Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2004 :  13:48:02  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Greetings, sages and scribes. Just stopping by to check the forum and catch up a bit.

First, some news on the FR front: the revised City of Splendors is off my desk and on Ed's. Considering the pace at which he works, it should soon be in Peter Archer's hands. Last I heard, the August release date still stood. My next FR project will be "Tree of Souls," a novella (15,000-20,000 words) for Realms of the Elves, the next FR anthology. Those who've read Evermeet will have no problem divining the subject of this tale, which is set in DR 1371-1372.

Yes, my blog has changed. The link given above, www.elvenbard.blogspot.com is correct. The blog name refers to my current project: I'm writing a novel set in the EverQuest world, with an elven bard as the central character.

quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

I have two questions, both concerning Kymil Nimesin. The first one is what is happening with this traitorious sun elf? Last I read about him was in Evermeet, when he teleported away from Lamuril's attack. Is it safe to assume that Lolth has him now as Kymil used a gem that the Spider Queen gave him to escape?

Second, does Kymil Nimesin have any connection with the elf supremacist group, the Eldreth Veluuthra? The reason I ask is that, both have the same "old elven standards" mentality that dates back to Myth Drannor. Also, Kymil has made alliances and deals with many evil organizations already, such as the Red Wizards and Zhentarim, so I was wondering if he had done the same with this small, but important, group?

No, Kymil is not associated with the Eldreth Veluuthra. His current whereabouts is unknown to Realms sages, but you can safely assume that wherever he is, he's not having much fun.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 16 Dec 2004 13:58:20
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2004 :  14:38:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
First, some news on the FR front: the revised City of Splendors is off my desk and on Ed's. Considering the pace at which he works, it should soon be in Peter Archer's hands. Last I heard, the August release date still stood. My next FR project will be "Tree of Souls," a novella (15,000-20,000 words) for Realms of the Elves, the next FR anthology. Those who've read Evermeet will have no problem divining the subject of this tale, which is set in DR 1371-1372.

A double dose of wonderful news. Thank you for sharing this information.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2004 :  20:56:45  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Here that? I believe that's the sound of the elven fans of Candlekeep scrambling to see if Amazon has the book up for preorder . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2004 :  23:22:56  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:

<snip> "Tree of Souls," <snip>

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2004 :  23:58:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:

<snip> "Tree of Souls," <snip>

PDK, you post leaves me wondering... Are you looking forward to reading that novella?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

mauricio
Acolyte

Brazil
15 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  00:35:08  Show Profile  Visit mauricio's Homepage Send mauricio a Private Message
quote:
(...) My next FR project will be "Tree of Souls," a novella (15,000-20,000 words) for Realms of the Elves, the next FR anthology. Those who've read Evermeet will have no problem divining the subject of this tale, which is set in DR 1371-1372. (...)

That's wonderful news, Mrs. Cunningham.
I've just recently been introduced to your work [FR novels are amazingly hard to find in Brazil, and equally expensive] and the one book I could read was Evermeet... so I'm already looking forward to this novella.

Allow me to pass on my congratulations, too. It was a really fantastic reading, much more than I expected, actually [and that was a remarkable feat, seeing how well the scribes here talk about your work]. As soon as I can I'll be reading some more... My pocket is already complaining about it, but "Elfshadow" is definitely my next buy.

"We can learn from the past, but those days are gone. We can hope for the future, but there might not be one."
- Dream Theater, "A Change of Seasons".
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  04:21:52  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Trust me, it won't disapoint.

"More Danilo-tine, please!"

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  04:38:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Trust me, it won't disapoint.

Which brings up a good point. Will this Tree of Souls tale include a familiar moonfighter and her sharp-witted and well-dressed companion, or will we meet a new cast of characters?

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  05:44:59  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message
quote:

No, Kymil is not associated with the Eldreth Veluuthra. His current whereabouts is unknown to Realms sages, but you can safely assume that wherever he is, he's not having much fun.

Ha! Serves that elf right for betraying his own people and allying himself with Lolth. I hope the Spider Queen has him pinned up on her strands of webs and dissecting him right now... Lol.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  10:44:53  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

This is absolutely wonderful news! Realms of the Elves AND more long-awaited information on the Tree of Souls! I'm VERY much looking forward to this. The next year certainly appears very exciting for the Realms.

...and i'm sure this news will be very much appreciated by our elven fans herein. I know for sure that Lord Rad has harped on about the Tree of Souls (or Tree of Life as he tends to call it ), as well as our resident elven lore expert, Arion Elenim.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  12:11:04  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message
quote:

My next FR project will be "Tree of Souls," a novella (15,000-20,000 words) for Realms of the Elves, the next FR anthology. Those who've read Evermeet will have no problem divining the subject of this tale, which is set in DR 1371-1372.

Is there already a release termin for Realms of the Elves?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  13:00:52  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
WOW!

This is all too much to take! Realms of Elves sounds great, i'd never have expected such an anthology, i'll be sure to read this one right through straight away Has this been inspired due to Richard Bakers Last Mythal Trilogy?

I can imagine you're quite excited to pick up with the Tree of Souls after what you wrote in Evermeet: Island of Elves. I assume that the short story will pick up from that point?

Very, very excited about City of Splendors too

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  15:46:28  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Now Elaine, you must tell us if someone somewhere is planning Realm of the Dwarves...

That would end 2004 quite nicely!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  16:12:42  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

I had a mental image of trying to explain this reference to Danilo--no easy matter, as hot, malt-chocolate beverages are not common in Waterdeep.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  16:31:03  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Will this Tree of Souls tale include a familiar moonfighter and her sharp-witted and well-dressed companion, or will we meet a new cast of characters?

Lamruil, Maura, new characters--plus a few you've met in EVERMEET.

quote:
Origianlly posted by Lord RadHas this been inspired due to Richard Bakers Last Mythal Trilogy?

WotC has tied several of the anthologies to that year's RSE; i.e., Realms of Shadow, Realms of the Deep, and Realms of Dragons . I assume that is what's going on here.

quote:
I can imagine you're quite excited to pick up with the Tree of Souls after what you wrote in Evermeet: Island of Elves. I assume that the short story will pick up from that point?

That's correct.

The RofE release date is not yet set in stone, but I hear it'll be in the first quarter of 2006. I haven't heard anything about a "Realms of the Dwarves," but I agree that this would be an interesting addition!
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  16:31:39  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message
Indeed, Alaundo!

I have been waiting for this news for YEARS! Oh, Miss Cunningham, you've made this lil elven bard a happy creature indeed! This work has been long overdue, and I am soooo glad to hear that Evermeet will not be the last word of the elven nation.

As you know, Ms. C, I cannot help but praise Evermeet and the rest of your works to no end. Thank you very much for gracing us with this wonderful news...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm

Edited by - Arion Elenim on 17 Dec 2004 16:34:08
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  16:36:46  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Very kind of you, Arion Elenim.

FYI, I'm currently writing a novel set in the EverQuest world with an elven bard as central character. It would not be proper to discuss it overmuch in these halls, but I hope to have some info up on my webpage soon. I expect "The Blood-Red Harp" (working title) to be the most fun I've had since Elfsong!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  16:41:33  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by mauricio

[quote]Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
(...) I've just recently been introduced to your work [FR novels are amazingly hard to find in Brazil, and equally expensive]...

Well met, Mauricio, and thanks for the kind words. Sorry to hear that the FR books are difficult to acquire in Brazil. Out of curiosity, are the books available in Brazil the original English, or are they in Portuguese translation?
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  21:15:13  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
Is the Realms of the Elves tied to The Last Mythal, or some new trilogy ala Year of the Rogue Dragons. May be Year of the Risen Elfkin? Typically they do the Realms of books in conjunction with the world-changing events planned every two years or so.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  23:40:30  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Is the Realms of the Elves tied to The Last Mythal, or some new trilogy ala Year of the Rogue Dragons. May be Year of the Risen Elfkin? Typically they do the Realms of books in conjunction with the world-changing events planned every two years or so.

