Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  16:59:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
Candlekeep is a relatively small forum, and I feel more comfortable within these "walls" than I do on the web at large. (Yes, I do realize this is an illusion....)

You are not alone in feeling this comfort towards Candlekeep. I never posted this much or contacted so many other users privately when interacting on other message boards.

SiriusBlack (who thinks he needs to copyright his "deluded" comment since more than one scribe wishes to quote it)

SB is right. Candlekeep is a lot more comfortable than certain other forums I could mention.

This is not the only forum I frequent based on one of my interests. I have noted elsewhere that the smaller forums are often friendlier and more comfortable than the larger, official, company-sponsored ones.

And SB, I think the comment is already too wide-spread for you to copyright it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  11:11:31  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
There's another supposedly small, comfortable forum that I've taken a recent dislike to. It's the one quoted in my profile. I found several people irritating, especially in the threads that didn't deal with the primary board topic. Specifically, politics. Which makes me hesitate on the idea of a non-Candlekeep section for this forum, which I never did before . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Erin Tettensor
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  15:01:30  Show Profile  Visit Erin Tettensor's Homepage Send Erin Tettensor a Private Message
Elaine, I have a quick question for you. When you submitted your writing sample for the open call you won, did you use the opener of your book as the sample, or some later scene in the story?

Just curious.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  16:17:06  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Zyx

Elaine, I have a quick question for you. When you submitted your writing sample for the open call you won, did you use the opener of your book as the sample, or some later scene in the story?

It was a later scene--the battle against the lizard men in the Marsh of Chelimber. For FR books, you need to show you can create interesting characters, vivid narrative, and battle scenes. This ten-page chunk had both action and dialogue. It put the personalities of Arilyn and Danilo in sharp opposition, introduced Arilyn's moonblade, and hinted that there was more to Dan than he let on. I tried to find a scene that would cover as many bases as possible.
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  17:55:00  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage
quote:

It was a later scene--the battle against the lizard men in the Marsh of Chelimber. For FR books, you need to show you can create interesting characters, vivid narrative, and battle scenes. This ten-page chunk had both action and dialogue. It put the personalities of Arilyn and Danilo in sharp opposition, introduced Arilyn's moonblade, and hinted that there was more to Dan than he let on. I tried to find a scene that would cover as many bases as possible.

Not to put myself at odds with Mrs. Cunningham, but I did not have a battle scene in my MoP excerpt. No blades drawn, no spells cast, no blood spilt (well, at least not in the "wounding" sense).

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  19:16:09  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Kameron M. Franklin
I did not have a battle scene in my MoP excerpt. No blades drawn, no spells cast, no blood spilt (well, at least not in the "wounding" sense).

Whatever works!

Go to Top of Page

Erin Tettensor
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2004 :  20:19:36  Show Profile  Visit Erin Tettensor's Homepage Send Erin Tettensor a Private Message
quote:

Thanks, Elaine. I wondered whether the editors at Wizards were like those at other publishers who are most interested in the beginning, but it sounds like they're unconventional in this way as well. So much the better.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  20:25:03  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Just wanted to let you folks know that the DragonBlog is up and running. Three posts are up--I've received several more, and will be adding them over the next few days.

http://dnddragonsblog.blogspot.com

If anyone here wishes to add a post, send me your text in the body of an email. Include a brief bio--perhaps your Candlekeep identity, if you prefer to keep your online persona separate from Real Life.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 04 Aug 2004 20:32:17
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  21:06:01  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
Okay, as I'm a (mostly) sane human being, I'm hoping you'll fogive me not trudging through your 20-page thread to find the answers to these questions - because I'm sure you've been asked them before. If only the search function gave you actual posts (Looks at Alaundo meaningfully!)

Anyway, I've just finished Evermeet: Island of Elves and really enjoyed it. However, some unanswered questions (SPOILERS BELOW, HIGHLIGHT TO READ):

1. How do you envision Evermeet's affairs now, two years on?

2. How successful were/are Lamruil and Maura with their kingdom?

3. How dead is Ilyrana? Is there no way that her warrior form could be brought back to her body?

4. If you can tell me, who is the child of Elaith and Amnestria - I assumed it was his daughter, but it clearly mentions a son. What is he up to, and will Elaith/Amlaruil ever learn of him?
I've accidentally read your book series in reverse order, from Liriel to Evermeet, so if this is somehow detailed in Dan & Arilyn's books, please forgive me.

Thanks very much!

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  21:42:11  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Spoilers for EVERMEET:

That's not really something I can comment on. Ed can create Realmslore that is canon until contradicted by published material, but I'm usually very careful not to post lore that hasn't been reviewed and approved by WotC staff. But I understand that Richard Byer's new book will deal with this issue.

2. How successful were/are Lamruil and Maura with their kingdom?

3. How dead is Ilyrana? Is there no way that her warrior form could be brought back to her body?

See above. Answers to these questions would be creating Realmslore, and I'm not in a position to do that.

