Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  21:32:18  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Thank you Sirius! these are great news!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  22:11:09  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
I do wonder if good Drow are permitted though the transition. Last I heard the Drow are still banned from evermeent, though did hear whispers (rumors) that a few followers of the Dark Maiden had been allowed to travel with Lamruil to plant the Tree.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  22:52:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Ah, thank you for sharing that info, SB. I am looking forward to that book.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  02:04:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Thank you Sirius! these are great news!

You're welcome

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

though did hear whispers (rumors) that a few followers of the Dark Maiden had been allowed to travel with Lamruil to plant the Tree

What was the source for these "whispers (rumors)?
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  02:40:41  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
Maybe they're using this as a test case? See how they work out with Lamruil's group and then re-evaluate allowing them on Evermeet?

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  05:29:18  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
"Tree of Souls" explores a number of themes and issues, none of which involve the question of "good-aligned" drow on Evermeet. While I understand this might be of interest to many readers, this particular story doesn't seem the right place to address it. Right after a devastating attack on Evermeet--an attack in which drow played a significant part--the elves would be unlikely to place this question high on their priority list. Nor would the followers of Eilistraee, assuming they had reasonably good political instincts, chose this particular moment to press their case for inclusion. Keep in mind that the elves of Evermeet, unlike most of us, have not read a dozen books about Drizzt Do'Urden. Elves are not inclined toward political correctness. Their history, theology, culture, and recent experiences give them no reason to reach out to the drow.

On a brighter note, I recently commissioned a portrait of Prince Lamruil from Kay Allen for use on my website and other promotions. He'll be holding the Tree of Souls, gazing at a forbidding icy landscape. Can't wait to see what Kay does with the character!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  05:36:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
Keep in mind that the elves of Evermeet, unlike most of us, have not read a dozen books about Drizzt Do'Urden.

Why do I suddenly have this image of an elf who has visited the North and heard tales of a good drow ranger being looked upon as a loon by some Evermeet relatives he's trying to convince?

quote:

On a brighter note, I recently commissioned a portrait of Prince Lamruil from Kay Allen for use on my website and other promotions. He'll be holding the Tree of Souls, gazing at a forbidding icy landscape. Can't wait to see what Kay does with the character!

Wow! This portrait should be fantastic considering the artist. She did wonderful work with the Gorlist portrait.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  06:26:14  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

I was already a fan of Kay Allen's work. But, I became an even bigger one after reading the following information from Elaine Cunningham's blog regarding this commission.

quote:

I also commissioned a new portrait from Kay for promotional use: Prince Lamruil, holding the Tree of Souls, gazing up at forbidding, ice-covered mountains. Kay's work keeps getting better and better, and she takes pride in capturing the character depicted in the story. She's actually rereading Evermeet for this little project. Very refreshing. She's a lovely person, too--an incredibly cheerful, positive, and hard-working gal. I'm looking forward to meeting her at the fantasy con down in Greenboro, NC in March.

Considering the number of book covers I've seen that clearly showed an artist not reading any description of the characters being drawn, this news was refreshing to hear. Plus, since it's a reread, Kay Allen was obviously already a fan.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  13:19:54  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:

Keep in mind that the elves of Evermeet, unlike most of us, have not read a dozen books about Drizzt Do'Urden. Elves are not inclined toward political correctness. Their history, theology, culture, and recent experiences give them no reason to reach out to the drow.

Perhaps some scrolls could be sent to Evermeet?
I do believe there would be some hope of earning a "Rightful place", a dream perhaps more then trying to claim a right of inclusion.

I thank you for your reply. I do know some fans certainly do hope at some point in time that the elves of good nature will be fully accepted, though it might take 10,000 years.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  14:43:54  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
That would depend upon the elven view of drow and the nature of evil. Richard Baker has stated his intention to "rehabilitate" the elves, so I'm not sure what the current elven zeitgeist is concerning heredity vs. environment. In other words, do 3E elves consider drow to be evil by nature or training?

If the elves believe drow to be inherently evil (with a few notable exceptions such as Drizzt and the occasional priestess of Eilistraee), they are unlikely to open Evermeet to their dark kin. By that reasoning, there's no telling when a child of drow parents might revert to type.

