Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2004 :  06:25:27  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
I'm not sure about the release date for the paperback of Windwalker. Some sources say April, some May. Since April's almost over, I'm betting on the latter. Sorry I couldn't be more specific!

I saw one online store list it as available well over a week ago. For what it's worth for anyone interested.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2004 :  07:17:42  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
I love a good fantasy/mystery, such as the Thraxas books by Martin Scott. (For the Brits in the audience, he's one of you, so you guys don't have to wait until September for the rest of the series . . . . ) Fantasy/mystery is something I'm thinking of trying my hand at for my own stories; I'm currently shaping up a world for this.

I think a Watson-filter is best for Elaith. Part of the "aura" of the character is that we rarely see through his eyes; only through the eyes of others, as they try to make sense of this guy who can at one moment be acting pure evil, yet at others show traces of honor and chivalry.

The obvious thing to do in such a situation, of course, is that Damilo would be his Watson. Yet that's not completely necessary -- despite my like of Danilo over Arilyn, I think our favorite moonblade weilder would actually be best in that role. Danilo would need to be in it, but maybe a step removed from Elaith at all points. That is, he's only doing it because Arilyn asked. And Elaith would, of course, only put up with Danilo because of Arilyn, though he'd hardly enjoy relying on anyone, period.

This also lets in some more Danilo/Elaith rivalry, with Danilo getting all jealous that Arilyn's paying so much attention to Elaith -- especially if she slips out in the night to help him with some extra investigations. Danilo would feel threatened, what with the two of them having so much more in common than Danilo and Arilyn . . . . Even more tension, then. Threaten the reader with a breakup. (If you can call what they have anything to break up, of course.)

But that's just off the top of my head. It probably doesn't sound as good to the rest of you, but it's an idea.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2004 :  07:22:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Finglas Leaflock

Now, I don't want to bash WotC, since I enjoy so much of what they come out with on both the novel side and the game side. But, while I understand that the book department at Wizards wants to keep exploring new characters and regions, it's hard to get why they seem to only want new characters. It's cool to get to read about new, interesting characters like Erevis Cale and Thazienne from the Sembia books, or Tzigone and company from the Halruaa books, but sometimes it'd be nice to see something new about established players such as Arilyn and friends (loosely including Elaith under "friends"). So I guess what I'm trying to say is, good luck with the proposal, my fingers are crossed, and I hope that the editors like the idea as much as I do.

Well, from around the time of the buy-up of TSR by WotC, I'd been noticing how all the newest books seemed to be about established characters. Since the initial charm of the setting, to me, was the fact that the books weren't all about the same people, I actually think that introducing more and more characters is the way to go. If nothing else, it keeps the character from becoming too uber, as Drizzt has.

However, that said, I am a bit peckish for some more Danilo and Arilyn books.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2004 :  07:25:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
I'm not sure about the release date for the paperback of Windwalker. Some sources say April, some May. Since April's almost over, I'm betting on the latter. Sorry I couldn't be more specific!

I saw one online store list it as available well over a week ago. For what it's worth for anyone interested.

Well, as I said, I picked it up yesterday...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2004 :  07:30:45  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
And it's in the bookstore I was at today, as it was at the start of the month.

Go to Top of Page

Xullrae Zauviir
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2004 :  08:58:55  Show Profile  Visit Xullrae Zauviir's Homepage Send Xullrae Zauviir a Private Message
And where I am, it's not here, have to check later today or this week if I can. Thanks again you two, I guess it just depends on where ya live and what bookstores have in stock.

Live spelled backwards is evil. Doesn't that mean that there is a measure of evil in everyone? Perhaps it was the god's hidden joke, but why are you scoffing that I admit I'm evil? At least I'm not slaughtering innocents and saying it's good and right. No matter how you look at it, it's still murder and therefore evil. Deep down, you are no better than I am. The only difference is that I may lie to others, but not to myself! ~Xull'rae Zauviir
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2004 :  09:21:03  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message
quote:
Your POV observation is also well taken. Such a tale would almost certainly work better if Elaith were observed, rather than making the observations. A Watson character might provide the needed distance.