My story isn't linked to any trilogy, currently running or future. The guidelines asked for stories about elves, period. Other than that, I don't have a lot of information about WotC's plans for this anthology. As far as I know, the last of the Richard Baker books will be released in 2006, so it's probably safe to assume that there will be some cross-marketing.
Go to Top of Page

mauricio
Acolyte

Brazil
15 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2004 :  23:50:28  Show Profile  Visit mauricio's Homepage Send mauricio a Private Message
Well met, and nothing to thank me for... it was really a very nice read and it's easy to imagine why I'm interested in reading more about Danilo.

The books available here are all the original English, and much more often than not in mass market paperback edition. They cost about 30 reais [~12 U.S. Dollars], while the rare hardcover editions reach as high as 90 reais [~36 U.S. Dollars]. A regular hardcover book in Brazil costs around 30 reais, just so you can have an idea.

All we have in Portuguese from WotC is the Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy. I've heard there's a translation of Salvatore's The Crystal Shard coming soon, but if that's true than it'll be the first FR novel ever translated to Brazilian Portuguese, as far as I know.
Still, most of our translations are plain bad, judging from what I've seen in the D&D sourcebooks and the Dragonlance novels, which means most people interested go straight for the originals.

Hope to read more from you soon.

[edit: damn typos]

"We can learn from the past, but those days are gone. We can hope for the future, but there might not be one."
- Dream Theater, "A Change of Seasons".

Edited by - mauricio on 18 Dec 2004 10:11:35
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2004 :  01:00:47  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mauricio

The books available here are all the original English versions, and much more often than not in mass market paperback edition. They cost about 30 reais [~12 U.S. Dollars], while the rares hardcover editions reach as high as 90 reais [~36 U.S. Dollars]. A regular hardcover book in Brazil costs around 30 reais, just so you can have an idea.

That appears rather extreme pricing, though I suspect part is justified by a limited run. Sorry to hear you are having so much problem (and cost) of getting FR material.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2004 :  18:01:56  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message
Greetings, Elaine.

I just completed the Gorlist's Dragon and I liked it very much. I haven't read in quite a while such a wicked story about Drow duplicity. Excellent work. I'm looking forward to your next story.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2004 :  05:30:41  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
Well met and greets Lady Cunningham.

I was curious if anyone at Wizards ever provided you with some kind of official stats for Arilyn and Danilo, I still scathe every time I see a certain picture in the FRCS.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2004 :  07:29:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Well met and greets Lady Cunningham.

I was curious if anyone at Wizards ever provided you with some kind of official stats for Arilyn and Danilo, I still scathe every time I see a certain picture in the FRCS.

They were both statted out in Code of the Harpers. I think Danilo was statted out again in City of Splendors.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2004 :  08:32:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
They were both statted out in Code of the Harpers. I think Danilo was statted out again in City of Splendors.

Aye, and also hmmm Heroes Lorebook might have them both as well but I think Urza might want 3/3.5 stats. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2004 :  14:15:21  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Yes, Arilyn and Dan were both in the 2nd edition Heroes Lorebook. To my knowledge, there has been no official 3.5 conversion. I was working on adaptions of my characters with the goal of having them approved by WotC and posted on my website as a reference for readers and gamers who are interested in the stats of novel characters. For a while that looked promising, but the project hit a couple of brick walls. I don't plan to try again.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2004 :  14:19:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

Aye, and also hmmm Heroes Lorebook might have them both as well but I think Urza might want 3/3.5 stats. :)

Oh, picky picky picky!

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2004 :  15:39:02  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
quote:

For a while that looked promising, but the project hit a couple of brick walls. I don't plan to try again.

That's just... sucks.

I'm still curious as to why they still haven't done a Hero's 3E book to the Lords of Darkness.

Oh well, who am I to tell them how to get my money.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2004 :  13:53:09  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
It seems unlikely to me that second edition characters--with the exception of "iconic characters" such as Elminster and Drizzt--will receive much attention in the future. The emphasis is on new characters, new situations.

The 3.5 project I mentioned was not intended for publication, but as website content. The time and enthusiams I once had for web-related projects has been, of necessity, shifted to other things.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000