4. If you can tell me, who is the child of Elaith and Amnestria - I assumed it was his daughter, but it clearly mentions a son. What is he up to, and will Elaith/Amlaruil ever learn of him?

Okay, this is a question I CAN answer--at least partially. Arilyn was not Amnestria's firstborn child. Amnestria bore a son in secrecy, and placed him in secure fosterage. Only her brother, Prince Lamruil, and her human husband, Bran Skorlsun, know the identity and the location of this hidden son. Whether or not Elaith learns of his son's identity is completely up to WotC. I've often expressed my interest in writing a book about Elaith, and this would be a likely plot element.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  22:05:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

Spoilers for EVERMEET:

But I understand that Richard Byer's new book will deal with this issue.

Richard Baker's The Forsaken House does spend a good portion of the book on Evermeet. The Council and the Queen are both prominently featured. These scenes show some of the politics that take place with the elves and how it's not as smooth as one might think. I have loved what Elaine Cunningham has done with the Royal Family and Evermeet. But, Richard Baker did a fine job himself with Evermeet and with his novel overall. I highly recommend anyone who wishes to learn more about Evermeet, especially the politics, to pick up this novel.

quote:

Okay, this is a question I CAN answer--at least partially. Arilyn was not Amnestria's firstborn child. Amnestria bore a son in secrecy, and placed him in secure fosterage. Only her brother, Prince Lamruil, and her human husband, Bran Skorlsun, know the identity and the location of this hidden son. Whether or not Elaith learns of his son's identity is completely up to WotC. I've often expressed my interest in writing a book about Elaith, and this would be a likely plot element.

Here's a question....is this son of Amnestria and Elaith aware of his identity and parentage?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  22:32:55  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack
Here's a question....is this son of Amnestria and Elaith aware of his identity and parentage?

What fun would THAT be?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2004 :  23:17:57  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
What fun would THAT be?

That will make for an even better novel if it's ever written. I can't wait to see who breaks this news.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2004 :  00:17:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Now that is a novel I should love to read!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2004 :  00:39:14  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
Thanks for the reply Ms. Cunningham. Interesting.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2004 :  09:27:39  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Vendui!

Hopefully I am not repeating a question asked umpteen times before, but do you plan any future adventures for Liriel? I only finished Windwalker a couple of weeks ago and as it is rather open-ended. I wondered whether the lass can finally shake off the shadow of Lolth, which still hung heavily around her in Rashemen.

Aluve, Zanan!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 05 Aug 2004 09:28:40
Go to Top of Page

Myst
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2004 :  15:25:27  Show Profile  Visit Myst's Homepage Send Myst a Private Message
Hi EC,
Been a while since I been here, mainly because I've been reading some RAS stuff (Demon Wars) so i've been buggin him on occasion and hanging in his chat room. I'm nearing like 46 books and this month is the month I started last year so 46 books in a year.....Wow. Anyway since I haven't been around I haven't heard anything about the Waterdep book. can you or someone give me an update. How's that going? I'm guessing it's like near done no? Well in either case an update would be greatly appreciated thanks EC you rock...btw no one writes elves like you that's why I must go read Evermeet soon I miss your elves :-)

Note to self: Must read Evermeet and Cormyr :)

"The Cure to Ignorance is Knowledge"

-Aristotle-
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2004 :  15:38:39  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Hopefully I am not repeating a question asked umpteen times before, but do you plan any future adventures for Liriel? I only finished Windwalker a couple of weeks ago and as it is rather open-ended. I wondered whether the lass can finally shake off the shadow of Lolth, which still hung heavily around her in Rashemen.

There are no plans to continue Liriel's adventure at present. I would certainly not be adverse to doing so, but I suspect that now that the "Year of the Drow" is over and the WotSQ series drawing to a close, the folks at WotC will want to give drow a rest.

It's my feeling that Lolth was thinking her future long before the events told in WotSQ, and she was looking into how this unconventional young priestess might fit into her plans. (The Starlight & Shadows trilogy takes place about 11 years before WotSQ. Liriel involvement with the Windwalker definitely aided in expanding the drow's potential power base, but I suspect Lolth will not see much future benefit in a continued "relationship." She's moving on to other things, and Liriel is finally free of the Spider Queen's domination.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2004 :  15:46:04  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Myst

Anyway since I haven't been around I haven't heard anything about the Waterdep book. can you or someone give me an update. How's that going? I'm guessing it's like near done no?

We turned in the first draft in June, and the editor will have revisions comments for us any time now. No word on the due date for the final version, but I'm guessing it will be a fairly tight turn-around. The book is coming out in August, 2005, and WotC is trying to building more "lead time" into the production schedule. If a book is finished several months before the release date, it's easier to market. Some reviewers won't read a book unless they have bound galley proofs three to four months before the release date.

FYI, Waterdeep does NOT follow the same pattern as Evermeet and Cormyr. It's a stand-alone adventure set in near-current time (1372) with mostly new, young, low-level characters. The title chosen for it is "City of Splendors: A Novel of Waterdeep," and it will be marketed as part of the Cities series, with a similar cover design.

I'll probably see Peter Archer, the project editor, at GenCon, and I'll ask him about the possibility of posting a sample chapter on my website. I plan to start promoting this book as soon as the final version is turned in.

Edited by - Alaundo on 10 Aug 2004 11:53:27
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2004 :  11:55:22  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:

FYI, Waterdeep does NOT follow the same pattern as Evermeet and Cormyr. It's a stand-alone adventure set in near-current time (1372) with mostly new, young, low-level characters. The title chosen for it is "City of Splendors: A Novel of Waterdeep," and it will be marketed as part of the Cities series, with a similar cover design.

Well met

Absolutely splendid I'm certainly looking forward to this tome. ::rubs hands with glee:: I assume it will be an initial hardcover release?

Could this possibly be the resurrection of the Cities series also?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 10 Aug 2004 11:56:33
Go to Top of Page

arilyn742
Seeker

Ireland
54 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2004 :  12:00:14  Show Profile  Visit arilyn742's Homepage Send arilyn742 a Private Message
What's the current date on thy "Drow Art Gallery"? The date on thy website went by an age ago, and I was just wondering...

Yonde iru, mune no doko ka oku de
Itsumo kokoro odoru yume wo mitai
Kanashimi wa kazoekirenai keredo
Sono mukou de kitto anata ni aeru
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2004 :  12:07:46  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by arilyn742

What's the current date on thy "Drow Art Gallery"? The date on thy website went by an age ago, and I was just wondering...

Yes, the web page is woefully out of date--it hasn't been updated since December 2003. A string of medical problems sidelined me for a while, which put me behind in my writing schedule. I'm finally caught up and actually a bit ahead of schedule on my current project, so now that the dust has settled I'm getting back to web issues.

I'll be updating the web site this week. Rather than further delay the "opening" of the drow art gallery, I'm getting it online asap, starting with a single room and expanding it with each monthly update. The first room will feature fantasy artist Kay Allen. I'll post a notice here when the site update is published.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2004 :  12:10:01  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo
I assume it will be an initial hardcover release? Could this possibly be the resurrection of the Cities series also?

Yes, it will be a hardcover release. I haven't heard anything about WotC's plans for the Cities series. If I get any news, I'll post a note here.
Go to Top of Page

manachild
Acolyte

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  11:54:38  Show Profile  Visit manachild's Homepage Send manachild a Private Message
Hello Elaine,

I have read a couple of your novels (the counselors and kings series) and enjoyed the books imensely.
Just a quick question:

how did you get started in writing, and what advice would you give to people getting started in writing?
:)

Edited by - manachild on 11 Aug 2004 12:04:13
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  12:59:13  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by manachild

Hello Elaine,

I have read a couple of your novels (the counselors and kings series) and enjoyed the books imensely.
Just a quick question:

how did you get started in writing, and what advice would you give to people getting started in writing?

Well met! For answers to these questions, I'm going to refer you to the FAQ page of my website, www.elainecunningham.com. Variations on these themes are addressed at length. If you have any follow-up questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Go to Top of Page

Myst
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  14:46:54  Show Profile  Visit Myst's Homepage Send Myst a Private Message
Thanks EC I truely admire you and all the authors that take time out to talk to us fanatics. I tell everyone your raven story it's a great story my fiance loves ravens now lol.

"The Cure to Ignorance is Knowledge"

-Aristotle-
Go to Top of Page

manachild
Acolyte

Australia
9 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  23:48:13  Show Profile  Visit manachild's Homepage Send manachild a Private Message
thankyou kindly for directing me there you have been most helpful.

:)
Go to Top of Page

arilyn742
Seeker

Ireland
54 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  09:38:22  Show Profile  Visit arilyn742's Homepage Send arilyn742 a Private Message
Yeah, I'm not great ith the compliments or anything, so I'll just say something like "Thanks. That's good news. I like what I've gotten to read of your books ... so far - BLASTED DRIZZT NOVELS! WHY MUST YOU BE SO LONG!?"

Yonde iru, mune no doko ka oku de
Itsumo kokoro odoru yume wo mitai
Kanashimi wa kazoekirenai keredo
Sono mukou de kitto anata ni aeru
Go to Top of Page

rumblebelly
Acolyte

Turkey
25 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  22:51:24  Show Profile  Visit rumblebelly's Homepage Send rumblebelly a Private Message
Yay! Yay! Elaine!

Tangled Webs' translation hit the shelves in Turkey and we were hopping all over like children with my editor when we had the book in our hands... you know it feels so great!

PS: just thought you'd be glad to know :)

take care

this is the end of the world news: sponsored by god
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2004 :  14:20:34  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Thanks for letting me know about the Turkish translation! One question--did you folks use the old cover art, or the new Todd Lockwood covers? ::crosses fingers, hopes for the best...::
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000