Perhaps a more adversarial Watson character. An investigator reconstructing what has happened or spying on his actions. I'm picturing something along the lines of Boondock Saints with the relationship of Willem Defoe's character to the McManus brothers. Perhaps one of the more suspicious and stealthy Lords or agents of the Lords of Waterdeep.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2004 :  13:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

However, that said, I am a bit peckish for some more Danilo and Arilyn books.

I'll second that. The more and more that I am exposed to the unique character combination that is Arilyn and Danilo, the more and more I fall in love with these characters. They are fast approaching the top of my list of favorite Realms protagonists.

Even if we don't never see anything new about Arilyn, something new about the exploits of Danilo will be just fine . . .

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  00:17:10  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message
I like Steven Schend's idea of revenge. I know that Elaith wouldn't mind getting a hold of a certain Sun Elf (Gold Elf) and couldn't it be the cliffhangers of all cliffhangers if Kimil Neirdre in his dying words says:

"Elaith, I don't know which is more ironic, being killed by a dross like you, or knowing that in my death the Moonflower family takes another blow from me. This time its not the half-breed of Amnestria's womb, but her's and your son's demise."

Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  18:38:00  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message
quote:

Hmm... This is odd. I ordered it here in Canada from an online bookstore on April 2, and it arrived along with the rest of my order on the 8 (I remember I was thrilled to receive the books right before Easter). Ah well, I'm not going to complain I got it quickly!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2004 :  22:48:55  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Hmmm. As dying words go, you can't do better than those attributed to John Barrymore: "Dying's easy: COMEDY is hard."

I dunno, Elaine... I'm very partial to the alleged death bed discourse of Oscar Wilde:

Upon waking from a long and arduous fever, Oscar allegedly looked around the room and said, "Either that wallpaper or I must go." He promptly expired soon after that.

Don't know if it's got any truth to it, but it sure sounds like the sort of parting shot that Oscar would have loved....

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  12:47:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Hey Elaine

After a recent run through of "Evermeet" I'm hoping you can clarify something for me. In your chapters revolving around Vhoori Durothil there is the rather evocative chapter about the King Killer star and the dragon and orc attacks on the mainland elves. You talk about (but do not name) an elven city with a mythal that fails and is ravaged by the orcs - having closed its gates to Evermeet for that island's security.

Basically, where and what was that elven city? Did you put your mind to that question? From the sequence of events, it existed between the fall of Aryvandaar and the Moonblade Drawing ceremony which you date at -9000DR and seemingly has the same date as the fall of Aryvandaar according to "Cormanthyr".

Mayhap your chapter is about a city of Aryvandaar in the North and when Vhoori talks about Aryvandaar as "fallen" he is in error (being isolated) and simply it is under attack (an attack beginning in -9200DR according again to "Cormanthyr"). Or alternatively, the Claiming Ceremony didn't happen in -9000DR but some time later - fitting the fall of this unnamed city somewhere between -9000DR and the revised date of the Claiming Ceremony.

I note that "Cormanthyr" does talk about a Flight of Dragons ravaging Keltormir in -8800DR but I can't see how Vhoori would be concerned about Keltormir and orcs aren't that plentiful in those southern environs.

Just curious as to whether you have any thoughts or pointers as I'm thinking about that mythal around Silverymoon ....

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  17:19:12  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
After writing Evermeet, I had extensive notes that collected just about every scrap of elf-related lore then published in the Realms, (including the old Spelljammer comic books!) as well as a thick file of email discussions among various Realmslore scholars such as Eric Boyd and Stephen Schend. To my great regret, this file disappeared during the move from Maryland to Rhode Island. I no longer have the information I used to write that section, and unfortunately I lack the time at present to reconstruct it.

In fact, the "Realmslore elf center" in my brain has been moved out of short-term memory to a file in one of the "back rooms." When the folks at WotC assigned me a trilogy set in Halruaa, they specified that it was NOT to focus on elves. My next book was about a drow, but had very little to do with drow culture, much less elven culture. There were two elves in secondary roles--Thorn and Sharlarra--but both were solitary elves, cut off from their kind. My current project is set in Waterdeep, and all the major characters are human. (Elaith has a minor role, but he's a rogue elf functioning in a human society, and certainly not typical of his race or class.) So it has been quite a while since I pondered FR elves in terms of history or culture. I have no idea whether or not I will not be writing about FR elves in the future.

Lacking an outlet for things elven, I started a new (non-FR) series that involves developing an elven culture and history. Because I want this project to be different and distinctive, I've deliberately continued the pattern set by my recent assignments, and distanced myself from FR elven lore.

Regarding that series, the first book, Shadows in the Darkness, will be out in September. I'll be starting the second book next month, with a late-summer of 2004 deadline in mind. (That gives a year's lead-time for book 2, which will be published the FOLLOWING September...) More info to follow on my website--as soon as I have the time to update it!

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 28 Apr 2004 17:25:27
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  17:49:29  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Dang it, so you used to live in Maryland . . . .

Ironic, though. I also used to live in Rhode Island. Tiverton, to be exact. We've a house up there still, that my father's been trying to sell for a while. He doesn't want to have to worry about it, but housing isn't exactly at a premium there . . . .

Do let me know if you ever come down this way. I'd love one of those one on one "workshops" you mentioned a while back.

Go to Top of Page

Finglas Leaflock
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  20:19:52  Show Profile Send Finglas Leaflock a Private Message
quote:
And Rhode Islanders don't have much patience for driving. The local attitude seems to be that if you have to drive more than 15 minutes to get to work, you need a new job, a new address, or both.

Wow, that really makes me want to move to RI. In northern NJ, it takes me between 50-70 minutes to get to work--and it's about 18 miles altogether! And we're talking about quality time, I can tell you...

More on topic, I'm really looking forward to checking out your new fall release, not to mention the Waterdeep novel. Of course, I'm also crossing my fingers that the editors at Wizards will see the light and accept your Elaith story, another Songs and Swords book, or whatever elf-related story you pitch to them. Speaking of pitching, have you gotten any Yankee tickets yet? We know they'll play better than this, so you should be ok there. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2004 :  21:00:25  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Well, I don't remember much more than the places I frequented often. I was six when we moved there, and nine when we left. (My father was assigned to the Naval War College in Newport. I guess he didn't share the Rhode Island attitude. )

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  16:03:17  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

Pain to my eyes! Not a word of Realmslore to be read for far too long I have therefore removed a number of pennings herein, and whilst there is no particular topic within these dedicated scrolls, lets try to keep it Realms-related to help the valued authors

Thank ye

Edited by - Alaundo on 29 Apr 2004 16:05:13
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2004 :  17:53:36  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
My current project is set in Waterdeep, and all the major characters are human.

Was that focus specified by WOTC ala the Halruaa novels? Or did it just work out that all the major characters are human since they are the dominate race in Waterdeep?

Thank you in advance for any reply.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2004 :  12:51:11  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Was that focus specified by WOTC ala the Halruaa novels? Or did it just work out that all the major characters are human since they are the dominate race in Waterdeep?

The latter. I've already explored the anti-elf bias of the Waterdeep nobility in Dreamspheres. This story deals with social conflicts among the humans.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  02:10:34  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message
Ms. Cunningham...thanks so much for sticking around and listening to us blather on..it's so wonderful having you....

At the end of the day, who do you read? Is there any one pariticular author you enjoy above the rest, Realms or otherwise?

Thanks once again for giving us all you've given!

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  03:20:08  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message
I have a question I've always wondered about. It is very obvious through your books and responses here that you rely on very indepth research for your books -- which is greatly admired and appreciated. Since writing Elfshadow you have undoubtedly become comfortable enough with the material to be able to generate storylines before really digging into the research.

I'm curious about the process involved with Elfshadow. How much of the story did you have before you began researching things? Were you already familiar with the setting or did you become familiar in order to write the book?

Thanks again for your great contribution to the realms and for your willingness to spend valuable time here with us.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  17:29:08  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim
At the end of the day, who do you read?

Well met, Arion.

My reading habits are highly eclectic, and it's hard to point to a single author, or even a single genre.

I've been researching and writing a historical novel (off and on) for over two years now, so I read stacks of 16th century history. Ditto for Arthurian novels and lore. I read historical fiction, mysteries, literary fiction. Recently I've been reading Andrew Vachss--very dark subject matter, very bleak prose, but exceedingly well done. For fantasy, I'd definitely recommend Greg Keye's The Briar King and Neil Gaiman's American Gods. Rob King's Arthurian trilogy was marvelous, especially the third book, Le Morte d'Avalon. I read a considerable amount of folklore and mythology. The most recent acquisition was a collection of Sicilian folk tales. After the Waterdeep book is finished, I'll be writing a short story about the Linchetto, the mischievous "night elves" of Sicilian folklore, and I wanted to get a feel for the flavor and pacing of the folk tales. (This story is for an anthology of tales about non-Tolkienesque elves.)

In fact, a lot of my reading is research. I read several books for the recently-published article about Richard III in Renaissance Magazine, and did considerable research into the Bohemian king Wenceslas for a short article about "Good King Wenceslas," the hero of the old Christmas carol. I've also been asked to write an article about female pirates, which is right up my alley anyway, since I've been researching the life and times of Grace O'Malley for ages.

In the Realms, I particularly enjoy the short stories by Rob King and Jim Lowder. The Finder's Stone trilogy was lots of fun, and the reason I started writing in the Realms can be summed up in three words: The Crystal Shard.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 01 May 2004 18:06:18
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2004 :  17:53:43  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Sarta
I'm curious about the process involved with Elfshadow. How much of the story did you have before you began researching things? Were you already familiar with the setting or did you become familiar in order to write the book?

The setting came first.I starting reading the FR books and game materials before I had a story idea. In fact, much of the plot evolved from intriquing, unrelated details in the lore. When reading the old gray boxed set, I noted that parts of Evereska were established about the same time that King Zaor of Evermeet died. I starting thinking about a possible connection between thess two things, and eventually came up with the idea of a magical gate to the elven island that could be moved, but not closed. The need to isolate and protect that gate would explain the fairly new elven community. A half-elf protagonist provided a bridge between the human world and the elven culture.

Waterdeep was an important part of the story, so I got familiar with that city. I also spent a lot of time with maps for such things as terrain, place names, and travel times. The various monstrous compendiums were helpful, as were the spell compendiums. Back then, I pretty much read everything that was printed in the Realms--ALL the books, ALL the game materials, comic books, DRAGON articles, you name it. While writing Elfshadow, I collected and read most of the material that had been published up to that time.

There were other influences, of course. The two-layer plot--the mystery of the Harper assassin as a cover for the political machinations of Kymil Nimesin--was a personal choice, since I'm fond of mysteries and wanted to write a mystery in a fantasy setting. Danilo was inspired by the classic adventure tale The Scarlet Pimpernel. I read this book as a child, and was intrigued by the notion of a hero who was far more than he pretended to be. Danilo's persona, however, owes more to Oscar Wilde than to Lord Percy. Rupert Everet's performance in the recent movie version of "An Ideal Husband" absolutely nailed Danilo's court persona.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2004 :  04:55:38  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
I believe I'd mentioned someplace the similarity between Lord Percival and Danilo Thann. Or the other dandy act in Son of Monte Cristo. I'll have to look into this other movie you mentioned . . . .

Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  17:47:28  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message
Hi EC,when you started to write Elfsong and Silver Shadows did you envisage them as being one long novel as they run together? If so what was the reason for making them 2? Thanks

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  21:08:15  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Valdar Oakensong

Hi EC,when you started to write Elfsong and Silver Shadows did you envisage them as being one long novel as they run together? If so what was the reason for making them 2? Thanks

The books describe important events in the lifes of two characters during a time they were apart, which is why I started the books with the same scene told from different points of view. You could think of Elfsong and Silver Shadows as TV shows that run during the same time, but on different channels.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2004 :  21:22:26  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Well, they are two different stories, which just happen to take place at the same time.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  02:22:29  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Well, they are two different stories, which just happen to take place at the same time.

And which allow each featured character to grow in a manner that might not have been possible if they had remained together. I hated seeing them split up when I first read the novels, but now think the move was brillant.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  03:13:17  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
And which allow each featured character to grow in a manner that might not have been possible if they had remained together. I hated seeing them split up when I first read the novels, but now think the move was brillant.

I can't take credit--the idea came from Jim Lowder, who was my editor at the time.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2004 :  04:31:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
I can't take credit--the idea came from Jim Lowder, who was my editor at the time.

Thank you to him then. I've heard nothing but praise from you about his skills as an editor.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000