If the elves were inclined to explore this matter, it seems likely to me that they would create some sort of magical artifact to test "good drow" and their offspring over a period of time, to see if a line is breeding true--and to provide a safeguard against the possibility of a sport (genetic throw-back). If they would employ so brutal a device as the moonblades against their own to establish a worthy royal line, what test might they apply to drow applicants to Evermeet? Such a process might well take 10,000 years, when you consider that only four or five generations in a thousand years.

But in the meanwhile, wouldn't it make a great central idea for a series of graphic novels? Out of everything I've written for the Realms, the notion of the moonblades has been the single thing that most captured the attention of readers and gamers. That general idea, applied to drow striving for acceptance in the world of light? Lots of story potential there. And imagine the efforts typical drow might make to subvert that particular magic in order to infiltrate elven strongholds. Manchurian candidate, anyone?

So many stories, so little time... and even fewer publishing slots.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  15:35:47  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:

That would depend upon the elven view of drow and the nature of evil. Richard Baker has stated his intention to "rehabilitate" the elves, so I'm not sure what the current elven zeitgeist is concerning heredity vs. environment. In other words, do 3E elves consider drow to be evil by nature or training?

Hmm looking for answers of nature vs. nurture it appears that alignment is not inherited by the Drow. The alignment entry indicates "Usually neutral evil" however does not prevent any other alignment. The culture aceptence though of something like a good Drow offers a problem.

From _Faiths and Pantheons_ there is this.

"Few among the surface-dwelling races give any credence to rumors of good-aligned drow emerging from the Underdark. The possibility of a deity who supports such folk is simply beyond the ken of nonelves, who generally dismiss such talk as idle rumor or a plot by evil drow raiders. Most elves willfully ignore such talk, uncomfortable for what it might mean to the central tenets of their culture: Dogma teaches that the Crown Wars were primarily caused by the unbridled evil of the ancestral drow. "

There is a long way to go, perhaps 4th Edtion?

quote:

But in the meanwhile, wouldn't it make a great central idea for a series of graphic novels? Out of everything I've written for the Realms, the notion of the moonblades has been the single thing that most captured the attention of readers and gamers. That general idea, applied to drow striving for acceptance in the world of light? Lots of story potential there. And imagine the efforts typical drow might make to subvert that particular magic in order to infiltrate elven strongholds. Manchurian candidate, anyone?

So many stories, so little time... and even fewer publishing slots.

I do know that three are some fans that would like to see a reunion and healing of the breech, not sure there are enough though to get one of those book slots. At some point in time perhaps the next great war will be between the Drow Good vs. Evil.

What appears to be indicated is that breeding rates are the same of both good and evil and the good do not encourage the killing of each other as the evil does. Of course Lolth seeks actively to distroy all good Drow so that can keep the number of surviving good Drow low.

Hard to say when, though in time I can certainly picture there being more good then evil Drow. In some ways the war has already had some of its first battles, though there are not enough numbers for full scale war.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  17:19:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Considering the number of book covers I've seen that clearly showed an artist not reading any description of the characters being drawn, this news was refreshing to hear. Plus, since it's a reread, Kay Allen was obviously already a fan.

That is good... The fact that so many artists never bother to read about the characters they paint is a large part of why I no longer pay attention to the artwork on or in a book.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  23:31:05  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
From _Faiths and Pantheons_ there is this.

"Few among the surface-dwelling races give any credence to rumors of good-aligned drow emerging from the Underdark. The possibility of a deity who supports such folk is simply beyond the ken of nonelves, who generally dismiss such talk as idle rumor or a plot by evil drow raiders. Most elves willfully ignore such talk, uncomfortable for what it might mean to the central tenets of their culture: Dogma teaches that the Crown Wars were primarily caused by the unbridled evil of the ancestral drow. "

This is an important point, one readers frequently forget. Just because elves tend to be a "good race," it doesn't follow that "good" means "politically correct." FR elves do not have the mindset that prompts them to expect the best of every sentient being until the have reason to believe otherwise.

quote:
I do know that three are some fans that would like to see a reunion and healing of the breech, not sure there are enough though to get one of those book slots.

I agree completely. In addition to this argument is the issue of balance within the FR book line. In the past two to three years, there have been over a dozen books with drow characters. It's probably time to shift the focus.

As for the notion of good vs. evil drow, it's an interesting concept, but I'd just as soon see time and publishing resources devoted to other races for a while.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  01:23:25  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:

That would depend upon the elven view of drow and the nature of evil. Richard Baker has stated his intention to "rehabilitate" the elves, so I'm not sure what the current elven zeitgeist is concerning heredity vs. environment.
I believe he was referring to the "Lawful Evil" sun elf stereotypes we've seen along the years (stereotypes prevalent in the Durothil/Starym lines...) The hero of his Forsaken House book is a sun elf, and I believe he stated somewhere that he wishes to reinstate the sun elves as a good race in terms of FR literature (you can be aloof, bookish, elitist yet good... the three former adjectives do not exclude the latter) I could be wrong of course, as you may be referring to another discussion.

quote:

Keep in mind that the elves of Evermeet, unlike most of us, have not read a dozen books about Drizzt Do'Urden. Elves are not inclined toward political correctness. Their history, theology, culture, and recent experiences give them no reason to reach out to the drow.
Amen to that! some people seem to forget that drow priestesses sleep with demons when they get drunk...
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  02:53:42  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:

That would depend upon the elven view of drow and the nature of evil. Richard Baker has stated his intention to "rehabilitate" the elves, so I'm not sure what the current elven zeitgeist is concerning heredity vs. environment.
I believe he was referring to the "Lawful Evil" sun elf stereotypes we've seen along the years (stereotypes prevalent in the Durothil/Starym lines...) The hero of his Forsaken House book is a sun elf, and I believe he stated somewhere that he wishes to reinstate the sun elves as a good race in terms of FR literature (you can be aloof, bookish, elitist yet good... the three former adjectives do not exclude the latter) I could be wrong of course, as you may be referring to another discussion.

Yes, that's precisely the discussion to which I was referring. When I mentioned the current elven zeitgeist in the above-quoted passage, I was speaking "in game" regarding 3E elven attitudes toward drow. But I agree my meaning was not sufficiently clear.

To elaborate on Purple Dragon's point, I find the notion of "Lawful Evil sun elf stereotypes" to be selective and far from accurate. It ignores the many good-aligned sun elf heroes and secondary characters in the novels--including some who were aloof, bookish and elitist. It ignores moon elf villains such as Elaith Craulnober, forest elf villains such as Kiva, and the various half-elf secondary characters who were minor villains. It also disregards narrative point of view. (EVERMEET focused on a moon elf family, and was structured as a collection of tales gathered by a human for his half-elf love.) I could name several dozen good-aligned Sun Elf characters that have appeared in the Forgotten Realms novels, and I strongly disagree that the novels promoted a negative sterotype of sun elves. A few selected examples from ANY race could support just about any conclusion about that race.

It's a common practice to differentiate from, if not quite repudiate, that which came before. I was rather taken aback to see this tactic used in a shared world with a strong back list. As marketing strategy, it seems as short-sighted as advertising the War of the Spider Queen series as a way to "get drow back to how they REALLY should be!"

I'm looking forward to "The Tree of Souls" to tie up some story threads from EVERMEET, revisit some characters, and explore some elven themes. I still have a few things to say about elves in the Realms before I move on to other things.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 29 Dec 2004 02:57:28
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  03:06:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
I asked this of Ed as well but since most consider Elaine the elf lady of FR I'm asking her as well. :)

Do elves in the Realms have body hair? Or am I misremembering a passage from somewhere that says they only have scalp hair, eyebrows, and eyelashes.....

Edit: I found the source. The 3e and 3.5e PHB's.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 29 Dec 2004 04:32:43
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  03:52:15  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
quote:

I'm looking forward to "The Tree of Souls" to tie up some story threads from EVERMEET, revisit some characters, and explore some elven themes. I still have a few things to say about elves in the Realms before I move on to other things.

Oye, don't go there. I'm hoping to see more develop between Arilyn and Amlaruil, but doesn't seem like it'll happen. :/

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  16:06:23  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

I asked this of Ed as well but since most consider Elaine the elf lady of FR I'm asking her as well. :)

Do elves in the Realms have body hair? Or am I misremembering a passage from somewhere that says they only have scalp hair, eyebrows, and eyelashes.....

Edit: I found the source. The 3e and 3.5e PHB's.

Since you have answered your own question, the matter is settled, but it does bring up an issue I should probably articulate, since this is a designated questions thread.

I'd prefer not to answer questions about FR elves, other than those focusing on my own characters. My books were written under second edition rules, and elves were changed substantially in third edition.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 11 Jan 2005 14:22:39
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  16:34:13  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Noooooo! The Elven Lady not answering questions about elves?

Actually, I'd thought that it seemed a bit odd to ask general "elf" questions in here, but considering that you hadn't spoken up until now, I figured that this was just following the trend of "Ask Author" threads on Candlekeep. Namely (with Ask Ed Greenwood paving the way), that the normal stay-on-topic rules didn't quite apply.

That said, I'm curious as to what you would like us to stick to. For instance, just characters and events that you wrote yourself (for instance, no questions on Khelban, which are better directed at Mr. Schend anyway, if not Mr. Greenwood himself), or are peripheral subjects okay (the exact relations between Khelban and Danilo’s extended family)?

Those are just examples off the top of my head. Considering that either you or others have answered all my questions so far on your books, I can’t think of anything better to use . . .

After all, pumping you for information on upcoming novels probably isn't much good.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  18:38:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Sorry Elaine,

I didn't mean to put you on the spot. :( I consider you one of the more knowledgeable persons about FR's elves as I said above. But I didn't mean to cause you grief. :(

And I wouldn't normally ask you something about something I figured you'd have no knowledge about. :) But since you have focused on elves, and again most consider you as the one who helped flush out elves, I thought it was okay to ask.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 29 Dec 2004 18:41:02
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  19:37:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
No worries, Kuje. Your question was entirely reasonable, given the focus of most of my FR stories.

Bookwyrm, I have very few restrictions on what kind of question I'll answer. I'm not going to comment on elf lore, for reasons already stated. As you pointed out, I can only say so much about upcoming projects. The only other restriction involves the creation of new, unofficial lore.

A while ago, one poster asked a number of questions that required speculation--in essence, the creation of new Realmslore--and I declined to answer because I'm not in a position to respond to such questions. Ed Greenwood's non-published lore is canon until WotC says otherwise, but it's my opinion that other authors who engage in "what if" dialogue are stepping over the line. Working in a shared world involves respecting WotC as the holder of copyright, and to me that means no dissemination of unoffical, unapproved lore. IMO, all published authors except Ed have less freedom in this matter than do readers and gamers. My status as a contributor to the "official lore" conveys a sense of authenticity which could be misleading to some readers. So if it ain't published, I don't talk about it.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  21:57:49  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
There has been a question that has bothered me some, there can be a few answers or perhaps just the decsion not made yet.

Liriel Baenre has three Cleric levels and can not advance serving Lolth (which I consider a good thing *wink* ), but has not atoned to select another deity. I would think that the Atonement spell with looking at the "Restore Cleric or Druid Spell Powers" together with "Redemption" should allow Ms. Baenre to have the Clerical abilities restored, just that the powers come from the Dark Maiden. Granted the spell description does not clearly combine the two, however I do wonder if any looked at this option?

Granted Atonement per spell description the DM can require a quest or task which might have been a determent, further Ms. Baenre might not be all that concerned about restoring Clerical abilities.

I have redeemed 8 Clerics of Lolth with "Redemption" 7 of which choose to take up service with Eilistrae though roleplay. So the idea makes sense to me, though the rules do not tend to cover any level effects of serving a new deity. I did not impose a level lose though did require training. Perhaps the committee on conversion could be consulted for their opinions on this. Of course Ms. Baenre should be consulted about this as well.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  05:47:18  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Possible spoilers for WINDWALKER.

The 3E conversion done by a committee of readers and gamers on the now-defunct WotC FR Novels thread addressed Liriel's life experience through the end of Tangled Webs. At the end of that novel, she repudiated the religion of her foremothers, but, as the next novel demonstrated, she had not yet won free of Lolth. The clerical levels were appropriate in stats done at that point. By the end of Windwalker, however, she'd completed the break from Lolth. Keep in mind that Liriel never set out to be a priestess. She was forced into Arach Tinilith. If left to her own devices, she would have focused on wizardry. Now that Lolth has finally left her alone, she will be able to find and follow her own path, and given her training and talents, I assume she'll focus on the study and practice of magic.

It's possible that Liriel will decide to follow Eilistraee, but doesn't mean she has to do so as a cleric. Not every Catholic is a priest, not every Jew is a rabbi, and not every Pagan is a Witch. Same goes in the Realms. The gods are there for lay people as well as clergy.

Bottom line: if I were assigning stats to Liriel, as she was at the end of Windwalker, I would drop the clerical levels altogether.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  06:52:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

Possible spoilers for WINDWALKER.

It's possible that Liriel will decide to follow Eilistraee

That should make for some interesting tension given the end of the last novel.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  08:33:12  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:

It's possible that Liriel will decide to follow Eilistraee, but doesn't mean she has to do so as a cleric. Not every Catholic is a priest, not every Jew is a rabbi, and not every Pagan is a Witch. Same goes in the Realms. The gods are there for lay people as well as clergy.

Bottom line: if I were assigning stats to Liriel, as she was at the end of Windwalker, I would drop the clerical levels altogether.

*nods*

I understand and thank yot for reply. I know of many that follow without being a Cleric, the Dark Maiden.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  02:27:46  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Hi, folks. Just a quick note to let you know that my author website was finally updated. The last previous update was December 2003 (don't ask...) so it was long overdue!

There are new pages for the following books:
  • Shadows in the Darkness
  • Cloaked in Shadows
  • Realms of the Dragons

There's a two-chapter excerpt for Shadows in the Darkness, some updated info and links, new graphics. Not a major overhaul, but at least the books on the home page are current!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  05:18:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

Hi, folks. Just a quick note to let you know that my author website was finally updated. The last previous update was December 2003 (don't ask...) so it was long overdue!

There are new pages for the following books:
  • Shadows in the Darkness
  • Cloaked in Shadows
  • Realms of the Dragons

There's a two-chapter excerpt for Shadows in the Darkness, some updated info and links, new graphics. Not a major overhaul, but at least the books on the home page are current!

And for anyone just coming into the thread, here is a link to the site.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2005 :  13:05:25  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Thanks for supplying a link to my website, Sirius! That was a rather vital bit of info, and I missed it entirely. If you ever consider going into business as a proof reader, you have my email address.

ec

www.elainecunningham.com
Go to Top of Page

LaughingWizard
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  00:48:15  Show Profile  Visit LaughingWizard's Homepage Send LaughingWizard a Private Message
Hello Ms. Cunningham,
This isn't strictly a question, just a quick note: I loved the Elfshadow Books. Thanks, they were a great read. I've been away from the genre for a while, so I'm not exactly up to date on current releases, but I'll check out the website. I'm looking forward to your upcoming works. (Too bad about your coworkers criticizing you though. Chin Up! I sure won't!)

A woman, or a man, may come to hold many treasures in life. Gold, gems, a good name, lovers, good friends, influence, high rank--all of these are of value. All of these most covet. But of them all the most valuable, I tell ye, are friends good and true. Have these, and ye will scarce notice the lack if ye never win aught else."

The adventuress Sharanralee, Ballads and Lore of One Dusty Road, Year of the Wandering Maiden
From Spellfire by Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  14:18:47  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
No worries, LaughingWizard--working writers know that reader commentary and criticism comes with the territory.

On the other hand, writers (particularly shared-world writers) who promote their work by criticising the work of other writers piss me off. Especially those who change the rules, then criticize previous books for not following the new rules. I've always considered shared-world writing a team sport, and I get more irritated than I should whenever I encounter behavior that contradicts this mindset.

But I'm endeavoring to follow my older sister's sage advice, given in a wide variety of situations: Lighten up, have a drink, get over it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000