just frustrates me.

Here's hoping that yours and Ed's Waterdeep novel makes it to the top and really shouts up for the Realms

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  05:00:11  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
Well personally I'm glad that Waterdeep, another big project, went to you Elaine. An all encompasing novel for Waterdeep is long overdue and gives most of us great confidence that someone that's been here and back with the Realms worked on the project. And I'm sure Ed contributed a great deal to it, but he's got so much on his platter that I'd wager it probably wouldn't have gotten done soon without you.

So thankyou.

And if any decision makers at Wizards is reading this, MORE ARILYN and DANILO! There's too much story there left unwriten IMHO.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  13:45:14  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

An all encompasing novel for Waterdeep is long overdue...

FYI, City of Splendors: A Novel of Waterdeepis not cut from the same cloth as the Evermeet and Cormyr novels. It's simply a story set IN Waterdeep.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  18:41:03  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
quote:

quote:

An all encompasing novel for Waterdeep is long overdue...

FYI, City of Splendors: A Novel of Waterdeepis not cut from the same cloth as the Evermeet and Cormyr novels. It's simply a story set IN Waterdeep.

I know, but I'm sure it's just heapings full of Waterdeep goodness. Even if it's not Evermeet/Cormyr style, Waterdeep is big enough to have it's own adventures in. So I still look forward to it.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2004 :  19:13:05  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message
Hmph. I would like to be the first to make a complaint about Elaine Cunningham's writings and novels.

It's just too damn good! The books are well written that they become too popular! Lol. Arrgh... all the major bookstores here in Canada, Indigo and Chapters, don't have Elfsong or Dream Spheres because it's always sold out. I was hoping that my cousin would get them for me this Christmas but she just told me yesterday that they were all sold out even though I told her to reserve them like a month ago!

Ms. Cunningham, please think of the poor readers! Don't write so well next time or else I can't get a copy of your books! Lol.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2004 :  21:55:36  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
Amazon.com my friend. 30% off most books.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2004 :  22:05:58  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message
Heh. That's the weird thing about me. I don't like buying things online, coz I prefer to actually see and have the product in my hands. Books especially, because I like to flip through them at the bookstore.

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2004 :  21:43:49  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Heh. That's the weird thing about me. I don't like buying things online, coz I prefer to actually see and have the product in my hands. Books especially, because I like to flip through them at the bookstore.

That would almost make sense if it was something you weren't sure about buying, but if you're "sold" and you just need to find it, I don't see how there could be a difference.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2004 :  21:50:30  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message
Meh. It's a really weird habit of mine.

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2004 :  02:31:47  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:

Meh. It's a really weird habit of mine.

You can always try a used bookstore.

So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2004 :  10:13:10  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message
quote:

I was hoping that my cousin would get them for me this Christmas but she just told me yesterday that they were all sold out even though I told her to reserve them like a month ago!

What`s the different if your cousin buy it in the story or at amazon?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  18:07:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
The lastest edition of Elaine Cunningham's newsletter contained some information about her work for Realms of Elves. Below is the information for fans who don't subscribe to the newsletter:

quote:

Whatever happened to Prince Lamruil, Maura, and the Tree of Souls?

Forgotten Realms readers have been asking me this question since the publication of Evermeet, Island of the Elves in 1998. I'm very pleased to announce that an answer is finally on its way.

A proposal for a novella-length story for Realms of the Elves, the next Forgotten Realms anthology, received a go-ahead nod. "The Tree of Souls" is a story I've been waiting a long time to tell. The longer format (about 20,000 words) is a perfect length for this tale. The final revision is due July 2005, and the book is scheduled for release in early 2006.

For new readers, here's a quick summary:

After the invasion of Evermeet in DR 1371, Amlaruil, Queen of all Elves, entrusted her youngest son, Prince Lamruil, with one of the elves' greatest artifacts: the Tree of Souls. Once planted, it will create a gradually enlarging sphere protected by ancient High Magic, and thus establish a new elven kingdom, a new haven for the elven people. Prince Lamruil, along with his human bride Maura and a widely varied group of elven adventurers, set out to find a foothold in the most remote, unaccessible, and forbidding lands of northernmost Faerun.

For long-time readers, here's a note about continuity and change:

Nearly eight years have passed since Evermeet was written, and FR readers and gamers have seen many changes to the Realms and the d20 game mechanics. The elven people, drow and surface dwellers alike, have undergone considerable change. Although "Tree of Souls" will continue a tale begun under Second Edition rules and will be written with established lore firmly in mind, the story will be written in accordance with 3E rules and current attitudes toward FR elves. The People have survived for untold thousands of years, and weathered many changes. It's my opinion that their chroniclers should display a similar flexibility.

It's nice to see an author address these issues with readers. As for this reader, I don't care what rules the story is written under, at long last we find out what happened to Prince Lamruil, et al. Or is it King Lamruil by now?
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  19:06:44  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

Absolutely splendid! Thank ye greatly for bringing this snippet over to Candlekeep, SiriusBlack. Very valuable indeed

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly