Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2004 :  00:42:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
So how about Sharlarra and Thorn? I should love to see those two get some more air time, be it together or separate...

Nope, sorry. In fact, the Waterdeep and the Gorlist story in the upcoming anthology are the only FR tales I've got in the pipeline. Nothing further planned for any of the characters--at least, not at this time.

Aww... I shall go cry in my beer... At least, I will after I get out of work and can get to a beer!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Jun 2004 00:44:04
Go to Top of Page

Vanguard
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2004 :  21:20:53  Show Profile  Visit Vanguard's Homepage Send Vanguard a Private Message
Hi I've got a questions for Elaine Cunningham,why does your half elf character puts up with Danno specially when he says thing like the future mother of my childern no wonder she feels like smacking on back of his head with her blade.

Also I would like to know why there isn't any good Barber characters in D&D fiction?,
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2004 :  23:53:14  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Arilyn "puts up with" Danilo because he brings several much-needed elements into her life: love, laughter, and music. They balance each other, despite their differences--and, for that matter, BECAUSE of their differences.

Sword and sorcery novels tend to focus on characters skilled in fighting and magic. People who pursue more mundane occupations-- such as farmers, coopers, and barbers--are more likely to appear as minor characters.
Go to Top of Page

Vanguard
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2004 :  09:40:49  Show Profile  Visit Vanguard's Homepage Send Vanguard a Private Message
I still say that Arilyn should smach Danilo around more, and on the subject of Barbers well it's an official 2nd AD&D Rogue kit, just because a person is a Barber doesn't mean he or she was always one. Also Barbers do more the cut and shave, they also pull teeth and were early doctors. Also a Barber picks up info while chatting up there client because most of the time the client doesn't think that the person cutting and shaving them will let the cat out of the bag,

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2004 :  16:00:24  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
I've never heard of any prohibition against barbers as characters, nor have I heard a writer express a desire to write about one. Since I'm a freelance writer, I'm not aware of behind-the-scenes plans for Realms-related books. If you're really interested in getting a more specific answer, you might want to direct this question to someone at WotC.

Writers create better stories if they write about things that interest them. The only barber in fiction who has captured my interest is Figaro, from the Beaumarchais plays and the Mozart operas, so I'm probably not the person to ask about this.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2004 :  16:36:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
The only barber I've ever seen in fantasy fiction was in a short story in Dragon. Sadly, I can't remember the name of the story or the issue number (we're talking like 10 years ago). The story, as I recall, dealt with a barber in his shop, being attacked by thieves. The thieves had heard he had a blade made by this legendary smith, and they wanted it.

At this particular moment, I can't see much potential in a barber character, beyond a plot like that.

Edit: Ah, the Dragon Magazine Archive CD-ROMs are a wonderful resource to have! The short story is called The Barber, the Thief, and the Smith, and it's by P. Andrew Miller. It can be found in issue 191. It's not a long tale, only about a page and a half of text.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Jul 2004 16:45:00
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2004 :  21:45:16  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Vanguard

I still say that Arilyn should smach Danilo around more, and on the subject of Barbers well it's an official 2nd AD&D Rogue kit, just because a person is a Barber doesn't mean he or she was always one. Also Barbers do more the cut and shave, they also pull teeth and were early doctors. Also a Barber picks up info while chatting up there client because most of the time the client doesn't think that the person cutting and shaving them will let the cat out of the bag,

The barber kit which you are referring to is rather central to Zakhara (Al Qadim). Should a future novel be released regarding Zakhara city life it would possibly make mention of these folk, if not use one as a character.

To get back to Elaine, let me say that for some silly reason I'd never gotten around to reading Counselors and Kings until recently. I have to say that I am now very upset that I didn't pick these up as they were released. What a wonderful job you did with these novels. I've really enjoyed them and they've become some of my favorite books set in the Forgotten Realms.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  01:29:19  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Thanks, Sarta. Glad you enjoyed the books. C&K was my first "real" trilogy--the first time I had to plan a three-book story arc.
Go to Top of Page

Ordin_Solandar
Acolyte

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2004 :  03:01:24  Show Profile  Visit Ordin_Solandar's Homepage Send Ordin_Solandar a Private Message
Ello Mrs. Cunningham

There are many references to Danilo Thann in the "Starlight and Shadows" trilogy, I am curious how the time line links up; are his meddlings with Liriel taking place pre or post "Dream Sphere's? I was reading the final book and wonder what would Arilyn Moonblade think of her consort dallying in the affairs of the drow. A race she professes to dislike intensly in "Elfshadow".

Also if you would be so kind as too explain the difference between a moonblade and a storm sword; which was forged first? Ed makes reference to storm swords in "Elminster in Myth Drannor" but not moonblades which confused me greatly...

Stepping into a flight of fancy will Liriel ever cross paths with Jarlaxle some time in the future? She seemed rather fond of the rogue in "The Best of the Underdark."

Anyhow thanks imensly for taking the time to answer some of our questions, it makes the fr experience all the more enjoyable!

Its easy not to care what people think, it harder to try!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2004 :  14:42:46  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Ordin_Solandar

Ello Mrs. Cunningham

There are many references to Danilo Thann in the "Starlight and Shadows" trilogy, I am curious how the time line links up; are his meddlings with Liriel taking place pre or post "Dream Sphere's? I was reading the final book and wonder what would Arilyn Moonblade think of her consort dallying in the affairs of the drow. A race she professes to dislike intensly in "Elfshadow".

The Starlight & Shadows trilogy takes place in 1361, starting in early spring and ending in mid autumn. The main events of Elfshadow also take place in 1361, and Danilo enters the story shortly after his last contact with Liriel. Dream Spheres takes place in 1368. For more detail on chronology, here's a link to a page on my website:
http://www.elainecunningham.com/chronology_of_fr_stories.htm

You're quite right about Arilyn and drow. She holds the typical elven attitude toward their dark kin, and she would not be amused to learn of Danilo's dealings with a drow wizard. Nor would she be pleased to learn that Dan recognizes Liriel as something of a kindred spirit. Arilyn simply couldn't understand this--she's too much of an elf. Elves are not overly burdened by political correctness.

quote:
Also if you would be so kind as too explain the difference between a moonblade and a storm sword; which was forged first? Ed makes reference to storm swords in "Elminster in Myth Drannor" but not moonblades which confused me greatly...

There is no shortage of elven magical swords in the Realms, and it's not at all unusual to encounter one kind and not another in any given setting. Moonblades were forged for the specific purpose of designating a royal family. I'm not familiar with the history of the storm swords--you may want to post that question to Ed Greenwood.

quote:
Stepping into a flight of fancy will Liriel ever cross paths with Jarlaxle some time in the future? She seemed rather fond of the rogue in "The Best of the Underdark."

I always hate to skeet shoot someone's flights of fancy, but I can almost guarantee this won't happen. Bob Salvatore isn't going to write about one of my primary characters, and I'm not going to write about one of his. The only way this scene could be written is if WotC hires a third writer to do it.

There's mention of Jarlaxle in the novella Rite of Blood, but not by name, and only with Bob's permission. That, by the way, was an interesting phone call. "Hey Bob--is it okay with you if Jarlaxle deflowers Liriel and teaches her to throw knives, both at her request, and not necessarily in that order?" His response was along the lines of, "Hey, I don't think he'd mind a bit."

This development seemed in character for both Liriel and Jarlaxle. He would appreciate her free-spirited approach to life, and since she's a Baenre, he isn't exactly obligated to follow her wishes, but he'd need a very good reason to turn her down. Liriel at the time was a young teenager, curious about life and lacking outlets for her fun-loving nature at House Shobolar. She sneaks away from her Shobalar tutors to a tavern, makes friends with the most flamboyent and life-loving drow in the place, and, when she learns that he is connected to the Baenre household, realizes that he can be trusted--at least, to the extent that ANY drow can be trusted.

But even though this bit of backstory fit the characters, even though I had Bob's go-ahead, I didn't portray Jarlaxle onstage or even mention his name. It's enough that careful readers picked up on the reference. Working in a shared world involves sharing, but it's also important to respect other people's territory. Yes, WotC owns the copyright to all the characters and stories set in the Realms, but just because you CAN do something, it doesn't follow that you SHOULD.

This is probably more information than you were looking for, but the boundaries of sharing in a shared world are not immediately obvious.

quote:
Anyhow thanks imensly for taking the time to answer some of our questions, it makes the fr experience all the more enjoyable!

My pleasure.

Edited by - Alaundo on 14 Jul 2004 09:57:40
Go to Top of Page

Ordin_Solandar
Acolyte

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2004 :  15:45:33  Show Profile  Visit Ordin_Solandar's Homepage Send Ordin_Solandar a Private Message
Jah I was thinking about putting my quandry to Ed Mrs. Cunningham but he appears to be suffering from severe postage backlog; 46 pages of questions seems to do that to a person! Anyhow thanks once again for your solutions to my FR quandries.

No Liriel and Jarlaxle but but but lol...

Just breezed through your webpage, I may even e-mail you with idea's and whatnot. However Ms. Cunningham I couldn't find any of the stats or stories behind your characters. Anyhowzen I think I may have to pick up the third book in the "Councilors and kings" trilogy. It seems that Zanthorn isn't all peaches and cream keeping the cabal stone intact when swearing to release the spirits thats no good.

Edited by - Ordin_Solandar on 15 Jul 2004 00:36:26
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  18:55:16  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

Just breezed through your webpage, I may even e-mail you with idea's and whatnot. However Ms. Cunningham I couldn't find any of the stats or stories behind your characters.

Please don't take this wrong, but I'd prefer that you didn't email me ideas. Most working writers are careful to avoid anything that might cause copyright snafus; in fact, the contracts I sign with WotC include a clause stating that the material in the submitted manuscript is of my own creation. Thomas Reid went into more detail on this issue in his recent post in the thread about dwarf novels.

Several of my characters have 2.0 stats in various game products, but only Liriel Baenre has been officially adapted to 3.5. If you go to the site map on my website, you'll find a link to Liriel's 3.5 stats.

Last time I visited the Wizards of the Coast message boards, there was a thread for fan-generated character stats. I'm not sure if it's still there, but if you'd like to check the path is www.wizards.com, to to Community, then Message Boards, then Forgotten Realms, then Forgotten Realms People.
Go to Top of Page

Ordin_Solandar
Acolyte

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2004 :  20:30:32  Show Profile  Visit Ordin_Solandar's Homepage Send Ordin_Solandar a Private Message
Jah just read that section of your webpage, lotta red tape there be! Hmm I guess I will just have to brush up on my writeing skills publish my own novel, recieve terrible reviews. Some odd ball director will find the book to be interesting and make a d movie out of it at which point I will join Paul kidd in an attempt to ressurect "Greyhawk"!

Does posting a short story online count as a published works. In that once something is published for the first time, selling the story to a publishing firm becomes almost impossible. Due to first copy rights ect?

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2004 :  12:54:38  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Does posting a short story online count as a published works. In that once something is published for the first time, selling the story to a publishing firm becomes almost impossible. Due to first copy rights ect?

A short story posted online has, in practical terms, been published worldwide. That's why these stories can be difficult to sell; after all, why should anyone pay for a story that has been widely available at no charge?

One possible exception are writing workshop sites available only to the participating membership. If you have posted a story on such a site, you should disclose this when submitting it to a paying market.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 16 Jul 2004 15:27:36
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2004 :  13:45:06  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Different publishers define "published" in different ways. For instance, if you submit to the Writers of the Future permanent "contest," you can only use stories that have been circulated as under a certain number of paper hardcopies, or (in the current rules) has recieved less than X amount of page views. (The earliest rules didn't count the Internet since it didn't technically exist then.)

Other publishers simply want completely non-public material. It all comes down to what they feel is appropriate. Some don't even specify; I don't believe Baen says one way or the other, but I haven't memorized their rules. One would think they'd be lenient about it, though, since they have that lovely Free Library.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Ordin_Solandar
Acolyte

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2004 :  21:16:00  Show Profile  Visit Ordin_Solandar's Homepage Send Ordin_Solandar a Private Message
Alrighty then time to post some short stories at icewinddale and hope for some destructive critcism. Maybe just maybe being a writer could be an interesting hobby.

I noticed that in "Silver Shadows" you make reference to Arilyn being at least aware of all of the basic sword styles on the sword coast. In fact you also said she adapts her fighting technique to compensate for certain heritage groups blade skill. As a member of a local kendo club this really intrigued me, because the opponent you face dictates what kata's you use! Yet I am not sure if I see a difference in your writeing when the half elf fights an orc or a Tythyrian. I am aware how difficult it would be to build the definition regarding a style of fighting then explain the do's, and can't be dones, involved in that particular technique. To sum up my question are WOTC authors given an indepth guid as in regards to melee weapons or is it up to you to dictate how your characters fight?

Edited by - Ordin_Solandar on 16 Jul 2004 21:18:45
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  00:00:59  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
To sum up my question are WOTC authors given an indepth guid as in regards to melee weapons or is it up to you to dictate how your characters fight?

It's up to the authors. I didn't attempt to portray various fighting styles in the Songs & Swords books. If I write another book in that series, I will, because learning a new style of fighting to deal with new circumstances will be a big part of Arilyn's story.

There is no official WotC guide to writing about combats. Authors use their own research, training, experience, and imagination to portray battles.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  00:50:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Elaine, I just finished re-reading Thornhold. I just want to compliment you on a couple of things.

First, using the paladins to show how too much good could be a negative thing was quite well done. I kinda felt bad for Algorind and his single-mindedness. Bravo!

Also, I have the original printing, when the book was the last of the Harpers novels. It made a fine coda for ending that particular series. Again, well done!

Now it's on to the two short stories and then Dream Spheres (I decided to re-read all of the books and short stories, in order this time). Thank you for having the chronological list on your website; it made that so much easier!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 17 Jul 2004 00:51:08
Go to Top of Page

Ordin_Solandar
Acolyte

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  04:43:29  Show Profile  Visit Ordin_Solandar's Homepage Send Ordin_Solandar a Private Message
Thanks for the heads up once again Mrs Cunningham!

Go Arilyn Moonblade and her traditional Japanese sword grip!

"Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" best sword coriography ever, LOTR movies a close second. I realize that all that transpires within FR is ficticious to some extent but the sword style that RAS dipicts drizzt as being proficient in makes me dizzy! Anyhow I think I have eaten up my question allotment for several weeks now, pleasent summer vacation Mrs. Cunningham

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  05:35:53  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

Elaine, I just finished re-reading Thornhold.

I love re-reading FR stories. Some recent comments on this board made me plan to read "Rite of Blood," again.

quote:

Now it's on to the two short stories and then Dream Spheres (I decided to re-read all of the books and short stories, in order this time). Thank you for having the chronological list on your website; it made that so much easier!

Speaking of Arilyn, I just tolerated David Letterman to see the vision of loveliness that is Julianna Marguiles. I stand by my firm belief that she'd make a perfect Arilyn if we were casting an FR movie. After all, Mists of Avalon showed Julianna can handle a sword.

She was in a lovely blue dress too. Didn't Dan say something to Arilyn once about she should always wear blue?
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  12:17:29  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Elaine, I just finished re-reading Thornhold.

I love re-reading FR stories. Some recent comments on this board made me plan to read "Rite of Blood," again.

quote:

Speaking of Arilyn, I just tolerated David Letterman to see the vision of loveliness that is Julianna Marguiles. I stand by my firm belief that she'd make a perfect Arilyn if we were casting an FR movie. After all, Mists of Avalon showed Julianna can handle a sword.

She was in a lovely blue dress too. Didn't Dan say something to Arilyn once about she should always wear blue?

Oh no! You mentioned Wooly and "FR movie" in the same response. *Runs for cover*

EVERMEET: ISLAND OF ELVES SPOILERS BELOW, highlight to read

Ms. Cunningham: I'm currently reading Evermeet: Island of Elves and am enjoying it much more than expected (I expected it to be good, but as a history, a bit lacking). I was wondering about your vision of Lloth's hand in the shaping of the drow - you write of how the dark-skinned elves rose out of the ranks of ordinary Ilithyrii gradually.
But the actual drow come later, after Lloth decided to make them her own, with the possibility of having children with Ka'Narlist. Do all modern drow actually carry the blood of Lloth, or did she not have children with Ka'Narlist after all?
Thanks, and sorry if I'm stretching your memory banks here.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  17:52:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

Oh no! You mentioned Wooly and "FR movie" in the same response. *Runs for cover*

*laughs* No worries, that wasn't quite enough of a mention to set me off on my "FR movie based on novel X" rant.

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  19:22:16  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
*Emerges warily*

Ms. Cunningham: Also, of a more personal nature, I was wondering if you could look at the biography I have written of you for the online Wikipedia - here - and tell me if there is anything else you would like me to add, change, or especially if there is anything you'd like removed.

I also need to know if it is only one cat that owns you.

I wanted to write "She's my favourite FR author - AND a nice person" but, whilst true, it would somewhat violate the neutrality of the article.

Edited by - Sarelle on 17 Jul 2004 19:23:02
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  23:15:45  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Whoa! Questions are piling up.

Wooly, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed Thornhold. It's a rather problematic book, since it was not written as an "ending" to the Harpers, but an introduction to a new series--a notion that was dropped while Thornhold was being written. For that reason, a lot of readers found it an unsatisfying and inconclusive end to the Harper series. Quite a few readers took exception with my depiction of paladins, and did not agree that "good intentions do not always bring unmixed results." Obviously, more time should be spent studying the Crusades during high school history classes. Desite the snafu, I really enjoyed writing about the dwarves. Ebenezer is one of my favorite characters, and I would LOVE to revisit Tarlamara, his younger sister.

Julianna Margales would be a decent choice for Arilyn, and yes, Danilo likes Arilyn to wear blue. He keeps giving her sapphires and blue topaz, even though she doesn't wear much jewelry, and occasionally strews the bed with petals from the blue roses he had shipped over from Evermeet, just for the pleasure of seeing them entangled in her hair. He's a bard. What can I tell you.

I do not know whether or not Lloth had children with K'Narlist, but I suspect not. Even if there was offspring, I would sincerely doubt that all the drow are literally descendants of Lloth.

Hi, Sarelle. Thanks for the lovely biography. My household is ruled by two cats, Siamese siblings: Gizmo and Basel. (If you can figure out how to put an umlaut (two dots) over the "a" in "Basel," you're doing better than I am.) Appropo of nothing in particular, I wanted to name the male Beltain, since they were born on April 30--an old Celtic holiday--and the female Bast, after the Egyptian cat goddess, but I was overruled by my kids. They also vetoed "Luke and Leia." Kids these days. Speaking of whom, the only change I'd request in the bio is to leave out the names of my kids. "Two teenaged sons" is probably enough information for the general public.

Wooly, one of these days I'm going to write a screenplay based on Elfshadow and email it to you, just to be contrary.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 17 Jul 2004 23:18:14
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2004 :  23:22:48  Show Profile
quote:
(If you can figure out how to put an umlaut (two dots) over the "a" in "Basel," you're doing better than I am.)

Hold down the alt key while typing in 0228 on the keypad presumably on the right hand side of your keyboard. If for some reason this doesn't work, try using Character Map for the same effect.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  00:07:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Wooly, one of these days I'm going to write a screenplay based on Elfshadow and email it to you, just to be contrary.

Truly, I think that a movie based on any FR book would only be good if the author of the book was deeply involved in making the movie.... It's not as much that I'm against any movies set in the Realms; I would indeed like to see one. It's just that I disagree with the many, many people who automatically assume that any Realms movie would be successful, particularly one based on a novel. I am of the opinion that the best FR movie would be one that intro'ed new characters and a new story, and was written by some of those who have helped make the Realms great.

As for the umlaut over the a, the methods Arivia mentioned certainly work. The Character Map he mentioned is usually, in Windows, hidden somewhere under Accessories. Or you could do as I did -- I set my keyboard to US-International. It takes some getting used to, because of the various key combinations used -- for example, ä is made by hitting the quotation marks and then the letter a. The problem is when you want the quotation marks, and it instead puts the umlaut over the next letter you type. So you have to hit the quotation marks, and then space, and then the letter... It takes some getting used to, as I said, but I do like being able to easily make all sorts of odd characters like ç, û, ÿ, ñ, etc.

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  01:13:39  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
Didn't know that was there... I think I'll stick with my Alt keys, as I'm quite proud of learning some of them by heart.

Ms. Cunningham: Thanks for the answers to the questions, and I have promptly edited the article so your sons remain publicly anonymous and your cats get the credit they demand. Sorry if the former was presumptious.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  15:52:33  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

Ms. Cunningham: Thanks for the answers to the questions, and I have promptly edited the article so your sons remain publicly anonymous and your cats get the credit they demand. Sorry if the former was presumptious.

Not at all. I talk about my kids quite a bit, so naming them in a bio seems a reasonable thing to do.

Candlekeep is a relatively small forum, and I feel more comfortable within these "walls" than I do on the web at large. (Yes, I do realize this is an illusion....)
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  16:20:57  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message
quote:

Candlekeep is a relatively small forum, and I feel more comfortable within these "walls" than I do on the web at large. (Yes, I do realize this is an illusion....)

Well... this line seems to be gaining legendary status, but as it definitely applies here - I am forced to quote Our Sarcastic Master:

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

[quote]
I'm happy in my deluded state until someone comes along to rock the boat again.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2004 :  16:46:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

You are not alone in feeling this comfort towards Candlekeep. I never posted this much or contacted so many other users privately when interacting on other message boards.

SiriusBlack (who thinks he needs to copyright his "deluded" comment since more than one scribe wishes to quote it)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000